Exposed

Warmth Lies Within

I wake up early despite the fact that I didn't get enough sleep. I looked over to see Mina and I saw her in the same position before I sleep last night. I guess her body was that much exhausted.

After that, I made sure to take the blanket and the pillow and head towards my room. Then I took out some cloth for me and placed it outside to take a shower. But before that, I went downstairs and headed toward my car. As soon as I reached it, I start searching around for anything strange that I might spot. I looked under the car to see if anything leaking or any sign of someone playing with the car wires. I didn't see anything suspicious. 

Then I looked toward the main road to see if there are any cars standing around but there was none. I signed in relief. 

Since there is nothing to worry about, I headed toward my room and went directly to the bathroom. While I was taking my shower, I remembered that I didn't take my cloth with me to the bathroom. It's not a habit for me to wear cloth outside the bathroom after taking a shower. 

Right after I finished my shower, I wrapped myself quickly and went to grab the cloth on my bed. Then I remembered that Mina is still sleeping so I should be good, I don't want to slip and hurt myself in the process. 

Just when I thought I am completely safe when I was near my cloth to grab it, someone opened the door and I immediately knew it was Mina. My body froze in the spot. 

Mina was standing rubbing her eyes, "Chaengie ~~, sorry I was knocking at the door and you didn't answer that's why I entered. I see you are up." I was still standing facing Mina as I could tell that she didn't get yet that I am only wrapped in a towel right now. She removed her hands from her eyes and looked straight at me. "Why you're not saying anything Chaengie?" She went closer and I was panicking and then she stopped in midway. Her eyes widened looking at me. I think now she realized the situation. Then she lifts her hands to cover her eye and start walking backward while saying, "oh god III-I am sooo s-sooorry I I..." She didn't get to continue her words because she tripped and fall on the ground. Just as I saw her falling my body moved instantly toward her because I am worried if she got hurt. 

When I was beside her leaning and checking if she's good, her eyes widened and then she averted looking at me and got up immediately while saying,  "I am good thanks and sorry again." She throws those words fast at me leaving the room. 

Oh god, that was the most awkward situation I have ever been. I mean, I don't even let my mom see my body, not even a glance and now this happened. It's as if I needed more reason to make us uncomfortable between each other. And I am the one who thought that this is going well so far. At least she didn't see me . Thank god, imagine if I forgot my towel along with my cloth. I don't want to even know what would have happened. 

Anyway, I took my cloth and went to the bathroom to change. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Probably Mina shift is going to be just like yesterday. I grabbed my phone and texted Mr. Jinyoung if he could meet me at the bookstore cafe today. And he said he will do so for sure. I have to discuss what happened yesterday. 

After that, I left my room. As soon as I was out the door, I faced Mina room and stared there for couples of minutes. I don't know what to do. Then I decided to go to the kitchen and cook us something. 

I went downstairs and start smelling food scent coming from the kitchen direction. I followed with a daze because I am hungry at the moment. 

Mina was in the kitchen holding the pan and trying to roll the egg. She's making an omelet I guess. I approached her calmly but then I stopped and thought, 'what if I scared her, I should make some sound to inform her about my existence. ' Just as I was thinking she turned around and boom. She saw me and just as I predicted, she jumped leaving the pan while the spatula still in her hands. She was about to fall backwards but I was near enough to catch her.

Okay... How do I say this? I was holding her in a way as if we where dancing in a diagonal way. Her whole body resting on my right hand. While her hands on raised up with the spatula and her eyes staring wide at me.

"Are you okay?" Is the only thing I was able to say in this situation. Then she snapped to reality and got up fast from my catch.

"I am okay, thanks for c-ccatching me hehe. I aa-m not that clumsy normally." Well good job Chaeyoung, another smart move to make us more awkward. 

I had to switch the topic to forget those incidents. "I was coming down when I smell the food all the way from the kitchen. You know I am super hungry right now." She reacted immediately with me switching topic. "Perfect, I just finished doing the omelet. Have a seat there on the table and I will bring it to you." Before I go to the table as she instructed, I went to the fridge and took out the ketchup because I know she will use it. 

I sat down and she served me my plate. I handed her the ketchup and she smiled just by the view of it. Wow this girl really interesting. I thanked her for the food and we start eating calmly.

 After food, we just sat down in the living room watching some drama together silently. 
------------------------------------------------------

The time comes for Mina shift. She went upstairs to change her cloth and I went to do the same as well. I told her that I will be waiting in the car for her. 

While I was there, I took another glance at the car just to double check everything is good. And nothing thankfully was out of ordinary. 

Mina came and entered the car. And we drove to the bookstore. 

While I was walking with her inside. She stopped and asked me. "Are you staying here again just like yesterday?" 

I smiled at her and said, "yeah, I will be waiting for you until you finish. Also, I will get to study some book as the school year will begin soon you know. Anyway, have fun Minari." I waved her goodbye and left toward the books. Also, she waved at me as well and got inside to start working. 

I sat down somewhere to think deeply. Everyone is reading and it's quiet enough for me to think peacefully. 

It didn't take me much time to realize that I doesn't even have Mina number. It's crazy, if I don't stay with her here, then I wouldn't be able to know if she needs me. And even if she calls me, as Mr. Jinyoung might gave her my number aready, I only answer known calls. I need to make sure to get her number. 

Then I begin thinking of these mysterious stalkers. They are either coming for me or... There could be a possibility that they are going for Mina. The problem is, I don't even know much about her. I have no clue at all. What about her parents? Does she have one in the first place? It's so frustrated. I shook my head just thinking that way.

I was clearly sitting down with no book with my arms crossed. And upon my weird position, someone approached me saying, "having a hard time ha?" 

I looked up and indeed she was Jihyo with her eyebrow raised playfully facing me. I chuckled upon seeing her pose. 

"You caught me there. I am having some inner debates right now." I said while smiling then she responded. "Would you mind me joining your table." I gestured her to sit down and she did. 

"So what's giving you a hard time? Maybe I can help you." I don't know what to say. It's not an easy topic to mention to anyone. Especially if the person I don't even know fully. What if she's one of those people and that's why she approached me. It's actually crazy but I can't trust anyone yet. 

Just as my thoughts were sinking into doubt deeper and deeper, her next words break through my soul and surprised me.

That head of mine keeps thinking
Should I push? oh my heart keeps sinking 
As much as I want to find answers 
I would give it up just for your existence

I lift my head facing her with a shocking face. She smiled and continued. "Think of what you have, and what you want to keep. And don't try to foresee beyond the picture boundaries. Otherwise, you will end up losing your way back."

She stood up, "This is one of my favorite poems in the book. I hope those words were able to straighten your thoughts. Your expression tells it all. I love how much of an effect my poems can make. Now I will leave you. I hope to see you again soon Chaeyoung." She didn't wait for any respond and walked away from me.

I was still sitting lost in what happened. That poem hit me on point. For sure I want to protect Mina. I have no one left anyway around me other than her. I don't care about my own self. To be honest, I don't even know what my life would have been like if she's not here around me now. Just wondering around with no purpose in life and no one to live or talk to. When I was out the country, the thoughts of me going back and meeting my parents again after finishing school is what made me bear the loneliness there. But now, with them being gone, I lost my purpose and motivation to move on in life. But, I believe that God left me Mina to look after. Now I have at least a purpose and motivation to look forward to waking up every morning. 

I have Mina and I want to keep her. Is it selfish of me to do so? But, wouldn't her parents want her back as well. I don't know anymore.  

If she wants to live away from her parents, then I would rather her living with me....

but then something hit's me. I didn't hear her wrong, right? She said 'my poems' for sure... So, is she the writer by any chance? I mean the author name and her name is indeed completely different. But that name of her might be only a nickname. I will make sure to figure the right answer regarding her identity. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

I changed my position to the bookstore cafe to watch over Mina and around the place. It didn't take much time until Mr. Jinyoung reached the cafe and joined my table. 

"I am ready to hear what you have to share with me, Ms. Son. From the way you texted me, it seems that it's something important and urgent." 

I fixed my body and my face turn serious. "It's indeed something important that I am about to share with you Mr. Jinyoung. And you are the only one I could share such thing with. I noticed yesterday that there was a car following us and I barely was able to escape from them. But that was useless anyway because they already know where do we live." I signed and continued, "I am not sure what's in the head of those people or is it just a considence. But I want to have a safety plan for me and Mina. The house has no man and if anything happened, I won't be able to defend both of us. Especially when I don't know what's their purpose. Do you have any thoughts regarding the situation?"

The lawyer was thinking deeply while staring at me full of seriousness. He placed his hands on the table and crossed it. "That's a dangerous situation you are talking about Ms. Son. I didn't want to share this yet with you, but your parents also discovered before their death that they are being followed by some people. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to figure the truth behind it and that accident happened. We are even doing secret investigations regarding their death. I fear that something bad might happens to you as well Ms. Son. I know it's a lot to handle, but keep the past for me to deal with and you focus on what you have right now in hands. Your safety is my priority and I will make sure to take care of it today. I will bring someone to live with you without drawing extra attention. Those people will be much alarmed about the surrounding and strong enough to make you safe and buy time for us to arrive if anything serious occurs. With that, it only means that I am involving the police in this situation. Don't worry, now that it's in my hand, I won't repeat the same mistake twice." 

I was sitting there not sure how to react upon hearing the news. "Ms. Son, I will take my leave to do the necessary action regarding this situation. It wasn't my intention to hide anything from you. But we needed time to figure the truth regarding the case. Also, don't worry about those guys at least for now. They are not stupid enough to make a move this fast. Otherwise, they will be exposed easily. I will make sure to send someone to your house tonight. And that person will explain his job in details to you. I will be in contact with you if we discover anything new. You and I are the only ones who know about this, not even the Hirai family have any idea about what's going on. We need to consider all parties while doing our examinations. Please take good care of yourself until next time we meet." And just like that, he left me alone on the table in a hurry while me staring into nothing but air. 

I was sitting down thinking of everything he said. Is it really possible that my parent's died because of someone else plan? How were they able to trick my parent's cautious mind? Who are they and what did they gain with all that?

My body starts heating up with each thought that's going on through my head. Anger starts raging within my soul and the word 'revenge' is echoing through my head. I clenched my fist while boiling with irritation. Then suddenly everything fades into thin air when a voice cracked through me while touching my shoulder gently. "Is everything okay Chaeyoung?" I knew immediately it was Mina voice. She removed her hands carefully away from me, and my expression softens with her sudden appearance. And I shifted my gaze toward her. 

I looked into her directly, and I couldn't help put to let a tear escape my weak eyes. I saw her panicking and start looking around us not knowing what to do. I haven't felt the need to hug someone before as much as I am yearning for it right now. I stood up slowly and she was surprised with my movement. I stepped carefully and gently toward her like a kid and warped my hands around her body. I buried my face in her shoulder while tightening my grip on her as if wanting to empty all feeling within me with that hug. She let me do what I am doing without moving any inch away from me.

"Chaeyoung..." I heard her calling me gently. I unwrap my hands slowly from her embrace. "I have to go," is what she said after that running to her job leaving me behind standing there alone. 

I left the bookstore heading toward my car. I sat down there locking the car and laying my back on the seat trying to take a nap to escape my mind somewhere else. I closed my eyes as I feel my head as heavy as it could be at the moment. I don't want to even think how I am going to explain anything to Mina now. Just like that, I drifted to sleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------

At the special forces office...

"There you are, I have been waiting for your arrival. Finally, I have an interesting mission for you. I know you will put all your effort regarding this case to protect the client. This case fits you perfectly believe me. It hasn't been long since you finished your last mission, but this one involves a serious threat. Your job is to stay with the client 24 hours all day while making sure you look as normal as you can. More like a friend I would say. You will be in direct contact with the case holder while there will be a team following you around as a backup. This is the folder, you will find all the necessary files you need regarding the case. Also, make sure to pack your stuff and head to the address mentioned in the file. " The head officer handed the folder. 

"Roger that sir. I will make sure to be there tonight." 

"Great, I will make sure to give you a vacation after this mission ends and I won't accept any objections. And regarding this case, I trust your ability, also the Eagle will join you in the mission. Just make sure you don't overdo it like last time and come back alive Yoo Jeongyeon."

To Be Continued...

--------------------------------------------------------

Author note:

Another characters poping out in the plot. I am hoping that the way I am presnting the story is understandable rather than confusing. 

The last part of the chapter had a different precpective than what it's been addressed since first chapter as we keep seeing Chaeyoung only prespective in the story. I am still debating if I should make other prespective as I see Mina as a main cast in the story even thought it doesn't seem like it to you. Her character is still in the dark side of the story as there is not much information been revealed yet. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting.