Bold vs Dense

Warmth Lies Within

Before I proceed to the chapter, I wanted to explain a term from the last chapter that I thought maybe someone might not know what it means.

In the Chief and Jinyoung conversation, they mentioned the Witness Protective program. It's basically a protection program for a witnessed who's his/her life is threatened and need protection. They give necessary money to the target as well as changing their identity so that finding them by other people would be hard since all their legal paper is changed completely. 

That's simply what it is.
Now lets's continue the story...

[ Chaeyoung Inside the Car ]

My sleeping is always light enough for me to notice and hear anything around. When I meet Mina the first time, despite how much tired I was, I was able to hear her falling from the bed in the other room across me. And when I am mentally or physically exhausted, I might not catch sounds surrounding me but if something moving near or touch my body, I can react fast enough regarding it.

When I went out of the bookstore, I decided to stay inside my car waiting for Mina. I had my seat moved back a little while resting my body on it. It didn't take me long to pass out. And as much as my mind was tired of thinking and sleepy, I felt at some point something getting near my face. I was calm and didn't move waiting for the right moment. I haven't learned material arts for nothing. My body is flexible enough and can defend itself when it's needed. 

As soon as I felt something touching my face, my hands moved fast enough to grab it and I shoot my eyes open immediately. To my surprise, it was Mina the one in front of me. I was thinking too far about this situation. Of course, those people that are following us made me extra cautious. 

While I was so impressed by the situation, Mina spoke bringing my thoughts back, "Hmm... Chaeyoung?" I looked at Mina casually in the eyes. "Hey Mina, I see you finished work." I smiled a little when she spoke again. "Ah-mm yyeahh I I ffnisshed wwwork." She was stuttering a lot, wow, is there something wrong?

Then her next words answered my stupid questions. "Cchaaeyoung could youuu ahmm... lleave myy hhhand ahmm iff youu don't mmind?" I looked at my hand and hers, I was grabbing it hard which obviously pulled her near my body and all this time I didn't realize our awkward position. How dumb my mind could be for real.

I left her palm and raised my hand in the air pushing my body back on the seat in an attempt to make it further away from what it is now. She moved her body fast and start coughing softly while fanning her face. I got worried even though I am embarrassed because of what happened but I am concerned about her now. Then I thought maybe I need to open the car window. I proceeded to do that and then turned her way, "are you okay Mina? You can't breathe? I opened the windows. Do you want to step outside?" I was about to get out of the car when she grabbed my hands. I turned toward her and she released her hand from mine fast. "I am okay don't worry. I am just ahmm tired... Yeah tired and hungry and thirsty. Yeah."

Now I feel bad. "Oh then let's go home fast so that you can take a shower while I will make us some food."  

I fixed my seat and turned the car on. Taking a glance at Mina, I saw her not putting her seatbelt on. So I moved my body toward her to pull it but then I saw her backing off with a confused reddish face. I am really getting worried, what if she's getting sick. Without any hesitation, I placed my hand on her forehead. And guess what? There is nothing wrong with her temperature. "I thought you have some kind of fever but your temperature at a normal level for me. You know what? Let's head home fast so that you can rest. Please put your seat belt cause I can't drive unless you do." I said with my still concerned face. 

She moved right away and put her seat belt without saying anything back. Then I said, "that's more like it?" giving her a thumbs up. And just like that, we drove toward our home. 

----------------------------------------------------
[Mina at her Room]

Cheayoung is in the kitchen cooking for both of us. I am here in my room picking the cloth I am going to wear after I shower.

But like for real, Chaeyoung is very unpredictable. I was dying of embarrassment in front of her and she keeps touching me casually. It's as if doing these things is so normal for her and ordinary. Her parents told me that her personality is bold but that's not the case at all. All I see her is a dense and clueless person. I could imagine her in a romantic relationship and laugh all day on her actions. I would feel sorry for that person for real. 

I grabbed my towels and went ahead to take a shower. 

While I let the hot water slides by body feeling warm in every inch of my body and with the relaxed state I am enjoying now, I couldn't help but start thinking about my situation. 

I would be lying if I said I am not enjoying the stay here with this kid. Even though it hasn't been long enough yet, but her presence really success in calming my mind. My parent's death and hers really exhausted me. It's been almost two years when my parents died in a car accident and I can't yet stop blaming myself for it. It was all my fault and I won't forgive myself no matter what happened.  I didn't know that day, when I was talking to them on the phone, will be the last time I hear their voices. I didn't even get the chance to feel their embrace for years now since I moved to study here. And on top of that, the people who took it on their shoulders to take care of me, followed my parents as well leaving me behind all alone again.  

I am such a cursed child. Because of me, all of them died and because of that, I decided to stay away from anyone. As soon as I knew Chaeyoung was coming back. I decided to run away immediately without facing her. I was scared that she might hate me, blame me or even start attacking me with endless questions about my relationship with her parents. But... I couldn't let it slide like that. I had to stay and say a proper thanks to her regarding her parent's kindness. I wanted to stay and say my last goodbye to her parents along with her and face the reality no matter how harsh it could turn too. 

Surprisingly, none of what I thought of occurred. This girl didn't ask me anything at all. She took care of me and insisted on keeping me in the house. But I know why she did that. She probably wanted me to stay because of her parents. Since they kept me here with them in the house, she probably thought that I need help and tried to keep me the way I was before her parents died. 

Despite this girl kindness, I can't let myself love her. All those people I loved been taking away from me. Or it tuned out to be the biggest lie in front of my eyes. That eyes that couldn't see through people, caused me pain after pain. If I knew that what we see and hear could turn into an illusion, then I would have rather shut my heart off and continued walking away just like I used to do. And maybe that way, I wouldn't have to receive the sad news about my parents. As well as, not meeting Chaeyoung parents and their kindness along the way. 

If I got attached to this kid, I might lose her as well. I don't want that to happen. Call me selfish but my heart can't handle the further pain anymore. 

Thinking again about my situation, make me questions my purpose in life. What am I even living for now? There is no one to see or look forward to spending time with. And love life is something I gave up on after what happened. Look at me now, Love... What a big joke it is. All that I have been through till now begin with that single word that called Love. What should I do with myself? I wonder if leaving this world could give me what I want. 

Just as I was sinking deep in realizing the miserable situation I am in now. A voice snaps me out of darkness. "Mina, are you okay?" Then I heard knocking on the door. That's Chaeyoung probably checking on me. I wonder how much time I spend like this thinking and sinking my soul deeper and deeper into this swamp of self-hate and blame. "Mina..." Oh, I forgot to answer her. "I am okay Chaeyoung. Sorry for taking to long, I will be out shortly."  I didn't even get the chance to wash myself probably. 

"It's okay, please take your time. I was just worried about you. I will be in the living room." That's what Chaeyoung said before leaving me. I am really thankful. If it wasn't for her voice, those thoughts might have dragged me somewhere I would rather not think what would have been. Now I shall start my real shower I guess.

------------------------------------------------------

[Chaeyoung in the Living Room]

I was so worried about Mina a while ago. She really took a long time and I thought that something might have happened to her. Thank god that she's okay. I need to keep checking on her from now on. Also, I am thinking of telling her to sleep with me in my parent's room. That way I can make sure that we are at least at one place if something unexpected happened. 

I am really not in the mood to watch anything on the TV right now. I need to think how to make this house secure for both of us. 

While I was thinking hard, my phone rang. I looked and it was Mr. Jinyoung calling me. So I picked it up immediately and he started the conversation. "Hello Ms. Son, sorry to distribute you at this time. But since it's important that's why I called. It's regarding our discussion today. I told you that I will find you someone who can guard the house and the both of you and Mina. The person is coming today not sure what time though, so please expect someone knocking your door anytime soon. Also, for your safety, consider the Guardian as one of your friends and act according to that. That way you won't draws attention to whoever watching you and perhaps my men can catch them as soon as they decide to make a move. The guard will stay with you 24 hours all day long. This is all that I wanted to tell you and if you need anything or something happened, please let me know." We are really lucky to have this man beside our family. At least I have someone to go to when I am in trouble. "Thank you for letting me know Mr. Jinyoung. I will make sure to take care of our Guardian don't worry. If anything happened, I won't hesitate to contact you. And regarding our last conversation about my parent's death, please let me know if you found out anything." I can't help it, there is no way for me to rest my mind before I figure the truth. "Sure Ms. Son, I will make sure to update you if something new came up. Please take care of each other and have a safe night." 

The conversation with end after we pet each other goodbye. I took a deep breath bending my back on the couch facing the ceiling. It's indeed an exhausting day. Well, at least it would be mentally for me and physically for Mina, I suppose since she's taking that long showering. I closed my eyes for a good ten minutes before doing otherwise. I stood up moving away from the couch toward the window. 

It's dark outside and we even haven't eaten yet, that's not good at all. While I was scanning the area casually around the house, suddenly I saw something shocking that sends chills into my whole body. There was someone who's trying to climb our gate. I start panicking as I don't know how to react to that. I looked at the road and saw a black car parked outside. It's not big, which means that there shouldn't be more than five people as a max. But there is only one person that I am seeing right now, a driver that most likely won't move from the car and since I see no sign if anyone else, I will assume that I have to deal with one person for now. 

I sprinted to the parking door where I park my car at because I am looking for a spot that could cover my body well. I looked through the window and saw the person almost jumping into our land. I opened the door of the parking place slowly and carefully for the person to realize after the jumps completely. I want to bate him into coming my way so that I could knock him out. I grabbed one of the heavy tools around me, ready for any action to be done. My heart was racing like crazy at the moment. Then I heard a strange voice. It's like something made contact with the gate outside causing the echoed sound to be heard slightly though. Then I heard a second and a third time. I might be crazy but sounds like a bullet hitting a metal just like in a movie. The crazy thing is that there is gun shoot sound for me to be sure about it.

I waited for a little while and when I decided to take a peck on the outside, I heard gentle footsteps coming near me. As I said, I am very good at hearing sounds around me, no matter how quiet it is. So I ready my position for a direct hit on the head as soon as I see an open opportunity. 

With all that I got, I tried to regulate my breathing process ready for action. I saw a figure in front of me giving it's back and a gun is pointed straight opposite my way. It was a perfect chance for me to strike. So I went for it as fast as can. But unfortunately, the person was fast enough to roll his body away feeling the air I caused by swinging the tool in my hand. 

The person landed on the ground with his gun pointed in my direction after flipping his body away from me. At that moment, I knew it's the end for me since he's far away from me now. And whether I move or not, one shot is more than enough to send me away to my parents. 

------------------------------------------------------

[Jeongyeon in Her Way to Chaeyoung House]

After taking my luggage out my dorms, I took a cab to drop me near Ms. Son house. I read everything in the files to make it easy for us to communicate. 

There was one thing that captured my attention while I was reading the files. The girl that is living with Ms. Son has not much background information about. I don't even know her complete name. The only thing I know she is called Mina and that she start living in the house two years ago before Ms. Son parents death. It makes me wonder if I should take extra attention to her more than anything else. 

My main goal is Ms. Son safety since there was nothing mentioned regarding that girl called Mina other than just a mere info. I have to make sure that all people surrounding her are being watched and considered as suspect. Other than that, I should be good around Ms. Son and I should make sure to act normal. More like a friend relationship so that we don't draw attention to us for my sudden appearance. 

It's been a long time since I enjoyed being with friends or have the thought of it. Because just seeing people around me walking, talking and having fun is enough to remind me of her, my friend smiley face and bubbly personality. She never failed at making me happy each time we meet, even the thought of her bring joy to my soul, but now her memory brings me pain and grief. 

Anyway, I ordered the driver to drop me a little far away from Ms. Son house. I read that there are people shadowing her, so I need to approach the house in the most natural way possible. With that, I can check if there is anyone near the house around the area. 

I looked around the house and scanned the area well. If anything, I look like someone lost her way with the way I am walking with the bag. I went back toward the house, as soon as I passed the corner I saw an unusual sign in front of me. There was a person who's trying to climb the gate house. I looked at the road and saw a car but nothing can be seen inside it. 

It was a very dangerous situation. I kept half my body behind the wall and let go of my bag. My hand went to my back grabbing my gun. That's the only option I have, I can't expose myself at all now. The goal is to make them withdraw whatever plan they have for now and scaring them from an unknown source would be the best option. My small gun had a silencer placed on it so that I don't grab civilians awareness.

As fast as I can, I aimed my gun at the metal beside the person to scare him. Without any further delay, I pulled the trigger once and it only made the person turn right and left upon the sudden shooting. Then I shot two more pullets as a warning and it worked as he jumped down immediately running to the car in a hurry. As soon as he got in, the car left fast from my sight. 

Now is the hard part began. I am not sure if there are others somewhere other than that guy inside the house. I went slowly pointing my gun straight, checking all my sides. The house is built in a way that you can't see what's inside, that's a double-edged sword situation. If they are inside, I can't see them, but they can spot me easily. Damn...

Climbing the gate is super easy thanks for my training. I jumped inside the property and searched for any clue around me. An open door grabbed my attention and I processed walking toward it. With my calm and gentle steps, I stepped into the parking space. They might have gone from here to the inside house. 

When I was focusing my eyes scanning the place, I felt a sudden air blowing from behind and instantly I flipped my body to face the source of it. I was surprised when I recognize the face I saw. She was holding a tool in her hands. There were no lights to see clearly, but as I said, our training really taught us how to handle nighttime attacks. She probably thinks that I am a bad person, her eyes show me how terrified she is for her failed attack. 

"Ms. Son! Don't fear anything, I am your bodyguard that Mr. Jinyoung requests to have for you." I saw her dropping her hand with the tool slowly. "please calm down and open the light so that you can see clearly." She moved a little to the side without taking her eyes from me and turned the light. I dropped my hand with the gun a well. "That's better, I am sorry to have such a thrilling first meeting, but I can tell that you had an idea about what was happening outside a moment ago." Then she finally spoke something to me. "Were you the one who shoot the bullets? I heard it making contact with the gate outside." I see now that I am not protecting a simple adolescence here. She was able to hear and recognize that it was bullets that are making those sounds outside. On top of that, she had her plans regarding the situation, even though I doubt that she can do something about it alone like that. But as I thought, because of the way the house been designed, she was able to spot the intruder without them noticing her movements. It's going to be a very interesting duty this time for me. "Correct Ms. Son, I had to scare them away without exposing myself. And I assume that no one got the chance to step inside the house yet. But just to double check, I will look around the house just in case. And to eliminate all doubts about me, that's my card. You can look at it while I am going around." I took my card out of my packet and handed it to her. Then I sprint outside.

After making sure that there is no sign of any danger, I went back to the parking space and the girl was still there as if she was waiting for my arrival. "Welcome back Ms. Yoo, is everything okay?" I put my gun back where it should be and faced her. "The house looks clear and no sign of any suspicious movements for now. I think there won't be next time for them since they witnessed a serious gunshot and they would have to think twice before doing that again. Also, from tomorrow we will have a group following us as a backup, that way if they thought of breaking into the house, we would be ready to catch them in no time."

She looked at me as if trying to search for conformations from my words. Then she signed in relief and handed me back my card. "I will entrust you our life, Ms. Yoo. I hope we can help each other in the process." 

When she was about to walk me inside the house, I remembered that I left my bag outside. Oh man, I hope it's still there and no one dares to steal it. "Ms. Son, could you please open the gate door for me, because I forgot my belongings outside and I don't want to climb the gate again you know" I scratched the back of my head and looked stoned for a minute. "Oh sure, come let's go together and grab it."

We went out and thank god my stuff is still there. I took it and we went back to the house.  

------------------------------------------------------

[Chaeyoung Leading Yoo to the house]

After taking Ms. Yoo package, we start heading into the house. I still haven't told Mina about anything and guess what, where am I going to leave this girl sleep? I have no idea at all. 

I trust Mr. Jinyoung and this girl probably worth his trust. But that doesn't mean that I am going to easy my defenses. I have my own share of responsibility as well along this girl. I can't just leave everything on her shoulder and put her in danger as well. Let's see what's going to happen from now on.

Now with more people in the house, I hope we can have some adventures together. I know it's a serious situation but that doesn't mean that we can't have fun just like any normal girl in this universe. I used to hang out with my savage Yoda back in the US. I miss that girl already. probably will contact her soon hopefully. 

We entered the living room and I saw Mina popping her head from the kitchen with a frying pan. I looked at her with my confused face and upon seeing me, her expression softens and she let go the pan in her hand running toward me. "Chaeyoung I saw someone outside walking around the house with a gun. Was that you by any chance?" She looked at me anticipating the answer in a hurried manner. 

I think she saw Ms. Yoo when she was checking the house for our safety. "Easy Mina, that was the new bodyguard that I hired to be with us from now on." Just As I was saying it, Ms. Yoo comes up from behind me with her bag greeting Mina. "Hello Ms. Mina, I am Yoo Jeongyeon the new bodyguard. It's nice meeting you." She said it firmly full with a serious tone. 

Since I can't do anything with this situation, I had to drag both to set and start explaining what's happening. 

While I am doing that, I made sure not to mention what happened outside a while ago. Also, I didn't mention my real reason to Mina. I won't do that until I open my parent's commandment. For now, she would know that I brought her just to assist us when we are going around together. Also, I own a company, so it shouldn't sound strange to have a bodyguard.

After finishing what needs to be said, I told them to join me in the kitchen to eat for super late dinner with no objections. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Our late dinner finished and we spent the time in the kitchen together to clean. It was a fun time even though we didn't really speak that much.

We sat in the living room and I had to see where Ms. Yoo will be sleeping tonight. I looked at her and I noticed that she's about to start a discussion, so I gave her my full attention. 

"Ms. Son, please refrain from calling me with the surname and instead just address me as Jeongyeon or unnie if you like. Also, it would be very convenient if you allow me to sleep her on the couch so that I can watch the house well. But I need to keep my bag somewhere near " There is no way I am allowing this to happen. 

"Unnie, " I called to hear and I saw a smile was about to creep in her face but she kept herself composed. That was a cute view to see. "It would only be right for me to address you that way. Also, I would like you to call me Chaeyoung or whatever might pop into your head. I really love to have nicknames hehe." She nodded to my request and said, "roger that." 

"Wow, Unnie, that sounds so cool for some reason." I chuckled and the continued because of her expression that is still fixed well despite me trying to make her act naturally. "Also Unnie, there is no way I am going to let you sleep here in the living room." She was about to protest when I spoke preventing her from to do so. I need to provide her with a smart reason for her to not object upon my request. "I will have you sleeping in one of the rooms in the second floor. That way if something happened you are much closer to us and ready for any action. Right?"

I saw her thinking deeply for a moment then she faced me. "Sound reasonable to me." Then I looked at Mina, "Minari, would you mind me invading your room so that Unnie can sleep in my parent's room?"

"How about this Chaengie? I would rather join you instead because that room is bigger and the other one fits for our Unnie to sleep comfortably." Mina beamed a smile that could warm your soul and it made me relax as she trying to tell me that she's okay with the plan being placed. What Mina said actually makes all the sense, I turned my face to Jeongyoen but I saw that her expression has softened for some reason and then she spoke up. "Ms. Mina idea seems more practical. Even though I don't mind sleeping anywhere." 

"Please call me Mina, you don't need to address me formally. That way we can all get along well." Jeongyeon nodded and said, "that would be my pleasure, Mina." 

"The pleasure is mine Unnie." Seeing each other interacting like that makes me happy. It really warms my heart and makes me feel alive for some reason. 

"Let's head to the rooms to arrange it well to sleep. Also, Minari, you need to sleep soon because you have work tomorrow and you didn't get the chance to rest yet." We stood up and headed to the second floor. 

Mina went to grab some of her stuff from her room while I went to make a spot for her to put her belongings in. I took out an empty bag and opened my parent's closet. I took a long glance at each piece as if trying to save the picture in my head. Then I start grabbing the cloth bit by bit placing them gently in the empty bag. 

When I finished doing so, I sat down beside the bag that it's full now. I took one of my mom cloth and brought in next to my face. My mom scent still lingering on this piece. I felt my eyes getting watery slowly but I was fighting them to not fall down that I felt myself choke upon my attempt. Then Mina appearance shacked my entity which caused me to stand up fast facing her with a smile. I dropped the piece back in the bag and closed it. "Mina I made a room for you in the closet. You can go ahead and start putting your stuff. For me, I will do it later. I will go put this bag in the living room."

I left the room in a hurry taking my way downstairs. I placed the bag somwhere in the living room and before I go up again, I took a deep breath to relax my sad soul and remove the heavy feeling I gained from remembering my parents. 

After that, I went to Jeongyeon to see if she needs anything before I go to sleep. I saw that she didn't bring much stuff only the basic stuff I guess. "Unnie, do you need anything before I go to sleep?" She looked at me shaking her head. "Thank you for the thought, I am okay for now. My job is your safety and anything else is not important." I looked at her a daring eye, " and my job is to provide the necessary comfort for my bodyguard so that you can function in a fully automatic." To my surprise, I heard a giggle escaping . "As you wish," is what she said after that. 

It's really funny observing this Unnie. She's like a robot out of control and needs repairing. "Alright Unnie, have a good night. Mina and I sleeping in the room across yours. If you need anything, don't hesitate to knock on our door." She nodded, "thank you and good night for both of you."

Just like that, I left the room back to Mina. I saw her sitting on the bed with both her hands placed on it while swinging her legs up and down like a child. I liked what my eyes are seeing, it's like I am going to sleep with a kid in the room. While I was admiring the view, Mina noticed me staring and she immediately stopped what her body was doing looking at me nervously. 

"Mina, let's go to sleep. You have work tomorrow." I closed the light and opened the small lamp that is placed on the small desk. Then I walked toward the bed climbing it taking the right side of it. Mina was looking at me with her eyes wide open as trying to make sense of my movements. The bed had many bellows on it, so I grabbed two of them and placed it in between while she's watching me. "Alright Minari, this way we can both pretend that we have our own separate beds. Don't worry, I don't make sounds at night nor move much while sleeping. So it should be fine for you. Now please, rest your body and go to sleep, I don't want to see my Minari tired expression tomorrow, araso?"

To be Continue...

------------------------------------------------------

Author Note:

Here is another chapter that convey much more information about what's some of the characters feeling hidden specially Mina. I am kind of not satisfied with the way I am narrating the story in the last chapters specifically when other chracter perspective being shown. Despite that, I am going to move on with the stroy hoping that I can reach a point where I am pleased with the content. 

Also, are you guys ready for Jitzu. Cause am, myself excited to write about it. While for 2yeon, I hope that you guys grasped the story and the clues that I throw in. 

Just so that you know. I am as dense as Chaeyoung herr in the story when it comes to love. Your Authornim is a lonely potato since birth till now and have no love experinece whatsoever. So if you saw the events being addresed foolishly, just blame my innocent imagination as I can't promise any touchy events to happen in this story yet. 

I will check the chapter later for any language mistakes.

Thank you for reading and subscribing for the story. Your comments really pushes me to write more and go further with the plots. And I am really thankful.