You Are Safe

Warmth Lies Within

I think I overreacted a little. I shouldn't be pushing her to something she doesn't want. But I need to make sure what's she really want. 

"I am sorry if I might scared you somehow or looked very demanding. It just that you want to leave without even having a proper discussion with me. I want you to remain in this house just the way you were when my parents were around." I paused a little while looking at her, then I continued.

"Ms. Mina, what do you exactly want to do? What do you really wish to do? Do you want to leave or stay? Please don't think you're being selfish and just be honest with me. I want your real desire. Do you wish to stay?" I looked at her in the eye anticipating her answer. 

Part of me wants her to stay. But at the same time, I don't want to force anything on her. 

Since she wants to move to another apartment, that means she has no place to go back to. Which only give me more reason to keep her in the house. 

She stayed silent looking at her hands. I can see how hesitant she is to speak her mind. Most likely she won't show her real desire. So I have to deal with this fast. 

I can use my parent's testament that they left to open after the ten days end to my favor.

"Ms. Mina, how about this. Why don't you stay here until I open my parent's testament, which is 6 more days from today? Please. I want you to be there and listen to what they want to say to us. So please, until then, just stay here and after that, I won't stop you from doing what you want." My eyes were getting watery from mentioning my parents. I have been speaking about them casually but their absence is paining me deeply. It's choking me slowly, Little by little. 

I can see that she understood my message. My offer is only a temporary solution for now. 

He expression start to soften. She looked into my eyes and let a small sign. "Okay. I will stay here until then. As you wish." 

You can't imagine the happiness I am feeling right now. I was able to buy myself some time to convince her staying. Mom, Dad... I will make sure to take good care of her. 

I smiled at her, "Thank you for not turning down my offer. Now that you're staying, let's just pretend that we just meet and start introducing ourselves to each other." I fixed my position and start introducing myself. 

"Hello, I am Son Chaeyoung, and I am 18 years old. You can call me Chaeyoung. What about you?" Just like that, I said it with excitement waiting for her response. 
She bends her head, then she chuckled a little. "Hello Chaeyoung, I am Mina. You can call me Minari if you want. It's nice to meet you."

"Okay Minari, hehe I like this name, I will be calling you that from now on since you already gave me permission." Mina laughed at my childishness and said, "as you wish Chaengie."

I was surprised, that came out of nowhere. But I like it though, I am not complaining. But she didn't mention her full name. I won't push her to open up. I hope that I can make some progress while she's staying here with me.

Mina then seems to remember something, "oh, I forgot to mention my age. I am 21 by the way. And don't bother about the age difference because it doesn't matter to me as well as I believe that, since you lived in the United States, you also learned that there is no formal addressing for an elder." 

I was completely shocked. She's bigger than me in three years. Are you kidding me? I am in disadvantage here. And I thought that I am going to have the leading role in this house. Fate... Why you so harsh on me :(.

She saw how surprised I was with her age. Well, I was basically being brave before and talking with confidence not aware of the between us. Yes, I lived outside Korea for a while but I have never forgotten my manner at all. Giving respect to an elder is something that I won't ever give up on. 

"Hey Chaengie, don't over think it. It's a simple matter. In my country, we never had such rules. We call each other casually with no worries. But of course, we do give respect to the elder in our own way." Mina said those words while smiling with joy. I can see the love in her eyes mentioning her country. I am happy to see that new side of h...

WAIT, WHAT?! Another country? That's mean she's not Korean. I looked at her with my eyes open as wide as it could be. Her expression seems to catch up fast to what just happened. I think she didn't realize what she just blurts out. 

Yes, I am surprised and yes I want to feed my curiosity. But I won't take advantage of this slip that she made without her intending to do so. I want Mina to open up naturally to me. 

I need to change the topic. "Oh, that's nice to hear. Since it's a normal thing in your country, then I will get used to it as well." I smiled as if everything looks normal. "Let's go up to my roo- I mean your room and move my belongings to my parent's room" I winked at her ;) just to create a playful atmosphere. After leaving my spot and in the middle of going up the stairs, I noticed that she didn't move. So I turned back facing her direction. " Aren't you coming Minari? I might get to see stuff in your room I am not allowed to look at." I smirked at her and start running back toward the room. Then I heard her immediately yelling, "Yaaa, you better wait for me." and just like that I made her run to the room as fast as she can. Yes, I might seem the serious type of person, but I know how to enjoy myself with people I am around and I am comfortable with.

------------------------------------------------------

Without looking deep into my old room I used to sleep in, I went directly to take out the luggage that I left in the room three days ago. I am actually shocked by the fact that it still placed in the same spot unmoved.

Mina took couple seconds to reach my room. I was already grabbing my stuff to head out to the other room. "Let me help you", Mina offered to help and dragged one of my bags with me out the room. It's kind of heavy. I let them bring me all my belongings from the United States as I was in a hurry for my parents funeral. I still have my old stuff hidden in Mina room. I might take a look later.

We placed the bags and I decided to open and empty everything. But then I remembered that my parent's belongings still in the room and I need to get rid of everything. 

I went and stood in front of the closet. I stopped while looking at their clothes. The room is filled with their scent, especially the closet. Those clothes I will probably end up giving it to people whose in need. But that fact is paining me hard. I don't want to let go yet of those small things that remind me of them. 

Mina was behind me standing probably somewhere in the room. I remember that last night she was crying. I don't like to cry and I don't want to see anyone crying either. It hurts my heart. I turned around and saw her standing behind me with soft, worried eyes. I decided to calm myself.

"Well, I guess I still need to empty this closet. But I still need to take some stuff out of my bag. I will try emptying it tomorrow. Mina, you can sit on the bed while I take out some of my belongings." With that, I drifted my thoughts away from those sad thoughts. While Mina listened to me obediently and sat on my parent's bed watching me.

I took out some perfumes and other stuff of that kind that I need in a daily basis. I m not a fan of makeup, but I use simple tools. While I was busy searching for pajamas to sleep in tonight, Mina spoke breaking the silence in the room.

"Oh... Isn't that the book you were holding today in the bookstore? Jitzu??? What does that even mean?." I wasn't expecting her to remember the exact book I was holding. She has such a good eye. 

"Nobody really knows what this title means or refer to. They even don't know the real identity of the writer. This book full of mysteries."

Then Mina looked at the bottom of the book. "But it said here is written by Park Jisoo. Isn't that basically a girl name?" This girl seems interested. I am actually wondering as well about the whole mystery this book posses. So I decided to go with the flow of this conversation. 

"That's what most people thought at first. Everyone was saying that's a woman wrote this book. But if you actually looked at the poems you would get confused. Sometimes it seems it's talking about a man and other time it seems like it's directed towards a girl. So people couldn't finalize their assumptions." Mina was quiet after what I said. So I lift my head to face her. She was looking at me as if she wants to say something. So I decided to speak my mind. "What? Is there something in your mind? Tell me. We are just exchanging thoughts right now." Her expression seems a little shocked at my response. She's probably surprised about how I am able to read her mind easily. Even though it's not really the case. Otherwise, I could have figured her story with my parents. But I literally have no clue. 

She then spoke her thoughts. "I think that the writer could be a woman and the poems are written to a woman as well. It's a big possibility you know." It seems that she said those words very carefully in my presence.

"Well Mina, you're such a genius. That's actually could be very true. I mean those poems could be interpreted differently from a person into another. It's in a way shares the writer and reader story coincidentally. I even read the first poem and I was able to relate somehow to it." 

Mina looked excited about what I said and then asked me, "Can I read the next poem then? Let's see what we can figure out with it." That's actually very thrilling. "Yeah why not, let's see what it has to say." I left whatever I was doing and focused on Mina who's opening the book to read.

"Okay her I go." Mina said beginning to read.

Poem 2: Catch Me

Flower, are you? Let me breath 
Couldn't resist, but to sink more deep
Hands extending, intending to reach
Expensive, are you? But I ain't no cheap

Wow, another ambiguous piece of puzzle. That's because the title and the poem seem to lead to two different directions. 

I really want to know what's Mina thoughts about this. "So Minari ~, what do you think of this one?". She seems very ready to speak her predictions. 

She proceeds by saying, "so, you probably noticed that the title kind of different from the content. It seems as if she wants the person she's talking about to catch her, but instead, the poem is showing the writer going after the person. It would seem that she's daring herself to catch. Also, I am pretty sure this person she's trying to catch is a girl since she said 'flower' in the poem while referring to the individual."  Mina looks very satisfied and confident about her assumption. It does make sense though. 

"Wow Minari, you are indeed good at analyzing. You also seem to be confident that the writer is a woman herself. Well, either way, I can't deny how the writer words carry different meanings in her short poems. Don't you think so?

"Yeah Chaengie, I think I like this book. Can I have it?"

"No sorry you can't hehe, but if you want,  let's share it and read whenever we have time. How about that?" I said raising both my eyebrows on her with a warm smile on my face. 

"Deal, let's read it again together Chaeyoung, but now let's go to sleep so that you can rest since you probably didn't get much sleep because of the plane and funeral." She put back the book where it was and stood up walking towards the door. "Goodnight Chaengie.... And... thank you for yesterday." She said the last sentence quickly and walked fast toward her room. I was caught out off guard. That's mean she knew I saw her yesterday night and lift her on the bed. Oh god, that's embarrassing. But I still wonder what made her cry at night.  Well, I won't get an answer either way. So I better go to sleep and relax my head a little before going to the company tomorrow. 

I stood up from the ground and left my bag as they are and went directly to change to my pajama. I lay down on the bed facing the ceiling. It's didn't take long until I drifted to my deep sleep because of how exhausted my body was.

While I was in my dreamland, I suddenly woke up on a voice coming outside my room. Something like last night. I opened my eyes immediately. 'Don't tell me this time it's a thief for real.' I literally forgot to buy something for protection. Now there two of us, girls, in the house we need a weapon. Well, maybe flip-flop could do the job for now. I grabbed it and went to the door. Then it hits me that the sound could be from Mina room because the same thing happened last night. 

I went directly to her room, but I was hesitant to open the door. I don't like to crash someone else privacy. But I can't help it, what if she fell on the ground like last time. So, I opened the door slowly glancing toward the bed. Then I saw her on the ground again but this time her hands were covering her face. She wasn't moving at all. It shocked me, I don't know what's happening with her. Could it be that she's scared of something or she saw something? I quickly start looking around the room for anything suspicious but couldn't find anything weird. 

Then I approached her carefully and lowered my body to her level. I called her name softly to see if I will get any reaction from her. "Mina, are you okay?" Even when I am trying to show that I am present in front of her, she didn't respond. Her hands are shaking a little, I can see it clearly with my eyes. Without any delay, I placed the flipflop on the ground and held Mina in my arms and lifted her on her bed. 

She stayed as she is with her hands covering her face. I covered her with the blanket and pat it a little to assure her that everything is okay. 

"Minari~, do you want me to stay?" I tried to seem very calm about the situation. Even though I am not sure what's going own with her. But for now, I need to make her sleep. I don't think she wants to open her eyes. 

Since I didn't hear any response from her. I decided to stay. I placed my hand in the middle of the blanket patting her softly and carefully. My head was placed near the edge of the bed while my left hand is doing its thing. After a while, I saw her body relaxed and now that she went to sleep again. My hand stopped moving and because I was so desperate to sleep, I ended up passing out in that position. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a heavy sleeper, that's why you saw me waking up on smallest sound around. So in the early morning, I heard the birds singing out the window which causes me to wake up immediately. But suddenly with the first move, I tried to make, my body start hurting me. I looked around me to see my old room. Then I remembered what happened last night. So, I took my hand that was still on the blanket away slowly and took a glance at Mina peaceful face. The scene was just like a piece of art. The sounds of birds and the scent in the room that I didn't pay attention to until now. The scenery seems so beautiful and pleasant to look at. How could art pop out of canvas to comes to life in front of my eyes? 

Flower, are you? Let me breath 
Couldn't resist, but to sink more deep

Oh authornim, how could you be so real? I don't believe that this book seems so close to reality and to my life. I can see why it's so popular. I bet people get to realize the beauty of their surroundings. It probably changed a lot of people view toward other things around them. 

I need to leave before she wakes up. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable with me in the room. 

I left to my room carefully. Now that I am awake, I need to refresh myself with a little shower to ready myself for this day. I will probably rest after I finish all the business I have today. I will get to meet Momo hopefully and her family too. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After finishing my shower, I went down to cook for both of us. I will take her with me today. I heard from Mr. Jinyoung that she used to go with my parents to the company sometimes. 

I cooked some Omelet and cut some vegetables with it. I also made orange juice to drink with. The Smoothie from yesterday still in the fridge, probably will try drinking it later. 

Two plates were placed on the table with the Omelet and everything else. Then I was looking inside the fridge, I saw the ketchup and giggled a little. I took it out and went toward her plate. I draw a flower in her Omelet enjoying myself. Not sure why it seems so fun to do it. 

As I finished what I am doing I saw her coming down the stairs. She looked kind of embarrassed probably she remember what happened yesterday. That only means she was awake as I suspected. 

"Good morning Minari~, you came on the right time. the breakfast is ready." I took out the chair for her to set down.

"Good morning Chaeyoung." She said it in a low tone. Oh god, why so awkward in the morning. So I decided to sulk a little on her. "Why not 'Chaengie', did you change your mind that fast." I pout a little showing my puppy eyes. Its actually something I haven't done even to my parents, and now I doing this in front of her all of a sudden, I don't even know what's gotten into me.

She chuckled a little at my action. "I thought that you are not the type of person who would do these things according to how your parents described you. But I guess your still a kids inside somehow Chaengie~." We both laughed after that and processed to eat happily and quietly.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we finished eating, we both went to change our cloth, I was able to convince her to come with me to the company. A neat and comfortable set of cloth is all what I always look for every time I want to go out somewhere, but of course, this time I had to choose something more formal that goes with the company environment. 

I went out of my room toward Mina room to see if she's finished. I knocked on the door and she said to come in. I went inside and closed the door without focusing much, she was still in the dressing room. Then I decided to roam around it for little to see what might have changed in the room.

All my drawing were still in their place as they are on the wall. My drawing doesn't have a specific topic to speak or posses, but it did make you sense a diversity vibe out of it as patterns seem to be missing in each piece. That's how I love to draw, freely and whatever my minds desire.

While I was looking around the room, I noticed a small notebook placed on the desk. I moved closer to it and focused on the cover page. I noticed some characters written and I know for sure that I have seen those somewhere. The problem is that I can't tell if it's a Japanese or Chinese character because of the handwritten. As I was about to grab it, Mina's voice turned me around toward her as she finished changing. 

"Chaengie, I finished changing, now we can go." She saw me turning around, but she didn't say anything. 

I looked again at her, and I was speechless. Have you ever looked at someone and felt like they are glowing in front of you. My body seems as if it stopped functioning, I can't move anymore.  She looks so charming in that simple white dress. She had nothing on other than the dress and a simple makeup, but with that alone, she turned it into an expensive masterpiece. 

Hands extending, intending to reach
Expensive, are you? But I ain't no cheap

Again, I can't help but think of the poem words. As I was reaching to her notebook, she grabbed my attention with her expensive and astonishing look. 

"Wow, you look beautiful with that dress," I said it and I mean it. She looked at me as if she didn't expect to hear such words out of my mouth. But it's something normal to me. When I see something beautiful, I say it as it is. I am not a flirty type of person, it's more like I am extra honest when it comes to my feelings.

"Thank you Chaeyoung, I actually didn't expect you to say it casually like that you know." She looked a little embarrassed because of my honesty, so I decided to clear the situation a little.

"Sorry Mina if I might seem a little daring or should I say 'flirty' in a way as it may sound like. But I am really just an honest person, and when I said you look beautiful, I mean it with no exaggeration. you know, my parents should have said that to you, but I guess they forgot to mention that haha." A smile bloomed on her face and I could see that she's adapting to the situation. "They actually did mention that part of you, but I never know that you are honest with even this kind of stuff. You know you could sound like hitting on someone if you just said it casually to anyone."

"I wouldn't say it to anyone though." I raised both my eyebrows at her and then continued. "Since you are part of my family, that's why I would feel comfortable opening up my thoughts. Unless the person I am speaking to is a complete stranger,I wouldn't say that since it would consider rude. Now let's go ahead to my car. So that we can reach the company early with Mr. Jinyoung." Just like that I ended the . conversation and went out toward the parking lot, rode the car and drove to the company.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been two years since the last time I saw Momo and the Hirai Family. She's a very smart and serious person who never really bothered to waste her time on useless stuff as she describes it. She knows about my love story and told me that I shouldn't have exhausted my mind and soul in a losing game. Her suspicion was correct from the beginning. But I wanted to believe that my wish would be stronger to last with our love. Anyhow, she kind of understood why I left the country though, I wanted to go change my mood and to focus my minds on my studies and to distract myself. 

I am completely now over him. I don't know what might happens if I see him again by coincidence, but I know for sure, that the person who couldn't fight for me, I won't bother to fight back for them. Love is like a war if you can't fight to win, then you already lost the game before even starting it. I entered a war knowing that I have no chance to win, but I chose to take part of it. And at the end, all that I gained, was an unnecessary pain. 

Mina and I reached the company main building. We got off and I gave my keys to one of the bodyguards at the main entrance to take care of it. When they actually saw me, I saw them smiling a little. They probably happy to see me, it's been a long time. I used to play with them and chit chat as I loved their tuff job. This is so cute, they obviously trying to maintain their professionalism in front of me as I become the official heir now.  

I noticed that everyone where greeting Mina as well. It's as if it's a normal sight to see every day. But when they look at me, some of them you see the happiness in their eyes and some give me that pity sad face. 

Mina and I took the elevator to reach the meeting room that we will be gathering in. But suddenly Mina spoke, "I saw that a lot of employees were happy to see you. Even the bodyguards bearly where trying to contain their happiness."

"Yeah Mina, I used to come with my parents a lot to the company even when I was a little. It was like my playground and almost everyone saw me growing there as my parents don't like to change employee that often in the company. But I noticed as well that they are familiar with your presence as everyone was greeting you gladly." She smiled a little facing me and proceed by saying, "so you did pay attention. Well, your parents used to take me with them her whenever they had a chance. So I am quite familiar with the building. So don't worry about me." I nodded giving her a warm smile. 

We arrived earlier than expected to the meeting room. So literally there was no one there. therefore, we sat down just to relax a little before everyone arrives in the room.

Basically, today meeting is not a business one as it may look like. Yes, we will be looking at the company performance but a big part of it will be a family like talking. Suddenly the door opened revealing Mr. Jinyoung and her immediately bowed with respect for both of us and we did the same. 

"Ms. Son and Ms. Mina, good morning. How are you both doing today?" He greeted us warmly as expected from him.

"Mina and I are doing good. Thank you for your concern. How about you Mr. Jinyoung? How is everything going?" I tried to answer for both of us. I don't want to create any possible awkwardness that might occur. 

"Everything seems fine Ms. Son. As you can see, the company seems to function on the right track. The Hirai Family did a great job maintaining the stability of employee and our investors. No one would dare to make a move with their strong sense of leadership they possess each meeting. They will tell you everything in details when you meet them shortly." I am glad that the company is still functioning well even after my parent's death. Otherwise, if the Hirai Family wasn't there, it would have been a complete chaos. 

Just as we finished the small conversation, the door opened revealing the head of Hirai family along with my best friend Momo, or should I say Momorning. 

I would like to mention that the family is actually Japanese. My family meets them back on one of their trips to Japan. After they grow fond of each other, they decided to partner up in the business and they were able to beat their own records with a massive profit. My parent's know how to speak the language but I am still a beginner. Well, at least I know English so I am not completely doomed as well as since the Hirai Family stated her the last four years, they mastered Korean perfectly. Even Momo, she's like a beast while speaking, you would think that she was born her with her language skills. 

Mr. Hirai went and hugged me directly with a warm welcoming after two years not seeing each other. He treats me just like his own daughter and even better and even his wife do the same. Then Momo came and hugged me as well and whispered in my ears, "welcome back little cub." 

Aish, this girl never stops teasing me even with her serious face. Then her dad spoke, "welcome back my sweet little girl, it's been a while since the last time that I saw you. You have matured a lot and became a fine woman. It's a pity that your parents couldn't get to see this change. But don't worry, they are watching you somewhere above and you can consider us as your family from now on. Anything you want or need help with, please don't hesitate to come seek my family help. Also, my Momoring will be on your side for sure." He said it reassuring me and Momo just nodded in agreement.

Then I saw him looking at Mina. "Oh Mina, my dear, you are here today. It's nice to see you with our tiger. She will sure take good care of you." He went to her giving her a hug and I saw her whispering something into his ear. Then she went and gave Momoring a tight hug in which I was surprised by that action. It seems that they know each other well and close enough. I think that they even know as much as my parents know about Mina. 

I didn't ask any questions regarding what I just saw. I will remain silent and keep watching from a distance for now. We sat down and the serious mood is now on as we need to look at the current situation in the company. Momo father was telling me that there is a lot of commission regarding the new CEO that will be appointed to the company to lead. He's right now just temporary covering until they know who holds the most shares in the company. Of course, my parents used to run it as they are the highest investors and seconds comes the Hirai Momo obviously. But everything is frozen until we know how and to whom those shared went. 

It only made sense for the Hirai family to lead the business as they are the second biggest stockholder in the company and they will remain there until everything is revealed by our lawyer. After we sorted everything out the Hirai head excuse himself to continue his work and went out with the lawyer, while Mina, Momo and me stayed in the room alone.

"So Minari, are you still staying at Chaeyoung parent house? or this cub kicked you out?" Momoring suddenly spoke and I know she's trying to tease me. She knows I am not the rude type of person to do such things. "Hay Mr. Serious, I am not that rude to make her leave the house. She will stay as much as she likes. Even if it means she would stay forever. You know that I wouldn't mind that to happen. I even wanted to live with you, do you remember?" I start laughing at my own words and she joined me as well. "I don't believe that I wished to live with someone as serious as you. I would probably refer to live with Minari instead of living with a robot kind like you."

Mina stayed silent looking at her wrapped hands that placed on her lap. While this Momoring is smirking at my face. I think I let my honest self go wild again and made Mina feel embarrassed. "I see that you guys already getting along even though it hasn't been a week yet. Good for you little cub, at least now you have a proper friend to hang out with." Momo said trying to bully me :(. 

"Aish, this robot always try to make me angry but I ain't falling for it. And yes I am actually happy that I have at least someone to stay within that big house. What if I die there, then no one would know. So it's better to have Mina on my side. I am glad my family left this gift to me after they left." Momo seems surprised at my words and Mina seems to have a heavy sad kind of atmosphere which I couldn't understand. 

Momo broke the awkwardness, "hay you little cub, don't mention death casually like that. Even though I agree with your statement for the most part. So Minari, please make sure to stay by our little cub side and protect her." YES!!! I haven't been thankful for Momoring like right now. I hope that those words convince Mina to stay with me longer. After that Momo starts talking about something else and the whole conversation ended there with no further response. 

After a while, we left the meeting room. Mina and I will go back probably to our house or maybe another place who knows. We will talk it out on our way back. Also, Momo is going back to her dad office to help him as she works here in the company to get some experience in real life job environment.    

As I was on my way to enter the elevator, I heard a weird side conversation on a phone I believe. "The plan was a complete failure you air head. We haven't gained anything at all. your plan was useless just like you. Their dea..." The elevator closed and I couldn't hear the rest of the talk. I can't tell what they are talking about exactly. It could be a deal that the company lost or something who knows. I hope it's not something big that could affect us or the progress of our corporation in any way. 

To Be Continued...

-----------------------------------------------------------

As I promised, this is a long update for you guys. It was actually hard to go over this again and again to edit it so if you guys saw any misplaced words, I am sorry for that in advance. 

I kind of liked the long update as it helped me build my plot for the story but in the same time it is a lot of work to do to go over those parts that I kept writing everyday and try to edit every one of those so that the update would look almost readable.

Please let me know what do you think of this update and about the second poem of the Jitzu book as well. It's actually not easy to create those poems T.T.