Chapter 8

Falling for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Weeks go by and it's already the middle of autumn. As Mid-terms approach, the college is infested with zombies living on a diet of coffee. I am no different. I spend my days leaning over books and papers in the library, barely lifting my head.

 

Today was the same, I am sitting there pulling my hair in frustration when-

 

"Looks like someone got bit by the examination bug."

 

I look up to see Mingyu getting into the seat in front of me.

 

"Hey, what's up?" I ask, stretching in my seat.

 

"Just this and that." He says, looking over my notes in distaste. "How do manage this?"

 

"I have no idea." I drop my arms and decide to pack my stuff.

 

"Well, Seokmin sent me here to remind you that tomorrow is Jeonghan's birthday."

 

"I know. Jun told me about it last week."

 

"And Jihoon sent me here to remind you to not wish Jeonghan tomorrow."

 

I look up at him in confusion.

 

"Because we are all going to do that. Joshua's idea." He explains

 

"And then throw a surprise party?" I assume

 

"Huh, not really", he says, scratching his head, "Joshua says we shouldn't do anything at all because Jeonghan deserves it for bugging him but I and Wonwoo and Soonyoung are still going to do something. We just haven't planned anything."

 

I give him the 'Are you kidding me?' look. Jeonghan is a sort of person who reminds people about his birthday a month in advance and he looks forward to a celebration and surprises.

 

It would be too cruel to not do anything.

 

"Okay, let's plan it out then." I say standing up to leave. "I was going to go and buy him a gift right now. Want to join me? We'll plan the party on our way."

 

 

We drive to the nearest mall and spend half an hour going from store to store.

Mingyu buys a music album by Jeonghan's favourite band as we come up with rough plan for the party and divide our tasks.

 

I am still looking for a gift when Mingyu decides to leave as it's getting late.

 

I walk into a store not really expecting to find anything when I come across something which makes me chuckle.

 

A bunny eye-mask.

 

It is the cutest thing I've ever seen and it was just made for Jeonghan! Later, I also find fluffy bunny themed socks which go well with the mask.

 

 

Satisfied with my purchase I head back home.

 

 

The next day I am up early. With my mind buzzing with plans and excitement, I walk into the classroom reminding myself to not wish Jeonghan while simultaneously looking for him.

 

He is not here today. I walk towards Joshua and take a seat beside him.

 

"Where is Jeonghan?"

 

"Dunno," he yawns, "Maybe he is running late?"

 

I nod absentmindedly as the professor enters the room.

 

Jeonghan doesn't show up but as we are leaving, Joshua gets a notification. He reads it and sighs, looking amused.

 

"The birthday boy overslept, again." He says, showing me the message on the screen.

 

Hannie:

Ah Joshuji! I just woke up!! I'll try and get there for the 2nd lecture.. D:

 

I look at Joshua and we burst out laughing. Well, such can only be expected from Jeonghan.

 

Later in the noon, I run to the cafeteria after being held back by sociology professor. Everyone is already at the table and almost halfway through their lunch. I greet everyone, taking my usual seat next to Joshua. Jeonghan, who is sitting in front of me, looks forlorn.

 

"Ssup? Why the long face?"

 

"Seungcheol, what day is it today?" He asks instead, ignoring my question.

 

Of course, no wonder he looks down.

 

I pretend to look confused and chew down my bite before replying.

 

"Isn't it Wednesday today?" I say, trying my best to keep my face composed.

 

"That's what I said!" chimes in Joshua.

 

Mingyu and Jun snicker from the far end of the table as Jeonghan glares at me.

 

"I hate all of you." He says with a little pout.

 

Jeonghan quickly leaves after lunch but the rest of us stay back to get the final details of the Surprise Party in place.

 

My job is to keep Jeonghan occupied as Joshua and the rest break into Jeonghan's house and set up the party. I have a few excuses planned in my head as I go looking for Jeonghan. I find him talking to a girl in a corridor leading to the exit.

 

I plan on startling him but he turns around at the last moment.

 

"Choi Seungcheol! What brings you here?" He asks, putting on a very fake smile.

 

I hesitate. Angry Jeonghan sure is scary.

 

"Nothing really, just passing."

 

The girl he was talking to looks annoyed by the interruption but continues.

 

"Jeonghan~ I hope you like my present!" she says, giving Jeonghan a small, neatly packed box.

 

"I am sure I will love it," he smiles, "thank you so much! You are such a good friend!"

 

It is no mystery to whom that remark was directed to.

 

The girl leaves, beaming and blushing as Jeonghan turns to me with a poker face.

 

"Oh .. Huh… it’s your birthday today!" I scratch my head.

 

"No, it's Wednesday." Jeonghan replies without emotion.

 

"I really am sorry, Jeonghan." I sigh.

 

"Sorry that it is a Wednesday?"

 

"Let me make it up to you. Okay? What are your plans for the day?"

 

"I dunno. I was planning on enjoying this Wednesday." He says looking around.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter