Is it Enough?

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Aarrgghh…” Sohyun closed her book and stood up. Saeron looked up, “Where are you going?” “I don’t know, I need fresh air,” she grabbed her stuff and waved goodbyes to her friends. Her brain was not able to accept any more info and she needed a break even though she has a paper the next day. 3 down and 2 more to go, she told herself. Seating in the car, she realized she didn’t want to go home and her immediate thoughts went to Seungho. But she shook her head, reminding herself that he is studying.

 

She drove to Han River and sat down at a bench as she relaxed her mind and enjoyed the cool breeze. The weather was chilly and she was not wearing sufficient layers to keep herself warm, but that night, she didn’t mind the feel of the cold seeping through her bones. Her phone beeped.

 

 

From the Shoulder

How’s your revision?

 

To the Shoulder

Not too well.

 

To the Hand

Why? Tomorrow paper is Sociology, right? I thought that’s your best subject.

 

To the Shoulder

My brain is fried and I can’t study anymore.

 

To the Hand

Don’t stay at the library. Go home and rest. No point reading when you are not absorbing anything.

 

To the Shoulder

I’m not at the library. I’m at Han River.

 

To the Hand

With whom?

 

To the Shoulder

Alone.

 

To the Hand

Tell me exactly where. I’ll come to you.

 

Sohyun smiled. “He likes me enough to come to me,” she whispered happily to the wind.

 

To the Shoulder

It’s ok. I’m about to leave. Good luck for your papers tomorrow.

 

To the Hand

Can’t you wait for me?

 

To the Shoulder

I can. But I rather not. We both have papers tomorrow. I’m going home to sleep early.

 

Sohyun was practicing her Statistics in the library which is now less crowded because students are either sitting for their exams or have completed all of theirs. Most of her friends will end their exams that day as they do not take Statistics. “One more paper, you can do it!” she cheered herself up.

 

“Hey, how’s things?” Seungho asked as he sat down beside Sohyun. She turned towards him with a big smile. “It’s good. How’s your paper?” He winked confidently. “So you don’t need me, I guess?” he asked. Sohyun was supposed to let him know if she wants him to stay and help her with her revision but she did not. “You should go home and rest,” Sohyun told him. “I want to stay. Please let me stay,” his pouted cutely. Sohyun giggled.

 

Sohyun continued practicing her Statistics while Seungho read a magazine besides her. He then lay down his head on his arms on the table, facing her and closed his eyes. About an hour later, Sohyun stopped because it was almost lunch time, and she turned to look at him, sleeping uncomfortably besides her. She brushed away the hair that was covering part of his eyes and lay down her head on the arms to face him. She stared at his profile, admiring his deep-set eyes, that has hints of dark circles from the lack of sleep, his sharp beautifully shaped nose and his full lips. He is too handsome for his own good, that is why girls, including herself, are falling for him.

 

Sohyun was surprised when Seungho suddenly opened his eyes and stared at her while she was busy enjoying looking at his face. Caught red handed, her face flushed but she continued staring at him. They gazed at each other in silence. After several minutes, Seungho broke the spell and asked if she wants to eat lunch. She nodded.

 

“You should really go home. Don’t wait for me,” Sohyun told Seungho after they finished lunch.  “I have nothing to do at home. I’ll be sleeping. I can sleep here in the meantime in case you have questions,” he responded. “But it’s not comfortable to sleep here. After all your help, my Stats is ok,” she explained. “But you won’t be next to me if I go home. Unless you want to study at my place,” he suggested. “You are flirting again,” Sohyun commented, raising her eyebrows. “I’m not. I’m stating facts,” he retorted. Sohyun rolled her eyes.

 

He did help with her revision that afternoon on a few topics which she wasn’t very sure. In between, he would be surfing the net, reading about hotel management, specifically catering and event management at hotel. Occasionally, his fingers would graze her hands, or lightly touch her fingers. The first time it happened, Sohyun turned to him but his eyes were focused on his laptop and the touch seems unconscious. So she left it alone. They’ve decided to study through dinner and then go for a late dinner before going home.

 

At dinner, Seungho informed her that he is going home to visit his family the next day for the weekend. “What’s your plan?” he asked. “After the paper tomorrow, I plan to sleep and sleep and sleep. Then Saturday afternoon, we girls are having a sleepover at Yoojung’s. To plan for our Hong Kong trip,” she explained.

 

On Saturday at Yoojung’s, Sohyun was feeling lethargic from oversleeping. She lay down on the bed hugging the bolster, while waiting for Jiwoo and Ailee to arrive. She smiled as she remembered Seungho’s messages before he flew off in the morning, wishing her before her exams. And then again in the evening, as he sat on the beach, telling her that he wished she was sitting beside him, enjoying the sea breeze.

 

“Sohyun, can I ask you something?” Hwagun spoke. Sohyun sat up on the bed and asked, “What is it?” Yoojung was surfing the net with Saeron and they both stopped and listened. “Why didn’t you tell us that you and Cap are dating? At least it saves me the embarrassment of confessing to him,” Hwagun asked. Sohyun had widened her eyes. “We are not dating,” Sohyun explained, her face flushed. Hwagun shook her head, her voice hard, “Please Sohyun. I thought we are friends.” Sohyun blustered trying to think of how to reply when Ailee and Jiwoo arrived.

 

“Hellooo..“ Ailee and Jiwoo greeted everyone in unison. They were surprised to find the room silent. Saeron waved at them with a weird face. Sohyun turned to Ailee and Jiwoo, “Hello, Come in. Why are you standing at the door?” “Well there seems to be some tension in the air, so Ailee and I were deciding whether we should turn around,” Jiwoo said half jokingly. “No, no, no tension. Some misunderstanding,” Sohyun said softly.

 

When Ailee and Jiwoo have settled down, Sohyun turned to Hwagun. “I’m telling the truth, we are not dating. He tutored me in Stats, and I must admit we got close,” she said clearly. Breathing deeply, she decided to be honest with the girls. “I won’t deny that I like him, more than the way I like the other guys. But he had told me before that he doesn’t have the same interest in me,” she said softly. Yoojung came and sat beside Sohyun on the bed. She her friend’s hair. “It’s the truth,” Yoojung said firmly, ending further conversation on the matter.

 

“Ok, that’s clear the air. I’m getting some drinks and snacks before we plan our trip,” Saeron stood up and asked Hwagun to follow her. Jiwoo joined Yoojung on the bed and held Sohyun’s hand.  “Are you ok?” she asked gently. Sohyun nodded. “I like my friendship with him.” Yoojung sighed, “As long as he doesn’t take advantage of your friendship.”  Sohyun grabbed Yoojung’s hands, “He doesn’t. I swear, he doesn’t.”

 

The girls planned their trip full of enthusiasm. It was going to be a trip of spa, shopping and food. After they finished planning for their trip, they started discussing Minseok’s interest in Jiwoo. Jiwoo blushed and told them that she does like Minseok more than the guy in the basketball team.

 

The following Tuesday afternoon, Sohyun was with Hwagun and Saeron. They were going to meet the rest of the girls and guys at the theatre to catch a movie and then dinner.  As they walked towards the carpark, they saw Seungho standing outside his car and then they noticed a girl walking towards him. Hwagun turned towards Sohyun in surprised but Sohyun just grinned with a knowing look.

 

When Seungho looked up from his phone to greet Jieun, he saw the three girls walking towards the carpark. He looked at Sohyun but she had her face turned towards Saeron, listening to something Saeron was saying. When the girls were near his car, they stopped and greeted him. Seungho acknowledged their greetings but his eyes were on Sohyun but Sohyun was not looking at him.  Jieun stood silently besides Seungho, observing the three girls, wondering if one of them was Sohyun.

 

“Hi, I’m Sohyun,” Sohyun extended her hands towards Jieun. Sohyun decided to ease the awkwardness for Jieun and introduce herself because Seungho just nodded at them in acknowledgment. Jieun introduced herself as she took her hands. The rest of the girls introduced themselves too.

 

“Where are you girls going?” Seungho asked.  “We are catching a movie with the rest. The guys didn’t invite you?” Hwagun asked. He nodded. “They did but I can’t make it.” “We gotta run, we are running a bit late. Bye Cap, bye Jieun,” Sohyun said as she walked towards her car.

 

Seungho’s eyes followed her as he saw the other two girls, walking briskly and grabbing her hand. “Is that Cap’s girlfriend,” he heard Hwagun asked Sohyun. “Why didn’t he admit he has a girlfriend,” Saeron asked. Seungho can’t hear Sohyun’s replies but the girls seem to be giggling about something. He continued to stare at them until the car left the carpark.

 

He was regretful that Sohyun had seen him with Jieun. Although there is nothing between them, and Sohyun wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter