The Camp

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungho stood outside the bus at the school carpark, marking attendance of the soccer and cheerleading members. Irene, one of the new cheerleaders, appeared with a medium sized luggage and asked, “Cap, could you ask the driver to open the luggage compartment?” He glanced at the luggage before glaring at Irene. “We are away for only one night. What did you have to bring that needed so much space?” he asked, the irritation in his voice was evident. “Cap, unlike guys, we girls have a lot of stuffs. You wouldn’t understand,” Irene whined. Seungho glared at Irene before turning to the driver asking to open the luggage space.

 

He was discussing with Suzy on the schedule when he heard Myungsoo’s voice insisting on carrying someone’s bag. He turned to see Sohyun and her bestfriend, Yoojung, together with Myungsoo and Youram. The guys were offering to carry the girls’ carry-ons but the girls declined. “Well, at least those girls know not to bring their whole wardrobe along,” he said under his breath. Suzy raised her eyebrows but let it go. She climbed up into the bus again.

 

“Cap,” Myungsoo greeted him. He nodded in acknowledgement, and included Youram and the girls in it. Yoojung stopped to nod and greet him before climbing into the bus. Sohyun who was closely behind, greeted curtly as she passed him, “Good morning Captain Yoo.” Seungho scowled at her as she climbed up the stairs with barely a glance at him.

 

When everyone was on the bus, Seungho stood in front and did the roll call. Again, he noticed that Sohyun barely looked at him when he called out her name. “Why is she being so high and mighty!” He was mad at her for the disrespect. Gritting his teeth, he went through the schedule before the bus move off.

 

During the journey, the girls and the guys were in high spirit. Soonho rallied the group and they played games and then sang songs together. Seungho stayed upfront, resting but his ears were listening to the going ons inside the couch.

 

After they arrived at the beachside resort in Incheon and checked in, they gathered in one of the function room for lunch. Suzy stood in front and briefed them, “Our 3 main meals here would be served buffet style in this room, the spread is on the table at the sides.  If you want in between snacks or meal, you have to arranged it yourself at your own cost.  There are sufficient food, so I do not think its necessary. Enjoy your meal. Shortly we will be doing a Q&A session, to get to know the members. Although we are interested to know the new members, the new members may want to know us too. So everyone will have 3 minutes to ask the questions. You may pass twice for questions you are not comfortable to answer, araso?” Everyone nodded.

 

The lunch spread was good. Although it was free seating, Seungho and Suzy nudged everyone to different tables so that in each table there were mixture of new and existing members of both the soccer and cheerleading team. This enable greater and faster interaction. Minseok, one of the new soccer players asked the senior, “So what kind of questions can we ask?” Youram who was seated at the same table, answered. “Well, we supposed to ask questions so that we can know the person better. But every year, the questions often revolved around whether you have  boyfriend or girlfriend etc. ” The existing members chuckled in agreement. One of them  said, "It's like a pre-dating session."

 

Fifteen minutes after lunch started, when everyone had some food, Suzy stood in front, “Ok, I shall start with myself.  My timing starts now,”. The first question was which high school she was from. And what she wants to be when she graduated. One new cheerleader asked, “Are you dating Captain Yoo Seung Ho?” Her eyes grew big and she immediately cried no. “Why would I do that to myself?” to the laughter of the room. Seungho kept his stoic look. “You are the only girl whom he spoke decently, so I thought ..” the girl tried to explain. “Well, cos I don’t entertain his nonsense. Next!” Suzy ended her session.

 

Seungho was up next.  No one dared to ask question, so Suzy started the ball rolling. “Do you plan to be a professional soccer player? We heard that the national team scouted you.” There was a buzz in the room, impressed that that he was being scouted for the national team. “No,” he replied curtly. Yoojung asked, “Do you have a girlfriend?” “Pass,” he replied calmly. There was a buzz at his response. Sohyun raised her hand and then asked sweetly, “Do you think its attractive to be a cold j., let me rephrase that, do you think it is attractive to have a cold personality?” Seungho stared down at her but she was nonplussed. “I am in school for a specific purpose. I don’t have time to entertain girls throwing themselves at me. And if being cold can fend off the unnecessary distraction, I’m good with that.” Sohyun nodded agreeably. “A brilliant strategy, I must say. It is effective.” And she gave him her haughtiest look. There were some sniggerings around the room. After some soccer related questions from the guys, his time was up.

 

When Sohyun stood in front, there were many hands raised from the guys eager to ask questions. One guy immediately asked her out on a date, which earned him a scolding from Suzy. “You are to ask questions to get to know her better, not to ask her out on a date!” “But, when I go out with her, I will get to know her better!” the guy retorted, earning support from the other guys.

 

Bogum, one of the new soccer player, asked, “Do you have a boyfriend?” Sohyun smiled and said no. The room clapped in approval. "Have you ever had a boyfriend?” he followed up. Sohyun shook her head. “I’ve not dated before,” A girl asked, “Seriously? I heard so many guys were after you in high school, even guys from other schools.” Sohyun blushed before replying, “There were a few guys” a shout from Saeron disagreeing that it was just a few interrupted her, “asked me out but I’ve declined. Politely of course.”

 

Seungho asked, “Why? They are not good enough for you?” A flash of annoyance crossed Sohyun’s face. Without looking at him, she replied honestly, “I have not found someone I want to date.  I’m not comfortable with dating for the sake of dating. I need to like the person and wants to know more about him. Anyway, I’m happy with my girlfriends. I don’t see any advantage of dating just about anyone.”

 

Taecyeon stood up, “Date me and I show you all the best parts of being in a relationship.” His reply brought a round of snickers and a few others volunteering. Her face had by then turned bright red. Suzy saw her discomfort, and asked if anyone else has any other questions besides her relationship status.  Youram raised his hand and asked, “Being a chaebol, why do you choose to study here in Korea and not overseas?” he asked. Sohyun gave a wan smile, “My elder brother and sister studied overseas and I had similar plans. But my mom requested that I studied here.”

 

Sohyun remembered when her mom spoke to her about studying in Korea. Both her brother and sister studied overseas and gained independence. When they came back, they were more headstrong from the experience. This create a lot of tension in their already not close knit family. Sohyun’s mom was hoping that with her studying close to home, she would be less determined in having her own ways.

 

After the Q&A session, they played teambuilding games in the room to foster camaraderie and trust in each other. The games Seungho planned was fun and effective. The girls and guys worked together while having fun getting to know each other. Suzy and Seungho walked around the room facilitating the games. By the end of the afternoon everyone was tired but happy. They were also more familiar and comfortable with each other. They were dismissed and asked to come back for dinner in 1.5 hours.

 

Seungho went around collecting back the cards that were used for the earlier games. As he arranged the cards collected, he saw Sohyun’s card for the part where they expressed their innermost fear. Sohyun’s card read, “Having to choose between different loves. And being alone” Seungho wondered if she meant because of the many suitors and hence her decision was not to date. He shook his head. Stop wondering about her, he scolded himself.

 

Sohyun was lying on the bed in the room that she shared with Yoojung, Saeron and a new friend they befriended, Ailee. “That was fun, but so exhausting. Someone else shower first please. I need to take a nap,” Sohyun said drowsily. Yoojung shook her head. You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter