Restart - First Gear

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Enjoy dinner,” Seungho told Youram, Bogum and a couple of the junior players as they waved him off.  He leaned against his car, waiting for Sohyun. His eyes lighted as he saw her walking towards the carpark with Saeron and Hwagun. The other two girls changed direction while Sohyun continued to approach him. Seungho was excited just from watching her coming up to him.

 

“Where are we going for dinner?” she asked as she reached him.

 

“It’s your choice.  What do you feel like eating?” he asked happily.  At the joy he was feeling at the moment, she could ask for sushi in Japan, and he would accommodate just because she would finally be eating with him.

 

She bit her lips as she gave it some thought. “Odeng and tteukbokki at Halmeoni’s in Han River? I haven’t eaten there for so long,” she suggested.

 

“Your wish is my command,” he grinned. “Shall we drive to your place and then we go in my car?” Seungho asked.  One of the things he didn’t like since before was that she drives as it means he didn’t often get to drive her home. To him, not being able to send her home spoil the whole date.

 

She shook her head.  “That’s a long detour.  Let’s just meet at Halmeoni’s. I’m very hungry,” she pouted. He pinched her cheek playfully and agreed.

 

When they entered the pojangmacha, it was pretty crowded.  Fortunately, there was still an empty table at one corner. As they walked towards the empty table, they passed Halmeoni and greeted her. Looking up from her cooking, Halmeoni eyes lit up when she saw them. She gave them a toothy grin, and exclaimed, “Ah, today you brought your pretty girlfriend.  Sit down, I send you the food shortly.”

 

“Halmeoni recognizes you,” Sohyun commented the moment they were seated.  Seungho nodded, “She remembered you too. The last time I was here, that was when I asked you to be friends and go out to dinner with me. Since you said no, I came here alone for dinner and she asked where you were.”

 

“Oh, I was here too,” she commented, surprised. Noting the disbelieving look, she explained, “I meant I was here at Han River.  After that conversation we had at the carpark, I came to the river to think about your request.”

 

Seungho raised his eyebrows. “After dinner here, I went to the river to think about us too.  About how to get you back. We must have missed each other that night.”

 

“You asked to be friends, not to get back together,” Sohyun pointed out.

 

Sehun grinned. “That offer of friendship was the beginning of my project to win you over.”

 

Sohyun rolled her eyes though she couldn’t help but felt flutters in her heart.

 

“What did you decide that night?” he asked out of curiosity.

 

Sohyun stared at him for a moment, before she looked at her hand. “I decided I don’t want to be friends with you,” she said frankly, raising her head to look at him. She could see a flash of disappointment on his face as he breathed out heavily. “I was still affected by you then, by your presence and hence I can’t possibly be friends with you,” she continued.

 

Before Seungho could respond, Halmeoni came over with their food. She gushed over them, cluckling at how beautiful they look together. She gave them extra servings, just because they look good. Sohyun blushed at the compliments but was surprised to see Seungho looking serious, his eyes on her and his face inscrutable. He forced a smile on his face when he thanked Halmeoni.  Halmeoni patted his back and told him to be happy when he is with his girlfriend.

 

Sohyun looked at him, raising her eyebrows questioning his behavior.

 

“When did you stop being affected by me?” he asked softly. 

 

Looking directly at him, she said, “I never did.” And her face pinked at that admission.

 

He didn’t believe her, as he said flatly, “You were so cold.”

 

“That’s the only way I can protect myself,” she replied. “Seungho, can we stop talking about this?” She didn’t want to go through what had past and spoiled their dinner. He nodded agreeably. The rest of the dinner was enjoyable.

 

After dinner, Seungho suggested going for a walk. The weather was cold. Sohyun walked with her hands in her jacket pocket. “Is it too cold?” he asked. “Isn't it for you?” she asked back and took out her hands to rub it together.

 

Seungho had been wanting to hold her hand. When he saw her rubbing her hands together, he immediately stopped walking. He put both her hands between his and rubbed them together. Sohyun raised her head from her hands to his face. He was earnestly warming her hand, his face scrunched up in concentration. “Thanks. It’s warm enough,” she said softly. Her heart had been beating rapidly at his warm touch.

 

Seungho stopped. But he took one of her hands in his and turned to continue their walk. But he felt a tug in his hand and saw Sohyun biting her lips, misgiving on her face.  She removed her hand from his and gave him a nervous smile. She walked ahead with both hands in her pocket. Disheartened, he followed her quietly until she sat down on a bench.

 

“Seungho, I..." Sohyun said hesitantly.  He stared ahead, worried about what she had to say. “I was badly hurt by your action. But....despite my efforts, I’m not able to get rid of the feelings I have for you, that’s why I’m giving us another chance,” she paused. “I am trying to forgive you. But it’s not going to be as easy to forget. I can’t just go back to where we were. I know that giving us this chance, I may get hurt again. I don’t know how I can I handle it if I’m scarred a second time.  So, I want us to take things slow. For me to forget the hurt and slowly gain the confidence to love you again,” she said softly.

 

He listened intently. He understood her valid concern. No matter how much he reassured her that he won’t hurt her again, she needs to believe it herself.  And words are not going to do that for her. He had wanted unreasonably to reset everything back to the night of her birthday party before he screwed up. He not only wanted to hold her hand, he also wanted that perfect kiss they had which had been haunting him.  Turning his body towards her, he admitted sheepishly, “I’m being greedy. I missed you so much that I want us back to where we were, without thinking of how you feel.  I’m sorry.” He gazed at her lovingly, “You decide the pace of our relationship. As long as we are together, I’m ok.”

 

Sohyun smiled gratefully. She turned to look ahead, pleased that it was sorted out easily. She was worried that he might disagree.

 

“Sohyun-ah,” he called her softly.  She murmured her acknowledgment. “About sending Jieun to her doctor’s appointments, do you want me to stop?” He knew that Jieun was like a spoke in their relationship.  Although he would feel guilty if he had to stop sending Jieun, he didn’t want anything to come between them again.

 

Sohyun shook her head. “Go ahead.  But only for her doctor’s appointments. Nowhere else.” Seungho immediately wanted to reaffirm that he doesn’t go anywhere else with Jieun until he remembered his earlier outburst about the matter.  He had said them in frustration. So, he nodded agreeably. They sat chatting for a while until it got too cold.

 

The next afternoon, Sohyun was walking towards the carpark when Seungho joined her. “What are you doing here?” she asked happily. She didn’t see him earlier and was glad to see his face.

 

“Walking to the carpark with you,” he replied cheekily. “Shall we have dinner tonight?” he asked.

 

Grinning, she replied, “We just had dinner last night.  Anyway, I usually have dinner with Oppa when I go to the office.” He pouted at the rejection, which made her giggle. “Call me tonight.” She slid into the car and drove off, waving happily at Seungho.

 

He stared at her car with a smile on his face until it disappeared from his sight. When he turned to go to his car, he saw Jieun waiting for him.  Her face was inscrutable.  Undaunted, he greeted her.

 

During the drive, Jieun was quiet. She stared straight ahead and ignored Seungho. Initially, he didn’t notice since his mind was on Sohyun. After some time, he began to realize the car was awfully quiet. “Hey, why are you so quiet?” he asked. Not getting any reply, he glanced at her. “Eh, what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing,” she replied curtly. “I just don’t want to say anything that may spoil the glow of happiness you have.”

 

He laughed softly. “Sorry, I’m distracted.  Sohyun agreed to give me a second chance.”

 

“I figured that out,” she sneered. “Did she give you permission to send me to the hospital?”

 

“She didn’t mind. She is awesome,” Seungho beamed, totally missing the sarcasm.

 

Jieun rolled her eyes and looked out of the window. This time around, she knew that their relationship would affect her friendship with Seungho.

 

Sohyun hugged her bolster with a contented smile after she put down the phone with him. The last 24 hours has been great. It's not only easier but wonderful to be back with him, rather than fighting herself away from Seungho. Her heart was at ease and bursting with happiness. She only had a tinge of worry; how to explain to Yoojung that she’d agreed to date him again.

 

Seungho waited for her after class the next morning. After greeting her friends, he walked with her to the next class. He asked about her meeting the previous day before asking her out to dinner later that night. She agreed to the dinner, smiling as she waved him off. She could get used to his constant attention easily.

 

When he left, her friends crowded around her. “What happens? How come you are now

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter