Crossing the line

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s one week to the end of vacation and Seungho had completed his work stint. The last week of vacation would be busy with preparation for the new term, the trials and camp for the newcomers. Therefore, before the busy week starts, he decided to go to the beach with Sohyun.

 

She wanted him to drive her car to the Gyeongpodae beach as they could bring the top down and enjoy the breeze. The weather cooperated well; the sky was blue and the sun shone bright. It was a perfect day to go to the beach.

 

The moment the car left Seoul, they brought the car top down and turned up the volume and sang along to the music playing on the radio. Sohyun was smiling and laughing away, happy to be going to the beach with him. She had reconciled with herself; when she had agreed to accept the type of friendship he offered earlier, she knew the consequences. Therefore, she has decided to be happy with her decision.

 

When they arrived at the beach, it was noon. The sun was right above their head, its rays shone directly on them. It was very hot and they decided to have an early lunch while waiting for the heat to cool off a little. They had sandwiches and iced tea at a café facing the beach.

 

Sohyun was people watching. She had a small grin on her face as she watched the people out and about, enjoying themselves on the beach despite the searing heat and scorching sun. Seungho observed her face, the way she crinkled her nose when she laughed and her eyes turned into crescent when something she saw really tickled her.  Seungho reached out for her hand and intertwined their fingers. Sohyun glanced at him with raised eyebrows but he just slightly shook his head. Adjusting their hands to make it more comfortable, Sohyun then continued to enjoy the view outside the cafe.

 

After lunch when the sun is more forgiving, they rented a tandem bike and rode along the beach until they found a jetty at the far end.  They parked the bike and walked on the jetty, stopping by to watch people fishing along the jetty and when they stumbled upon an old man struggling to rein in a large fish, Seungho helped. Sohyun was laughing at Seungho attempts to tame a feisty fish. They then rode back to the main beach.

 

When they returned the bike, Seungho noticed her face was getting too red. “Did you put on sunblock this morning?” Sohyun covered and her eyes widened. “I forgot. Something happen to my face?” He told her that her face was reddening. He brought her to the chair on the beach that is shaded by a huge umbrella. “Sit here. I’ll get sunblock,” he told her.

 

Seungho sat in front of Sohyun. As he gently applied the sunblock on her face, Sohyun kept her eyes closed.  His fingers lightly touched her skin and each touch sent tingles down her spine. Sohyun opened her eyes when Seungho stopped the application. She found him staring at her, his eyes seemed to hold deep seated emotions; she could see desire and longing, but at the same time sadness and regret. She was confused.

 

While he applied the sunblock on her face, Seungho was taken by how calm and serene she looked. She seemed to have trusted him and leaving herself to his care and protection. But he knew, he is not doing enough to protect her. His resolve to not be in a relationship has wavered for quite some time. The more he is with her, the more important she has become in his life.

 

Flickered his eyes from her lips, he gazed into her puzzled eyes. Seungho smiled as he softly said, “Do you know how irresistible you are?” His eyes flickered again to her lips before staring at her again. One of his hands cupped the side of her face and tilted her head back. His fingers caressed her face. He stared intently at her, and spoke in a hoarse whisper, "You are so beautiful." There were more that he wanted to say; how he feels for her, how much she meant to him and how sorry he was. But at that moment, what he wanted most was to kiss her and to feel her soft warm lips under his. With unblinking eyes, he slowly head descended his head towards her.

 

Sohyun's heart were thundering in anticipation. She noticed that whenever his eyes flickered from her lips, it was blazed with desire. When he tilted her head backwards to give him better access to her lips, Sohyun knew what was going to happen. A small smile crept up to her face, before she shook her head imperceptibly when his face was an inch away. In the softest voice, she told him, “We’ve crossed many lines away from a friendship.” Guilt passes through Seungho’s eyes. “But lets stay where we are now and not cross further.” He blinked. “Cross it only when you are certain and won’t regret to take our relationship further.” He looked at her eyes, clear and determined, and he nodded slowly as he moved away from her.

 

They walked along the beach, hand in hand as the waves lapped their feet. They talked about the busy week that would be coming, the new semester and their plans. As they talked, Sohyun realized that Seungho had included her in his plans and that pleased her tremendously. On the way back that night, Sohyun slept on the drive home. Seungho glanced at her, and as he reached out to brush aside her hair, he knew his heart was taken.

 

The next day, Seungho had a meeting with the school’s management on the plans for the orientation. He went home after the meeting. Opening the door, he saw Jieun in his kitchen. “Hey, you are back,” he remarked. Jieun turned from the stove, “Yes. Brought back banchan from your mum’s, and mine. Your fridge is packed. Better eat them soon before it spoiled.”  “Thanks,” he told her as he walked towards his bedroom. “Oh, t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter