When It Gets Too Much

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungho sat at the airport waiting for his flight. He had been thinking about Sohyun’s birthday party that night. After he made the decision about their relationship, he wasn’t sure about attending it. He gave it some more thoughts before finally making his decision. He sent a text to her.

 

Sohyun was having brunch with Yoojung, Saeron, and Jiwoon. They were going to the spa for some pampering before getting ready for that night’s party. However, she was feeling down since she didn’t know if Seungho was coming. The girls were trying to cheer her.

 

Her phone beeped and all the four girls’ eyes immediately jumped to the phone. “That could be him telling you that he was on the way,” Jiwoon remarked hopefully. The other two girls nodded their head enthusiastically. “What if he is telling me that he can’t make it?” Sohyun said softly. She didn’t want to raise her hope. Yoojung grabbed her hand, “Check it out. Then you’ll know for certain.”

 

Taking a deep breath Sohyun took her phone and read the message. She burst into tears. The three girls looked at each other and started to console Sohyun. Sniffling, she shook her head. “I’m not sad. He is coming.” With a smile, she showed the text message

 

From the Shoulder

Happy Birthday. I’m at the airport now. I see you later.

 

Seungho had decided that he would not spoil her birthday party. After that weekend, he will talk to her about their relationship.

 

Seungho was ready and seated in the living room of the spacious suite. When he arrived earlier, Sohyun was getting ready in her suite. As he waited for the rest of the guys to be ready, his hand was fiddling with a small box in his hand. A couple of weeks ago, he had bought her a necklace for her birthday but with the change in his plans, he was indecisive about giving it to her. He brought it along in case he decided to give.

 

The guys stood outside their suite waiting for the girls to leave theirs. He heard her laughter from among the girls’ as their door was opened. The girls were all beautifully dressed and the guys were all appreciative. Seungho jaw dropped as the birthday girl appeared behind the rest, dressed in a simple silver dress that skimmed her figure from head to toe. Her outfit was simple, yet it amplified her beauty. She looked breathtakingly beautiful with the soft curls framing her lightly make up face.

 

Walking up to Seungho, she gave him an enchanting smile. “Thank you for making it to my party.” Seungho was still too star stricken that he just stared at her unblinking, that Youram started laughing. “Sohyun, I think you really rendered him speechless tonight!” Sohyun blushed. Everyone laughed.

 

Gathering his composure, Seungho smiled and gushed, “You are so beautiful! Happy Birthday!” and offered his arm. Sohyun chuckled and said her thanks and took the offered arm.

 

“How’s your mom?” She asked as they walked behind the rest of the group.

“She is getting better. Thank you,” he replied.

 

Sohyun glanced at him and saw that his face had hardened at the mentioned of his mom, so she decided to stay away from the subject. She chatted about little things that happened while he was away and he listened, nodding and chuckled in response.

 

At the ballroom, Seungho and the rest of her friends helped with the various setups and mingled with the guests while Sohyun was with her family to receive their guests. When dinner started, Sohyun sat with Seungho and their friends and they were entertained by renown artists.

 

Many guests approached Sohyun, to chat and reconnect. There were so many that she was getting quite overwhelmed. There were several people that she wanted to introduce to Seungho because they were in hospitality line, but each time when she glanced at him, he was engaged in conversation with others.

 

One of her good friends from middle school who left to study in Switzerland, Lucy came over excitedly to catch up. Yoojung and Sohyun were so happy to meet her as they were very close. “Why are you here?” the girls asked excitedly. “Hey, was I not invited?” Lucy pretended to be upset. “No, No. I thought you are still in Switzerland. Are you back for good?” Yoojung asked. Lucy shook her head.

 

“I have to meet some potentials,” Lucy pursed her lips. Yoojung and Sohyun gasped. “So fast?” they both asked in unison. “Some troubles. I can’t talk about it now,” she gave her friends a wan smile. Then her face lighted up, “Since I have to come back during term time, I picked to be here during my friend’s birthday. Can we met up before I leave next week?” she asked. They agreed to catch up.

 

Sohyun turned to Seungho and touched his arm to catch his attention. “This is one of my best friends from Middle School, Lucy. She is studying in Switzerland now,” she told him. He furrowed his brows for a second before he nodded and stood up to greet Lucy. “I’m Seungho,” he said with a smile. Then he pointed to the rest, “The guys and I are on the soccer team whereas the girls are the cheerleaders.” Everyone waved their greetings. Lucy introduced herself. Lucy asked Yoojung and Sohyun to follow her to another table where she wanted them to meet someone.

 

Seungho was chatting with Minseok and Youram when Sohyun approached him. “Could you follow me for a bit?” she asked with an enchanting smile. Seungho stood up. “Sure, what’s up birthday girl?” he teased. Sohyun grabbed his hand, “Come!” her eyes twinkled. Seungho was startled at the hand holding but he decided to let it go. He allowed her to drag him along.

 

Sohyun brought Seungho to a group of four, two men and two ladies who were chatting at one corner. She let go of his hand before introducing him. “Annyeong, Jongsuk-oppa, this is my close friend whom I’d mentioned that is interested in hospitality line.” Turning to Seungho, she introduced her cousin. “Jongsuk-oppa has a side business of running private villas in South East Asia. I think he has a few in Phuket and Bali and also Lombok, Krabi, and Langkawi. Isn’t that right, Oppa?” Jongsuk nodded with an indulgent smile at Sohyun. Seungho introduced himself and shook hands.  He explained that his parents run a bed and breakfast in Jeju. “I’ve heard of that. Comm’on Seungho, that is not a bed and breakfast. That is a luxury boutique resort. Very classy and I heard it is well run. I’ve been meaning to check it out,” Jongsuk commented. Jongsuk asked him to call him for drinks to chat more. Seungho nodded gratefully.


 

The lady beside Jongsuk spoke after the handshake, “Sohyun-ssi, aren’t you going introduce your boyfriend to the rest of us?” Seungho stiffened while Sohyun face started to crimson. “Unnie, Seungho is just a close friend,” she said shyly. Hyori smiled knowingly, “I’m sure he is just a friend.” Sohyun then introduced them.


Jongsuk waved at someone, “Your oppa is coming here. You should introduce your “just friend” to him,” he said with a wink, which brought on chuckles from the other three. Sohyun was blushing profusely by then and she glanced at Seungho who she could see was tensed and his jaws were clenched. She touched his arm and whispered, “Sorry.” Seungho looked down at Sohyun on his side, stared at her momentarily and just inclined his head indicating it’s ok.

 

“Yes, Jongsuk. What is it?” Seojoon asked his cousin. He then noticed Sohyun. “Sohyun, you are here too. What do you want with Jongsuk?” “I..” Sohyun was about to answer when Jongsuk interrupted. “Sohyun introduces her boyfriend, oops I mean just a friend, who happens to be keen on hotels and resort.” All of them sniggered.


Turning to Seungho, Seojoon introduced himself. Seungho shook hands and spoke firmly, “I play soccer for the Uni team and Sohyun is a cheerleader for the team. My family runs a bed and breakfast in Jeju so Sohyun knows of my interest in this line. She’s kind enough to introduce me to her contacts.” “Oppa, Seungho didn’t ask to be introduced but I think it would be useful for him to gain some network. You did emphasize the importance of networking right, Oppa?” Sohyun stated. Seojoon nodded.

 

“It’s nice meeting you. I got to mingle,” Seojoon told Seungho, who nodded silently. Turning to Sohyun, he said, “Sohyun, you should also mingle. But before that, go and introduce Seungho to your sister. She’ll be mad if you didn’t.”

 

Saying their goodbyes to Jongsuk and the rest, Sohyun took Seungho’s hand and tugged it along as she looked for her sister. “Let’s go and meet Unnie,” she said. Seungho stared at her hand holding his as he followed her. He had been uncomfortable from the moment she brought him to meet her Jongsuk. He had tried to control himself as her friends teased them and now, even her brother did not buy the idea that they are just friends. If he was going ahead to make themselves officially, he wouldn’t really mind. But with his recent decision, this just made it even more difficult.

 

Seungho pulled her hand. Sohyun turned to him and her smile faltered. Seungho’s face was serious and he was staring at her intently, almost in a glare. “We need to talk,” he said softly but firmly. She looked at her hand that was holding on to his and bit her lips. She realized he was angry and she knew why. She immediately let go of his hand and nodded as she turned her direction towards the exit. Seungho followed her closely behind in silent.

 

Sohyun found a nook at one end of the same floor as the ballroom. There doesn’t seem to be anyone nearby and they would not be seen by others unless someone actually go to that exact same spot. She stopped and waited for Seungho to say something. But he was silent. Sohyun glanced at him and saw that he was staring out of the glass window, his side profile showed that he was tensed with his jaws clenched. She remained silent as she waited for him.

 

After taking several deep breaths, he turned to her. Her beautiful face was nervously staring at him, and he closed his eyes, shutting out the face that he knew would haunt him for a long time. “I’d mentioned many times about how I do not like for your circle of friends to think there is something between us,” he said flatly, but Sohyun could sense the anger underneath it. “And then you introduced your middle school best friend to me, just to me, even though the rest of our friends were at the table.” Sohyun blinked and bit her lips.

 

“I..” Before she could say anything more, Seungho continued. “And then you brought me to meet your family friends or are they your relatives? Then your brother and if I don’t stop you, it will be your sister and then your parents?” he asked.

 

“I brought you to Jongsuk-oppa because I think he is someone who could help you,” she said softly. “And I introduced you to him and the rest as a friend only. They jumped to that conclusion just to tease me.”

 

Seungho tilted his head slightly away as he tried to control himself. “You are smarter than that Sohyun! You had several friends here at the party, and you only brought me along, holding my hands even though I told you how I feel about that in front of your circle of friends. You think they going to think I am just a normal friend? Your brother asked you to introduce me to your sister… Is that what he does to all your friends? And why do you take it upon yourself to introduce me to these people? I don’t remember asking you to do it!” he raised his voice.

 

Sohyun stared unblinkingly at his angry face, acknowledging the truth of what he says yet it didn’t diminish the pain from hearing it. She stayed silent, using her years of self-control to hold herself together while waiting for him to have his say.

 

“Why can’t you see that I don’t want this to happen for your own sake. What would they think of you if they knew that we are not a couple? What if someone saw me with Jieun and assumed that she is my girlfriend?” he questioned her.

 

Sohyun gritted her teeth. “When I agreed to be in this so-called friendship, I know I am accountable for it all. For the gossips that come my way, for being close to you even though we are not in an actual relationship. I have taken that responsibility. I never complained to you about it. It’s my decision, I’m the one that’s accountable for it. Why would it be any different with my family or circle of friends? It’s my choice to be in this, I don’t expect you to take that responsibility,” she said firmly.

 

Seungho blinked furiously. He walked closer to her, standing right in front of her brushing himself slightly against her. He bent his head, his face inches from hers, their gaze locked as he stared into her eyes in frustration. They stood staring at each other for a couple of minutes.

 

Suddenly both his hands cupped her cheeks and his fingers grazed her skin as he continued to stare into her liquid eyes. He could see her eyes dilated in confusion and then anticipation. Exasperated, Seungho lowered his head and pressed his lips hard against hers in anger. But the moment he felt her unbelievably soft lips, his stance softened. Slowly, his mouth moved to covers hers and his lips brushing lightly against hers. He heard her gasp and then her sigh as she accepted the sudden kiss.

 

His lips continued to move lightly against hers, caressing it gently. He then nibbled on her lips, her bottom lips as he was lost in the heady sensation of their first kiss. When Sohyun responded to the kiss, he moved one of his hands from her cheek to the back of her waist and pulled h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter