Reeling him In

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sohyun read the text message from Seungho just before Yoojung’s car arrived to pick her up. “Good morning,” Yoojung greeted her as soon as she sat in the car. “Seungho’s message?” she pointed to Sohyun’s phone. Sohyun greeted her as she belted up and nodded. “He asked if we can meet this morning. I replied no, since I’m with you,” Sohyun told her. “Good! Don’t see him tonight too if he asked. Maybe tomorrow. It doesn’t hurt to play hard to get, a little bit,” Yoojung advised.

 

Sohyun remained silent. She declined to meet him that morning because she was confused. He outright rejected her, yet he wanted to remain close. Although Yoojung’s plan was to get Seungho to fall for her instead, Sohyun was unsure whether she wanted to do it. She needed time to think before she decided on her next step.

 

Her phone buzzed with another incoming message. It was Seungho again, asking to meet for dinner instead. When Sohyun told Yoojung, she laughed out loud. “This is even easier than expected. He likes you, just too dense to see it,” she said happily. Sohyun looked ahead, her face calm but her heart fluttered at the thought.

 

Seungho waited impatiently for her response to his message. His phone finally buzzed half an hour later.

 

From The Hand

I can’t do dinner tonight. I see you at the steps tomorrow morning.

 

He was a little bit disappointed, yet relieved that he would see her the next day.

 

He bumped into her along the corridor of the campus that afternoon. She was chatting with a classmate and didn’t see him. He said hi as they were about to pass each other. She looked up, surprised and smiled her greetings and then continued with her friend. He was a bit disappointed that she didn’t stop to chat.

 

The next morning, he waited for her at the steps. Seungho was concerned that she may be uncomfortable because of her confession. Sohyun arrived and offered him an apple. “Is that what you are having for breakfast now?” he asked. She nodded, “An apple a day..” “Keeps the doctor away,” Seungho interrupted her. Sohyun laughed softly as she sat down on the steps, several feet away.

 

Seungho noted the distance she kept between them. “Is everything ok at home?” he asked. “Well, depending on how you defined what is ok. But Appa has not been home and hence there are no fights. We have decent family dinners now,” she said quietly. He moved closer to her. Taking her hand, he said, “I’m happy that at least its peaceful for now. Call me if it something happen, ok?”

 

Sohyun stared at his hand that was holding hers, watching how he caressed the back of her hand with his thumb, then pressing his palm against hers, before slowly he intertwined their fingers. The touch of his hands warmed her and sent tingles to her body. She raised her eyes, her face full of confusion, and she said softly, “Ok.” She then pulled back her hand and gave him a weak smile. “I gotta run. Library opening soon, I need to reserve seat. Bye,” she waved at him and walked off. He stared at her retreating back, telling himself that she needs time.

 

She rushed to the bench and saw Yoojung chatting. She grabbed her hands and said quickly, “Come with me to reserve the seat at the library.” Yoojung was surprised, “The library is only opened in 15 minutes.” “Just come,” Sohyun urged. Yoojung saw the panic in Sohyun’s eyes, so she scrambled from the table and followed her. The rest of them at the table were similarly confused.

 

Sohyun walked towards the library and then passed it until they reached the staircase at the end. She put her bags down and started to breathe deeply. Yoojung just watched and waited for her best friend to calm down.

 

“I’m so confused,” Sohyun breathed out. “He rejected me, and tell me to forget the confession, but why does he still behave as if he likes me,” Sohyun raised her eyes and gave Yoojung’s a questioning look. Yoojung took Sohyun’s hands, “Tell me what happened this morning.” After listening to Sohyun, Yoojung was certain that Seungho has some feelings.

 

“Did you make further plans to meet?” Yoojung asked. Sohyun shook her head. “The other day, he did ask to study at his place but I declined.” Yoojung thought for a moment. “I won’t tell you what exactly to do, then it won’t be natural. Keep in contact like previously. I don’t think study at his place is a bad idea, not often, maybe a once off. He is a gentleman, I don’t think he would do anything funny,” Yoojung suggest. Sohyun was still uncertain. “Sohyun, you feel confuse because he is confusing you. He is even confusing himself. He likes you but because he told himself he should not have a relationship, he is trying to keep to that, while at the same time, he cannot resist you. He needs to come to you, but he won’t if you push him away. At the same time, he needs the nudge so that he cannot think he can treat you like his girlfriend and not commit to you.”

 

That afternoon, Sohyun was stuck at a Stats’ question. “Should I?” she asked herself. Breathing deeply, she texted him asking for help.

 

To the Hand   

Where are you seated in the library?

 

To the Shoulder

At the back, near the Humanities section.

 

To the Hand

I’m in class right now. I’ll come over after that.

 

Feeling relieved, Sohyun continued her revision. She was so focused that she didn’t realise when Seungho stood beside her. “Oh, where should we go?” she asked softly. “Lets just do it here, show me what you’ve done and I see where you’ve gone wrong,” he suggested. “But there is no seat,” she stated. “It’s ok, I just stand. It’s just one question, right?” he asked. She nodded.

 

Sohyun took out the paper that showed her earlier attempt. He stood quietly reading the question and then he reviewed her workings. He bent down to show the part when her mistake starts. Sohyun was conscious that he had his hand at the back of her chair and the other hand on the paper infront of him. She just need to lean back and she would be enveloped in his arms. His body bent forward to show her the workings, was next to hers that she dared not turn. Sohyun listened and nodded her understanding, and finally thanked him without turning to look at him. He smiled and told her that he is leaving. “Where are you going?” Sohyun asked. “Home to study,” he said quietly, his eyes staring intently at her. She bit her lips, and shyly asked, “Can’t you study here?”  “It’s not effective for me,” he replied simply before he picked up his bag from the floor and walked away.

 

Sohyun turned to see him walked out of the library. She stood and ran after him. “Seungho” she called out after him the moment she was outside the library. He stopped, turned and waited for her. She walked towards him nervously and she saw that his eyes stayed on her. “Next week, there won’t be any more classes. Would you be coming to school at all?” He shook his head. “Oh,” she looked down at her shoes, focusing on a speck of dirt on it as she thought of what to say next. “What is it, Sohyun?” he asked. She shook her head.

 

“Nothing, goodbye,” she turned to go. He grabbed her hand, just holding on to the tips of her fingers. Her heart started to beat rapidly at the touch. “Tell me,” he spoke softly, his eyes were searching her face. She gazed at him and as calmly as possible, she said, “I was just wondering how then to ask for your help. But it’s ok, I’ve been enough of a nuisance and you’ve help me a lot.” His fingers moved higher and their hands are now intertwined. “You are never a nuisance. Why don’t you study with me? The other day at my place, you did manage to study, right?” She shook her head, as she gazed back at him. “I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she murmured. Seungho saw the uncertainty in her eyes, and he understood her concern. “Just one day. One day where you focus your revision on Stats and Econs, I can help with Econs too. It be easier, whenever you are stuck or have problem, I can immediately help you,” he told her. Some students walked past, so Sohyun pulled her hands away. “OK, I think about it and let you know,” she said.

 

The next day, they bumped into each other at the cafeteria during lunch. They greeted each other and went to have lunch with their respective friends. Sohyun turned to look at him after they passed each other but he walked without turning back. She admittedly felt a little bit disappointed.

 

Sohyun was struggling to keep herself awake that evening in the library. She was studying with her friends from her Sociology class as they had group study earlier. She could feel a headache coming, so she looked down and closed her eyes while rubbing her temple for several minutes. It wasn’t helping. Grabbing her phone and wallet, she left to buy aspirin. She ate a biscuit and then take the aspirin before going back to her seat.

 

On her table was a bottled water and a jjinppang with a post it note; Keep yourself hydrated. And don’t skip meals. YSH.  Her lips slowly curled into a smile as she turned around looking for him. Her friend, looked up, “He left after placing that. The Soccer Captain. Is he your boyfriend?” Sohyun shook her head, “Just a friend.” She sat down and took a small bite of the steamed red bean bun. It was tasty. She drank the water and then took out her phone.

 

To the Shoulder

Thank you for the bun and drink. I’ll enjoy it.

 

Seungho was about to enter his car when he got the message. He smiled. Before leaving school, he decided to see Sohyun to ask if she had any question on Stats that needed his help but he saw her struggling and finally rubbing her temple. He left the library and got her a drink and bun but saw that she wasn’t at the table anymore. He decided to leave her the note.

 

To the Hand

I’m glad. Take care of yourself when you study.

 

After reading the message, she made up her mind.

 

To the Shoulder

I’ll come over on Sunday. What time should I be there?

 

To the Hand

If I had known the effectiveness of giving you water and food, I would hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter