The lines are blurry

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Shall we meet for lunch tomorrow?” Sohyun asked. “Lunch, sure. But come over and I cook for you,” Seungho countered. Sohyun pondered for a moment and agreed. “Let me do the shopping on the way to your place. And then you can show off your cooking skills to me.”  They planned the menu and Seungho texted her the list of ingredients to buy.

 

Seungho was getting the utensils and crockery out when his door buzzed. With a smiled, he opened the door to find Sohyun looking stressed and disheveled. He widened his eyes, “What happened?” Wordlessly, Sohyun passed the bags of groceries into his hand and walked past him to the sofa where she sat down heavily and croaked, “Give me a glass of water, please.” He quickly rushed to the kitchen, and brought back a glass of water. After gulping the water, she leaned against the sofa and dejectedly told him, “I can’t fight the ahjummas at the supermarket.” Seungho guffawed.

 

He sat in front of her. Seungho took a tissue and wiped the perspiration from her forehead. “There were so many ahjummas, they were talking loudly while choosing the items. When I squeezed in between them to take something, they nagged at me. This is not good, not ripe, it’s bruised, get this one or that one.. I got so confused. So many of them..” Sohyun shuddered as she told him. Seungho felt guilty. He had told her to buy the things from the local supermarket nearby his home. That supermarket does get overwhelming in the morning and it must have been tiresome for a first timer. “I’m sorry..” he was apologetic.

 

Seungho sat beside her with his arm around her shoulder and she quickly snuggled against him, needed comfort from the earlier battle. her arm on one hand, he waited for Sohyun to relax.

 

“Ok, I’m ready. Let me be your sous Chef!” Sohyun declared after 10 minutes. Seungho sniggered at that declaration. “You really want to help?” She nodded enthusiastically.

 

In the kitchen, Seungho started by washing the rice. He showed her how to do it and then left her to clean it well while he unpacked the groceries she bought. He then went back to show how to measure the water and use the rice cooker. “That’s it? The rice cooker will cook it? So easy!” Sohyun clapped happily.

 

Next, he made her peeled the carrots. Sohyun had not used a peeler before but she quickly learned it. After that, he asked her to peel the onions and diced it. Sohyun had problem with dicing the onion, so Seungho showed her. Putting his arms around her, his hands over hers, he guided her the way to hold the onion and cut it. She giggled while doing it, and started blinking her eyes when it started to tear. “Seungho, it’s painful,” she whined as she turned her head towards him. With his arms still around her, her face was so close to his. He grinned looking at her teary face. he leaned down and lightly kiss her eyes. “Let me do this. Go wash your face,” he said softly. Sohyun had crimsoned from the unexpected kiss on her eyes. And with his arms around her, she felt flutters in her stomach. She ducked under his arm to quickly wash her eyes and cool her heated face.

 

It took longer than usual for Seungho to cook lunch because of the distractions. Sohyun had many questions. He tried to teach Sohyun, while they bantered, joked, teased and flirted. They both enjoyed doing it together as the laughters and giggles filled the kitchen.

 

Finally, the meal was cooked and Sohyun was famished. When Seungho served it on the table, he saw her puffed up looking at it. Glancing at him, she beamed and said proudly, “I helped in making these delicious foods.” He nodded agreeably. She whipped up her phone and took a picture to keep as memory.

 

“Be honest, was I of any help?” Sohyun asked. Seungho nodded with a smile, “Of course!”. “So, I can help next time?” she asked cheerfully. He stared at her before his lips curled into a smile, “Yes, you can. I enjoyed having you in my kitchen.” Sohyun grinned and ate the delicious lunch with gusto.

 

“Seungho-ah, remember you mentioned about a play that you wanted to watch with me but couldn’t because it was sold out?” Sohyun asked while they were eating. “You mean, the one with Kim Jummyeon?” he asked. Sohyun nodded. “Yes, I did try to get the tickets in the secondary market but the price quoted was exorbitant. I don’t think its worth paying so much. Sorry,” he said.

 

“I got two tickets to the premiere. You want to go with me?” Sohyun asked, her eyes on her food. Seungho wasn’t sure he heard it right. “You got tickets to the premiere? It’s this Thursday, right?” he asked. Sohyun nodded. Raising her head, she looked directly at him, “The company sometimes get invited to movie or play premiere and yesterday, while I was with Unnie, her secretary mentioned it. Unnie couldn’t attend, so I offered to go. I told Unnie I will bring a friend.” Seungho had leaned back to listen. “But, there is a cocktail event before the premiere which we have to attend. We may even get to see the main cast at the cocktail,” she offered.

 

Seungho remained silent as he thought about it. Sohyun was getting nervous about his silence. She had thought he would jump and be excited about it. Unfortunately, his face was inscrutable and he seemed to be thinking deeply about it. Its only tickets to a play, so she couldn’t understand why it was difficult for him. “It’s ok if you don’t want to go. I just thought you would like to since you seemed disappointed earlier when you couldn’t get ticket,” Sohyun said quietly and continued eating her lunch.

 

“Is your sister ok with a school friend joining you at the premiere? Won’t it create rumors about you?” he asked. Sohyun understood his concern. She shook her head. “It’s normal to attend event with a partner. It doesn’t mean anything. Sometimes, people come with social , just because they must attend with a partner. It’s acceptable. Attending it with me, does not mean people will start asking about you or think you are my boyfriend,” she explained. Seungho nodded, “Ok, then. Anything I need to mind about? Dress code?” “You need to wear a suit; will that be ok?” Sohyun asked. Seungho reassured her that it would not be a problem.

 

“Anyway, I’ve decided that I will focus on company’s media & communication and Oppa has agreed,” Sohyun informed Seungho. Seungho raised his eyebrows. “Why media and not something to do with business operations?” Sohyun gave a direct gaze before she spoke, “It’s because it has the least involvement in business operation.” Seungho was surprised at her adamant in not being involved in the company’s business. He could see that she was getting riled up about it, so he changed topic.

 

After lunch and cleaning up, they went to the living room.  Sohyun sunk back into the couch as she the tv with the remote. “What movie do you have?” she asked.  Seungho was rifling through his DVD’s collection. “How about Austin Power? It’s great for a laugh,” he suggested. Sohyun had not watched Austin Power for a long time, so she agreed. Seungho played the DVD and joined her on the couch, comfortably pulling her into his arms as they watched the movie. When she left in the evening, he asked her to come over again. Sohyun nodded happily.

 

Seungho was rushing to get ready for the premiere as he just finished work. Sohyun would pick him up in a chauffeured car since parking at the venue was notoriously difficult. With just a minute to spare, he sat down on the couch, drinking a cool glass of water when his phone beeped.

 

From the Hand

Turning into your apartment now. Take your time.

 

He slid into the Bentley and greeted Sohyun. He remarked at how lovely she looked. She was in a simply red dress with her hair nicely bunned up. She looks sophisticated and elegant. Sohyun smiled her thanks and complimented him too. As they chatted, Sohyun noticed that he did not take her hand. This was unusual but it was probably because he was shy to do it in front of her driver.

 

When they arrived at the cocktail event, Sohyun bumped into her high school friend. She introduced them, “This is Seungho, my friend. Seungho, this is Yoon Park, my classmate in high school.” Yoon Park shook hands with Seungho. They were also introduced to Yoon Park’s guest. They walked into the venue, and found it crowded with guests mingling around and waiters and waitresses offering drinks and hors d’oeuvres. Yoon Park and his guest excused themselves and walked away to find their other friends.

 

Sohyun and Seungho stood at one corner, enjoying a glass of wine as she told him about some of the guests from afar. “Sohyun,” they heard someone shouted. Sohyun turned and saw Mingyu, her favourite cousin, waving as he walked towards her. He hugged her and then pulled back to admire her. “You’ve all grown up! Is that why you’ve kept away, my pretty Cuzz?” he teased.

 

She laughed softly. “I’ve started Uni and struggling to keep up. Anyway, let me introduce you to my friend, Seungho.” Seungho extended his hand, “Hi, I’m Sohyun’s uni friend. Nice to meet you.” “Likewise!” he shook Seungho’s hand before turning to Sohyun, “Hey, you still haven’t gotten yourself a boyfriend? Stop waiting for Prince Charming. Don’t be picky.” Sohyun blushed and side glanced at Seungho, who looked calm. They were then introduced to his girlfriend.

 

“Do you know about the party Nayun is having in a few weeks’ time? I’m sure she would like you to come. Wait, let me call her,” Mingyu quickly made the call asking Nayun to come over to where they are.

 

Nayun, is a few years older than Sohyun is a very y and sultry woman. She came to them and gave Sohyun a hug. “I want to kill you! Always full of excuses about joining us. My party, you better be there, araso?” Sohyun nodded quickly. She had not attended any gatherings that her cousins have since she started Uni. Somehow, school and cheerleading had consumed her time.

 

“Great! I’ll send you the details,” Nayun said. She then noticed the guy standing beside Sohyun, “My my, my, who do we have here,” she drawled as she took her time admiring Seungho from top to bottom. Before Sohyun could introduce him, Mingyu interrupted. “Sohyun brought her school friend. She still does not have a boyfriend.” Nayun smile grew wider. “You are coming to my birthday party too, right? Nayun,” and she extended her hand towards Seungho.

 

Seungho was reluctant to shake her hand. He felt exposed from the way she had looked him up and down, but he gritted his teeth and took the offered hand which he quickly let go. Nayun was still staring at him, “You are exceedingly handsome,” she commented, her voice low and y.  Turning to Sohyun, “Cuzz, you have to bring him. Otherwise, you are not forgiven.” Sohyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter