How Do I Live Without You?

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Staring at the ceiling of his room, Seungho kept repeating the incident in his mind. He remembered the feel of her soft lips, supple and full under his, the taste of its sweetness and the warmth and softness of her body as she melted into his arms. He wants more of it. Then the memory of the look on Sohyun’s face as she heard the hurtful words from him. His heart clenched in pain as he felt the pain she must have felt. He closed his eyes as he tried to shut it away on focus on the beautiful memory but his mind refused to allow him to forget how he broke her heart immediately after the beautiful kiss.

 

After several hours of trying to forget the fiasco of the day before, occupying himself with his school work and household chores, Seungho decided to go for a run. Although his preference has always been to run early in the morning, he needed to clear his mind. Changing to his running gear, he ran towards the park near his home and continued to run beyond the park. But even after he ran till exhaustion and his legs could not move another step, he could not get rid of the pain he saw on her face which continued to flash in front of him. That night, his sleep was restless in spite of his exhaustion.

 

When Sohyun got back home, her sister immediately pounced on her. “I heard you introduced your boyfriend to Oppa. Why not to me?” Soyoung asked. Sohyun clenched her hand into a fist as she tried to control herself. “Because he wasn’t my boyfriend. but Jongsuk oppa and the rest kept teasing me that Oppa really believed them.” Soyoung was disappointed. “Really? Waa. I got excited for nothing. I thought my baby girl finally found someone that she actually likes.”

 

Sohyun walked past her sister quickly as she tried to maintain her composure. After taking a few steps, she paused and turned around. “Unnie, do you remember your friend Jingoo? He was at the party last night and I bumped into him again this morning.” Soyoung nodded. “Yeah, I saw him at your party. We chatted. He has grown to be really handsome. The US air was good for him,” she replied nonchalantly. Sohyun wanted to mention about his request but decided against it because it was possible he was just teasing her. So she turned back and walked up to her room.

 

She lay down on her bed to take a nap. When her eyes were closed, the memory of how Seungho had cupped her face and stared at her. She remembered every single second and every single feeling she felt when he kissed her. She loved his masculine scent and his warm breath as he pulled her closer when he kissed her. She was overtaken by pleasurable sensations which made her heart thumped widely and her body felt soft yet secured in his arms. She had not wanted it to end, loving the kiss.

 

She pressed her eyes tightly, holding back the tears that were threatening to fall as the words he said after shattered that beautiful kiss. She still could not believe how he could say those hurtful words to her, no matter how angry he was with her. She did get ahead herself, with all the introductions and holding his hands despite knowing his stand. But did it justify for him to cut her heart with those words? The kiss that meant so much to her was nothing to him. She felt like all this while, his show of affection and care for her meant little to him too. She breathed deeply, trying to ease the pain in her heart but it was futile. She finally cried herself to sleep.

 

Sohyun woke up from her nap in the early afternoon with a throbbing headache. She went to the kitchen to find food for lunch. She mindlessly ate her food with her eyes on her phone as she scrolled up and down, not actually registering what she is looking at on her phone.  There were some articles on the social sites about her birthday party but she didn’t even bother reading it.

 

Her phone rang. It was Yoojung who called because of her concern. Sohyun assured her that she was fine but welcome Yoojung to come over. She went to the garden and sat on a bench while she waited for Yoojung.

 

Yoojung doesn’t come over to Sohyun’s place often despite being friends for years as rarely did Sohyun volunteered her place. They often hang out at Yoojung’s. Yoojung didn’t know that Sohyun did not like having friends over because of the uncomfortable family relationship she used to have. After being directed by the helper in the house, Yoojung found Sohyun in the garden, her arms wrapped around her knees as she stared blankly ahead.

 

“Hey,” Yoojung touched Sohyun’s shoulder. Sohyun raised her head and smiled at her best friend. Yoojung sat down and asked, “How are you?”. Sohyun kept her eyes lowered and sighed heavily. She didn’t need to pretend to her best friend. She turned her head to the side and bit her lips, before it started to wobble and tears started to trickle down her cheeks. Yoojung’s heart went out to her. She put her arms around Sohyun’s shoulder and pull her into her hug and let her cry.

 

After her cries have subsided, Sohyun pulled back and started to wipe her face. Yoojung gazed at her, waiting for her to settle down. “Do you want to tell me what happened?” she asked gently. Slowly, Sohyun told Yoojung what happened.

 

“I get he was upset with all the introductions and teasing. But I don’t understand why he kissed you and then say such mean things. It’s as if he wants you to hate him,” Yoojung remarked.

 

Sohyun nodded sadly.

 

Yoojung gazed at her friend. “Are you really done with him?” she asked gently.

 

Sohyun sat quietly before she softly spoke, “I tried his so-called friendship and wanted it to be enough. I really tried.” She sniffled. “But I can’t anymore. I want to be with someone who wants me. Otherwise, I rather be alone.” Her voice broke as she said it. Raising her eyes towards Yoojung, “I can get over him, right? I can find someone else to love, right?” she asked hesitantly, her eyes b with tears as she sought assurance from her best friend.

 

Yoojung took her hands and gripped it tight. “It’ll take time but I can assure you, you’ll get over him and find someone who loves you unconditionally. Trust me.”

 

The next day, Sohyun went to school intently focusing her mind on the classes. However, at the back of her mind, there was uneasiness about seeing him during practice. Yoojung and Jiwoo abandoned their boyfriends and together with Saeron accompanied Sohyun’s at lunch. They sat at another table away from the soccer’s team and happily chatted about many things except anything that can bring in Seungho. Sohyun was grateful for the support she has from her friends.

 

Seungho was going through the training schedule with Soonho when, from the corner of his eyes, he thought he saw Sohyun. He looked up and saw her walking with Saeron towards the cheerleaders’ training area. Her face was calm and composed but he saw the brightness in her eyes missing. He told himself not to stare at her but his eyes continued to follow her as she walked to her group. Sighing, he tore his eyes away and returned his attention towards the issue at hand.

 

After training, there was a briefing for both the soccer players and cheerleaders. As Seungho spoke, Sohyun sat among her friends with her eyes lowered. Seungho rested his eyes on her briefly before he told everyone about the University 40th year anniversary event coming up in a month. “We will have to have a booth and games, something similar to what we did for the orientation. So those that were in the orientation meeting, there will be a meeting after training on Wednesday,” he said firmly before dismissing everyone.

 

As they dispersed from the meeting, Saeron tugged at Sohyun’s hand. “You were in the committee with Seungho. You both were in charge of the booth. What are you going to do about that?” she whispered. The same matter had been bugging Sohyun since the briefing. She turned to Saeron, she replied, “I thought of chickening out. But that’s not professional, right? We have a long year ahead, I can’t be avoiding him all the time.” She sighed. “Think about it first. You have two days until the meeting to decide,” Saeron suggested. Sohyun nodded.

 

The next day after school, Sohyun was walking towards the car park to go to a meeting at the office when she saw Seungho with Jieun walking towards his car. Her heart tugged painfully seeing them together. She took a deep breath and composed herself as she walked towards their direction which also led to her car. As she walked past the two of them, both stopped. Sohyun turned to Jieun, “Annyeong Jieun,” she inclined her head and continued to her car and drove off.

 

Jieun was surprised. She turned to Seungho and saw how he was staring after Sohyun, his face hardened, his jaw set and there was tension. His eyes followed her to her car and even after the car drove off. Only when the car was no longer in sight did Seungho breathed out and walked to his car silently.

 

Jieun entered the passenger seat and noticed how his knuckles were gripping the steering wheel tightly. After several minutes of driving, Jieun finally spoke. “She’s not happy that you send me to the doctor’s?” Seungho shook his head. “Then what’s wrong? She totally ignored you earlier,” Jieun asked. “We broke up,” he said quietly. Jieun blinked. “Were you even together?” Seungho exhaled heavily. Jieun had simply pointed out the problem in his relationship with Sohyun. “I meant we are no longer the way we were. I’m not even sure she still wants me to be even normal friends with her.” 

 

“Was it you or her that made the decision?” she asked. Seungho was silent for a while. “It’s her decision. But I drove her to it intentionally,” he bit his lips as Sohyun’s face, hurt, flashed across his eyes. Jieun was shocked. She had seen how Seungho treated Sohyun and she knew that he was in love with her. Although Jieun and Seungho had not been really friendly in high school, but when they went to Seoul, they hanged out a lot together since they were alone in a new city. And she had seen his face, when he was with Sohyun and when he spoke of her and Jieun couldn’t even deny that there were a couple of times, when she was jealous of it.

 

“My mum was heartbroken when her mom passed away. Although she had never said it, I know mum wants to introduce us to her family, at least for them to know of our existence. Although Sohyun has been the best thing that happens to me, I need to focus on my plans. Fully focus, and no distraction,” he said firmly. Jieun watched Seungho trying to convince himself that it was the right thing to do.

 

When Sohyun drove away, she breathed heavily trying to calm herself. Seeing him had been difficult but to see him with Jieun hurt even more. She bit her lips until it bled, trying to compose herself. “I can do this! I’ll get over him!” she kept repeating herself even as she felt her chest tightened with a thick sob that she valiantly tried to stifle.

 

At the meeting for the University’s 40th Anniversary, Sohyun stared at her notebook, pressing the tip of her pen hard on it as she listened to him speak. His eyes had caught hers when she walked into the meeting area, but she looked back impassively before quickly found her seat, furthest from him.

 

“We do not have much time. So, let's just go with what we did for the orientation. We can reuse the materials. Any changes you proposed is fine as long as you are committed that it can be done in time. Shall w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter