Committed

Difficult Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That Friday night, they met Sehun and his girlfriend, Sumin at a nondescript café in Hongdae. “You managed to find the café.  I was worried you can’t find it. My girlfriend has a penchant for small cafes. She preferred it to the pretentious places, that what she claimed they are of some of the other restaurants I tried to bring her,” Sehun joked. They were introduced and everyone sat down.

 

As they ate, the guys talk shop about the hospitality industry while Sohyun and Sumin chatted about themselves.  Sumin is a lovely girl, dressed simply with minimal makeup. Sumin may be a quiet, serious girl, but she is friendly and exudes a very warm personality. Sohyun immediately liked her. She noticed how Sehun often reached out for her or paused in his conversation to make sure she is eating well or comfortable. Throughout the conversation, she realized how much Sehun is a part of Sumin’s world.

 

Sumin was telling Sohyun the reason why she preferred not to attend the various events. “I attended a few times and it was so comfortable. Most of them were checking out what you wear and if you deserve to be dating a chaebol. The conversations are also very shallow. I was bored to death and decided I have better things to do with my time.” Sohyun nodded understandingly. “But maybe once in a while, you can show up. Poor Sehun, everyone started wondering whether he really has a girlfriend.  Come to those events where I will be there too. I try to be a better company.”

 

Sehun immediately leaned towards his girlfriend. “Yeah, baby. Help me. Some girls started hitting on me already, thinking that I don’t have any girlfriend. Even Sohyun. She wanted to kiss me,” he complained.

 

“Hey! I did no such thing,” Sohyun exclaimed.

 

“Oh yes, you did. You even told me you would marry me just a few months ago,” Sehun spouted, much to Sohyun’s chagrin.

 

“You!” Sohyun glared at Sehun who was grinning cheekily. Turning to his girlfriend, “Sumin could you smack that blockhead of a boyfriend you have?”

 

Sohyun had detected Seungho tensing up next to her and hence, she felt she needed to explain. Sohyun knows Sehun. He may be joking but his jokes may not be taken lightly by Seungho.

 

“Let me explain it in perspective,” she started, glancing at Seungho who was looking at her without any expression. “Sehun saved me from an embarrassing faux pau at my birthday party. I was grateful and if I remembered clearly, I said that I could kiss him for saving me from the situation. Could only. And then I did say that if we had to marry someone from within the circle, I would have picked him. It's just a figure of speech.  I have no intention of kissing or marrying you, Sehun!”

 

Sumin knew that Sehun was joking. But she let Sohyun explained because she could see that Seungho wasn’t pleased with what he heard. She saw the twitch at his temple and a flash of frustration in his eyes. He may not know Sehun well enough to know that his jokes are usually innocent, meant to tease but not to harm. It was obvious that Seungho was still insecure in the relationship, hence he was more affected by it. She understood it because she had gone through the same thing.

 

“Are you ok with the idea of marrying within the circle for business sake? I was quite stumped when I heard of it,” Sumin asked, diverting the crux of the issue.

 

“I think in most of the chaebol family, it is an accepted idea. It happens in my family too. Having experienced that, I don’t want to be in a marriage for business. I would like to marry for love. I want my children to grow up in a family filled with love,” Sohyun softly answered.

 

Sehun looked at Sohyun with understanding. “Sweetheart, you know it's not going to be easy. There would be sacrifice,” he said gently. Sohyun looked at him gratefully. Within their circle, everyone was aware of the sacrifice that Sehun took. He was an outstanding businessman, who led the Oh’s group marketing department successfully.  There were even talks that he may replace Yungjae as the heir apparent in view of his strong business acumen. But when he told his family firmly that he planned to marry Sumin, he was moved from his position to a less important one.

 

“Appa is no longer involved in the running of the business. Oppa told me that he won’t expect that from me. Even if that was not true, I have prepared myself for the consequence,” Sohyun disclosed. She looked down on her lap, not wanting to find out Seungho’s reaction to it all.

 

Seungho wasn’t surprised about the issue. His mom was affected by it. But what Sohyun said made him happy, because it means that they could have a future together.

 

“Did you hear about the course on running a resort that is being held by the top resort in Busan?” Sehun asked Seungho, changing the topic of conversation.

 

“Yes. I have attended the basic course and tomorrow, I will be going there for the intermediate course,” Seungho replied.

 

“Ahh.. are you staying over the weekend?” Sehun asked cheekily.

 

“No. We have a date on Sunday.  I’ll be taking the train back after the course,” Seungho explained.

 

“Why date in Seoul when you are already in Busan. Sohyun, you should accompany him to Busan and stay the weekend together. You can always date in Seoul some other time,” Sehun suggested.

 

Sohyun blushed at the idea of spending the weekend together.

 

Seeing Sohyun’s red face, it finally dawned on Sehun. He leaned back and shook his head.  “Waa, I totally respect you,” he said to Seungho.

 

Seungho glanced at Sohyun who had turned even redder. Putting his hand on hers, he quietly said, “She’s worth it.”

 

On the drive home, Sohyun talked about how much she liked Sumin. “Don’t you like her too?” she asked. Seungho agreed. “I was initially surprised. Somehow, I see Sehun dated a different type of girl. But its clear he is totally into her,” she continued.

 

Seungho cleared his throat. “I actually could see why he likes her. There are similarities in hers and your personality. So, if Sehun liked you before, it’s only natural he would fall for her.”

 

Sohyun turned around. “Don’t tell me you believe those rubbish that Sehun spouted earlier. It was just a figure of speech. And don’t you start believing Yoojung’s nonsense. She was just trying to tease you. There is nothing between us. There never was,” she insisted.

 

“The observation on the interest was not only from Yoojung. Even his brother noticed that you also favor him. And I did observe that he was extra sweet with you. He cares for you more than the other females, that I am certain. And I think it works both ways,” he said quietly, glancing at the shocked face. Sohyun was about to protest when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter