Part 21

Ryoushi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina swung her kyoketsu-shoge at Momo, who deflected it with her sword. She rushed and attempted to slice Mina wide open. Mina jumped back and kicked Momo hard against a nearby wall. Mina launched the blade right toward Momo's head but she flipped out of the way. Momo put some distance between herself and her younger sister before rushing in again, displaying picture perfect style with her katana while Mina displayed the most amazing skill with her kyoketsu-shoge. They battled all over the hallway until Mina crashed into the janitor cart, revealing that there were a few other choice Myohizaki weapons within. Mina looked up at the smiling Momo.

"What?" the Pink Shuriken asked. "I had to bring a few backups. You're welcome to use them. Not that you need them, I'm sure."

Mina rolled forward, swung her kyoketsu-shoge, and continued the battle.

 

 

Chaeyoung, Nayeon, and the couple made it to the bottom floor of the building. They exited to a back alley and made it to the street to see the whole area was at a standstill due to the power outage. They went across the street to observe the building from another alley, stopping there so everyone could recover.

"Why…" Jimin asked, "are we… in an alley?"

"Too dangerous to be out in the open," Chaeyoung explained. She kept her head on swivel back and forth while Nayeon made a phone call to the local police department to make sure they closed off access to the building. "Trust us, this is safer."

"What the…" Jeongyeon started, doubled over, "…what the hell… was that woman? That… what she did… is impossible!"

"Too hard to explain." Chaeyoung looked and saw a Range Rover pass by and recognized one of the passengers in the back seat. "Nayeon, I think that was Park Jinyoung."

Having just ended her call, Nayeon looked up, alarmed. "What?"

"I think he was in that car."

They walked around the corner and watched the car go down the block and stop about three buildings away.

 

 

Jinyoung and Jackson sat in the back of the SUV, looking at the darkened office building, hoping that Momo was still there. He looked at Jackson, "Can you deal with her?"

"I can handle her, sir," Jackson promised.

"Don't be too sure. Get in, kill her, and get out.”

"Is her contract to you finished?"

"I'll worry about that another time. I can't afford her being taken by the authorities. She talks too much. I need her dead. Understand?"

"Yes, sir."

 

 

As they kept their eyes on the car, Nayeon asked Chaeyoung, "Are you sure it's Jinyoung?"

"Sure enough," Chaeyoung answered. "I did meet him face to face." She saw the door start to open. "Wait."

A fit Chinese man around their age, wearing an overcoat got out and headed for the building.

"Who's that guy?"

"Whoever he is, I'd like to know why he's going into a building where the power is out," Nayeon said.

Jackson looked around and headed toward the back of the building to the same alley that they had escaped from previously.

"I'd like to know more why he feels the need to go in the back," Chaeyoung exhaled. She looked at her sister then back at Nayeon, "Watch them."

"Where the hell are you going?" Nayeon asked.

"Where do you think? Jinyoung's in that car and some guy just slunk out of the back. I thought you are 'a detective and not some blind statesman'."

"You think Mina can't handle herself?"

"Not when she's so focused on Momo and isn't expecting anyone else to be there. I have to help her, Nayeon." She drew her gun.

"And just what the hell do you plan to do?"

She cocked her gun back. "Make sure that the fight stays one-on-one."

Nayeon needed a moment to process what she was seeing. She scoffed. "You, sure as hell, aren't the same researcher you were a few months ago."

Chaeyoung smiled. "People can change, Nayeon."

"Yes, they can." Nayeon looked back at the car. "Go. I'll keep an eye on Jinyoung," she motioned towards the couple, "and them."

"Good." Chaeyoung looked at her older sister. "Stay with Nayeon and do whatever she says."

"Where are you going?" Jeongyeon asked.

"Back inside."

"That's foolish. What are you going to do?"

"To do whatever I can to help." She headed off across the street.

 

 

After a feverous exchange where several near fatal blows were landed, Mina tossed Momo through the glass wall of one of the conference rooms and took a second to get her breath back. She was bleeding from various areas, so was Momo, but no injury was life threatening; just inconvenient. Neither had time to focus on the minor injuries, however. This battle needed to be settled. Mina stepped into the room and saw no sign of Momo. She found herself very impressed by her enemy's shadow bending skill.

"I suppose now is a good time to explain myself, Mina," Momo admitted, her voice echoing again.

Mina faded into the shadows herself. "I wouldn't mind that."

They slowly moved around the room and floor, using the powers of the shadows to duel one another. Their strikes were fast and furious; they would collide and fade back into the darkness.

"For years," Momo began, "I defeated everyone. No one could touch me. Old man Nagato called me his 'most promising child'."

Mina was silent for a second. "Father called me the same."

"See how similar we are, sister?"

Mina paused for another second. "I do. We were raised and trained together, after all."

"Didn't think you'd admit that."

"No reason to deny it."

Momo moved out of the shadows and stabbed at another where she thought Mina was. She only stabbed the wall and Mina jumped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter