Part 19

Ryoushi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following morning, MiChaeng came to the office to find Nayeon sitting at her desk, forlorn.

"What's wrong?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Shut the door," Nayeon instructed.

MiChaeng looked at each other, concerned, but Mina closed the door.

"What's going on, Nayeon?" Chaeyoung asked once more.

"We found out who the last target is," Nayeon answered. Her face was making everyone worried.

"What is it?" Mina asked.

"Soo Man sent the files from the court cases to an acquaintance of his. A lawyer he trusted, to look them over."

"Seeing those files would make whoever it is a target."

"Exactly."

"Well, who is it?"

Nayeon let out a resigned exhale and stared at Chaeyoung.

"Nayeon, can you please just spill it all?" Chaeyoung said.

"The name of the lawyer… is Yoo Jeongyeon."

All the air was stolen from Chaeyoung at that exact moment. She stared at Nayeon for a while before slowly moving to a nearby chair and sitting down. She knew she would hear her name again, someday, but not like this. Not as a target of an assassin.

"Chaeyoung, she's going after your…"

"I got it, Nayeon," Chaeyoung interrupted. "I got it."

"Who is she?" Mina asked.

"No one." Chaeyoung’s words had some venom.

Mina could hear it, crystal clear, and the lie attached to them.

Nayeon looked between them and raised her eyebrows, quickly, at the uncomfortable air that suddenly entered the room. "I'll, uh… leave you two for a moment." She got up and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Mina watched Nayeon leave then focused her full attention to Chaeyoung.

"What's going on?"

Chaeyoung avoided Mina’s gaze.

"Nothing."

"You're lying."

"Figured that out all by yourself, did you?"

Mina folded her arms.

"Is Yoo Jeongyeon someone important to you?"

"No."

Mina just stared at her, patiently waiting for the forensic researcher to open up.

After a minute of full silence, Chaeyoung sighed. "Once. She was once. A long time ago." She scoffed. "You probably already know."

"I don't know everything but I can guess."

"Then, guess."

"No. I want you to tell me."

"Why?"

"You wanted honesty from me. You wanted my past and I’ve given them all to you. I need yours, too."

Chaeyoung stopped and shook her head.

"Fine... Yoo Jeongyeon is my sister."

Mina stared at her, completely blown away by this revelation.

"Momo is going to kill her."

"And that's why we have to stop her."

"It's more than that."

"No, it's not."

Mina couldn't believe what she was hearing. This couldn't be the same Chaeyoung. She was never so cold.

"She's your sister."

“Momo’s also your sister yet here you are, fighting and ready to kill her,” Chaeyoung said without thinking. She stopped when she realized what she had just said, looking down. “I’m sorry…”

“Chaeyoung,” Mina extended her arm to touch Chaeyoung’s face.

"It’s just…” Chaeyoung shook her head. “She's just the next target." She stood up and tried to walk past Mina. "We have to protect her. That's all."

Mina grabbed her arm, pulling her close to her so they were eye to eye. "She's your sister," she said, calmly.

Chaeyoung stared in her eyes and opened to speak. No words came out at first but the truth found its way soon. "I barely know her anymore."

"She's… your sister.” Mina let out a soft sigh. “Don’t… don’t make the same mistake I did. I didn’t do anything about Momo in the past and look where it got us. It’s too late for redemption.”

Chaeyoung couldn't go on right away.

"You don't know what we've been through, what's happened between us."

"It can't be enough for you to not care that someone is out to kill her."

"Maybe not." Chaeyoung couldn't explain, though. It just hurt too much. "But you don't understand…"

Mina let go of her arm.

"I will, if you tell me."

Chaeyoung wanted to tell her but the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter