Seventh Part| Irene

Linking Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Seventh Part| Backfires

Irene

 

I remembered what my dad used to tell me back then: If you list down the reasons why you love someone, it would end up as a list of reasons why you’ll fall out of love for them.

           

            Suddenly, I felt a hand slipped in mine.

            “You don’t mind this, don’t you?” Seulgi asked, as we walked to the outskirts of the town. I would’ve blushed but then I remembered how she greeted every pretty girl we passed by. It’s either she’s damn friendly or a natural flirt, whichever applies to this fool.

Joy and Seungwan were walking in front of us, engaging in a light conversation. Casual laughters, exchanging smiles… the sight of them suddenly sparked images in my mind. It looked like a silly dream, but a sweet and a bright one. White veil dresses. I squinted my eyes at the sudden vision, almost stumbling as I didn’t get to notice the road.

            They look happy… In love…

            I felt something cold run up to my spine. Intriguing, isn’t it? When you started doubting—figuring—who you love or loves you?

            I thought I heard that. But as I turned around and missed a step, I saw no one. No one except Seulgi.

            “Are you okay, Irene?!” Seulgi’s voice was frantic, holding me by my waist as I tripped over nothing. It took me a moment to respond as I was lost in her eyes, something that didn’t happen in a while. They were now a hint of green and blue, constantly moving like the waves of the sea. Quite stormy and entrancing, that I was lost for a moment (even when it felt like a minute). “Thank the gods I held your hand. Can’t you watch where you’re going?”

            I pushed Seulgi’s hand away when I realized our compromising position. My heart started running races, which I’m so confused of. I gave a taunting look directed at her.

            “What do you think you’re doing?” I spat, taking a few distances between us.

            “Well, I was kind enough to lend you a helping hand and act as your knight in a terribly shining skirt since the princess in you couldn’t even notice the curb.” She almost mocked me, except that she has that widest grin on her face as if she was proud of what she did. “Wasn’t I cool earlier? I’m like those princes in the fairytales right? Except that I’m more handsome, immortal and a matchmaker!”

            A sigh escaped my lips. Lightly shaking my head, I smacked her head and walked off, mumbling. “Sure, whatever floats your boat, fisherman.”

            “Oh please, why am I a fisherman?”

            “Because you seem to like getting the fishes in this wide, whole sea…or city.”

            She didn’t get it. Of course, our clueless but still bright as the sun Seulgi won’t get it.

            “But I don’t like fishing.” She innocently asked. “And the only thing I fished for was your attention.”

            Okay… maybe clueless but definitely not innocent Kang Seulgi.

            She once again tried to hold my hand but I was quick enough to avoid her touch.

            “Why are you so keen on holding my hand? I didn’t know you’re such a clingy matchmaker…”

            She rolled her eyes and took my hand again, this time succeeding. I tried to break free but she held on tighter. She placed an index finger to her lips, signaling me to keep quiet.

            “I just want to show you something. Come on, don’t be so stubborn.”

            “What do you want to show—me?” My voice trailed off as I started seeing things I wasn’t meant to see. In fact, I almost considered myself dreaming or dead because of the weird things suddenly moving around me. I mean, gods I should’ve thought of that when I saw Seulgi and Wendy together earlier, I mean that can’t be real life. I’m probably dead now and is leaving peacefully in the underworld oooooor Thanatos took pity on me and gave me a special last day before sending me to Tartarus. Whaaaaaaatever he likes. (Tartarus is the depths of the Underworld, by the way, as Seulgi told me).

            “You’re not d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter