Sixth Part| Irene

Linking Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sixth Part|Butterflies

Irene

 

I almost ran away. Almost.

             The Fire God asked me to take a seat next to him, on the empty chair left, but my limbs don’t even follow my mind. He was overwhelming, not in a scary type but something that screams “I don’t care what you think of me!” His right shoulder was higher than his left, making him look like he’s leaning when he’s sitting straight. Above all, his body was quite bulky.

            I thought that sitting next to him would literally blow me to bits.

            A grey butterfly the size of my hands was flying in circles above him. Well, no it’s not. It took me a while to notice its small gears and metal strings. It was a robot.

             I thought for a moment, it smiled at me. However, I realized it’s stupid. That can’t be right? Butterflies don’t even have faces and lips like us.

            “It’s quite amazing, isn’t?” The blacksmith mumbled, gesturing me to sit again and this time I obeyed. He was holding some screws and metal sheets in his hands. After twists and turns, another butterfly started flying in the air and joined the first. “It takes a creative hand to make such simple wonders. But automatons don’t have a life or power to last for eons. As time grows by, screws loose and machines break down. Nothing’s permanent, don’t you think?”

            On cue, the first butterfly slowly plummeted down, it’s wings deteriorated.

            “S-sir… I-I w-was just wondering.” I paused, looking at his eyes that we’re filled with flames no matter how calm he seemed to be. “W-what are you doing here?”

            A couple of screams and cheers cut us off. I glanced at the dance floor, noticing that the crowd parted from the stage into Seulgi.

            I bit my lip.

            As the song was playing, I was momentarily distracted. I’ve never seen such expression from Seulgi’s eyes.

            “Hah! Mortals.” Hephaestus took a shot of his whiskey and chuckled. “They are always easily swayed, easily manipulated. That makes them worse than machines. And when a person breaks down, they can’t be fixed.”

            He took a casual glance at me.

            “To answer your earlier question though, why do you think I’m here?” He laughed, as if I asked a stupid question. “Immortals don’t have a lifetime, no. Unlike you humans who waste your time on doing silly things when your timer runs out, gods have tons of time to spare. And well, I’m not here to just drink. I’m here… to give you a gift.”

            “A gift?”

            “Not exactly but a debt I owe that young half-blood there.” He pointed at Seulgi. “He saved my demigod son a few summers ago from a love mania. Doesn’t know what to call it... a love potion, perhaps?” He chuckled, continuing his story. “Anyway, tell her to consider this a return of the favor. You’re lucky. You’re friend knows her way around love.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter