Chapter Thirty Five

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Keys, wallet, bag, jacket... check. All Yoongi needed now were his shoes and he was ready to go. Oh and Jin. He needed to see how Jin was doing.

It had been about a week now since Jungkook had found out the of the baby and while it had clearly thrown Jin at first he seemed to be coping with it a little better now. Every so often though he’d wobble, his composure would slip and what he’d need then was some space and support. Yoongi wanted to make sure before he left that now wasn’t one of those times. He wanted to make sure Jin was going to be okay if he left him in the dorm with Jungkook on his own without backup.

So before heading for the hallway and his shoes he made his way to the kitchen. It was where he’d last seen Jin and from the clattering and the muffled voices he could hear from the hallway he was pretty sure he was still in there.

And yes, when Yoongi came to a stop in the kitchen doorway the first thing he saw was Jin, standing at the kitchen counter, a chopping board on the counter in front of him and a knife in his hand. He was in the middle of chopping up what looked like carrots but as Jungkook, who was lying across the table, head pillowed in his arms mumbled a “being pregnant ” Jin dropped the knife onto the counter with a sigh and turned to face him.

And Yoongi waited to see what his reaction would be. Hearing Jungkook whine about being pregnant when his own pregnancy had been playing on his mind so much recently wasn’t what he needed so there was a chance that he might need to step in and rescue him.

But as Jin retorted with a “Will you stop?” Yoongi was relieved to see that he didn’t sound sad, just exasperated.

“But Hyung…” Jungkook whined, undeterred by the scolding he’d been given and the frown being aimed his way. “… it hurts.”

“I know.” Jin assured him, voice rising in pitch as it always did when he was irritated. “And do you know why I know that? I know because you’ve told me a hundred times already!”

But Jungkook wasn’t cowed. “Yeah, because it does. My back hasn’t hurt this much since I pulled a muscle that time and I had to sit out of rehearsals for a week.”

“Don’t exaggerate.” Jin told him, not swayed in the slightest by the pout Jungkook was now sporting. “That was a real injury. A pulled muscle is not the same as bit of back pain caused by you refusing to sit up properly.”

“I’m not refusing to sit up.” Jungkook countered, still sprawled across the table, words muffled by the fabric of his hoodie. “I can’t.”

“Why can’t you?” Jin demanded, arms crossed over his chest now.

“Because it hurts.” Jungkook repeated.

“And I’ve told you, it hurts because your posture is terrible. So if it bothers you that much do something about it. Get up and move around. Or at least sit up straight.”

“But sitting up straight is so tiring.” Jungkook moaned. “And I’m happy where I am.”

At this Jin actually rolled his eyes and Yoongi found himself grinning. He’d always found an annoyed Seokjin kind of adorable. And to be honest it was a relief, seeing him get frustrated with Jungkook’s over-dramatics. It was nice to see them bickering. He’d been so worried about how Jin was dealing with everything but this was how Jungkook and Jin’s relationship had always been. They were back to normal, interacting as they usually would,  at least for now and that was good to see.

He was only pulled from his thoughts about Jin’s current mood and how glad he was that he didn’t seem sad when a hand landed in his shoulder causing him to almost jump out of his skin.

The hand he realised, when he turned a glare onto the culprit, belonged to Hoseok who looked rather pleased with himself. But before Yoongi could admonish the younger man for sneaking up on him Jin was talking.

“I thought you two had work to do in the studio today.” He was saying, Hoseok’s sudden appearance drawing his attention to the fact they were both in the doorway.

“We do.” Hoseok said cheerfully, hand still on Yoongi’s shoulder. “I was just coming to check if Yoongi wanted to head out together.” He explained giving said shoulder a clap.

“Ah…” Jin said with a nod. And then he realised that if Hoseok had only come to fetch Yoongi then Yoongi must be there for another reason. “… I didn’t notice you were there.” He said, attention turning to his friend. “Did you want something?”

Yoongi, a little embarrassed at being caught hovering in the doorway but not entirely sure why, shook his head. “No… no, not really… I was just… uh… checking on Jungkook?” he ventured, the words coming out as less of a statement and more of a question. He couldn’t admit that it was Jin he’d been checking up on without questions being asked and Jin didn’t need that kind of stress.

Having his name mentioned was enough to make Jungkook finally sit up, if only so he could turn and look at his hyung properly. “I’m okay.” He told him as he stretched and rolled his shoulders. “And I’m not going to be on my own. Jin hyung doesn’t have any plans today so he’s making me lunch then we’re going to play video games.” He added.

“Your back's bothering you today?” Hoseok asked, picking up on the grimace that had accompanied Jungkook’s shoulder roll.

“Don’t.” Jin said, before Jungkook could answer. “Don’t get him started. It’s all I’ve heard from him all morning. And it’s his own fault for spending so much of his time lying on the couch doing nothing.”

“I was tired!” Jungkook retorted. “I couldn’t sleep last night, it was too warm and I kept needing to get up and pee.”

“But you know that lying on the sofa does nothing for your back. You’ve said it yourself, more than once.” Jin reminded him.  

“It’s the only sofa we have. And it’s not my fault I want to lie down all the time. It’s the baby’s fault for getting heavier.” Jungkook groused, pout forming.

“I’ve already told you.” Jin argued, not giving up. “It’s your posture that’s the issue, not the baby. The baby isn’t forcing you to lie sprawled out on the couch or sit slumped in your chair and he’s not that big, you’re only halfway through your second trimester.”

“It might not look like it from the outside, but he’s heavy, okay?” Jungkook told him, eyes narrowing and hand going to smooth the fabric of his sweatshirt over his bump.

And Yoongi had to agree, Jungkook was hardly enormous. His bump was more noticeable now but it was still pretty small. But saying so wasn’t going to help even if Jungkook had just admitted it himself. And taking in the look on Jungkook’s face and the way Jin had crossed his arms over his chest again he was thinking he should probably intervene and change the subject before their bickering turned into a full blown argument.

But as it turned out he didn’t have to because Hoseok had had the same idea. “What are you making?” he asked walking further into the room and towards the kitchen counter and the ingredients Jin had been preparing.

Jin aimed one last unimpressed look at Jungkook and then turned to Hoseok, expression clearing. “Japchae.” He told him. “Jungkook wanted me to go out and get french fries to go with the bottle of chocolate sauce he found in the cupboard but I managed to convince him his son needed some actual nutrients so I’m making him some real food instead.”

And as Jungkook opened his mouth, probably intending to argue some more, Yoongi took a turn at stepping in. “Jin’s right, french fries and chocolate sauce isn’t a meal.” French fries and chocolate sauce sounded pretty disgusting to be honest but saying so to Jungkook probably wasn’t the way to go, he’d been a little sensitive to anything that might come across as criticism lately. “But if you want french fries that badly I can bring you some back later, as a snack.”

And Jungkook’s pout immediately faded, his eyes lighting up as he turned to look at him. “Can you bring me a chocolate milkshake too?”

“If you promise to eat your japchae.” Yoongi told him, feeling like he was talking to a toddler.

Jin shook his head and mumbled a “People need to stop giving in to him” as he turned back to the counter but there wasn’t much bite to his words and again Yoongi couldn’t help smiling.  Jin was cute when he sulked.

Hoseok seemed to be of the same opinion, shaking his head at Yoongi before stepping closer to the counter to get a better look at what Jin was doing. “Will you keep me some if there’s enough?” He asked.

“Of course.” Jin told him. “Namjoon already asked me to keep him a bowl so I’m planning to make sure there’s enough to leave leftovers.”

“I might have some later then too, if there’s any left.” Yoongi informed them. Jin made pretty good japchae so if there was any going spare later he wasn’t going to turn it down.

And Jin paused in his carrot cutting mid knife , brow furrowing in thought. “You’ll only end up getting home later than you were planning to and decide you’re too tired to eat.” He said after giving it some consideration.

“I won’t.” Yoongi told him, the denial automatic.

“You will.” Jin insisted. “So if you really want some I can bring it down to the studio later.”

“You don’t have to do that.” Yoongi protested, never one to want others to go out of their way for him.

But Jin didn’t get the chance to reply because Hoseok was talking again. “How come Yoongi gets offered a full on delivery service and I only get offered leftovers?” he asked, the smile on his face letting them know he was only teasing.

“Because Jin Hyung loves Yoongi Hyung more than he loves us.” Jungkook answered for him, quick to join in.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Jin muttered, and looking slightly flustered he went back to the vegetables he’d been trying to cut before they’d come in and distracted him. “I just trust you two to eat without having to be reminded, that’s all.”

“If you say so.” Hoseok said, sharing an amused look with Jungkook.

“I do say so.” Jin huffed, still refusing to look at him.

“And I’m leaving.” Yoongi added. The sooner he got out of Jin’s the way the sooner he’d be able to get Jungkook’s lunch finished. Their presence was leading to a delay in their maknae being fed and a hungry Jungkook was a grumpy Jungkook. Nobody needed that.

“I guess I should be going as well.” Hoseok agreed, stepping back from the counter. “Things to do. But if you do bring Yoongi some japchae down to the studio make sure you bring me some too.”

“I already told him, he doesn’t have to do that.” Yoongi reminded him.

“And we all know he has no faith in your ability to feed yourself and that he’s going to do it anyway.” Hoseok said brightly. “So there’s no point in arguing. Let’s go. We can take the van down together.”

Hoseok was right, and not only that but telling Jin not to do something was only going to make him want to it more. So he gave a reluctant “Fine, let’s go.” as Hoseok started back across the kitchen.

“I’ll see you both later.” Jin told them, still not looking away from his chopping board.

But a distracted see you later was still better than Jungkook’s goodbye of “Remember my fries.”

Then Hoseok was grabbing Yoongi’s arm and pulling him down the hall, giving Yoongi jsut enough timeto turn back and shout his own goodbyes over his shoulder.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

He’d had so much drive, so many ideas he was ready to work on before he’d left the dorm but a few hours after arriving at the studio Yoongi found himself sitting at his desk, staring in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter