Chapter Twenty Eight

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Hoseok had asked him if he’d come with him and give him some feedback on the music he’d been working on Jimin had been a little confused.  Hoseok was a perfectionist and he rarely let people hear what he was working on until he was completely happy with it. And if he ever did want help or feedback, which wasn’t often then it was Namjoon or Yoongi he would ask. But feeling it would be rude to say no Jimin hadn't questioned it, instead he'd nodded and accepted the invitation. And anyway he’d been stuck in the dorm for days, it would be good to get out even if they were only going to the studio.

And it had been nice, listening to his friend talk him through the music he was working on. It had been kind of flattering too when Hoseok, clearly feeling self-conscious over showing him something he’d worked so hard on had turned to him and asked him what he thought. Jimin didn’t think he was entirely qualified to answer, he wasn’t some kind of musical genius but Hoseok’s question had seemed entirely genuine and the way he’d nodded, slight frown on his face as he’d listened to what he had to say had let him know he actually did value his opinion.

But working on Hoseok’s music, that hadn’t lasted long. Music was still playing but it wasn’t his hyung’s and they were no longer in front of the monitor, Hoseok clicking buttons with a look of concentration on his face. Instead they were sitting opposite each other on the small couch in the corner, boxes of take out food on the seat between them and Jimin was thinking that despite Hoseok truly listening to what he’d to say earlier, getting his opinion hadn’t been the main reason he’d brought him there. It was natural to go quiet when food arrived, eating meant less talking after all, but Hoseok hadn’t just gone quiet, his expression had turned serious too. And more than once Jimin had caught him opening his mouth as if he was about to say something only to shove some more food into it instead.

When this happened for what must have been the fourth or fifth time Jimin sighed and put down his chopsticks. “Okay, so this has been fun.” He said. “And I really do appreciate you asking me to come and help but that’s not why you brought me here is it? You wanted to talk to me about something, I can tell. So go on, what is it?”

“It’s nothing.” Hoseok said, the answer automatic but when he was met with a sceptical look from Jimin he amended his answer slightly. “I mean I didn’t bring you here to talk to you about anything in particular. You’ve just seemed kind of quiet over the last couple of days and I thought you might appreciate some time away from the dorm, you know… some space to think.”

Jimin, surprised by Hoseok’s answer, found himself staring at his friend as he struggled to come up with a response. The whole situation, with Jungkook and Taehyung, it had been weighing on him heavily it was true. Jimin was a natural worrier and on top of that he never had been the best at dealing with change. And usually, when he felt anxious about something it was Taehyung he would go to. But Taehyung didn’t need that right now, he had a lot to deal with already without having him to worry about too so Jimin had been keeping his distance, he’d been keeping to himself. But he hadn’t thought anyone had noticed.

It seemed Hoseok had though. “I know you’ve been trying to keep things together for Jungkook’s sake.” He continued, sounding more confident now. “But you don’t have to keep up that front all the time. If you’re finding things hard you can say so. If you want to talk about how you’re feeling you can talk to me. I won’t tell anyone and I’m not going to judge you. I promise.”

Hoseok spent so much of his time playing up to his role of mood maker that Jimin sometimes forgot that that wasn’t all there was to him. Hoseok took things just as seriously, of not more seriously than everyone else sometimes and he could be incredibly perceptive. And he was right, Jimin had been feeling kind of lost, especially since Taehyung and Jungkook had started talking again. It just wasn’t something he’d wanted to admit. Focussing on his own feelings when they had so much more to worry about than he did felt wrong. But shutting Hoseok down when he was only trying to help would be wrong too. “I just… I suppose I am struggling a little.” He admitted. “Not that I have any right to be. It’s not my baby. It’s not like it’s my life that’s about to change.”

Hoseok shook his head. “It might not be your baby but that doesn’t mean your life isn’t going to change.” He argued. “Things are going to change for all of us and it’s fine to be worried about that. I know I am. We don’t know what impact this is going to have on our future as a group, just that it will have one. But the difference is I’m not keeping those worries to myself. Neither is anyone else, we’ve talked about it together. And I think if you talked about what’s worrying you that would help you too.”

Jimin sighed. Hoseok was right. He had no idea what was going to happen to BTS once Jungkook and Taehyung’s baby arrived. They both said they still wanted to be part of the group but how was that going to work? Being a parent was a full time job all in itself. So even if they tried, even if they amended their schedules and did their best to work around the baby chances were that one or both of them might decide it was too much. And if one or both of them left the group then what then? “I don’t know…” he said, trying to find the words to share how anxious he was feeling about the future without making it sound like he was trying to make everything all about him. “It’s just what if it’s all too much? What if, in the end, it’s easier for everyone if we’re not a group. What if everyone decides it would be easier to do their own thing at their own pace?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter