Chapter Twenty Four

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung had left the dorm earlier that day, it was his turn to visit his family so they could talk and while Jimin was missing having him around it had also been a somewhat of a relief. Yes, Taehyung was his best friend and yes it wasn’t the same without him but after two days of being stuck in the middle, between him and Jungkook he needed a break.

On one side he had Jungkook telling him how sorry he was. ‘I wanted to tell you’ he kept telling him, ‘I wanted to tell Taehyung too but I didn’t want either of you to be mad at me’. Jimin kept telling him not to apologise and that he understood but he didn’t think Jungkook believed him. Every other sentence he’d said to him over the last couple of days was some kind of apology and Jimin didn’t like it. He hated seeing Jungkook being so hard on himself, everyone made mistakes and it wasn’t as if he’d intentionally tried to hurt anyone. It was just the way things had turned out. But it wasn’t just the constant apologising that Jimin couldn’t handle. Jungkook kept asking him about Taehyung too.

‘Is he okay?’

‘Is he still mad?’

‘Do you think he’ll forgive me?’

 ‘Why won’t he talk to me?’

‘Do you think things will ever go back to normal? That we can be friends again I mean…’

And all Jimin could do was try his best to reassure him. He’d tell him it had come as a shock and Taehyung might be hurt right now but he’d come around. Taehyung cared about him and no matter what happened that wasn’t going to go away. Then he’d follow that up by telling Jungkook to talk to him. He’d tell him if he really wanted to know how Taehyung was feeling he should ask. But Jungkook would just get all jittery and nervous, mutter something about not wanting to push him and wanting to wait until Taehyung was ready then he'd change the subject.

Then on the other side he had Taehyung asking him why Jungkook hadn’t felt able to tell him he was pregnant. Every time he did Jimin would tell him that he was sure that it hadn’t been personal, that Jungkook had just been scared and hadn’t known how to.  But Taehyung refused to accept it. He’d tell him he still didn’t get it. He’d tell him he didn’t understand why Jungkook would be scared to tell him anything when they were friends. Jimin’s answer to this was ‘talk to him’. He’d suggested to Taehyung countless times since the meeting with management that the only way to find out why Jungkook had really kept it from him for so long was to ask. But Taehyung wouldn’t listen to that either. ‘If he didn’t want to talk to me then, then why would he want to talk to me now?’ he’d snapped the first few times Jimin had suggested it, everything still clearly feeling raw. After a while he’d gotten a little less defensive, he’d changed from ‘why would he want to?’ to ‘what if he still doesn’t want to talk to me? What if he blames me and that’s why he’s still avoiding me?’ Jimin thought this was even more ridiculous. He’d told him Jungkook wouldn’t be so childish or so petty. He’d told him Jungkook was probably waiting for him to say something first, but that hadn’t got through either. It was like talking to a brick wall.

With Jungkook too scared to talk to Taehyung and Taehyung too stubborn to talk to Jungkook and with neither of them willing to listen to him things had been tough. Jimin was sure that as soon as they got over that first hurdle and actually spoke to one another everything would fine but they were both just as stubborn as each other, something that had had him close to pulling his own hair out.

But Taehyung was out of the dorm and he would be for the next couple of days at least so that was giving him some temporary respite. For the moment he wasn’t stuck in the middle, it was just him and Jungkook and he was enjoying spending time with one of his best friends without feeling like he would have to cut it short at some point to go and spend time with the other.

They weren’t doing much. They were in the sitting room, Jungkook sitting at one end of the couch, an open packet of crackers sitting beside him, his hand reaching in every so often for another as he watched a far too cheerful woman try to sell people arts and crafts stencils  on the television. He was sitting at the other end of the couch, flicking through a home interiors magazine he’d found on the coffee table. He wasn’t sure how it had gotten there or who had bought it but the pictures were pretty and he now kind of wanted a safari print lampshade. It was peaceful. It was nice.

And then Jungkook was speaking.

“Hmmm?” Jimin asked, looking up from magazine on his lap. He’d been trying to work out how to convince Hoseok that zebra print really would work as an accent in their room and had only caught the ‘hyung’ on the end.

“I said are you sure you’re not mad at me.” Jungkook repeated, eyes downcast, “If you are it’s okay. I’ve really let everyone down.”

Jimin sighed. How many times did he have to tell him this before he believed him? “I told you, I’m not mad. I’m not even disappointed. It was a shock at first and I wish you’d told me but I get it, if I was pregnant I’d be scared to tell people too.”

“I know, you keep saying that.” Jungkook said, looking up at him. “But it’s not just that we’re friends and I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter