Chapter Thirty Three

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jungkook had returned from his appointment he’d headed straight for Jin, ultrasound picture in hand. “Look Hyung!” He’d exclaimed, excitement almost tangible.

And Jin had looked. “She’s getting so big.” He’d said, offering up a smile. Just because he’d been struggling lately, thoughts of what could have been playing on his mind, that didn’t mean he couldn’t still be happy for Jungkook.

“He.” Jungkook amended, his own smile widening. “He’s getting so big. We’re having a little boy. Isn’t that amazing?”

“That is pretty amazing.” Jin agreed, holding out the picture out to Jungkook so he could take it back. He had everyone else to tell and he’d want to show the picture off when he did it.

But Jungkook waved the picture away. “That one’s yours.” He told his hyung. “Since you couldn’t come today and see on the screen in real time I asked for an extra copy again, for you to keep.”

“Oh…” Jin said, pulling his hand back, his grip tightening on the piece of paper in his hand. He now owned two pictures of Jungkook’s baby he realised and that immediately reminded him of the fact he owned no pictures of his own. If he’d done something about his suspicions sooner, admitted to himself he was pregnant, then maybe he would. Even if he’d ended up losing the baby, even if there had been nothing he could do about that at least he’d have had a scan picture to show for it. But no, he couldn’t go down that train of thought, not now while he was standing in front of an ecstatic Jungkook. That wouldn’t be fair. “… thanks.” He managed to murmur,  trying not to let Jungkook see how shaken he was.

“Your’re welcome.” Jungkook chirped, thankfully too caught up in his own excitement to notice any change in his behaviour. Then he was pulling another copy of the scan picture from his pocket and skipping off to see Namjoon.

And Jin, trying to keep a grip on himself until he was out of everyone’s sight so he didn’t have to explain what was bothering him headed for his room. On his way there he passed Taehyung whose first port of call once home had been Jimin. They were standing in the hallway, shoulder to shoulder, marvelling at the picture Taehyung was holding in his hand.

“That’s your son.” He heard Jimin say, sounding awed. “You’re going to be a dad.”

“I know.” Taehyung replied, sounding equally overwhelmed.

Jin, not wanting to be drawn into conversation but not wanting to appear rude either settled on clapping Taehyung’s shoulder as he walked past and muttering a quiet ‘Congratulations.’

Waiting only long enough for Taehyung to utter a ‘thanks Hyung’, complete with blinding smile in return he made for his room closing the door behind him.

And as soon as he was inside and safe from scrutiny he was slumping against the door he’d just closed, head dropping to his chest and eyes closing as he took a steadying breath.

He stayed that way, back to the door focussing on his own breathing for a minute or two and it was only when he opened his eyes again, composure somewhat restored that he noticed Yoongi sitting on his bed, legs crossed and laptop open in front of him.

“You were in the kitchen.” Jin found himself saying. When he’d seen him last Yoongi had been looking for lunch, he hadn’t counted on him being back in their room so soon. If he’d known he was going to be there he’d have kept his fake smile on a little longer, headed for the bathroom for some privacy instead. Yoongi had been worrying about him a lot lately and the last thing he wanted to do was give him a reason to worry more.

“I was.” Yoongi confirmed. “But now I’m not. I found lunch and brought it back here.” He added, picking up the bag that was sitting beside him and waving it at Jin.

“Shrimp crackers are not lunch.” Jin informed him with a frown.

“Maybe not but they taste good.” Yoongi shrugged, dropping the bag back onto the mattress.

Jin, not having the energy to argue with him just hummed in agreement.

“Jungkook home?” Yoongi asked next, immediately knowing what the issue was.

Jin nodded. “Yeah, yeah he’s home. They found out the gender of the baby at his ultrasound, they’re having a little boy and he’s over the moon. I’ve never seen him smile so much. Taehyung’s pretty happy too. I think it’s just hit him for real that he’s going to be a dad.”

“Sounds like Taehyung.” Yoongi agreed with a smile. “He can be a little slow to catch on sometimes.”

“Be nice.” Jin scolded but there was no real bite to his words. He knew Yoongi was only trying to lighten the mood.

“I’m always nice.” Yoongi informed him.

And Jin guessed that since Yoongi was always nice to him at least he could let that one go. “Knowing there’s a baby and seeing that baby for real, even if it’s only on a screen are two very different things.” Jin reasoned, coming to Taehyung’s defence.

“I suppose so.” Yoongi conceded. “Today was a pretty big deal for them. It’s going to be a while before they shut up about it, won’t it?”

“They’ll be talking about it for days.” Jin agreed. Talking about how excited they were, how amazing it was that they were having a son, making plans for the nursery, talking about the clothes they were going to buy and the names they liked. One part of him was just as excited as they were and wanted to join in, Jungkook was like family to him which meant the baby was going to be family to him to. Which meant he was going to have a nephew to spoil soon and that was exciting. But there was another part of him that wasn’t sure he’d be able to cope. He wanted to be happy for them but every plan they made would remind him of all the plans he hadn’t had the chance to make for his own baby and it was like a tiny jab in the heart each time.

“You okay?” Yoongi asked.

He was far too good at picking up on how he was feeling Jin decided, not sure if that was a good or a bad thing. On the one hand it made it impossible to keep secrets from him which may one day turn out to be problematic. On the other hand he really wasn’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter