chapter 23

Which piece of art is perfect though?

It was the third day in hospital when Taehyung woke up.

Jungkook was sitting on a chair next to him, holding his hand and thinking that he never again wanted to see the 'I hope you feel very ty now'-look on Jimin´s face which the older had given him three days ago while telling him the truth about Taehyung´s disappearance.

As often Jungkook was too lost in his thoughts to notice at first. He did not catch the change in Taehyung´s breathing pattern. But then he felt his hand being squeezed back and he almost lost it at the sign of life and consciousness of his beloved. He squeezed back and soon there was another squeeze. They kept squeezing each other´s hands for some minutes, sending silent messages of compassion, love, safety, assurance and reassurance.

During their squeezing messaging Jungkook wouldn´t stop whispering Taehyung´s name and apologizing. And didn´t it make him the happiest man on earth as Taehyung finally opened his eyes and looked up at him with focused clear view. Because Jungkook could see that he was not broken, had not become an empty shell, a shadow of his former self. No, Taehyung had been fighting, always had, and he had won the battle against the darkness. However, what Jungkook could not say was if Taehyung still loved him and if he would ever be able to forgive him.

The first question was answered unexpectedly fast as the other reached out for his collar, pulled him down in a tight hug and sweetly kissed the artist. Struggling a bit with all the wires stuck in his hands and arms, he caressed the younger´s cheeks, drawing idle circles with his thumbs.

Jungkook was lost in the blissful touch, in the utter relief he felt. But only until he remembered that Taehyung didn´t know his treason. He stiffened. Maybe Taehyung would hate him for not trusting him, for not trying to save him at all. Maybe it would destroy everything, maybe he would break his promise to not harm him anymore in the first week. On the other hand, Taehyung deserved to know the truth. It was out of question for the younger that he had to tell him. No secrets, no lies. He gulped hard, mentally preparing for rejection, an outburst of anger, a breakdown with much weeping, an ice-cold stare bare of emotions or whatever might come. He would accept it, embrace it and just be glad the other was alive.

"U-uhm, you might not want to kiss me anymore... I have to confess something to you." Jungkook played with the blanket. "And it might be too early to tell you this as you just woke up but I think you should know..." He squeezed his eyes shut and took deep breaths. It was more difficult to tell him than he had imagined. But before he could even begin his confession, Taehyung answered him.

"Are you talking about believing that I cheated on you and therefore banning me from your life? I already know.", he stated with an expression of calm determined awareness.

Jungkook´s jaw dropped. He must´ve misheard it. "Sorry, w-what?"

And Taehyung had the nerve to roll his eyes. "I know, silly."

"How?", the artist asked weakly.

The other casted him an apologetic look, just irritating him more. Why does he look apologetic? I should be the one apologizing. What´s going on here?

"Actually, I was more or less conscious as you talked with Jimin", Taehyung admitted. "But I acted as if I was in deep coma. I wanted to hear the full story without interrupting the both of you. And I wanted to see your reaction if I woke up." He looked straight into the eyes of the younger, as if searching for something. "I have been conscious most of the time. It sometimes got really hard not to react to you. But I wanted to know your intentions, your thoughts, your feelings about what happened. People are the most honest if they deem themselves alone and unheard. That way, I could be sure of your sincerety as you talked to me and cried and held my hand all the time, thinking I wouldn´t catch any of it."

Jungkook stared at him. He was a fox. A cunning, brilliant, beautiful, pure-hearted fox. But if he was serious, did that mean... ?

As if he had read his thoughts, Taehyung clarified: "And I hereby let you know that I don´t hold it against you, Kookie. They tricked you just like they tricked me too as they came to my apartment. It is not your fault, nor is it mine. We both were victims of the Bla- of them in different ways. This changes nothing at my feelings for you." He took Jungkook´s face in his hands and bumped their heads together like he always did. "I still love you. I always will. Nothing will ever change this. My heart is your´s, and your´s only."

And Jungkook wept. Hard. When had he become such a softie? It was only for Taehyung though, only him would he show his weak side. I don´t even deserve you... you are too good for me, too kind, he thought but didn´t say it out loud. Jimin´s words echoing through his mind. Instead, he simply mumbled: "I love you too."

--------------------------------------------

Taehyung wasn´t allowed to leave the hospital for two more weeks. The doctors were very worried about his mental health and wanted to make sure he gained his former weight. Which was not easy as the hospital´s food was barely edible. Luckily Jimin, being the caring angel he was, brought each day a huge amount of tasty rich food for Taehyung and Jungkook (who refused to leave without his lover and nearly knocked down a nurse who tried to shove him out of the room which resulted in the staff members accepting his permanent presence but glaring at him all the time).

One day, Jimin came earlier than normal. He burst into the room and ordered "TV... on... now" while catching his breath. Confused, Jungkook obliged and switched on the small TV hanging on the wall accross of the bed Taehyung laid in.

A young news reporter appeared on the screen. "...now to the breaking news. The national police department recently confirmed the successful elimination of the underground organization 'Black fox'. Thanks to an operation three weeks ago the police got all the informations missing for successfully extinguishing the organization. 'Black fox' was a criminal organization dealing with heavy weapony, murdering several innocent people and torturing them in the most cruel ways. The organization was spread over the whole country and very well-structured. The secrecy amongst the members made it even more difficult for the police to catch the perpetrators..."

The three men laid in each other´s arms, laughing and crying. Celebrating. Jimin got out three glasses and a bottle of sparkling wine god knows from where and popped it open. It was over. Nobody would hunt, kidnap and torture Taehyung ever again. There would be no third hell. It was over. They had nothing to fear from the Black fox anymore.

That day made it in Jungkook´s personal Top five.

"To a brighter world", the artist toasted.

"To a brighter world", Jimin and Taehyung repeated, beaming.

Maybe it could even be a Top three day.