chapter 19

Which piece of art is perfect though?

They leisurely spend the day, letting time flow. It was saturday and they had all the time in the world. So they sat in a small café and ate breakfast till 2pm, chatting about this and that, watching passerbies or simply enjoying the view of each other. Afterwards, they walked through the park and fed pidgeons, listened to a street musician and bathed in the sun there. As some kids entered the park and played tag, Taehyung excitedly joined them and forced Jungkook to participate too. They ran around like little children and playfully fighted a bit occassionaly whenever they got caught. In fact, they had a wonderful day. Until it began to rain heavily out of the blue.

"What´s that?! Do you really have to destroy our perfect moment, you ty old man up there? HUH?! Take your stupid rain with your stupid clouds and your stupid darkness back, we don´t want it! What´s your f***ing problem!!!", Jungkook shouted in rage up to the black sky. As he continued threatening the weather and god, pointlessly waving around with his fist, Taehyung dragged him to his flat, repeatedly apologizing to everybody who crossed their path. At some point he could no longer bear with it. He effectively shut the artist up with a firm kiss. It was only then, that Jungkook realized A) his weird behaviour and B), that they were both soaked thoroughly and he could see and feel everything of Taehyung while they were pressed against each other. That grounded him. Crimson red head hanging low, he apologized.

"Back to your senses again?", the older mocked.

"S-sorry..."

Taehyung lazily waved a hand. "Nevermind. Come in now or do you want to stay outside for the rest of the day?"

They both peeled out of their dripping clothes and went to take a shower together. There, they cleaned one another under a cascade of steaming hot water and for some reason this act was far more intimate than the things they had already done. Taehyung lent him some comfortable clothes before he went to change himself. They strolled over to the living room. Jungkook looked around, scanning every detail. Of course he had been here before as Taehyung had been drunk, but he didn´t need him to know that he had sniffed around. One particular thing piqued his interest. An old CD player layed on a shelf beside the huge TV screen. Eager to see what kind of music his lover listened to, he went and opened the player. To find nothing else but his long-missed self-made CD inside. Taehyung stood behind him, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Care to explain?", the artist asked through gritted teeth. Taehyung had lied him straight in the face for several times. And if he thought about it, it seemed as if Jimin had done the same.

Taehyung motioned him to sit down. Maybe there was a good reason for this, Jungkook tried to convince himself as he hesitantly sat down. I can still get furious after hearing his explanation. So he sat down. And waited.

"Jimin found it as you had shut out the world and kept vegetating, slowly dying. He must´ve been searching for anything to lighten your spirits or at least get through to you or anything like that. He found your CD, listened to it and called me to meet him as fast as possible. Eventually, we met and he gave me the CD while begging me to help you, to save you, as I would be the only one to reach you. First, I didn´t understand. I went with him to visit you and get a picture of the whole situation. You was not reacting to anything we did. We looked up the things on your laptop that might´ve triggered your depression as Jimin said everything had started with you crying infront of your laptop. Where we discovered the documents about me. I was quite mad and shocked aswell. Then I went home and listened to the CD and everything made sense. If it wasn´t for Jimin having found your CD and given it to me", Taehyung closed his explanation, "then you might very well still be caught in the all-consuming darkness or most likely be dead by now. And I wouldn´t be sure about the sincerety of your feelings. Maybe I wouldn´t have realized my own feelings for you."

Jungkook felt still uneasy about the lies the both people dearest to him had told him. Taehyung must´ve seen it as he added: "Besides, you have been sniffing around in my very privacy although I made it more than clear that I don´t want it. Maybe you even spied on me. Now, we both have stuck our noses in the secrets of the other, so let´s call it quits."

Well, Jungkook couldn´t possibly say anything at that. He was everything but lucky about the whole situation, but it somehow indeed was fair. Still, the sting in his chest remained.

"I understand. However, I think I need some time to process it. For now, I will go home and call you tomorrow", the artist stated. "Can I lend me an umbrella of you?"

Without a further word, Taehyung stood up, accompanied him to the door and handed him a big green umbrella. He took the artist´s hand and pressed it whilst drawing circles on his palm as good-bye. Jungkook turned around one last time before heading off. He could see sadness on the other´s face, but no regret.

_____________________________

As he arrived home and saw the lights burning, Jungkook was determined to confront his best friend with the fact that he had lied to him. He wanted to hear his part of the story too. However, what he did certainly not expect was a sobbing and violently shaking Jimin, curled up in a corner. With five big steps, he was by his side and took the smaller one in his arms.

"Sshh, it´s alright now", he whispered.

"How can you say that? You-you don´t even know what´s g-going on", Jimin hickuped and complained weakly.

"Yeah, but now I am here and I say everything is alright now so everything is alright, got it?"

A shaky laugh slipped his friend. "How rude. But you may be right... Who needs a boyfriend and big love if one already has a best friend forever, right?"

Jungkook decided that his question to Jimin about lying could wait until he was over his loss. Maybe he would never ask. For Jimin being his best friend and he still trusted him without a doubt. So who was responsible for Jimin sitting here and weeping?

"Wait, your boyfriend dumped you?!"

Jimin weekly nodded. "Heah, awwandly... wah, bshowwy" (Yeah, apparently... ah, sorry), he noisily blowed his nose, "apparently I am not entertaining enough and he found someone less boring."

Jungkook growled. "How dare he?! Tell me the name of this hoe and I will show him exactly-"

"No, please", his hyung interrupted him and gripped his wrist as he had half gotten up already, hands clenched to fists. With surprisingly firm grip, Jimin stopped him from doing something rash. The artist sighed.

"Okay, okay. I won´t kill that bastard. Have you eaten already, hyung?"

Another headshake.

"I see. Hm, I guess we have some soup in the fridge left...", he trailed off as he went to heat up said soup and prepare dinner. It was a matter of mere minutes, then two plates with steaming chicken soup stood on the table. The dinner was awkward as nobody said a word. Jimin, unwillingly to reveal anything (which reminded Jungkook a lot of a certain someone) and Jungkook unsure to ask about it as he was curious but did not want to put a finger on the open wound.

After they had finished their awkward dinner,he got his hyung to watch one of their favourite comedies together. First, Jimin did not react to the jokes. Only ten minutes later, he laid on the floor, frantically clapping and giggling. It took not long after he had calmed down enough to return to the sofa and he threw himself down again, already teary from the extensive laughter. They had to stop the movie as Jimin complained that he couldn´t move an inch anymore because his whole body hurt from laughing. So Jungkook turned off the TV and carried his friend bridal style to his bed. Making Jimin blush in his arms.

"He never carried me like this."

"What a loosy boyfriend. You deserve better."

"Thank you, Kookie."

And that was that.

___________________________

The next morning, Jungkook had calmed down enough to call Taehyung. But to his surprise, he did not pick up his phone. The artist tried to call him twice more that sunday. Without success. And he felt something was off.

The following week, he tried to call him thrice every day, with no luck. Taehyung didn´t visit him either. On friday, he went to visit him instead. He had to ring the bell of somebody else living in the same building in order to even get inside. As he stood infront of the door to Taehyung´s apartment and rang, knocked, hammered agaist the door and even shouted "Let me in Tae, I know you are inside there!", nothing happened. There wasn´t even the sound of somebody shuffling away from the door or blocking it. Nothing. Something was awfully off.

Jungkook didn´t care what the neighbours might think. He took a run-up and threw himself at the wooden door. It took him two attempts before it gave in.

It appeared the young artist had been wrong as he had said Taehyung was here. He clearly was not. The inside was a mess. Books and clothes were scattered everywhere, some broken plates laid on the floor together with sharp knives and forks, the bed was broken and the pillows ripped, feathers covering the bedroom. But no trace of Taehyung.

Jungkook dropped to his knees.

"No..."

He dialed the number of the police officer who had given him the stick with the documents about Taehyung.

"Yes?"

"Hey, it´s Jeon Jungkook, I need you to help me find somebody as fast as possible. Do you remember Kim Taehyung? You handed me stuff about him earlier. I think he got kidnapped. He didn´t answer the whole week so I went to his place but he is not here and everything is devastated here and, oh my god, what shoud I do?", he babbled. What the hell happened here?!

"Ugh, calm down, will you? In my opinion, you interpreted everything wrong. Actually, I have seen that guy in town yesterday. He was with an other man I´ve never seen before and they were all lovey-dovey. It was really gross, they were literally eating each other´s faces in public", the police man snickered. "So whatever you see there, it is most likely nothing else than the result of their love play, if you know what I mean. And he might´ve not answered you because he is at his lover´s place. So rest assured, your friend is not having been kidnapped. Everything is fine, just give him time for his lover and himself. It´s not as if you two are together. Bye."

Jungkook sat amidst the feathers, dumbfounded. He refused to understand what he just heard. That could not be true. It had to be a misunderstanding. Taehyung would never just act as if he was in love with him - right? There simply was no way it was all played. But... but on the other hand... it had been too nice to be real. Too perfect. And really, why would somebody as gorgeous as Taehyung fall for a little artist? Jungkook snorted. Which piece of art is perfect though? Because maybe that was what Taehyung was. A heartless piece of art with errors. Now as Jungkook did let sink it in and thought about it, he could clearly visualize his Taehyung and the stranger making out here. How the stranger had rammed Taehyung against the bookshelf, causing several books to drop down. How they had gotten rid of their clothes, throwing them in every direction. How the stranger had taken Taehyung so hard against the kitchen counter that plates and flatware were pushed down. How he had pounded into him unless the bed was demolished, how their hands had shredded the pillows as they were at it...

Never known fury rose in Jungkook.

Disgusting.

Betrayal. Traitor. Liar.

He stormed out of the flat, out of the building and ran straight to the hill with the statue of the stone bird. With boiling rage, he kicked and slammed against the statue. The seemingly proof that Taehyung was pure-hearted and had good intentions.

"LIAR!", he screamed again and again. Somewhen he hold the stone beak in his hands and kept slamming it in the bird´s eyes. As he had no strength left, Jungkook slid down the demolished statue, sobbing and still repeating the word 'liar'.

Little did he know how things really were.