Syntax Trees

Don't Kiss Me I'm Scared!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just a week ago, my resolution for the new academic year was to maintain a quiet life, score my As, and possibly hang out more with some of my closer friends. My newfound wish that morning, however, was to avoid the thirteen boys whom I confronted at the party the previous night. It was an impossible mission because some of us were friends who usually hung out anyway. More specifically, Mingyu and Minghao were in my peanut-sized Linguistics major batch, so avoiding them in our shared classes would be too conspicuous. We had been taking the same classes for a year now, and a ten second kiss simply wouldn't warrant ending friendships. 

 

Minghao was already waiting for me by the door of our lecture theatre, and from his wry smile I could tell that being tipsy did not erase his memory about last night. He's usually an angel compared to the rest, and it's really my personal fear that Jeonghan would one day induct him fully to the side of evil. 

 

"You should have told me you guys have been dating! When did you start going out? Summer?" I could barely greet him because his excited chain of questions came at me first. "I mean, the three of us always hang out so I'm a bit hurt about not knowing, but I'm still happy for you guys. But you guys will still have to include me-" 

 

"Stop, Minghao. We are not dating," I said softly, afraid of catching any more attention than Minghao was already garnering with his excitement on a Monday morning. Beyond that, I was greatly amused by the giant leap in logic, and all at once I felt warm again that I had such a cute friend. Minghao was totally the kind to ask about the issue first rather than tease, and that was oddly comforting. I told him how it was a complete accident, and that nothing was happening between us. Nothing had changed, and the three of us were still the goofy Linguistics circle as before. 

 

"That's kind of disappointing. Honestly though, what are the odds that he will kiss you just because he is drunk. I still think it's too much of a coincidence."

 

"I doubt he remembers it." I tried playing it off with my usual coolness, which Minghao readily accepted.

 

The thing about Mingyu was that he's an interesting character. There weren't many boys taking Linguistics as a major, and the fact that both him and Minghao were really good-looking made them extremely popular among the ladies. I would be lying if I said I had hoped nothing was in that kiss, but I knew clearly that this teeny weeny hope was very unlikely. During a number of our study (or chilling) sessions, Mingyu had always told us about how his ideal type of the girl who was kind of dependent on her other half, the kind who was ladylike and demure. "Not like Sooyoon basically." Jeonghan would volunteer that comparison and the guys would all nod and agree vehement

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter