Drift Away Pt.2

Don't Kiss Me I'm Scared!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I ran to the library as soon as I got the message, and indeed there he was, waiting for me to start our promised tutoring session of the day. 

 

"We don't have to do this today. You should rest," I said softly while taking a seat in front of my exhausted friend. Minghao looked like he had spent a sleepless night. His eyes were no longer red or damp, but it was clear he had been crying. 

 

"Finals are soon, there's no time to waste." That was all he said, before he opened his books and started on work with a forced smile. I had no choice but to comply, all the while just staring at him work on chapter after chapter, only looking up when he had a question for me. I could not tear my eyes away from him. The blind drive in him was almost mad. I helped him through three chapters within two hours, which was a lightning speed for revision. 

 

Yet all of a sudden, he stopped his work abruptly as he had started it. It was already past midnight, and the library was empty except for the two of us. Nonetheless, Minghao kept his words to a whisper. I've never really seen a Minghao like this, not for the two years of our friendship. Instead of the person who always lent me a shoulder and gave me the words I needed to face my problems, Minghao looked like he needed those instead. He looked like he was consumed in fatigue, and the words felt like a they were finding the right way to come out, so that they could articulate his thoughts mess of thoughts properly. He let his head rest on his arm that was on the table and stared at nowhere in particular. 

 

"I guess I'm not working hard enough." 

 

It felt my heart wrench a little seeing him in this state. The boy deserved none of this. 

 

"You're wrong." 

 

When he did not reply, I continued on, "You're possibly the most hardworking person I've ever seen.  We all have down days, but don't let one single inconsiderate man make you judge who you are as a person." 

 

There was silence between us again, and a few minutes later it was punctuated by the low heavy breathing of an asleep Minghao. The trace of a tear was visible on his face. I packed his books into a neat pile beside him, before preparing to stay here for the night myself. Yet my phone buzzed then. 

 

Vernon the milk-monster: How's he doing? 

Me: He's asleep now. But not in the best shape. 

Vernon the milk-monster: :(

Vernon the milk-monster: You should go rest too. 

Me: Can't. We're in the library. 

Vernon: Still, get some sleep. 

Me: I will.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter