Secret

Don't Kiss Me I'm Scared!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Vernon, answer me truthfully...are you avoiding me?" I said each syllable so cautiously I must have taken an extra ten seconds for me to ask this simple question. I was never the type of person to hesitate that much. Yet lately, the people around me seemed to have forced a change in me. A change that I was unsure if I welcomed. I looked down at our feet in the sand, kicking mindlessly as I waited for my friend to answer this question that had been weighing on my mind for ages. Yet before he could answer, the unmistakable voice of his friend could be heard approaching us.

 

"Vernon-ah! I was looking for you!" Seungkwan panted as he jogged towards us. The boy looked worried and his forehead was soaked with perspiration. He looked us up and down, scanning us for any injuries. He looked satisfied when he saw that I was mostly unharmed, but he was clearly alarmed and displeased at what happened to his close friend. 

 

"Gosh, have you been to the hospital? We need to patch you up," he said frantically, spinning an amused Vernon on the spot checking for more potential injuries. When he couldn't find any, he turned Vernon to face him, "I heard there was an accident, what happened to you two?" 

 

I felt obliged to explain because the self-blame was gnawing me from the inside. Yet Vernon spoke up first, "we were both sorting things at the aisle when some freshmen just bumped into our stocks. Thank goodness they were only half-filled with products. Don't worry Boo Boo." 

 

Seungkwan seemed to turn from dissatisfaction to anger in an instant when he heard the cause of it all, swearing to hunt down those students to avenge the two of us. The intrusion of Seungkwan robbed me of the answer that I had waited all day, yet it also brought out the thing that both Vernon and I needed the most that day - laughter. Perhaps it was all for the better. A blessing in disguise. 

 

Vernon spun to face me, bending down a little since I was still sitting on the swing. His frown was gone and the twinkle in his eyes were back. The means to it was not what I hoped for, but at least the result was achieved. The awkward Vernon seemed to be gone for now. Seungkwan was slightly insensitive to the atmosphere before, but having him talking and ushering us all the way back to the dorms seemed to make the whole walk a lot better than the thousand of scenarios I've imagined. 

 

When we reached the dorms, Vernon told Seungkwan to head to the guys' floor first. When our chatty friend reluctantly went up the stairs, Vernon turned to me. The sincerity in his eyes were almost overwhelming. It wasn't that Vernon hadn't been a genuine friend. It's just that we had never had to be this serious before, one-to-one. 

 

"Sooyoon. I know it's selfish of me. You have a lot of questions in your head, and I'll answer them soon. But for tonight, just be careful of that bruise and rest well tonight. You had a tough day. Drink milk to heal up." He ruffled my hair just like how Mingyu and Minghao and he always did, something that I suddenly missed with all three of them suddenly so absent over the past few weeks. Gosh, when have I become so dependent. 

 

"You rest well too. You had a tougher day," I managed a careful smile. He nodded, just like how he always did when he understood exactly what I was ranting to him about. He paused for a moment, as if deciding if he wanted to say something. 

 

"I'll text you soon. But for what you asked at the playground tonight: sorry Sooyoon, the answer is yes." 

 

He patted my head before heading up the stairs after his friend, who was clearly waiting for him outside the dormitory door because I could hear Vernon's astonished gasp.

 

I just stood there, unsure whether to feel reassured or uncertain. 

 

***

 

Vernon's idea of soon was, well, more than four days. By then I had returned to work (much to Baekho's protest) and we were back to the magical either-Vernon-or-me-schedule again. Eventually one thing led to another, and Baekho admitted that part of the reason why he thought we were a fighting couple was that Vernon seemed reluctant to be on the same shift as I was, despite his enthusiastic recommendation for the position. I simply nodded. Now that I knew the answer from the horse's mouth, I simply had to trust Vernon enough to wait. 

 

And did I trust my friend? The answer is yes. Waiting , but I trust him. 

 

Hao: First day back at work, are you hurting anywhere?

Me: Nope. 

Hao: Is Vernon back at work too?

Me: I don't think so. 

Hao: ...Still not in the same shift huh. 

Me: We talked a little. We'll talk again soon. 

 

That wasn't a lie. Just that it sounded more optimistic in text. 

 

Hao: That's good. Jun told me today that if you make hard-boiled eggs and roll them over the bruised area, it'll heal better. I've sent the formula to Vernon. You should do it too. 

Me: Hao, that's really sweet but honestly, I'm barely hurt. You know what happened. 

Hao: ...Ya I know. 

Hao: Look Sooyoon-ah, I know this is really terrible of me to ask of you, and it will sound like I am siding with Vernon, but he really seems strange and I'm worried. He wouldn't budge no matter how much I text him. I just hope you'll be understanding and be patient. He'll open up. I'm sure. 

Me: Hao, have more faith in me. The two of you have helped me through too much for me to not even wait a little <3

Hao: <3 

Hao: <3 This is from Qiqi. 

Me: She's staying there with you at Jun's?

Hao: No. But she kept texting me to ask about you. And Soonyoung -.-

Me: WAIT WHAT. W.H.Y.

Hao: My mistake. Showed her a video of him dancing and now she thinks he's some sort of demigod. 

Me: Be careful. He might usurp your status as the most admired male in her life. 

Hao: I think you already did. 

Me: FU** YOU HAO I AM A FEMALE. 

Hao: Yes swearing how feminine. Anyway take care, I got to go help with the chores around the house now. 

Hao: Can't stay here for free. 

Me: Go impress and be superb. Can't wait to see you soon Hao! Just ten more days!

Hao: :D

Me: :D Bye!

 

"You sure you are not attached?" Baekho was appearing out of nowhere ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter