Party

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“You need to return this after two weeks,” Haru said with a slight smile to the first year student, “You can also drop it here, in this box,” She pointed at a huge wooden container. She smiled again as the student nodded.

“What are you doing tonight?” Minzy asked, while organizing the books, “Let’s eat together.”
”Can’t. I’m working. One of the part timers couldn’t make it today, so I’m taking over.”

Minzy made a face and ducked to arrange the books in the lower rack, “Where’s he?” she asked.

“Who?”

“Sehun.”

“Hes’ not coming today. ”

Sehun entered the library swiftly, with hands in his pocket, almost too casually. A few first year girls froze in their place, looking at him both in awe and fear. He does have a reputation of being craziest captain for his short temper.

“Are you sure?” Minzy nudged Haru and signaled her to look up to see Sehun, clad in black jeans and jersey, looking uncomfortable with the attention he receives. His eye catches her, and he smiled briefly. Haru looked at him confusingly and he nodded as if he was asking her to come.

“What are you doing here?” Haru asked, when she approached him. She could feel almost all pair of eyes watching them and she too, felt uncomfortable with it.

“First lets go there.” He said hastily, pointing at the inner area of the library. She followed him, absent mindedly.

“Wait,” she halted suddenly, “Why am I following you?” she asked, almost as a whisper.

“But you did,” he chuckled, “Why are we whispering?” he joked. He then looked around at the area they are in and he was slightly relieved to see less prying eyes. “I think we’re safe.”

“Safe from what?” she growled. “You don’t have to come in today. I finished it all already.”

He let out a frustrated sigh. “I’m not here for the work,” he said, exasperated. “I’m here to,” he paused looking around, “To see the library.”

Haru scoffed, “Fine, have a sight.” she said, gesturing him to walk.

“Can I have a tour?,”

“What?”

“I’ve never been here much.”

“Tour is on the orientation week, and for the first year students. You’re late, like 4 years late.”

He pulled a blank face, “A librarian ignoring her duties,” he circled around her, “I don’t think this is going to take more than 10 minutes.”

“I have duties now,”

“7 minutes.”

Haru sighed in defeat, “5,” she said, looking at him. He smiled and nodded at her.

//

 

“This is the fiction side,” She said, while passing books section. “You can find fantasy stories like Harry Potter, Game of thrones, and Hunger games here,” she paused to see him, “What do you like?”

“Peter Pan,” he said, not paying attention to the books. Instead he fixed his gaze front, his eyes looked calm. “Do you want to come to the party tonight?” He asked. She shrugged her shoulder, “I’m working.”

“Why are you working so hard,?”

Haru ignored the question and continued to walk, “I don’t see you being interested in books, why do you ask me for a tour?” she asked tiredly.

“I just want to talk to you,” he admitted.

“About what?”

“About nothing.”

She looks at him amusingly. He finds her comforting. He likes talking to someone who doesn’t know who he is. And he is not worried that she might use him for any ulterior purposes. Even if she did, he wouldn’t mind.

“Can I ask for a favor?” he asked, taking a seat at the nearby table, “Be my confidant. Listen to me all the time.”

This is dangerous, he thought. He should never seek comfort from anyone. His problems are his burden to bear.

Don’t trust anyone, he recalls his father’s word. He is playing with fire, and he doesn’t care if it burned him.

“What do you take me for? Momo?” She asked, sarcastically. “I have enough problems on my own. Why would I be your personal diary?”

“I can be quite difficult at times and I need someone to hear me out,” he smiled. “Momo?” he asked, his brows furrowed, “What’s Momo?”

She signed him to wait, and she disappeared into the aisle of books. Minutes later, she appeared with a thin book in her hands. 

“This is Momo,” she said handing the book to him. He took it from her hands and stared at it, “Children’s book.” he said, emotionless.

“Read it,” she smiled, “And tell me how it was,”

//

 

“What is he doing?” Baek Hyun asked, his eyes widen in shock. “Am I dreaming now? Chanyeol pinch me.”

Chanyeol pinch his cheeks hard and Baek Hyun yelled in pain. “You are not dreaming.” He said, sitting at the steps. “That’s our captain there.”

Kai joined the conversation, “Reading a book,” He says, “A story book.”

“What? Peter Pan again?” Baek Hyun asked, rubbing his red cheeks, “He’s getting weirder, don’t you think?”

The two of them nodded simultaneously. Kai was the first one to approach him, followed by Baek Hyun, and then Chanyeol.

“What are you doing?” Kai asked, taking the seat beside Sehun. He gave no response to him and continued to read the book.

“What are you reading?” Baek Hyun asked this time, and again Sehun gave no answer. Annoyed, Baek Hyun grabbed the book Sehun was reading and flip through the pages. “Momo?” He asked dumbfoundedly. “What’s that?”

Sehun reached and grabbed the book back, “It’s a story about a girl who listens to people.” He said simply.

“You are coming to the party right?” Chanyeol asked, casually.

“He invited a lot of people?” Sehun asked, and Kai nodded. “I know you don’t like crowds, but be there.” He said. “Try not to look grumpy.”

Baek Hyun offered Sehun his bubble tea but Sehun refused, while scrunching his nose. “It is not hygienic to share drinks.”

Baek Hyun scoffed, “You’re such a freak,”

//

 

“Are you close with him?” Minzy nudged Haru’s arm. “You told me you’re not, but that doesn’t look like it.” They both carry their food trays to the nearest table.

Haru laughed, “He’s just playing around.”

“Well, he’s not someone who plays around.”

Haru carefully placed her drink box from the tray.  Minzy stares at her intently for a few moments and Haru glanced up to see Minzy.

“What?” Haru asked.

“You can try.” Minzy said playfully, “I mean, it’s worth a shot.”

“Nonsense,” Haru chuckled, “I have a liking for another.”

“Kris?” Minzy let out an exasperated sigh, “Honestly you can-”

Haru shakes her head, “Someone else in his team.”

Minzy gaped wide, “Not Kris? Who then?”

“Someone like Kris, someone I can only admire from far?”

“Don’t live like that.” Minzy said, while eating her fries.

“Really do you think we have the luxury of dating boys?”Haru asked, while sipping her cold coffee.

Minzy silently nod, “We don’t.” She admitted. “But who are you talking about?”

“Someone.” Haru giggled. “He looks like a prince from some sort of fairy tale.”

She imagined Lay, his eyes shining like marbles and perfectly alligned teeth when he smiles. And his nicely combed hair.

“That guy who worked with you last year?” Minzy scrunched her nose, “He don’t look like a prince, he looks more like the sleepy dwarf from Snow white.”

“No. Not Kai.” Haru laughed.

They both coincidentally turned to see Krystal walking towards the stall to buy fruits. Her slim figure and flawless complexion is truly enviable.

 “Maybe just to piss Krystal off, why don’t you try Sehun?” Minzy asked, cunningly. “I mean you do have a chance.”

“Why would I do that? Even when he’s nice to me and see me as a friend, there is a thick line of difference between me and him.”

“I don’t think he sees it that way. Maybe you’re thinking too much.”

Haru took in what Minzy said, “I kinda feel for him. His not saying out loud, but I think he’s hurt. He just look,” she paused, “sad.”

“Sad?”

Haru nodded, “ Like he wants someone to talk too. I mean he has a huge group of friends all the time with him, but he got no one to talk to.” Haru said while staring elsewhere, “He even asked me to be his secret confidant,” She blurt out offhandedly.

“Secret confidant,” Minzy repeated, brows furrowed. “Take the offer.” She told.

Haru raised her eyebrows in a questioning look.

“Out of all people, he chose to talk to you, so listen. That’s the only thing you can do.”

//

 

“I don’t like this,” Sehun sulked, “Why does he have invite so many people?”

“He wants to do this, once in a while. Bear with it,” Chanyeol whispered, then turned to put on his big fake smile to the girls.

“Oh Sehun?” A sultry voiced called out his name.

He turned to see Im Yoona, in a beautiful black dress that hung above her knee. “Yoona.” Chanyeol gaped.

She smiled at Chanyeol but turned her gaze back to Sehun, who stood emotionlessly, sipping in his glass of champagne. “It’s been quite long,” she said.

He nodded but gave her no response. Yoona looked at Chanyeol briefly, as if she was asking him to leave them alone.

“I think I need another refill,” Chanyeol said understanding her gesture, “I’ll be back.” Then he leaned to Sehun, and whispers in his ear. “Be nice,” he said before leaving.

“Do you remember the last time we met?” She asked fondly to him. “We were having dinner with our family.”

He nodded again. It was around last year, when both of the families had the dinner together. They talked about the business and their plans to merge through alliance. They wanted a marriage between him and Yoona to secure the acquisition.

“You never contact me?” she asked curiously, “We are about to get-”
”Let’s not talk about the past,” he cuts her off. “Whatever plans our parents decided for us is not gonna happen. So don’t worry,” he assures her.

“You don’t like me?” she asked, as if she was offended.

“Do you like me?” he asked her back, “You don’t even know me, and you’re okay with this whole marriage thing?”

“We are given time to know each other, Sehun. We can learn about each other. We can grow to like each other.”

 

“I have different plans for my future. Listening to my old man would be the last thing I want to do.” he said then looked at her, “Marriage is a life time thing, don’t do it because your parents asked you to. Do it when you want to, and do it with the person you want to spend your life with.”

“Did I interrupt something?” Chanyeol asked, with a glass of champagne. He looked at Yoona, her face beet red, and then to Sehun.

“No.” Sehun said, when he walked past her and snatched the glass from Chanyeol’s hand. “I’m going back home.” He said, sipping until the last ounce of champagne.