Home

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“When a girl tells a guy that she misses him, what does that mean?”

“Who told you that?” Kai asked, his voice teasing. Sehun looked startled. He looked into space, his fingers wiggled.“It’s not about me.”

“Depends on how she says it,” Baek Hyun interrupted. He slumped across Kai and Sehun.“Was she nervous? Did her pupils dilate? Did she stutter?”Baek Hyun asked, curiously.

“I don’t think so.”

“Then, she told that guy with no emotions? Like completely casual?”he asked blankly.

Sehun nodded.

“Isn’t obvious?” He asked, deadpanned, “He fell in to the deep pit of friend zone.”

“Friend zone?” Sehun asked, swallowing hard.

“It’s when a girl gets too comfortable and treats a guy as a friend, and not as a man. They’ll look you like they’re looking at a lamp or a vase.”

Sehun and Kai, both looked confused. Sehun was scrunching his eyebrows and Kai was looking as if he was watching a foreign movie without subtitles.

“It seems that you guys know nothing about girls, so let me shed my wisdom on you. When a girl likes a guy, she’ll be at her best behavior in front of him. She’ll go giddy, nervous and excited. She’ll feel conscious about herself. She won’t say things like this so easily. But when she fools around you, and she looked like she don’t care, it’s probably because she don’t see you as a man. They don’t act like that in front of the guy they like.”Baek Hyun explained. “In short,” He added, pointing his finger to Sehun, “She didn’t see him as a romantic interest.”

 

//

 

Sehun got off from his luxurious Benz, which he parked quite away from the store she mentioned.

He looked himself in the car window and fix his hair one last time, before walking across the street. He was dressed in black jeans and a gray and white dip dye shirt. His hair was gelled and combed sleekly.

He looked at the convenience store and stood right in front of it. He tucked his hand in his jeans pocket, and he was turning his head left and right, looking for her. He checked his watch, and realized he was 15 minutes early. It was drizzling lightly, and he was worried she may arrive amidst of rain. 

"Sehun!”

He turned around to the familiar voice, and saw Haru in the convenience store. He smiled at first, then shot her a puzzled look. “What are you doing here?” he asked, after noticing her yellow uniform shirt.

“I work here. You’re early.” she said, nonchalantly. “Come in.” She gestured him. Still perplexed, he followed her inside the store obediently.

“I still have 10 minutes under my clock, so look around” she said. He nodded.

Sehun start looking around the store. He stopped at each aisle for a few minutes, observing at a few items intently. He looked genuinely surprised at the things in the store.

“Is this your first time here?” she asked, scrunching your eyebrows, “Never been to a convenience store before?”

He went blank for a moment. “Of course I’ve been into one.” He mumbled.

He noticed Haru greeting every customer cheerfully. Sehun stood a careful distance away from them. He glanced the customers once or twice, studying them. They looked almost familiar with the store and the location of the things. But there he was, looked clearly lost.

A few minutes later, a girl, who was wearing an exact same yellow colored shirt entered the store. Haru and that girl exchanged greetings and she took over Haru’s spot.

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” Haru apologized and then pointed him to the chair at the corner where she and Tao sat a few days ago.

“You work here?” Sehun asked, dumbfounded, as he sits down the chair, looking at her.

She nodded wordlessly and took 2 ramen cups and turned to him, “Is this flavor okay? Or do you want the other?”she asked.

“It’s fine.” he wagged.

Haru then took the cups and went to the hot water dispenser and prepared the ramen.

He just looked at her, when she casually took the seat next to him. She took the chopsticks, and roll them into her palms and looked at him, “Not going to eat?” she asked. “The noodle will get soggy if you don’t eat quick.”

He nodded once again and repeated her action; taking the chopstick, rolling them into his palms and started to blow the hot noodles as he lift them.

“So you are here everyday?”

“No. Only on weekdays.”

“Why?”

“Money?” she asked, raising her brow, “Is the monthly allowance enough for you?” She slurped on her noodles, “By the way, are you on student loan?”

“Yes.” he falter. “I’m on loans.”he lied.

“We don’t have much after we paid the tuition, do we?"

He nodded silently, and slurped on the noodles. “This is really good,” he mumbled amid of eating.

She chuckled lightly, “Right? The rich kids won’t even know the taste of this.”

“Maybe.”

“Don’t you want to live like them sometimes?”

He kept silent for a while,“Do you want to live like that?” he asked, gauging for her response.

“Yes,” she answered immediately, “I think money is important, after all, you need that to survive in this world. But money is not everything.”

“What is?”he asked, looking interestingly at her.

“It’s for you to decide.” she said, “Everyone has something they value more than money.”

He smiled looking at her, “I’m sorry,” He said suddenly, “I was a douche to you, wasn’t I?”

She turned to look at him and nodded, “A little.” She laughed. “But I think I was rude to you too, so we’re even.”

“You say things to my face,” He paused, “And for some strange reason, I kinda like it.” he admitted. “And you are a bit like Momo.”

”So you did read the book!”she exclaimed. “I thought you didn’t.”

“I did.”

She smiled and slurped on her noodles, looking at the window.

“You saw Kris?” he asked casually.

“Hmm,”

“You talk to him?”

“No,”

“ Is it because of Lay?” he asked, smiling, “You really are a player.”

She beamed, “Enough about teasing me. But you guys were impressive against Parish.”

Sehun touched the back of his neck, “Tao.” he started. “Are you close with him?”he asked, trying not to sound controlling.

“He came here a few times,” She said, “We met coincidentally once, but he totally was messing with me the other times.”

Sehun frowned, “He knows you work here?” he asked. “You sound like you’re fond of him,” he said, in an odd tone of his voice.

“He’s a nice guy.”
”You met him a few times, and suddenly he’s nice.” Sehun mocked. “He tried to defeat me. And our college.”

“I like people who takes effort, even if they are not good at it.”

Sehun scoffed, “You are fond of him” he said disapprovingly.

She laughed, “Does it matter? He doesn’t see me as a girl, he sees me more like a bubble wrap. Something to de-stress him.”she said, imitating as if she was popping the bubbles.

“What a joke, you look like a girl to me, no matter how I see you.”

“But you did call me ugly, when we met the first time.”she attacked. “Remember?”

He chocked on his noodle and stared at her in guilt, “You still remember that?” he asked slowly.

“I don’t have the talent of forgetting.” she said, “But I did call you names too.”

“Like what?”

“Let me see, I called you a bum once, an and a jerk a few times. I even told Minzy that you’re full of .” She cackled.

 

He broke into a loud laugh, it was only a few times Haru saw him like this; being happy and completely letting down his guard.

“Baek is right.” he said, laughing. “Talking to you changes my mood.”

Someone knocked the window suddenly and Haru let out a small shriek. “That scared me! Tao!” she howled.

Sehun turned sour immediately and he barely glanced at him. He clenched his jaw hard, “Why is he here?” he asked quietly, but undoubtedly pissed.

“Don’t be rude to him.” she said, softly, then turned to face Tao as he walked in the store. “Hi,” she greeted him.

Tao flashed a smile to her, but his grim eyes were on Sehun. “Fancy meeting you here.” he said, darkly.

 

**

 

“This is awkward,” Tao mocked, “Never in a million years, I thought I’ll be eating dinner with you.”

“In case if you haven’t notice, you weren’t invited.”Sehun snapped. “This is awkward.”

Tao glared at Sehun, “You’re cocky.”

“Took you long enough.”

“Okay.” Haru interrupted, “This is where I work, I appreciate if you don’t end up fighting here.” 

The three of them were in the store, and clearly the tension hasn’t reduced one bit between the two guys.

Haru wanted to help the other girl since the customers were unusually coming in, “I’ll be back. She’s new, she might need help.” She said, walking towards the counter. There was a momentary pause and she turned to look at Sehun. He looked back and nodded as if he understands her.

“Are you very attached to her?” Tao asked, after Haru walked away. “It seems to me that you are.”

It took Sehun a moment to understand what he meant. It doesn’t seem to bother him, but he was rather amused.

“I can ask you the same thing,” Sehun chuckled. “You are here to see her too.”

“I know why I am here. But do you?” Tao’s lips twitched, and he almost laughed, but his eyes were fixed on Sehun.

“I don't think she knows who you are, which means, you’re hiding your identity, you came to see her, and you eat ramen in a convenience store like a mere commoner.” Tao said, laying the information piece by piece, stressing on the commoner as if it was a offensive word. “Do you still remember what I asked you during the match?” he asked.

Sehun looked at him, his both eyebrows drew together.

“I asked for your weakness.” Tao voluntarily answered, then his face turned to the side, “I think I just figure it out.”He smirked.

**

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” She asked worriedly, “Be careful. It’s raining heavily.”

Sehun chuckled, “I should be saying that to you. How are you going home?”

She took her umbrella out for her small bag, “I’m prepared for this,” She said. “You want me to accompany you to the bus stop?” she asked, opening her umbrella.

He shakes his head, “You should go.”

She nodded slightly and went to the other direction, but stopped after a few steps and turned back. “Do you want to come with me?” She asked. “My home is right there, and you can wait until the rain stops. If you want.” She offered.

“You’re inviting me to your home?” he asked, his eyes flickering.

“I guess so.”She replied back, confusingly.

She walked towards him and lifted her umbrella highly, to fit him under it, “Let’s go.” she said.

 

 **

He stood in front of her apartment. It looked weary and old. The color faded and he assumed it was build at least 15 years ago. He was fascinated to know there are still people living in places like that.

“You live here?” he asked, unbelievingly. His mouth were gaped slightly looking at the building.

“Yes, this is the cheapest and the nearest to college and my work place.” She answered, not noticing the tone in his voice. “Come in, the lifts don’t work and we need to take the stairs. Luckily, I live on the third floor.” She smiled.

She led the way first, with Sehun following her. He was still amazed with the apartment. It was more like a dorm. He walked slowly, because he thought stomping on the old floor, might trample the entire building. There was a total of 6 floors in the building, and most of the occupants there were old couples.

Haru stopped and inserted her key in to the door hole. “Welcome.” She said, smiling at him. He entered her unit, his eyes widening. Her entire house was probably the size of his closet.

There were a small kitchen on his left, and a table with chairs on his right. Right next to the kitchen, it was her bed, and then there was a small television with three large Japanese cushion on the floor. The entire “home” of hers, was not even 300 square feet big.

He was supposed to feel suffocated in that tiny space. He should feel entrapped. But instead he felt it was cozy and lively, it looked more like a home if compared to the gigantic mansion of his. In her space, everything is simple and is within reach.

He smiled widely, and went to her bed. It was positioned that the headboard was directly below a large window, where the moonlight will cast and hit on her face when she sleeps.

He grinned as he lays on her bed, and her two kittens joined him. He took both of them to his chest. “This is really nice.”he mumbled, as he pats them.

Haru opens to say something, but shuts it, and opens it again.

 

How dare he? She thought. He looked so comfortable and harmless in her space, as if it belonged to him. She says nothing, but looked at him, a small delicate smile begin to form at her lips.