Apology

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“Do you think I overstep my boundaries,?” Haru asked Minzy.

Haru was mopping the floor of the coffee shop, while Minzy was wiping the glass of the display section. It was near closing time and there were only the two girls in the shop, cleaning after all the customers.

“I don’t know, I mean why would he share something sensitive to you if he doesn’t want to hear your opinions?”

Haru signed and began mopping beneath the tables, “He’s a strange person, you know. Its hard to understand him.”

”More like you then,” Minzy chuckled. “I still remember the first time I met you. You didn’t talk to me for a week!”

“I was awkward!” Haru defended, “I’m always awkward when it comes to making friends. I’m not quite good at it.”

“If you’re think you’ve offended him, just ask him and apologize.” Minzy suggested, “Meet him tomorrow morning in the court, he’ll be there.”

”How do you know?”

“Months of stalking.” Minzy laughed.

//

 

Haru stepped in the court, after a long time. It still remained unchanged. The tiles, the curtains, the benches. It reminded her of the time she spend last year, cheering for Kris. They way he looked after scoring a goal. The way he celebrated his win with his teammates. She sat down at on of the benches, touching the surface and completely unaware of her surroundings.

“What are you doing here?” a deep voice asked. She lifted her head up to see Sehun, clad in sweat, with a basketball under his arm behind the sideline.

“I came to see you.” Haru answered. Sehun looked like he was clenching his jaw and he looked pissed.

“What for?” he asked, annoyed.

“Look, yesterday-”
”Stop right there,” he cuts her, “Just because I told you I enjoyed your company that doesn’t make us friends,” he said, rather rudely. “That was not my intention and I can never be friends with you.” He walked towards the sideline, “You have no rights to comment on my personal matters. You are nothing to me and its annoying to see you around me all the time.” he continued.

There was a moment of silence between the two and neither of them did anything to break the quietness.

“Is that so? I guess I’m mistaken then.” Haru answered, her tone flat and emotionless. She flashed a brief smile before turning around, stomping on the stairs as she exits.

Sehun felt a twinge of pain and regret. He watched as she made a move towards the door, until the she disappears from sight. He wanted to stop her but his feet felt heavy as lead. He throws the ball and it bounces of a couple of times, and that was the only sound heard in the court.

Haru looked furious when she stepped out of the court.

“How dare he? I wanted to apologize! I should never felt pity for him in the first place,” she mumbled angrily to herself.

She was walking hastily to her class when she bumped into Krystal, who looks like she was on her way to the court.

“You’re coming out of the court,” she said, then eyed Haru suspiciously, “Why?” she asked.

Haru glared at her and stepped an inch closer, “You should really reevaluate your taste in men.” she said, “He is no good for you.”

With that, she stomped past Krystal not even bothering to see the reaction she gets from her.

//

 

“You upset about something?” Chanyeol asked, taking the spot beside Sehun. It was break time, and the boys were munching on sandwich.

“No.” Sehun replied, taking a bite.

“You look zoned out,”

“Something bothers me.” Sehun admitted. He doesn’t want to tell to Chanyeol or to anyone about Haru because he know they’ll make fun of him. They’ll think that he likes her. Sehun didn’t think he likes her or sees her as a woman, but he likes to be around her. He felt natural when he’s with her. He didn’t have to put up a fake mask and pretend he’s someone else. With her, it was always him and he liked it.

“Well if it bothers you, maybe you should do something about it.” Chanyeol advised. “If it bothers you to the extend that it makes you upset, it must be something important to you.”

Sehun looked at Chanyeol seriously. A smirk formed at Chanyeol’s face, “Did I sound cool just now? I totally did, right?” he asked.

Sehun laughed as he take another bite of his sandwich.

“Appreciate me, don’t be like that Satan Soo.” Chanyeol pointed at Kyungsoo, who seemed oblivious that Chanyeol is talking about him.

//

Kai was walking down the way when he stopped to greet Haru was on her way to the lab.

“Hi!” he greeted cheerfully.

He was Haru’s lab partner last year. He was always missing in the lab, but he was dutiful enough to do his part in the reports. Haru found him to be odd, at first, but then she got a hang of him eventually.

“Hi,” Haru greeted him back. “Practicing?” she asked after seeing him in a jersey.

He nodded and smiled back, “I have 10 minutes, wanna grab something to eat?”
”Sure,”

They stopped by the vending machine, and bought some sandwiches. He briefly looked at Haru to punch in her selection.

“You know, I can buy my own sandwich,” Haru complained as she sat down the small stairs near to the lab.

“Don’t complain,” he laughed, “It’s been a while since I met you.” He said, fondly. “How’s things with Sehun?”

“Good.” Haru lied, instantly. Kai looked at her, as if he was waiting for a honest answer. “Not good, actually.” Haru paused, “He’s a bum.”

Kai smiled before staring at the boards in front of them. He looked like his mind were wandering off to else where. “He’s nice, really, if you know him.”

“Don’t joke.” Haru cuts him off, “You’re his friend, of course he’s nice to you.”

“He wasn’t, at first,” Kai said, “He’s a very defensive person. He’s got huge walls around him and he gets very prickly if someone gets to close to him.” Kai laughed as if he remembered something, “He has this huge expectation from people. Including his family. And it is very pressuring to behave in a way people expect you to be. He constantly struggles to meet those expectations and to prove himself.”

Kai turned at looked at Haru, “We all have a way of retaliating, to tell people to back off when necessary, I act ignorant, and you never tell anyone about yourself, and for him,” he halted, “He gets defensive and angry. Its just the way he is.”

Haru didn’t really understand the situation, but she knew that Kai cared deeply for Sehun for some reason.

“He’s got family issues?” Haru asked silently. “What kinda issues?”

“It’s not my story to tell.” Kai smiled, “I’m not asking you to forgive him, just asking to understand him, that’s all.”

“It’s really envious,” Haru admitted, “To have friends that understand you even when you act like a jerk.” She smiled. “I even got a warning from Krystal regarding him.” She said casually.

Kai widen his eyes and acted alert, “Wha. What did she say?” he stammered. He looked like he was anticipating her answer. Haru looked at him suspiciously, “Why are you acting all giddy?” she asked. Kai shrugged his shoulder, and said it was nothing but Haru wasn’t buying any of it.

“You like her?” she finally asked. He didn’t say anything for a few seconds, and Haru burst out laughing.

“This is such a twist,” she said, poking him at his side. “You like Krystal.”

Kai shooed her and looked around to see anyone eavesdropping the conversation. “Does anyone know this?” she asked. He shakes his head sideways.

”Aren’t you like suppose to get jealous or something, with Sehun, because you know, she’s always hanging around him?” She asked, curiously. He cocked his head slightly, “A little.”

//

 

It was almost 2pm when the lab session ends. Haru took the keys from Minzy and walked towards the library. She signed to herself and counted the days until this end year tasks end.

Just two more days, she convinced herself.

She took the keys out of her pocket and stopped abruptly when she saw Sehun standing in front of the library, waiting. She glanced at him, but he was looking down with his earphones on his ear. He looked like he’s been there for quite a while.

She approached closer to the door and inserted the key into the hole, opening it. She then entered the library and start switching on the lights and fans. He entered quietly, stealing glances at her. He then sat down at the usual spot, with both his hands on the table.

Haru switched on the computer on the counter and ducked to pick up the box that has the remaining documents. She carried the box to the table and placed it in front of him. She then took the documents from the box and divides it equally to two parts. She pushed a part of it to him and and carried the remaining part with her to the counter.

Sehun froze in his seat as he watches her walking away without saying anything. He turned his head around and saw her correcting the papers. He pushed his chair behind and walked towards the counter.

“Are you angry?” He asked, slowly. He was looking at Haru, but she showed no response. Her eyes were on the paper and she was busy editing it.

“Are you really angry?” he asked again. She lifted her head up and saw him plainly.

“Why are you being so polite?” she asked sarcastically. “Just talk to me like how you did this morning.”

Sehun said nothing and he tapped his fingers on the counter, “Don’t you want to do this together?” he asked, pointing at the stack of papers.

“Why? You said you’re annoyed to been seen with me. Why even bother? Do it yourself.” She fired. “What do you take me for? To talk to you when you’re bored and to shut my mouth when you’re angry? You said it yourself, we are not friends. Just because you’re angry it doesn’t give you rights to yell at peopl-”

“I’m sorry.” He interrupted suddenly. “I’m sorry I was behaving like a total to you this morning. I’m really sorry.” He said genuinely. Haru was puzzled at his sudden apology.

“Inferiority complex. I have that, a lot.” He chuckled. “I just get really paranoid when people talk about my personal matters.” he said softly. “I’m sensitive when someone talks about my ed up family, I don’t feel comfortable talking about it. And I don’t like people sympathizing on me too. The Sehun you see, is actually fragments of what people expect and want me to be; cool, and perfect. In real, I’m not even close to who I portray.”

Haru was baffled at his sudden confession. It felt really strange when someone who seemed to have a perfect life, just crumbles in front of you. It shows that everyone gets hurt too. Almost no one is evil, but everyone is broken in some way. The avowal of himself made him look human, she thought.

“Go to your place. I’ll buy coffee,” she said sheepishly. He lift his head up. His long eyelash batted several times, and the corner of his lips curve upwards to reveal a boyish smile.

Was his eyelash always been this long? She asked herself inwardly.

“We cannot drink here.” he baited playfully.

“I’ll let you off. Just for today.”