Lay

Mr. Not-so-perfect

She woke up that morning feeling extremely exhausted from her date with Sehun yesterday. This time, they went to see the aquarium in Lotte World. It was something they planned before she moved into the new house and finally they got the chance to go together. It still amazes her on how Sehun gets really excited about small things.

Her phone beeped on the nightstand and she stretched her body to reach it. Her face turns sour to see the email notification again from Zeus. Lazily, she sighed and swiped her screen lock to read the mail.

 

Dear Kim Haru,

After careful re-consideration and much thought, we are pleased to inform you that your nanotechnologist application seems like a good fit for the betterment of our company.

Congratulations and we hope to see you servicing for our company. Please reply to this email within 3 days. If we didn’t hear from you within the given period, we will assume that you’re not taking up this offer.

Best wishes,

HR director of the Zeus Employee selection team.

 

Haru’s eyes snapped open. She opened the previous mail that she ignored several days ago and it was also to inform that she successfully secured the position.

She covered while squealing in delight. She reads the mail once again, closely inspecting all the words as if she couldn’t believe what was happening. She pulled herself out of bed, excited by the mail to call Sehun and to tell him everything.

//

She'd always made friends very easily. Strangers became acquaintances became friends, and a small amount would became best friends. She went to the unit below hers, ringing his door bell and knocking at the same time. Seconds later, Luhan opened the door with a seemingly surprised look on his face. He looked like he just woke up. His hairs were disheveled, and his eyes looked swollen, “What?” he asked, slightly annoyed.

“I made pasta,” she beamed. “Do you want some?”

He sighed nasally but allowed her to enter his apartment. His unit looks smaller than hers, she noticed. And there is a lack of furniture and most of his belongings were kept in big boxes. The scent of lavender was overpowering.

The house was littered, in a way that made it somehow look nice, with pretty odd stuff.

“Might not look as fancy as yours,” he said, breaking her reverie. She turned and smiled at him. He took the bowl from her hand, and walked towards the kitchen.

“Do you mind if I take a look?” Haru asked, wanting to explore his unit.

He nodded, “But don’t touch anything,” he said, not looking at her. She walked slowly around his place, humming softly. Such an old soul, she thought. He kept wooden toys, a typewriter and horrifyingly outdated music discs. She noticed a bunch of papers on his desk beside the typewriter, and she moved towards it in curiosity. “What’s this?” she asked.

He looked up to see what it was, and a tiny smile formed on his face. “My hobby,” he explained simply. “I write stories,” he said, as he walked towards the living room and slumped onto his sofa, “I tried sending it to the national competition, but I was rejected,” he sipped into his tea, “They said it was complicated,” He looked at her, and smirked, “Try reading it, and let’s see if you can understand.” He challenged.

She laughed at him, and brought her eyes back to the papers. “Scorching bird,” she read the title. She read the first paragraph on the page.

 

Life can only be found in the scorching fire.

The meal is inside.

The bird and it's friends voluntarily flies into the hot oven.

Seeking food in order to survive.

 

 

“Is he the one?” Luhan asked, interrupting her concentration, “The one who looks like me?”

“What?”

“You said I reminded you of someone, is he the one? The guy who came a few days ago?” He asked. She smiled and nodded.

“Oh Sehun,” Luhan smirked, “Your boyfriend?”

Haru shrugged and turned her back on him to read the story. When he saw Sehun the other day, a strange sense of familiarity oozes out from him. Luhan went back and dig one of his big boxes where he kept his things, and found a piece of photo that dated a few years ago. He picked the photo up and it pictured a young boy, probably only 10 years old, stepping out from his huge car. He had the exact same features; tall, lean, thick black hair and a pair or dark eyebrows. That young boy is the heir to one of the biggest companies in the nation, before he disappeared from the sights of media. No words or news about him were released since then.

Luhan who grew up amidst poverty has a strange habit of keeping close tabs of the fortunate wealthy kids. He knew exactly who Sehun was.

He smiled mockingly, recalling when she said this place was cheap in the first place. She was riding on her boyfriend’s wealth. He scoffed; life must be easy for kids like her. All she needs to do is to snap her finger and her rich boyfriend will do the rest.

Pathetic.

 

 

It realizes it entered without a choice.

No doubt, it would be happier roasted quickly in the oven, rather than a slow roasting process,

But the bird wanted to flew,

So it did,

Abandoning the rest of the flock,

Leaving them to be killed, the bird chooses to suppress its emotions,

And now it carries their scars.

 

Haru glanced up, her brows furrowed, realizing the story was about him. She recalled their past conversation.

“You’re the bird,” she murmured, “Aren’t you?”

She glanced over at Luhan, who was back to watching her. The air between them turned thick and it was uncomfortable.

He glanced down at himself, and then at her, and grimaced.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t -,” She took a half-step back, putting the papers back on his table.

“You,” he breathed, a little frustrated. “You should probably go.”

He looked almost-- was it vulnerable? Was that the word she was thinking of? Perhaps plaintive. Unsure. Or a cocktail of all of those things.

Falling silent, Haru frowned, her mind churning.

“Leave.” he said, grimly, but he looked more resigned.

 

//

Today is the day.

Her head buzzed with the thought seeing Lay. If the night ahead went anything like she hoped, it wouldn't be that much longer before she got her wish of getting back to her apartment, unembarrassed.

She went to her closet, throwing the doors wide as she stared at her meager selection of clothing. She dressed carefully, given her limited choices in apparel. She wanted to wear a proper dress, but instead opted for a soft sweater and a pair of nice jeans and slip-on flats. If she didn't wear a skirt, she wouldn't have to worry constantly about how she was sitting the entire evening.

Everything has changed. Stranger things had happened. She remembered how excited she was when it comes to Lay. Now, all she wants to do is to avoid him. It took three months for her to let herself be loved again. This time it was sweet, soft and slow. She smiled a lot more. She learned how to date, how to relax, how to hold hands walking down the sidewalk.

She wanted to see Sehun, and maybe start the beginnings of something with him while she had the chance. She couldn't have imagined someone so terrifying and yet so wonderful at the very same time. She noticed how much he changed in the course of few months. He came across as an unapologetic jerk, but now he seems more open and honest.

Everything about him seems cooler now. Or maybe she is just losing her mind over him. She doesn’t really know.

Sehun arrived precisely on time. He hits the door bell, and she took a deep breath before welcoming him inside. Her mind raced as butterflies fluttered in her belly. She wondered just how much of her attraction to him scares her, wanting a man she knew he deserved better, someone who'd tended to her while she lay helpless, who'd seen her at her very worst, but still seemed to care so much about her. She found herself looking forward to these little slices of his company, the playful banter between them.

She opened the door and he looked up, and a smile transformed his features. He was achingly handsome. His hair was always meticulously neat, his black eyes were intense and piercing below dark, thick brows, and his tall, lean figure always loom over her.

"Hi." He spoke first to break the silence.

//

They arrived at a penthouse. The house had felt almost too large. She gaped looking at it. She never thought Kyung Soo was this rich to own such a place.

“Hey look,” Sehun said, pointing the sky. She lifted her head to look at the stars. They were shining crisply in the night sky.

“When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true,” he smiled. Eyebrows raised, she turned her head to look up at him.

“Make a wish,”

She smiled and shook her head. Sehun stared at her, squinting a bit.

“Lately, I’m getting everything I want so easily. It’s now almost scary to make a wish.” She admitted. His eyes flickered up to hers, looking slightly troubled. They glittered in the dimness, and there was something, some indefinable emotion in them. Seconds later, he forged a smile, taking her hand in his, and walked towards the house.

//

“Those look like wedding bands,” Baekhyun said displeasingly looking at the ring on Sehun’s finger. You’re doing all the stupid things now,” he scoffed, “What’s next? Matching outfits? Tattooing each other's name?”

“You know, that's a great idea,” Sehun giggled and sat next to Chanyeol. He took his wallet out and showed the boys the sticker picture he kept inside it.

“This one’s pretty cute,” Chanyeol commented on one of  photos. The boys flocked around to take a look at the pictures.

“Honestly I don’t get you as a couple,” Baekhyun sneered, pouring himself a drink. “I can't believe you ditch Yoona  for her.”

He pulled himself a glass of whiskey and chunk it. The harsh taste of the liquor burned his throat. “Love. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.”

Sehun chuckled drunkenly, “Do you know the feeling of being in love? Everything's intensifies. The world, everything just changes. Immediately. You notice things that were always there and it boggles your mind to think how did you ever missed them before. How could we miss things that are so beautiful?”

“Oh my god, we get it. You’re in love,” Kai laughed, slapping Sehun’s shoulder. “You're laughing more often now. Guess that’s a good sign. That’s all what matters. You being happy,”

Baekhyun glared at Kai then turned to Sehun, “We are human beings, thinking love can heal us. But we are broken. The things we love destroys us every single time. Why fall for it?”

There was a moment of silence in the living room and everyone’s eyes darted between Baekhyun and Sehun. Seconds later, Sehun stood up, walking towards the window, catching the glimpse of the night sky, “Loneliness Baek. The thing that makes me and you run away. I know how it feels like. I’ve been there. Feeling empty inside, having no one to understand you. It’s a terrible thing,”

“You think she’s going to stay with you after knowing who you are?” Baekhyun shoots back. Then, slowly a maniac smile curved on his face, “You haven’t told her yet, have you?”

Sehun swallowed, feeling the bile on his throat. The entire mess was like a bomb waiting to go off, the only question was how much damage it would deal when it detonated.

“You didn’t tell her because you're scared she’ll never forgive you,” he smiled knowingly, “I mean, if you look from her view, everything around her doesn't really belong to her. The job. The house. The scholarship. None of them. Must be devastating if she know the truth.”

Sehun lifted his stormy eyes, looking guilty stricken. He knew how serious she is about her dream and what they mean to her. He had several opportunities to break it to her, but he couldn't do it. Baekhyun was right, Sehun is scared that she’ll never forgive him.

“That’s the problem with best friends. Sometimes, they know you better than yourself,”

“I’m sure, she’ll understand,” Chanyeol intervened, looking at Sehun, trying to release the tension surrounding them.

“Will she? Don’t underestimate the pain of betrayal and the power of lies, Chanyeol. Sometimes, they can push a person to the brink of madness.” Baekhyun tapped his fingers on the lacquered table, “Personally I don’t see a fairy tale ending for both of you. All I see is she living in her own world and you living in yours. The worst thing for Kim Haru is, no offence, but, you, Sehun. I think you know that too.” He smiled at him as if he won, “But I’m sure everything will be fine.” He offered a fake comfort after pouring the fuel to the fire.

Baekhyun got up, ignoring the stares he received from the boys, “I need some air,” he said, walking towards the door.

 

//

Haru wanted Sehun to spend time with his friends instead of being with her. She persuaded him to have some fun and to join the rest and she promised to keep herself entertained. She was walking around the garden when she saw Lay sitting nearby the pool rail alone, his legs submerged in the water. She wanted to walk away, but she was curious about what he’s up to, since he’s isolating himself from his friend's party.

She inched closer to him, and he didn’t seem to notice; his eyes were on the water but his mind were somewhere else.

“Hi.”

He quickly turned to face her, his eyes look gloomy. He nodded slightly, acknowledging her. The usual cheerful smile on his face were absent.

“Do you mind if I sit? Or do you want to be alone?” She asked him.

“I hate to be alone at times like this,” he said doleful. She sat down beside him quietly, sensing his unusual character.

“How’s things between you and Sehun?”

Her eyes stirred as she watched him. There was sadness in his eyes at first, but then the happy, cheerful  mask she was so used to seeing slid into place. Only this time he was faking it. Haru bit her tongue to stop herself from asking what was wrong with him. He wasn’t her concern anymore; she just needed to keep reminding herself that.

“Is something wrong?” she finally asked him softly.

He turned away from her keeping his stare back to the water. It was minutes before he'd finally speak, “I disappointed my father again.” He said sadly, “I failed at leadership training. I thought things would get better after I graduated. But nothing changed,” He dunk his head low, “Every family has someone who falls, someone who doesn’t make the grade, whose life trips up. Maybe I’m the faller in my family.”

His voice was cold, unfeeling, and if she hadn't been watching him, she'd have thought him completely unaffected. But his face was pained. She opened to say something but she couldn't think, let alone to form a sentence. Baekhyun who wandered around aimlessly came across these two by the pool. “What’s this girl doing here with Lay?” He asked himself before stepping close to them. He didn’t mean to sneak and to eavesdrop, but that’s what he did.

“I always wished my parents see me as a person,” Lay’s voice cracked like a whip, “I always wished that they understand that I make mistakes, that I do have some opinions, some bad days, and feelings. I wanted them to trust me. Even if the rest of the world says I’m worthless, I want them to say, ‘My son hasn’t had a chance, he does what he says he’s going to do, he just hasn’t found what he wants to do in life, but he can do it if he puts his heart to it. He just need more time,” ; but they never did. I’m just not enough,”

He met her gaze unflinchingly, his glassy iron black eyes softening slightly.

She pushed herself upright, clutching her fists tightly, “You are not worthless, you just don’t have the right chance, and you’ll do amazing if you put your heart to it. I trust you.” She said lowly, “You don’t see the good things people say about you because you are too focused on the negative ones. In case no one tells this, I’m telling you right now. You are enough. You are more than enough. Maybe you forgot that because you’re surrounded by people who make you feel like you don’t, but you matter and  you are important and as long as you know that, nothing else matters.”

Baekhyun’s lips thinned, listening to the conversation. He didn't like Haru, but those words she said where the right words Lay needed to hear at this moment.

Lay’s mouth went a little dry, wondering that anything she said is true. He looked up at her, and she was smiling comfortingly at him.

She was beautiful, and sweet, and he noticed. He laughed a little harder, and when it died down, the bout of amusement left his black eyes sparkling as he regarded her, the smile softening with fondness, “You’ve changed, Haru,” he said, “Everything about you has changed. You’re more confident and charming now,”

As he spoke, the truth of the words struck her, and she couldn’t help but to think Sehun played a huge role in the difference in her. She smiled inwardly thinking about it.

Lay looked conflicted, torn between wistfulness and regret, “Sehun noticed it long before I did, didn't he?,”