Escape

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“Oh my god, Zeus took over the Choi company,” Haru gaped, “This is the second time this year,” She put down her phone on the table, “The CEO is a leech, seriously.”

“Don’t you know, the one with the most money is the stingiest.” Minzy said sipping in her cold tea, “They don’t even let go of a penny for free.”

 

“What's so nice about being rich ?" Anyone can get rich in any way, but who wants to look like the people who've sold their soul for money's sake ?” Haru curled her lip in disdain. “These people are out of their mind. Stripping a person from his home and company, how can they sleep at night?”

 

“The world works that way, the slow ones are left behind. The small ones are eaten. It’s a cruel place.” Minzy scorned. “But Choi family is-”

 

“Choi Minho sunbae’s family.” Haru added in forlorn.

 

“He’s a nice person. Despite his popularity, he talks to all of us.” Minzy recalled a moment later. “I wonder what’s going to happen to him.”

 

Haru recollected her first memory of him; he was the one asked her to join the librarian club. He was very polite and friendly towards her. He was one of Kris’s best friend.

 

“Do you think this Zeus company got an heir?” Minzy asked, diverting Haru from her flashback. “Like a son, probably?”

“Maybe,” Haru replied, “I bet he’s a spoil rich brat. Probably living in oversea.” she said, without an interest. “Might be a biggest womanizer.”

“Still, imagine dating someone like that.” Minzy drooled, “You’re settled for life.”

//

 

“I can’t do this without reference,” Baek Hyun whined. He locked his phone and push it away from him, “Aren’t we suppose to get exemption from this assignment and stuff? I mean, we have competition this week?”

 

Kyung Soo sighed long, “We are only playing basketball for the college, not saving our country. Don’t abuse your privilege.”

“I still don’t understand the need for assignment, this is not even covered in exam.” he sulked.

 They both looked at the assignment paper. Baek Hyun’s face was blank. Kyung Soo looked up. “We’re hopeless.” he said coolly, tapping his fingers on the paper. “Let’s go to the library to look up on some books.”

 

Baek Hyun stared at Kyung Soo with amazement, “What did you say?” he stammered. “The only place I don’t like in this building is the library. It puts me into sleep within 5 minutes.”

“Let’s go.” Kyung Soo said, ignoring Baek Hyun.

 

**

“We still can go back,” Baek Hyun persuaded, but Kyung Soo dragged him by the collar and entered the library. Baek Hyun looked alarmed as a new student, and Kyung Soo looked as if he was lost.

 

He turned his head to the counter to see Minzy, typing something on the keyboard, completely unaware of their presence.

“Hi,” Kyung Soo greeted and Minzy looked up, “Can I ask for a small help?” he asked, in a polite voice.

 

It took Minzy a second to register who they were and she broke into a huge flirtatious smile. “Anything.” she grinned.

Kyung Soo heard Baek Hyun’s inward breath.

“Can you find these books for us?” Kyung Soo asked, handing a small bit of paper to her. “I’m sorry but we are not familiar with this.”

“I’m not in duty today, but I’ll ask my friend to help you.” she said smiling, before disappearing to a room adjacent to the counter.

“This is my first time in 4 years I stepped into a library.” Baek Hyun said, appalled after Minzy was off the sight. “It’s very quiet.” he commented.

“Because it’s a damn library.” Kyung Soo said, gritting his teeth.

 

**

 

“Can’t they take it by themselves? We are librarians, not some bloody servants.” Haru said, angry and incredulous.

“It’s them.”
”Who?” Haru asked stoutly.

“EXO’s!”

“Lay?” She asked immediately, her face brightens up.

“No, it’s Baek and D.O.!”

Haru’s glowing face were replaced by something odd and utterly alien. “Oh.” she said in disappointment.

 

“Please. I would go, but I need to prepare for my quiz later,” Minzy pleaded. She said as if she really wanted to help them. Haru felt like whining but gave up.

“Okay,” She agreed, trying not to sound bitter.

 

**

 

“Thank you.” Kyung Soo smiled indulgently. Haru stood there for a second before nodding. These guys are beautiful, she thought.

She walked first, and then the two boys followed her. She did not need to ask whether it was their first time in the library because of the sounds they make when they walk past the book sections confirmed it for her.

“You have all kinds of books here?” Kyung Soo asked, his eyes widening but never leaving the racks. “Including comics?”

“Yes, including that.”

She stopped at a particular rack and started looking for the books. Kyung Soo helped but Baek Hyun looked as if he was finding for someone.

“Do you someone named,” He asked, looking unsure. He then turned to Kyung Soo and asked, “What’s her name?”

Kyung Soo raised his eyebrows questioningly and mouthed, “Who?”
”That girl, the one worked with Sehun?”Baek Hyun explained.

Baek Hyun and Kyung Soo stand against the rack across Haru and she moved to join them. “Me?” She asked, her voice sharp.

“No, I forgot her name.” Baek Hyun said, furrowing his eyebrow.

“Kim Haru?” she asked simply. Kyung Soo looked at her in surprise.  “That’s me.”

“Haru?” Baek Hyun asked calmly, pointing at her. She nodded. His brown eyes narrowed as he stared at her, “I’m Byun Baek Hyun,” he said smoothly, handing his hand out for her.

She hesitated a while before shaking his hand.

 

“We heard a lot about you from Seh-” Baek Hyun started, not bothering to smile.

“Kai! We heard a lot about you from Kai.” Kyung Soo interrupted, chuckling nervously. “You both worked together, right?”

“Yes. We did.” she cocked an eyebrow.

“Nice meeting you, I’m Kyung Soo by the way.” He said, “But you can call me D.O.,”

She smiled and handed him the books, “There you go.” she said quietly but sharply. “Anything else?” she asked.

“Nothing?” Baek Hyun asked back, his voice quiet as a cricket, sounding doubtful. He looked as if he wanted her to ask him something.

“Then, have a nice day,” she told awkwardly, before leaving the two of them behind. Baek Hyun let out a nimby rusty laugh. “Did she just shrug us off?” he asked. “I think she did,” he said flatly and laughed again.

“You mad?”
”No , just surprised. She just ignored me, but why didn’t you tell to her about Sehun?”

“We both know he doesn’t like people poking their nose into his business.” Kyung Soo said carefully. Baek Hyun nodded as if he was agreeing with him, “She doesn’t particularly stand out,” he said, his finger touching his chin. “She don’t have a great body and she is flat chested.”

“I don’t know. She seemed nice.” Kyung Soo said. “Cold but nice.”

 

//

 

“Why are you training so hard suddenly?” Chanyeol asked, wiping the sweat from his forehead, “We have only 2 days, if you train this hard, you might end up hurting yourself.” he panted.

“We must win this. You’re right, I lost my focus. It’s now time to get back to track.” Sehun said, dribbling the ball.

“For whom you’re doing this?” Chanyeol asked, gauging for a reaction from him.

“For our college and for ourselves.” Sehun answered seriously.

“Is that it?”

 

Sehun tensed and put his hands on his hips. “That is all.” he said, trying to control his temper. Chanyeol nodded and chuckled mockingly.

 

“What’s so funny?”

“It’s weird to see you like this.”

 

Sehun cocked his eyebrow and looked him steadily in his eyes. “Weird?” he asked with a hint of leer in his voice.

 

“I’ve seen you getting angry, I’ve seen you getting mad. But this is new. To me and to you,” Chanyeol paused, trying to contain his grin, “Whatever this is, I hope it brings the good in you.” he said, smiling broadly.

“ off, Chan.” Sehun shuddered.

“I don’t know, but I don’t think you can keep something off your mind just by distracting yourself.”

Sehun’s back stiffened. He shut his eyes and let out a breath. “I think my head is going to explode if I continue with this escapism.” he admitted.