House of cards

Mr. Not-so-perfect

She knocked on his door and seconds later, it flung open. Luhan smiled at her, and leaned towards his door, giving her space to walk past him. She nodded and entered his house.

“I didn’t see you in office,” he started, closing the door behind him and walked towards the kitchen, “Coffee or tea?”

“I quit,” she said a little sadly, “I’d like a cup of coffee.”

She sat at the far end of the couch, still feeling a bit of the amazement looking at his unit. She carefully took note not to talk to him about the story he let her saw the other day.

“Why did you quit?” he asked her, suddenly as he pours the hot coffee into a mug. Haru look at him confusingly, “I had to quit.” She looked as he brought the cup towards her. He then sat down across her, his hand reaching for his cup.

“What are you going to do next?” he asked her, his eyes were looking elsewhere.

“I’m moving out soon. And I’ll look for another job,”

His eyes glanced up quickly, eyebrows shooting up. “Why are you moving out?”

She stopped midway, with her hand still grasping the coffee cup, “What do you mean why?” she asked, this time slightly irritated, “That’s not where I belong.”

He stare her for a few seconds then chuckled slightly before sipping in his coffee. “You're obsessed with living independently, aren’t you?” he said, the smile still lingered in his face; “I like it. The determination you have. I don’t share it but I like it,”

“I just don’t want to live my life out of courtesy of others,” she said bitterly.

“You don’t get it,” Luhan mumbled, his eyes darkening a bit. “When you like someone, you will want to do some things for them,” he stopped, taking in another sip, “That's just how some expresses themselves.”

“And I’m just suppose to accept it?” she asked, defending herself. “Because he’s expressing himself by giving things to me?”

“So often we are defined by the mistakes we made and what we’ve done.” He smiled, “Not everyone declares feelings in words. For some people, it’s hard to say things out. Their action carries the deepest meaning. You can't force love. It's there or it isn't. If it's not there, you've got to be able to admit it. If it is there, you've got to do whatever it takes to protect the ones you love.”  

His confession echoed in her mind as she stares at her mug aimlessly. Luhan was right; Sehun isn’t a person to express himself in words, yet he confessed to her about his feelings, showed her a vulnerable side of him that he hasn’t showed anyone.

No matter how bleak things could seem on occasion, just thinking of Sehun made everything better, she realized. She wished that she hate him, for all the things he’s done and all the lies he has told, but she just couldn’t bring herself to loathe him. But something inside her mind, her ego perhaps, refused to give in to her heart.

Her expression became serious, and she let out an exasperated huff, “It doesn’t matter.” She says, putting the cup on a table across her, “I’ve had enough of his lies.”

Luhan smiled as if he knew what she was thinking, “You say that but you still like him. It’s so clear,” he declared casually. “When you spend so much of your time with someone, deciding to quit them is like losing a part of yourself. Even when the hate is so powerful, you just can’t do it,”

Haru stifled a smile, clearing , finally giving up, “I’m that obvious, huh?” She laughed a little, but it died quickly. Beneath the miasma of betrayal, she felt a twinge of fear, she'd felt on the night when she met him at the coffee shop, and fought back a small notion as she thought, This is a house of cards. Nothing is forever.

 

“I’m scared,” she whispered, so lowly, she doubt Luhan could hear her, “People’s feelings change easily. Nothing is sure, nothing lasts forever. He likes me now, but what guarantee is there, that he’ll like me in more years to come? What if he grew tired of me? What if he finally realized that I’m not worthy of him?” She asked, remembering what Baekhyun said to her, “When you love someone, you’re uniquely vulnerable. They have the power to hurt you like nothing else. I’m tired of getting hurt.”

“I think you are afraid to be happy, because when you are happy, bad things happen. But guess what? happens, all the time.” He says, overlooking her fears, “You want an advice from me? Enjoy while it last.”

He got up and walked towards his typewriter, and touched the papers beside it, reminiscing his memories, “You were right the last time.” He turned back to look at her, his eyes were slightly glassy; “I was the bird.”

He looked like he was in some kind of pain, and it was shown on his face as he spoke, “I left my family in China and came here alone. I hated to be them. I hated how my parents couldn’t even afford me a decent clothes and meals.” He sniffed his nose, trying to keep himself calm, “It was later I discovered, that they were killed in an earthquake. Only if I knew, that that would be last time, I saw them, I would have let them know how-“he stopped talking, forcing the bile back to his throat. “The people in your life, the real people, who stands by you, and loves you no matter what, just hug them. Life is too short and unpredictable; you might not see them again.”


//

Sehun was in the bar alone, drinking, when Chanyeol walked in. His black hair were all ruffled, dark circles were prominently visible under his eyes, and he reek of hard expensive liquor. He didn’t realize that Chanyeol was even there.

“Things are still on edge, I assume,” Chanyeol said, taking the glass away from Sehun’s hand, his eyes glanced at the half empty bottle beside him, “How much did you drink?”

Sehun tired to reach back the glass but Chanyeol held it higher. Giving up, he stretched to get the bottle instead, “The lies we tell for love.” He slurred. “I don’t get it. Aren’t you happy when you get things you wished for? What’s there to be upset about?” He tilted the bottle towards his mouth, “I don’t understand girls at all,”

Chanyeol slouched on a bad chair, his hand gesturing the nearby bartender asking for a glass of whiskey, “You really don’t get her,” he said wickedly, “Some girls want to earn things. The pleasure in knowing you get something from your own efforts is unexplainable. She wants to prove herself. She has dreams. Isn’t that the reason you are so infactuated by her? Because she is always out of your reach?”

Sehun stared at the liquor bottle long and hard. Slowly a small smile broke into his face. “She's not cute at all,” He got up hastily, reaching for his coat on the bar stool beside him.

“Where are you going?” Chanyeol asked, his hand holding the small glass, only inches from his mouth.

Sehun didn’t answer, as he dashed out of the bar, with a silly grin plastered on his face.

**

He drove his car to her apartment, parking it just outside the building. He glanced briefly at his watch, 11.30, it shows. He glanced back at the apartment, his eyes focused to only one unit. It was bright. She’s still awake, he thought.

He was an exceedingly successful business man's son, most men would kill to even call themselves moderately successful. But Sehun didn't need it, so he didn't want it. The big house, the gorgeous yard, the uptight upbringing.

 It was all too big. Too empty. It reminded him of his childhood home, with his parents always away, having to fend for himself in the suffocating quiet. He remembered the silence and how it pained him, especially on holiday. Somehow be finds comfort being with her. He really didn’t know why, but it nice, and it made him to think like all his best years aren’t completely used up. Even if everything burned to ashes, she made him realize there’s always a chapter left untold.

Minutes later, the unit went completely dark. He smiled ever so lightly, his head leaned rested against the headrest of his car. He lifted his hand into a light wave and said, “Good night,”

//

 

His pace was brisk and determined as he walked from his car to her huge apartment, desperately trying to organize his thoughts. As always, deep emotions brought chaos, and he was in no way certain he'd be able to form a cohesive case for himself. He wanted to convince her of a number of things, but first and foremost was his desire to express that he was going to do better. She'd become the most important thing in his life, and she was worth the effort.

He knocked on her door, despite knowing the passcode to her place. He waited as the door opened, revealing a sleepy Haru in her night gown, her hands roughly rubbing her eyes. She looked hesitant upon seeing him, but somehow she let him enter the unit.

They didn’t speak for a while, and the silence dominated the entire space. Her heart pounded so loudly, that she’s almost afraid that he'll hear her. He leaned casually towards the kitchen counter, his arms crossed against his chest. “How long are we going to keep this up?” he asked, as he steps closer to her, so close that the scent of liquor empowers her.

He touched her hair, tucking a strand of hair behind her ears, and she twitched upon the contact. She raised her eyes to see him, and the first thing she noticed was how shiny his black hair looked from the morning sun from the open window.

She then realized that she was staring at him for quite a while and quickly diverted herself. She tried to walk past him, but his hands captured her elbow as he leaned forward suddenly, pressing a kiss on her forehead.


“I'm done playing it nice,” he said, and Haru looked startled. She looked at his eyes, “Whenever I think of you not being around, it hurts like something’s grabbing a hold of my heart. Even now like this, when we’re together, it’s unbearable. I’m sorry for every lies but I love you. No matter what anyone says, if it’s not you it won’t do.”


Her breath came fast. That was probably what she wanted to hear, but it hurt and scares her more than she thought. He lifted her chin up a little, so that his forehead falls against hers. He closed his eyes and Haru could feel his hot breath on her face.

She stood there like that for a while, before pressing her face at the nape of his neck, hugging him. A sense of well-being came over him as she nuzzled against him, and a cognizance as all the pieces fell into place. She was a perfect match for him. She was everything he'd ever wanted, complimenting him in every way. He wrapped both of him around her, sniffing and patting her hair.

“,” she said soflty.

“I missed you calling me that,” he smiled as he hugs her back tightly.