Night before the storm

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“It’s gone. All of them,” she said in surprise. Haru scrolled through her mobile, eyes moving up and down. All the articles and images were erased completely. “Sehun, look!” she chirped. He grunted, looking displeased. Eyebrows drawing together, Sehun stared at his coffee.

“Why aren’t you excited?” she asked in disbelief. “There are no search results. The articles, the online forums are all deleted.”

“As if it was wiped out clean,” he acknowledged softly. 

The smile dropped off her face like a lead weight. “Did he,” she murmured, her tone making it sound nothing like a question.

“Yes,” he said, swallowing. “It was my father,”

Haru blinked. She couldn't imagine that amount of power he possess. What else he’s capable of doing? 

“Don’t worry,” he said automatically. “Everything is going to be fine. I'll take care of it,”

Haru laughed at his calm stance. It was eerily odd, for Sehun to be this calm and collected when it comes to his father. “You’ve changed Sehun,” she smiled. 

He issued an incredulous laugh and shakes his head at her, "What?"

“No really. You’re different now,” she poked his face. “Matured. Adult like,” 

“Do you like it?”

“Do you care?” Her eyes flicked up to his, her lips thinning a bit. "You don't care about what people think about-"

“I care. I care what you think about me,” he cuts her off. “What you think of me matters,”

Haru considered him for several moments, smiling slightly.

It was nothing to do with him.

Not even in the slightest bit.

 

But for a moment, Baekhyun crossed her mind. She wondered how he's getting along with Sehun. 

Sehun’s voice cut through her reverie, and she blinked. “Oh. Sorry, my mind was a million miles away. Um... yes,” she said, recalling his question. “What were you saying?”

He shakes his head, indicating that it was nothing important. 

She swallowed. “How are your friends? Chanyeol? Baekhyun?” She spoke, her voice low with uncertainty. 

She asked not sure if she would like the answer. His eyes were piercing hers. She felt like she was burning under his gaze.

His eyes turned slits. “You knew, didn’t you?” he asked, confused. “You totally knew he liked you.”

Haru cleared before answering him. “Just recently,” she affirmed.

Sehun let out a huge sigh. “What did he say?” he pressed, wondering for the first time just what happened between his girlfriend and his best friend. “It was surprising. I’ve never seen him behaving that way. What happened?”

The look on his face and his line of questioning made her shift uncomfortably. “Do you want pancakes?” she asked, standing up from her seat. “I’ll make you one,”

He still looked suspicious and unsettled, “You’re changing the topic,”

They both stayed still, not moving an inch. Their eyes were on each other. She scowled, looking momentarily at a loss. Describing what happened with Baekhyun was strangely hard; but she didn’t want Sehun to get the wrong idea. “We talked. Well, I did, mostly. But whenever he did, I felt like I saw a few glimpses of who he really is. He’s vulnerable,” she paused momentarily, “He's afraid. He’s afraid of someone knowing him too much,” She stopped for a second, unsure if she should continue.

She felt that maybe it was best to leave it private.

 The anger that suffused his face told her that he had. He stiffened. “You sound like you're quite attached to him,” he said, looking vaguely upset. "I don't like it,"

She laughed, grabbing his shirt to help keep her balance as she pushed up onto her toes, kissing him lightly. “I take it back. You’re not matured at all,” she teased, and he growled as he wrapped his hands around her waist, pulling her against him.

//

 

“Do you want to know something interesting?” Sehun asked her, letting one hand float down to her hip as the other rose, hovering over her lips. “Being with someone you love relieves even physical pain,” he commented, “It act as a stress reliever,,” he murmured, drawing his thumb over her lower lip and catching his breath as she shivered.

“And of course,” he continued, tracing his fingers under her jaw and letting them settle on the column of . “The reason you’re excited and happy to be with them is because,” he suggested, drawing a line along her collarbone. “Your body releases a chemical called oxytocin. It is as addictive as drug,” he added, continuing the line until his finger rested flat against her chest.

“It is called dopamine!,” she corrected him with a laugh, catching his hand before it goes any further down. Her inhale was ragged, and in the next moment she wrapped her arms around his neck and pressing into him, falling into his lap where he sat. She sniffled, her breath hitching as she pressed her face into his chest, his arms like a steel band around her back.

“Right, did I tell you that I’m going Seongnam this weekend?”

“What? Seongnam? Why?”

At his bewildered look, she explained, patiently: “I’m pretty sure I’ve told you before,” she said. “The charity event? For the kids?”

He closed his eyes forcibly remembering their past conversation. She did told him that.

“Do you have to go?” he murmurs. “I’m sure they’ll find a replacement,” he retorts, trying to sound nonchalant, but the way his voice wobbles and nearly breaks ruins any chance of being convincing.

“I want to go,” she insisted. “And I’ll be back soon,”

He stayed silent for a beat. Haru watched him for a moment as he cursed and struggled, and then he said, “You better come back soon, Kim Haru,”

 

//

 

It had been the second day since she arrived. There were several other volunteers along with her. It was physically tiring but she felt glad to be a part of the good cause. She had to spend her night in a small tent because the school is unable to provide living accommodations to all the volunteers.

Her tent was equipped with a single bed and a foldable stool. She smiled, wondering how will Sehun react if he know this. He'd throw a fit, she predicted.

She was preparing a list for the food supplies, when she heard someone clearing their throat right outside her tent. "Excuse me?"

She opened the entryway, to see who it was. It was an elderly looking man, probably in his late 50’s.

Strangely, he looked too familiar, and Haru swear she’s seen his face several times.

And then it hit her.

“Kim Haru?” he asked. His impeccable manner and posture intimidated her.

This is him. This is really him. Oh God.

She tried to not to blink her eyes, and nodded at the man slowly, "Yes,"

A small smile appeared on his face. “I’m Oh Kim. Sehun’s father,” he introduced himself.

 

He's a carbon copy of Sehun. Maybe this is how Sehun would look like after 30 years with salt and pepper hair.

 

Haru noticed that he did not introduce himself as the president of Zeus. “May I?” he asked for permission, looking past her, wanting to enter her tent. He was very polite, she noticed.

“Yes. Of course,” she replied hastily. She turned to look around her tent and realized there were only a single bed and a small wooden stool beside it. She then turned her gaze to him. “You can sit if you want,” she offered meekly.

She knew the man is unlikely to sit on her bed. Or anywhere for that matter.

 

He surprised her when he took the offer. He placed his long coat carefully on her bed and sat slowly on the stool, as if he was fearing that it won’t be able to stand his weight. Looking around, he asked, “How long is this event?”

“For about a week,” she answered immediately, then feeling the sudden awkward silence between them. “But I’m only staying for like 3 days,”

“Do you like kids?” he asked again, baiting for a small talk. It seemed like he was not bothered but the silence between them.

She looked up at him nervously. “Yes,” she replied, her voice shaky. “I find their company enjoyable,”

 

He chuckled lightly. He looks exactly like Sehun, she thought again.

“Spending time with kids is a true form of happiness.” He said absent mindedly, and he stood up and walked towards the end of her tent. “My wife and I had Sehun only after 12 years of marriage. That was the happiest time of my life,” he said fondly, reminiscing his past. Haru observed that he was still wearing his wedding ring.

“He is very dear to us. He used to be a very cheerful kid. A curious one too. He likes to ask a lot of questions. He was full of laughter,” he smiled to himself.

Then, slowly his smile faded and the space between his eyebrow creases. “Something happened then and he turned out to be a different kid. He’s full of anger and hatred. He turned wild,”

Mr. Kim fixes his gaze softly on Haru, “You changed him, didn’t you? He’s different now. I have to thank you for that,” His wry smile spread, a little self-deprecating.

“I- I didn’t do anything,” she stuttered, slightly blushing. She didn't know on how to react to his claims.

He turned back, and touches the wall of the tent with the back of his palm,  “When he was 15, he got into a fight with his classmate. My son hit him so hard, the boy had to spend several weeks in the hospital. Fearing for Sehun’s future, I covered it up by paying quite a sum to the boy’s family,” he admitted, his voice straight and it lacked the sense of remorse nor guilt.

Haru flinches, shock permeating her entire being, "You did that-"

“I’m his father, and I did what I could do for him. And I have absolutely no regrets about it,” He defended his actions, after noticing Haru’s state.

“Sehun believes what he believes. It’s hard to turn his mind from something once he’s decided. It doesn’t matter to me whether he appreciates or even know it or not, but I’ve always cared for him,” he said slowly. “I care for him tenderly from a distance,”

He turned to face her, “I'm concerned about his future. He’s the heir to my company. He’s meant for this. I want provide him everything as a father. Everything I do is for him,” he said, his eyes reflect a tinge of sadness, “He’s the only one I have,”

Haru swallowed, knowing exactly where he is getting. She continued to stare elsewhere, completely avoiding eye contact with him. She wasn't prepared for this.

 

“I’m happy to see him being happy. And he’s happy when he’s with you,” he admitted, and just like that, Haru felt a small ray of hope in her heart.

“I know that you love him. That, I won’t deny.” He stopped, his face and voice hardening, “But this childish thoughts won’t do later. He’s meant for greater things,” 

 

Haru didn’t even realize that she’s holding her breath. Her black teary eyes went wider than usual as she watched him. She sniffed, trying to keep from crying.

 

Even in chaotic moments, Sehun only sees what’s important for him. But sometimes, that might not be the right thing,” he added softly, not wanting to offend her. “I'm not saying that you're lacking of anything. I just think he might not be the right one for you. I hope you understand,” A small part of her was desperately screaming at him to stop.

“I do,” Haru whispered, her voice tight, then she felt her hot tears on her cheeks. Mortified, she rubbed at them, sniffling and trying to keep herself under control. “I understand,”

“Thank you,” he nodded as he regarded her, and he leaned down to pick up his coat, slinging it over his arm, ready to leave.

“Mr. Oh," Haru called him, her voice shaky. “You’re a good father,” she said, once he turned to look at her, “I’m sure Sehun will understand you, sooner or later,” she said genuinely. "I really hope he does,"

"I hope so too," he replied at her, smiling sincerely.