Graduation

Mr. Not-so-perfect

If Cinderella's glass slipper fits so perfectly, she wonder why it fell off along the way?  She can't help but think that it was on purpose, to attract the prince's affections. No matter what she does, she'll still have the fate of a girl who just keeps getting hurt, wondering if she can be happy in this pointless, one man show. She is just tired of liking someone who doesn’t like her back. And she couldn’t understand why she kept looking at him.

 

When Haru woke up, it was dark again. She rolled over, half asleep, and Sehun was in bed with a decent amount of distance from her. He looked angelic. She smiled slightly, feeling completely at ease and extended out her hand to his sleeping face.

 

You’re selfish.” A familiar voice startled her. Her eyes flew open, and she squeaked out in horror, “Who is it?” she asked, looking around her house.

Haru gasped shockingly when she saw herself, siting on a chair, cross legged, looking at her, disapprovingly.

Liking another, being with another. How did I end up like this?” her own shadow asked her.

“What is this? Am I dreaming?” Haru questioned, still in shock.

Does it matter?” Her silhouette asked her, “What are you doing?

“I didn’t-” Haru stuttered, turning briefly to see Sehun. “Sehun is not-”

You don’t like him? If not, why is he there beside you? You knew he likes you, and here you are, playing with his feelings. And you expect a happy ending for yourself.” Her shadow leaned forward, “If you like him, confess. If you don’t, leave. But you have no rights to play with his heart. He deserves better.

 

It sounded harsh and Haru felt as if she’d been slapped.

 

And so he waits. And for what he does not know, and for how long he does not know either, but he knows that he has this thing called love for you. And he thinks you’re worth waiting for.” Her shadow snickered.

“Stop,” Haru said shakingly.

Does that makes you feel good? Knowing you’re wanted and loved?” Her shadow started laughing maniacally, and the laugh echoed. Haru shut her ears tight with both of her hands. “Stop!”

Haru jerked awake from her bed, looking around and panting. There was no one around, and she looked at her side, and no one was there in her bed. The sweat beads glistened her face, and she ran her fingers through her hair.

“Dream. It’s a dream,” she whispered to calm herself.

 

//

“Oh my god, how many days you didn’t sleep?” Minzy asked, laughing while pointing at Haru’s dark circles.

“Something is keeping me up.” Haru said, while sipping in her coffee. Her warm coffee smells delicate and it heats up her entire body, and suddenly flashes of Sehun smiling, crossed her thoughts. Closing her eyes, she shrugged, “I’m losing my mind.” She mumbled to herself.

“What?” Minzy asked, seeing Haru talking to herself. “Something wrong?” she asked concerningly.

“No,” Haru stated, sitting up straight. Minzy smiled slightly, and reached for Haru’s hand, “I’m so sorry I couldn’t be with you that day. I had to bring my sister to visit my parents.” She apologized, “Did you see that stalker again?”

“No, he kinda disappeared. I don’t see anywhere after that,” Haru smiled reassuringly back at her, tightening her grip on Minzy hand, “Everything is fine.”

“So can you please tell me what is wrong with you?”she asked, not buying Haru’s previous excuses, “You look tired and exhausted.”

 

“Lately, my conscience is telling me things that I don’t want to hear,” Haru sighed softly. “And I don’t know what to do to shut it.”

“About what?”

Haru had another sip of coffee, not answering the question. Minzy quirked her eyebrows as if she was demanding an answer.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Haru answered truthfully. Her hands clasped the coffee mug, the heat radiated to her hand.

“Running away isn’t the best solution,” Minzy said subtlety.

“I’m not running away. I’m just scared that I’ll end up thinking about him more than I already am.” She replied, looking outside through the window, “I’m tired of seeing him everywhere.”

 

“Love does that, doesn’t it?” Minzy laughed, “It keeps fighting it’s way back in, no matter how hard you try to contain it.” She look up to meet Haru’s confused eyes, and smiled gently at her, “I’m not going to ask you to give him a chance. If you really don’t feel anything for him, you don’t have to. But if you do, then don’t deny it.”

“It’s embarrassing.” Haru frowned, “I used to like Kris, and then Lay. Now I just don’t know what I feel. It’s like, I can’t even understand myself.” She rubbed her temple, “I’m so fickle.”

“It’s okay to kiss a lot of frogs before finding your prince. But what do you think about him?” Minzy prodded, “About Sehun?”

Haru looked at her coffee mug, and wondered, “When I firstly saw him, and based on our first few interactions, he was really an unpleasant man. Moody, temperamental and extremely sensitive. Clingy even,” she smiled lightly, “But now, all of that means nothing to me.”

Minzy nodded and sipped in her hot chocolate drink. Both girls looked up when an elderly couple walked in the coffee shop. They were probably around 70 years of age. The elderly man pulled the chair for his wife to sit, and he sat across her. They didn’t exchange any words except for a genuine smile on both of their faces.

 

Haru looked at them for quite a while. Their gestures were casual and nonchalant, as if they are comfortable with one another. Her mind was far off looking at them, thinking what is the deciding factor, for one one to spend their life with another person. How do they decide? How do they know if that person is the one?

“Who do people get married?” Haru asked, unconsciously. “Why do they want to spend their whole life with that one person?”

 

Minzy glanced Haru warily, “Do you know the vows of marriage?” She asked, “It goes, ‘in sickness and in health,’. There’s not many people you can be with like that in this world.” She took a big bite of her croissant and made herself comfortable, “We always wanted to be alone at one point of our life. For some people, they prefer to be isolated when they are depressed, or when they want to cry. For someone like me, I prefer to be alone when I’m not wearing any makeup,” she laughed, “But one day, you’ll find someone you don’t mind being around with you at all times,” she paused, “Probably because he’s the one. Maybe.”

 

Haru stared long and hard at her coffee, taking in the entire conversation. Somehow, she felt too young to be thinking about marriage. She wanted to do some things for herself, before settling down. She have dreams, big dreams. Having a family and getting married didn’t make it into her future to-do list for now.

“Anyways, forget about Lay,” Minzy suddenly said, retrieving Haru from her thoughts. Haru looks at her confusingly, her eyebrows drawing together.

“Let’s not be that girl,” Minzy said softly, putting her hand over hers. “The girl who waits for someone who’s not interested.” She looked directly at Haru, and offered a smile, “It doesn’t matter whom you choose, make sure he’s worth it. But only a new love can heal a wounded heart.” 

Haru felt as if her senses were knocked into her, and she only nodded in response, feeling speechless. “Thank you.” she whispered to her friend.

“I’m that friend, aren’t I?” Minzy said, rolling her eyes, feeling irritated. “The friend that gives excellent relationship advice, but strangely remains single.” She popped in another big piece of croissant in , “God, I hate being that friend.”

 

\\

 

Haru clapped and cheered when the last student received her roll. She lost some weight, thanks to her insomnia. Her hair is all in place was once, and she wore a black robe. That day was an important day for her; it was her graduation.

“We finally graduated!” Minzy spoke, a tone louder to make herself heard amidst the speakers. “Time for a new chapter.”

Haru stood up, holding Minzy’s hand, looking very pleased. “Time for a new chapter,” she chirped along, laughing. “Hey, wanna grab a coffee?” She asked, still grinning.

A very flustered Minzy muttered something, not looking at Haru at all, and quickly scurried away before Haru could even say something. Confused, she turned back, only to look at Sehun, away from his group of friends, standing tall and handsome in his robe. She was momentarily loss for words, and just opted to smile instead.

 

“Happy graduation,” he congratulated her.

“Happy graduation,” she replied back.

 

“Let’s go there,” he gestured, “It’s too noisy here.” Turning away from him, she nodded. “Strange, isn’t it?” she mused, walking beside him, “It’s like, we’re finally growing up.”

Sehun laughed, “You’re getting old.” he joked, earning him a punch in the arm. “What’s your plan?” he asked, grinning while rubbing his arm.

“I’ve applied for a few companies, and I guess I just have to wait. You?” she asked him. Sehun walked silently, considering her question. Honestly, he didn’t think much about his future. There’s nothing to think about, when your life is planned out for you. He would probably be in training to take over his father’s business in a few years time. He wore a confused look while he navigated her away from the spot.

Waiting for his answer, Haru her head to see him. He turned and smiled at her, “Same.” he said, sounding implausible.

They reached quite a distance from the crowd. Sehun glanced behind his shoulders briefly to make sure they were alone. He stood close to her.

 

“What will you be doing after 5 years?” Haru asked casually, tugging her hair behind her ear.

“Haven’t thought about it yet. 5 years is a long way to go. ” Sehun shrugged, “You? I’m pretty sure you’d have big dreams.”

 

“If I don’t have big dreams, I can’t survive in real life.” She breathed in deeply before answering, “I want to see what’s beyond here. I don’t want my life to end in a small world, convincing that I’m happy, doing nothing at a place that has nothing. I want to live out in the big world alone.”

She smiled and looked at Sehun who had an unreadable expression on his face, “Sounds like a very early farewell.” He said quietly.

Haru nodded, unable to answer verbally, “Might be.” She turned around, looking away from him. “In 5 years, I might start a new life in a new place.” She said, trying to keep tame her windblown hair.

 

She wasn’t asking for his permission, but she wanted to know his reaction. For some odd reasons, she wanted to know how he feels about her future plan that may or may not have him in it.

 

“Go.” He finally said, “Be whomever you want to be. Whether you’ve decided to stay here or leave, if you still want me, I’ll be with you.’ He assured her. Needing to see his face, Haru turned back. “In case if you are wondering, I’m not giving up on you. I still like you. But I don’t want to stop you from chasing your dreams.” He leaned closer to her, smirking, “There's a whole world out there waiting for you. Great cities, and places. And you can go and have all of it.”