Farewell

Mr. Not-so-perfect

The next day, Krystal met Sehun in the court, before going to her class. She brushed at his jersey, earning her a glaring look, and explained, “I didn’t see you for a long time,” she said adoringly.

“Do you want to eat lunch with me?” she cajoled, smiling brightly at him.

Sehun was silent for a few seconds. “There is something I need to tell you,” he muttered seriously.

“Something wrong?” she asked him concerningly.

“Nothing,” he assured her. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but couldn't find the words to get it out. After a few moments of trying, he gave up, looking strangely defeated.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized.

 

She shifted on the seat, fiddling. “If it is a serious topic, let’s talk about it later,” she finally said, haltingly, feeling a twinge of anxiousness. She'd guessed what he wanted to say, but she was so adamant of not wanting to hear it from him. He shot her a guilty look, “I have to do this,”

“This,” She swallowed. “This is about me, right?”

He winced. “I’m sorry I didn’t say this sooner. But I don’t feel anything for you.”

She swallowed again, feeling strangely raw. She couldn't exactly refute what he was saying, and the fact that he was saying it meant he probably don’t want anything to do with her.

“You don’t like me,” she whispered, the realization hitting her hard. She'd been so full of herself, then, hadn't she? Thinking that he'd been over the moon for her, thinking he would feel the same.

“I like you, I really do,” he said, smiling wryly, “But not in that way.”

Stunned, Krystal just stared at him.

“You liked me, even when I wasn’t good to you, and in someway, you made me feel better about myself.” he admitted. “But I don’t want to lie to you. And I don’t want to play around with your feelings. I just think,” He paused, “You shouldn’t waste your time on people who don’t love you.”

 

They fell silent, for a while. In the end, he left without a word, both of them feeling too awkward. She'd agreed, feeling strangely relieved that apparently being told something like that directly is actually a sign to move on. But she wished she could see him, even if it wasn't as boyfriend and girlfriend, because she couldn't bear to just see him walk out of her life entirely.

 

//

 

“You weren’t here on Tuesday,” Tao said drinking his almond milk outside the convenience store.

“I went to a party,” Haru said, sipping in her drink, “Did you came here?” she asked.

He nodded, “The EXO’s?” He asked.

“Hmm,” her eyebrows lifted incredulously, “Why were you here?”

“Call me old fashioned, I still think farewells are best in person.”

She choked on her drink, “What?”
Tao squinted his eyes at her, “I’m leaving this dumpster country that gives me nothing but heartache.” he said smiling weakly, “I”m going back to my country.”

“Why sudde-”

“And I wanted to say goodbye,” he cuts her off shortly.

“But why?” she asked, taken aback.

Tao shrugged, about to brush it off, and then gave her a good look and winced, sighing. "I don’t think I’m suited to be here. I miss my friends back in China, and I wanted to start fresh,” he said apologetically.

“So this is our last meeting?” she asked, running her hand through her hair, “I should buy you something.” she said.

“There’s no need for such formalities,” he laughed sincerely.

She smiled at him back, “So when are you leaving?”
”This Saturday.”

 

Haru looked at her drink wryly, “This is so sudden,” she said, holding her drink.

Tao swallowed, suddenly feeling a little bad. He'd noticed Haru looking awkward probably because she’s particularly emotional that he is leaving.

“You are going to miss me,” he said, jokingly.

 

She laughed sweetly at him, “You are nice person Tao, despite what you lead on to other people.” She said, “You have a larger personality that you’re subjected too, and yes, I’m going to miss you.”

 

“Good.” he exclaimed, throwing his head back.

 

Tao was smiling, a hint of relief in his face. Haru watched him, dropping into her own thoughts a bit. She wondered if Tao wanted to leave Korea because of his heartbreak. She imagined Sehun might play a little role too in Tao’s sudden departure.

“What do you think about Sehun?” Tao asked, out of nowhere, as if he knows she’s thinking about him. “Do you think he’s nice?” he asked.

 

“Sehun?”


He nodded, ”Don’t you think he’s an unpleasant person?” Tao pointed out, “He has so many unflattering qualities. Don’t you think so? ”

 

 

Haru found herself counting down a list of all Sehun’s flaws. He was needy. He was temperamental. He could be really mean, especially when his feelings were hurt. His feelings were very easily hurt. Sehun was extremely self-centered.

 

It should have been easy to hate him. And there are times she wanted to. It had been so less complicated then, before she'd gotten to know him at all.

 

But his flaws were easily seen, only if one pays a close attention.

 

For some reason, Sehun was like the anti-human; he wore his flaws on the outside like a shield, so he could hide any good, soft parts from the sharp, calculating minds of others. And the thing that bothered her the most was that there were as many good parts to him as there were bad. Or, rather, all of his flaws had a flip-side to them that she found herself a little attached to:

 

His childishness sometimes manifested into silliness. His mean streak could be softer, and after he realized it, he couldn’t stop apologizing for it. His easily hurt feelings sometimes made him unexpectedly and poignantly kind. Sehun was confident, and smart.

 

Sehun was always been kind to her.

 

“So many. It's hard to pinpoint any one,” she laughed, quietly. “It's easy to hate him. You may think that he is a damaged, but he’s just a 21 year old kid. He’s brave, he’s strong. I think he’s impressive. I can’t do that. If I was in his shoes, I don’t think I can survive.” she admitted.

 

After spending a minute being speechless, Tao lifted his eyes to her, “You always see the good in people,”he laughed, “If we meet under different circumstances, I really hope we could be friends.”

 

“We are friends now.” She assured him with a smile.

 

He released a shuttering breath, “You better not forget me, keep in touch always.” He said, looking noticeably sad. “Goodbye, Kim Haru.”

 

///

 

“Let’s play the drinking game!” Baek Hyun suddenly said. "We have a lot of booze here, thanks to Chanyeol, so why drink it and pass our time boringly when we can play this amazing game!” he grinned. “C’mon now boys, form a circle.”

 

“I hate this stupid game. This is so immature.” Sehun said, irritated. “I’ll pass.” he yawned.

Baekhyun stopped him by grabbing on to him, “You are not going anywhere. Lay is sleeping and I’m not letting you go, this is a group activity, everyone is participating,” he ordered. "And your birthday is coming up soon, so let's call for an early celebration," he grinned.

 

"So, what are we waiting for? Let's start," Baekhyun said, giddily.

And so the boys formed a circle. “This is supposed to be pizza night.” Kyung Soo complained.

"The rules are simple. You have to answer the question honestly, or else take a shot." Baekhyun explained ignoring the grunt from fellow members. “And you can ask anything.” He smirked, emphasizing on the word, ‘anything’.

 

“What’s the dirty look on your face?” Suho said, slapping across Baek Hyun’s cheeks.

Kai poured the liquor for each one of them and they waited for the game to start.

“Alright, let’s start,” Baekhyun initiated, “I’ll go first,” he said, accessing the boys, “I pick Chen.”

Chen refused to look at him, “Don’t ask me stupid things,” he glared.

“Okay, I’ll go easy on you. If the EXO’s are girls, who would you kill, marry, and shag?”

Chen laughed and pushed his glass further away, “Easy. I would kill Suho, marry Chanyeol and shag Kyungsoo.”

Suho shakes his head, and Chen smirked, “It’s my turn now right?” He asked. “I pick Kai.” he said, glancing at him.

“Are you currently crushing on someone?” Chen asked timidly. “Be honest,” he added while waggling his eyebrows.

 

Kai fell silent a while before grabbing the shot glass in front of him. He chunk it down in one mouth, earning a surprised look from everyone.

“You taking the shot, is basically you confirming to us.” Kyungsoo nudged Kai’s arm. “ You bastard, who’s the girl?”

“This is strong,” Kai said referring the drink, trying to change the topic. He then shifted himself to face Baekhyun,  “I pick Baekhyun.” he said, pointing at him.

“Come at me,” Baekhyun said smugly.

“How many times you watched this week?” Kai asked abashedly. That question got everyone laughing.

“This is not fair,” Baekhyun protested, “Everyone knows I’m .” he answered proudly.

“He sees it everyday.” Xiumin answered for him, “You don’t even have the decency to wear earphones.”

“Let’s say I’m not a freaking CIA agent when it comes to hiding .” he huffed, “Now, Chanyeol,  I have a question for you, describe your ideal type,”

“Sandara Park,” Chanyeol answered, flashing his grin, “She’s perfect, no matter how you see her.” he chortled.

”Never thought you into older females.”Kyungsoo commented. Chanyeol shrugged his shoulder and pointed at Sehun.

 

“Sehun,” Chanyeol intoned, looking at Sehun, who drinks regardless he was asked a question or not, “What do you think about the librarian?” he asked dumbly, blinking.

Baekhyun groaned, making a disapproval noise.

 

Sehun froze and contemplated on what to say. He poured himself another drink, wanting to pass the question. But somehow, in the midway, he changed his mind, wanting to answer.

 

Sehun shrugged, heaving a gusty sigh, “The truth?” he lingered in, ‘I like her. A lot,” He paused, “She makes me smile. She makes me happy. I’m looking forward to see her everyday, to talk to her, to be with her. I like Haru.” he explained patiently.

 

All the boys kept silent, looking startled at his sudden confession. When he realized everyone was looking at him as if he’s gone crazy, Sehun gave a little wave and hustled out. “I’m going to sleep,” he says.

 

“Please tell me, he’s joking,” Baekhyun spat horrifically. “This is a joke, right?”