Dinner

Mr. Not-so-perfect

//

Haru was flipping through the pages of the new fiction book, gushing over the print. “My god, this is so expensive,” she mumbled, seeing the price tag on the new book.

“Hi,” a voice drawled her.

She turns her head to look at a group of boys surrounding her. “We met before,” said a guy, “Remember? I’m D.O,” he smiled innocently.

She nodded nervously and looked at the rest of the group. Everyone was there except for Lay and Sehun.

“Can we talk, for a moment?” Chanyeol asked, friendly. “I don’t think this is gonna take long,” he continued.

“I’m not sure, I have duty now,” Haru avoided, not wanting to accept the invitation.

“We already talked to the president, now can you follow us?” Baekhyun said, irritatingly, earning a nudge from Chanyeol. Kai smiled familiarly at her, “Don’t worry, we are not going to abduct you,” he joked. “Come.”

Haru felt her stubborn nature crack under the force of their persuasion although she was reluctant to follow, herself, if she was being honest.

 

 

**

They were at the college’s cafe, and for an obvious reason, everyone’s attention was on them. It made Haru uncomfortable. She squirmed in her seat and she kept looking at the people staring at her.

“You don’t feel good?” Chanyeol asked, “Because of the crowd?”

Before she could answer, he stood up in a bench nearby and yelled, “LEAVE THIS CAFE FOR 30 MINUTES, NO QUESTIONS, LEAVE NOW.”he ordered.

 

Haru was left dazzled, when the students actually packed their belongings and start walking away from the cafe.  Kyungsoo snapped her out of her reverie.

“Hey,” he grinned. “Sorry about that, we don’t do things like this usually,” he smiled.

He looked like a cute stuffed toy with big round eyes, she thought.

Shaking her head, Haru said, “No. I was just surprised.”

“Lay and Sehun couldn’t join us, they both are busy.” Chen said friendly to her. She nodded mutely at him.

 

“Okay, let’s cut the chase,” Baekhyun said abruptly, “We want you to answer a few questions.” he said.

She turned to glare at him, her heated gaze meeting his icy, commanding stare.

“Shut up, Baek.” Kyungsoo said under his breath then turned to Haru, “Anyway, I don’t think you know all of us,” he said, enthutiasically. “I’m Kyungsoo, again,” he grinned, “This is Chanyeol, that’s Xiumin, Suho, Chen, and Baek.” He introduced the boys, one by one. All of them were smiling warmly to her, except the one with the brown hair.  

 

“Were you busy?” Kai asked, noticing how awkward Haru looked. “Did we disturb you?”

“Yea, but no, not really.” She stuttered.

“What do you want to talk about?” she asked, finally building the courage to ask them.

“Nothing important, just to have a chit chat,.” Chanyeol said, smiling broadly. “We know you are close to Sehun, so we thought, why not get along together.”
She nodded, still confused.

“So, ah, you and Sehun got close pretty fast,” Suho started, “We thought there’s a tiff between both of you.”

”There was,” she said, cocking her head, “But I don’t think we are that close. We just talk.”

“Just talk?” Suho asked again.

“Yes,” she answered briefly and stared elsewhere, “He did came to my house once.” Baekhyun looked up at her, almost immediately.

“He came to your house?” Chanyeol asked this time, sharply. She had no idea what his tone suggested.

“Just once.” she answer nervously.

The boys said nothing but looked at one another, looking gloom.

“What you both did?” Baekhyun asked unimpressed.

 

“He came to eat lunch.”
”Lunch at your place? What a joke.” Baekhyun said, looking at his fingernails.

She waited. Such an , her mind screamed.

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, I don’t think I need to repeat” he spatted again. He issued a snort, scanning his fingernails again, “Sehun must lost his mind, after all.”

She went bright red, and hastened to sit, mortified and angry and confused, “What?”

Kyungsoo turned to her, swallowed hard, “I’m sorry, he’s in a bad mood today,” he apologized.

Haru turned to look at Kyungsoo confusingly. “Why are you apologizing for him?” she asked, brows furrowed. “That guy is rude to me, why are you apologizing?” she said, pointing her fingers to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun scoffed, “That guy?” he raised his eyebrow, “I have a name.”
”I don’t care for your name,”

“Can you be a little polite, I am forced to be here, and like I said I have no inten-”

 

She ground her teeth. When she spoke, it was low, and furious. “You are not tied to the chair, and I’m pretty sure your arse is not stick to it either, so feel free. Walk away.” She said, clearly offended with his behavior.

His eyes flicked down to her pointedly.

“What’s with the mood,” Suho chuckled nervously, trying to change the atmosphere, “Maybe we should buy something to eat,” He suggested, “What do you want to eat?” he asked her, hoping to ease her mood.

“No thanks.” she stood abruptly. “I don’t know what you had in mind, but this is not the right way. Don’t bring him next time, if you want to talk.” She narrowed her eyes at Baekhyun, “You have no manners.” she said, stomping past him.

Baekhyun scoffed as she walked past him, not sparing him a glance.

 

“What the hell was that Baek?” Xiumin asked, “We want to know how serious she is about Sehun, and now thanks to you its all ruined.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “We can find out, one way or another,” he said, frowning.

“I don’t know why you’re on hellbent hating her, you’ve only met her once, and you just don’t like her,” Kai said, a little regrettably. “She’s a nice girl.”
”You mean rude,” Baekhyun said, folding his arms. “And insignificant.”

Chanyeol turned to him, glaring suspiciously. Baekhyun released a sigh, “I’m just irritated to see her, after knowing Sehun has a thing for her.”

“You jealous?” Chanyeol asked, poking Baekhyun.

“Me?” he huffed, “Over her? Don’t make me laugh,” he chuckled mockingly.

“I’ve heard about this,” Chanyeol said, getting up, “Playboys get jealous over relationships because they can’t be in one. Tell me Baek, what is the longest time you’ve been with a girl?” he asked.

“I don’t see the need to stay in a relationship once the excitement is gone,” he admitted sourly. “It’s not illegal to have fun.” he murmured.

He got up and to face Chanyeol, “By the way, why do you keep talking about her to Sehun?” he asked,  groaning a bit. “Are you encouraging this?”

Chanyeol laughed at Baekhyun’s serious demeanor, “No way, I think he is just playing around, puppy love? It will go away.” he explained.

“Puppy love?,” Baekhyun asked , eyeing him, “Do you really believe that? He went to her house, Chan. Do you think he’s playing around?”


Chanyeol looked wary, but hesitant to argue. After all, Baekhyun wasn't wrong – Sehun might take this seriously than he should.

“This is his first time, isn’t it?” Chen asked, genuinely worried, “He don’t know his limit, he might not even know when to stop.”

“But do you notice?” Kyungsoo interrupted, “She didn’t sound like she like him, though,” he said, raising his eyebrow.

“I thought I was the only one,” Kai joined, “You told me that,” he pointed at Baekhyun, “When a girl talks about the guy she likes, she probably sound giddy, but she didn’t sound like that.” he said.

 

Chanyeol inhaled sharply and scratched his head, “One sided? This is getting interesting.”

 

//

“I heard they are giving ice creams for free, nearby the park.” Sehun said, leaning against the table.

“Eh?” she asked surprised.

“I’m kidding.” He said blankly, “But they are giving out brownies,”.

She widens her eyes again, a small smile formed at her lips. “Reall-”

“Lie.” He smirked. The smirk widened, softening at the edges a bit, into something that almost resembled a real smile. Haru realized, with a start, that the sharp exhalation she'd just witnessed was actually a laugh.

She narrowed her eyes at him, “You look like you’re having fun,” she gritted her teeth, “I’m not in the mood.” she said.

“Why?”

“Tao’s leaving.” she said grumpily after a while. “To China, for good.”

Sehun looked at her, slightly cocking his head, “You’re sad.” He shook his head, sitting across her.

“Isn’t this good for him? Going back to his home?” he asked, lowly.

She said nothing, but continue frowning. was sealed shut, and he smirked, continuing on.

“You’re still grumpy.” he commented. She sighed long and folded her arms, “I’m pissed at you.” She leveled an impressive glare on him for a moment, “Really pissed.”

Sehun’s grin flashed, “Because I lied to you? Lets go eat then, I’m hungry anyway.”

 

“Your friends came to see me, to talk,” She said, halting him, “But I felt it was more like an interrogation, what on earth did you tell them about me?” She scowled.

He looked at her immediately, his expression hardened. “What did they say?” he asked, sitting stiffly on the chair. His smirk disappears from his face, and it was now replaced by a hint of seriousness.

“They asked me what is going is going on between you and me. Did you tell them that I treat you badly?” she frowned. His eyes widened a bit at her rant.

Sehun stared at her, speechless, and then his mouth snapped shut with an audible click. “No.”

Haru shuddered and started packing her books, “I have to go now,” she muttered.

 

“Haru,” he called her slowly, “Are you going to stop talking to me?”

She stopped, turning to face his distressed face. “No.” she said, forcing a fake tight smile.

“Sure?” he asked. There was doubt on his voice.

Her nose wrinkled. He was still staring at her, waiting for an answer.

“Don’t do that.” She said, smiling lightly, “Don’t give me the puppy eyes.” She chuckled, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

//

 

“Come on, lets drink to commemorate your birthday.” Baekhyun, said drunkenly when Sehun walked into the bar.

“His birthday is tomorrow.” Chanyeol replied, slapping Baekhyun’s head. “Don’t drink too much, I’m not taking you home.”

“What the hell did you do?” Sehun asked furiously, “You went and talked to her?” he asked.

“Relax, we didn’t say anything.” Chanyeol responded, “We just wanted to help you.”

“That’s funny, I don’t remember asking for your help.” Sehun said, still clearly furious.

“Have a drink,” Baekhyun said, pushing a shot glass to Sehun, “You might need this now.” He teased.
”Forget it,”

Chanyeol massaged Sehun’s shoulder, “Don’t be so sensitive.” he chuckled. Sehun sighed gustily, “Where are the others?” he asked.

“Clubbing.” Chanyeol answered quickly.

“Lay,” Baekhyun smiled, “Lay is elsewhere,” he teased. Chanyeol nudged him in the arm, asking him to be quiet.

“Where’s Lay?” Sehun asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Didn’t your Haru tell you?” Baekhyun laughed, “He went to dinner with her. Looking dapper than ever.”

“Shut up, Baek.” Chanyeol warned.

Sehun went still for a moment, and all the color draining out from his face. “Is that so?” he asked lowly. He slumped to the bar stool, his hand running through his black hair.

 

“Apparently he had a run in with her this evening,” Chanyeol explained carefully, not to provoke any misunderstanding. “It’s a complete coincidence.”

“More like fate,” Baekhyun giggled, “They both must be having fun now.”

Sehun gulped down the shot, and poured himself another drink, “He’s having fun, huh?” he asked,  quaffing the second glass. "Wonderful," he irked, "That's just wonderful."

Chanyeol realized what’s happening and try to change the entire topic, “So, ah, you’re birthday is coming up,” He said, “What’s your plan? How are you going to celebrate it? What do you want?”

Sehun spoke nothing. He brought the glass at his eye level and kept staring at it, “What’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?”

 

Baekhyun looked at him displeasingly, "Don't tell me you're serious about her." He said, "Half of this world is made up of women. Don't sulk after messing with just one."

Sehun looked at him threateningly, "Don't make me kick your ," he growled. He put down the glass on the table loudly and grabbed his coat, "I'm going home." He said.

Chanyeol looked at him as Sehun exits the bar, looking pissed. He then turned to look at Baekhyun, "I don't understand why you are doing this." he said.

"We need to stop him before things get serious," Baekhyun said, "This might be the best way."

"By provoking him?"

"You think this is going to last? His infactuation towards the girl brings him more harm than good." Baekhyun said while ruffling his hair, "Sehun is my friend too, and I care about him as much as you do. This won't work."

"And how do you know that?" Chanyeol asked sofly, taking the seat next to Baekhyun. "He's finally found someone he trully cares about, and he's lot happier now. Don't deny it, you do notice that."

"Sehun’s initial mindset, due to his traumatic past and abandonment issues, is always that no one could ever love him. It’s not because he doesn’t wish they did, or because he doesn’t believe those people would be capable of loving him." Baekhyun said sadly, " But you know about his father. You do know what that man is capable of. We have to save him before he end up getting hurt again."

 

///

 

“How’s your date with your prince?”

 

“Date, my . It’s horrible!” Haru sighed, lying on her bed. “I was excited when he asked me out, but it was terrible,” she explained to Minzy over the phone. “He must have noticed how awkward I was.”

“What happened?” Minzy asked over the line.

“We went for dinner, and I felt so awkward.” She mumbled, shutting her eyes. “This is so embarrassing.”

“So what you guys talked about?”

“This and that.” Haru said and stopping momentarily, “He thinks I’m gentle, temperate, and nice. I had to act that way around him.” She said, messaging her temples, “But I am not nice all the time. I can be deceptive, jealous, and sometimes I have a bad personality. I can’t show my true self to him without being afraid.” She utters sadly.

“Because you don’t feel comfortable around him,” Minzy told, “You wanted to show him only the best parts of yourself. I think you should relax more.” She advised.

“How can I relax? I can’t even eat properly in front of him.” she said patting her tummy.

“I”m no expert, but dates are supposed to be fun. You think too much. You’re supposed to have fun, even if you look like an idiot in front of him.”

”I don’t think I can act idiotic. Not in front of Lay.” Haru said slowly.