Truth

Mr. Not-so-perfect

Her Sunday did not go well. If she was stressing about her ‘date’ with Lay, that day her mind was wrapped with Sehun. She tried to swallow her anxieties by doing some unnecessary chores.

She didn’t think she mislead him in any way. Well, she invited him to her house once, and cooked him lunch, and let him sleep on her bed, but she never once told him or gestured that she likes him.

 

It’s always been Lay.

 

She had an embarrassing crush on Kris when she was in her freshmen years, but that feelings died long time ago, since she didn’t even take the step to talk to him. Then she liked Lay, although she felt ridiculously self conscious and insecure being around him.

But Sehun was different. She don’t really know why, when she’s with him, she feel relaxed. She didn’t have the need to pretend to be someone else or to put on an act. With him, it was always fun.

“Maybe he just got carried away,” she consoled herself denying his confession, “Maybe he’s just kidding.”

Even when Sehun have the tendency not take any situation seriously, it didn’t look like he was joking although there was a part of her that really hoped he did.

Her hearts pumps out loud when she recalled his confession. She taps her finger impatiently on the table. She remembered his dark eyes staring at her, waiting for her response when he told those words. It was her first time hearing such a heart thumping confession from someone.

After considering for a moment, Haru decided to avoid him, at least in college.

 

//

 

His father’s secretary, Mr Han, walks in and glanced around the room. Sehun was standing by window gazing the sunset.

 

“Excuse me, sir,” the secretary spoke, clearing his throat.

“What?” Sehun answered, not looking at him.

“Your father wants to know whether you liked your gift,”

Sehun pointed at the glass round table in his room. The nicely wrapped small present box remains untouched.

“Don’t you want to know what is inside it?” Mr Han asked, “He picked it out for you specially.”

“Where’s he?” Sehun asked, not answering the question, “Philippines? Malaysia?”

“He’s in a business trip to Japan.”

He chuckled mockingly and continued, “Tell me the truth, is my father having an affair?” he asked, unfazed, “Is that why he missed his beloved son’s birthday?

“No, your father is not having an affair,” Mr Han beseeched, “Your father cares about you. You might not understand now, but everything will make sense later on.”

 

“Action speaks louder than words,” Sehun whispered. “If really cares about me, he should be here the time I needed him.” He dropped his head, “There are times I acted delinquently on purpose. I was hoping he would scold me,” He scratches his eyebrow, “This . I sound like a little kid desperate for attention.” His mouth pulled in that crooked smile.

“I’m working with your father since you were three. I know about him and I know about you.” The secretary stifled a smile.

Sehun said nothing and continued staring at the window. “Mr Han,” he called the secretary out when he’s about leave the room.

“Yes, sir,”

“Does our company provide scholarship for students?” He asked curiously.

 

//

 

The girl in the tight silver dress sat on Baekhyun’s lap and smiles at him before leaning in for a kiss, “I love you,” she whispered. He stops midway and showed a tight smile. “Damn.” He cursed.

 

“Wrong word.” Suho chuckled out loud.

“Hmm, such a shame, you were quite an eye candy.” Xiumin giggled.

“What’s wrong?” The girl asked nervously, turning around to see the boys looking seemingly excited. Baekhyun leans back in his seat, looking completely uninterested.

“You shouldn’t have said that.” He whispered.

The girl still looked confused trying to grasp what he meant, “What?”

“Game over,” he said, before getting her off his lap and hosting her out of the VIP lounge. “Thanks for everything. It was fun. Bye.”

“Wait, please. What’s wron-”

He shut the door in her face, and turned around as if nothing happened.

“You’re harsh, Baek.” Lay laughed, “This one lasted for,” he paused, scratching his head, “Two months?”

“I never count.” He said smugly, before landing on the couch with a glass of champagne in his hand.

 

“Feelings are hard. Love is a game. The rules are simple. Those who are able to control the feeling wins, and those who don’t loses. And I always win.” He smirked. “It’s a pity, not everyone plays the game accordingly,” he said sarcastically, looking at Sehun.

Sehun looked completely unbothered. He sipped on his martini, staring at the screen of his iPhone aimlessly.

“Where were you last night?” Lay asked Sehun.

“I went to see Haru.”

“Haru?” Lay asked confusingly. “Why?”

“This is what happens  if you skip one too many gatherings.” Kyungsoo joked.

“He likes the girl, and he thinks she’s made of gold.” Baekhyun sneered, ”Guess what, this may turn out to be just a glitter.”

“Shut up.” Sehun said, sipping in his drink. “I like her. Haru.” He said to Lay with a tad bit of confidence. It sounded like as if he was informing him. It also sounded between a declaration and a warning.

Lay sat in silence for a few seconds, “Damn, I miss way too much, didn’t I?” He stood to get himself a bottle of cold beer.

“Anyways, why do you always have to see her? Do you have to pay penalty if you miss one day?” Baekhyun asked mockingly.

“No. But I’ll go mad if I didn’t.” Sehun replied calmly.

“You crazy bastard, you’re going to get engaged for gods sake.” Baekhyun scolded, “Even if you don’t like it, you at least have to do it for the sake of your company.”

“I don’t care about power and wealth. I want to marry for love.”

“You want to marry for love?” Baekhyun scoffed. “Marrying for love is like adding extra chili to your meal. It may seem like a good idea at the time, but your stomach will curse you for it in the end.”

 

Baekhyun stood and met the rest of the silenced boys, “Am I the only one who thinks about the future?” he asked, irritated, “There are things you can do, and there are things you cannot do. At the end of the day, you will have to go for the person your father choose. You want to have fun with her, go on, I don’t mind, but don’t get carried away. You’ll end up hurting yourself and her.” He intoned at Sehun.

 

“I won’t hurt her.”

“What?”

“I will never hurt her.”

 

“This is ludicrous, I can’t -,” he stopped, “I need a drink.” Baekhyun said, pulling his own hair. He gulped the shot quickly down his throat. “I gonna get some air,” he announced walking towards the door. He stood there froze seeing the person behind it.

“Yoona is here.” He informed loudly, before nodding slightly and walking past her.

“I think we need some air too,” Kyungsoo said, gesturing the rest of the gang except Sehun to move out of the bar lounge. “We’ll be back soon,” he said before closing the door.

Yoona was dressed in a tight black mini dress, showing more skin than she usually does. She dons a bright red lipstick and her long hair was left untied, looking shiny.

 

“Hi,” She greeted Sehun before taking the seat across him, “I wanted to be with you during your birthday, but I knew you might want to spend it with your friends,” She said, before placing a fancy gift box on the table, “It’s a Rolex watch, custom made, special edition.” She smiled seductively.

She leans back on the couch, crossing her leg, “Try it on. I wanna see,” She asked him.

“Later,”

“Now,” She ordered him.

Sehun lowers his head to glare at her.  “You don’t get to order me,” He hissed.

His eyes falls on her bare shoulders and her bold neckline. He chuckled seeing her being different.

 

“You’re so warped,” He snickered. “The way you look at me gives me the creeps. It’s scary,” He laughed.

She looked muddled with his response at first but later laughed together with him, “This doesn’t suit me, right?” She blushed, looking at her dress.

“Not at all.” He shakes his head. He then leans his head back to the couch, “I don’t mean to offend you, but you’re trying too hard.” He said.

“No matter what I do, you don’t seem to notice,” She said lowly.

 

“I have someone else I like.” He blurted out, “She’s someone who doesn’t like people suffocating her, so I’m playing it nice. I don’t want to be pushy and I don’t want to freak her out,” He admitted, “But the point is, don’t waste your time on me.”

She sat there motionless, her eyebrow drawn sharply together. “You like someone else?” She stammered, dubiously.

He nodded, “Leave,” he said curtly to her.

 

//

 

Chanyeol walked into the library and looked around. There were no sight of Haru. He then walked towards the counter, and saw Minzy instead.

“ Hi, I’m looking for a librarian called Hana,” he inquired, “Any idea where I can find her?”

“There is no one named Hana here,” Minzy answered, “But do you mean Haru?”

Chanyeol narrows his eyes as he regards her, “Yes. Haru, I’m looking for Kim Haru,” he said.

“Sorry, but it’s not her duty today, she’ll be here on Wednesday on wards,” Minzy informed.

Chanyeol stood there contemplating on what he should do. Jolting a bit at the realization, Minzy blinked at him, awkwardly smiling at the serious look on his face. “Do you want leave a message for her?” She asked.

He struggled a bit more, and finally settled on, “Can I talk to you? Are you free?” He asked.

 

**

 

Minzy shifted at her seat uncomfortably, her finger fidgeting. “Is this about Haru?” she finally asked, seeing Chanyeol being as awkward as her.

“Yes,” He said softly, “Look I don’t want you to misunderstand, but there are something I need to know,” he continued, “Sehun likes Haru.”

She nodded, looking completely unfazed, “Well, I thought so, he was quite obvious about it. Anyone could see that,” She said. “But what is there to talk about?”

“I just want to know if Haru feels the same,” he said, slowly, “I don’t want her to pretend that she is interested.”

“Are you saying Haru is playing around with Sehun’s feelings?” Minzy asked, raising her eyebrow, looking offended, “Is that what you mean?”

“No, not at all,” He quickly defended. “I’m sorry if I gave you the wrong idea,” He grimaced in apology.

“I think it’s up to both of them to decide, I don’t think its right for others to in,” She scoffed, cutting him off.

 

Chanyeol looked disdainful of her reaction,“I’m his friend, and I’m here because I’m worried about him. I don’t know how people perceive Sehun, but he is actually a lonely person. When Sehun likes someone, he loves them with everything he has and he doesn’t hold back. It doesn’t matter to him whether if his feelings are reciprocated. That’s why he end up getting hurt the most,” He says awkwardly, “Its okay if they are just messing around, but if things get serious, it might cause a problem,” Chanyeol tries to address the case ambiguously without mentioning Sehun’s real identity.

 

Minzy sighed out loud, “If you think Sehun is the only one who’s having a difficult time, well you are wrong, Haru had it tough too,” She pointed out, “She grew up without her father, so its usual for her not to show any hardships she’s been through. Just because she doesn’t show, it doesn’t mean she’s okay. She’s a fragile person. She never cries, not even in front of me, but she’s probably holding a lot in. Instead of asking her to be understanding, why don’t you understand her?” Minzy frowned, before changing her mind after a few seconds later, “Anyway, why must she do anything? It wasn’t Sehun she likes after all.”

 

Chanyeol stared at her, a shock permeating him, “What do you mean by it wasn’t Sehun she like?” He asked, shaking his head in confusion, “She likes someone else?”

“Lay,” Minzy answered, “She likes Lay. Why don’t you ask Sehun, he knows it too.” She said with a forced smile.