Treat

Mr. Not-so-perfect

“You’re really pushing it, aren’t you?”

“I don’t know what you talking about.” Tao said innocently, when he entered the convenience store, “I’m getting bored with ramen, anything else you want to recommend?”

Haru took a deep breath and pointed to the second column, “Kimbap, the one in red.” He smiled and went to the section, analyzing the varieties, “You sure the red one taste good?” he asked, not convinced by the suggestion, “There’s a lot of choices here.”

”Trust me, I’ve eaten most of the food here.”She replies calmly. He chuckled and brought 2 of those to the counter, “You’re going to eat with me right?” he asked.

“I’m sorry customer, but I’m working now,” she scoffed. He turned to look at the entrance door and then to her, “There’s no customers.” he said mockingly. “Don’t play hard to get, come on.”

“I’m not playing hard to get!” she scowled, when he took the kimbap and walked towards the eating area. She followed him quietly after a few seconds. “Why do you always look tired?” she asked, when he slumped into the chair. He smirked while massaging his temples with his pale fingers.

“Training,” he said simply. He unwrapped the kimbap and hastily shoved it in his mouth, devouring it without tasting. “I’m stressed out lately,” he admitted, “Maybe that’s why I look like a mess.”

“If you’re stressed out, shouldn’t you be resting?”

“That’s why I came here to see and talk to you, to de-stress myself,” he laughed meekly, “Ironic, isn’t it? Asking help from an enemy?”

Haru sat up farther in her chair. She never see him being this casual and candid. Although she don’t quite understand him, she could at least see how important this is to him.

“Why are you training so hard?”

“Because one wrong move, and I’m doomed. I can’t afford to lose to him in everything.” he said, sadly.

Haru remembered her conversations with Lay this morning.

It’s for a girl.

“Can I be nosy?” Haru asked, with a faint smile. ‘I want to ask you something.” she said.

He turned his head and flashed one of his grins.

“Why are you keen on winning Sehun, specifically?”

Tao kept silent for a while, staring at the motorcycles behind the large glass window. “I’ll tell you something,” he started slowly, “There’s someone I consider precious, someone I want to hold on to until now. Although she don’t have feelings for me any longer.”

Haru stared blankly at him.

 

“You know the feeling? When someone you considered to be the best thing in your life, suddenly leaves you and it creates a huge void in your heart? No matter how much you try to hide it, it’s just there.”he said.

 

“Who’s she?” Haru asked, softly.

“Im Yoona.” he answered. “The prettiest girl in our school.” He looked at her for a moment and then frowned. “You don’t understand anything, do you?” he asked.

Haru shakes her head, confusedly.

“There’s a girl I liked, she liked me too, and we dated for a while. Then she liked someone else. And so, I was dumped.” he said, as a matter-of-factly.

“And that guy is Oh Sehun?”

He nodded.

“But I’m curious,” he said, cupping his chin with his hand, “When you are in love, you cherish all the moments together, you think they were precious. But right after you break up, you feel hatred and resentment towards that person. Where does all the love go? And why would you try hard to forget all the moments that once you cherished so much?”

 

“Because good memories are more depressing than the bad ones,” she replied taking the other kimbap.

 

“But why are you doing this for her? To a girl who left you?” she asked in disbelief.

 

“When you love someone, and had to let them go, there’s always a part of you that will ask, what is it you wanted and why didn’t you fight for it?”

 

Haru let out a small laugh, “Now I get it, I used to see you as this creepy playboy, but now, you seem different.”
Tao raised his eyebrow in question, “How different?”

“You’re dating different girls because you’re hurt. The truth is, you’re finding for that girl in everyone else.” She too, stared at the glass window, “I’ll always support for my college, but” She paused and took a big bite, “good luck.”

He smiled fondly but his smile disappear after a while, “Does it matter?” he asked, “Even if I win this, does it matter? It’s not that I can get her back.” he said sullenly.

“Then don’t do it for her, do it for yourself.” She looked at him, “When you break up with someone, there’s a lot of changes in you. You will want to show that you’re happier, more confident even without that person. So win this for yourself. Not for anyone, but for yourself.”

Tao’s face was open and vulnerable, “For myself,” he murmured, in a voice that matches his eyes.

 

//

 

 

“I should treat you some other day.” Haru blushed.

“You should, this cake is expensive.” Lay joked.

Haru looked up in uncertainly for a moment and broke into a grin. Lay was in navy blue shirt, with dark colored jeans. He looked radiant, tall and handsome. He looked like the kind of guys in the cover of romance books.

“I can’t guess you,” he said suddenly. “Some girls eat the strawberry first, some, the cake, but you eat both together,” he said with a small laugh. “I wonder what kind of person are you.”

“Ah, is this like guessing a person from the song in their play list?”

“Something like that.”

They were both in the college’s cafe, but it seems that his presence dominated all. He seemed relax and calm.

 

“Lay.” a voice greeted him. Haru shut her eyes in annoyance for a second, after knowing the familiar voice. She cut her gaze to the right to see Sehun, wearing a pretty gray and black shirt, his dark black combed nicely, but his eyes looked like he was sleep deprived for at least two days.

 

“Hi,” Lay greeted him back. Sehun took the spot beside him, and glanced at Haru who clearly looked like she wasn’t happy about having him there. They both didn’t greet and was glaring at each other.

“Something wrong?” Lay asked, noticing the tension.

“Nothing at all. We’re completely fine.” Sehun answered, not looking at him. “Baek was looking for you,” he said, “He said it was something about the adviser wanting to see you.”

“I forgot!” Lay jumped from his seat, “I totally forgot,” he said, glancing at Haru hurriedly, “I’m so sorry, I need to go now, but we’ll see each other later,” he said apologetically.

“It’s fine.” Haru replied, “No big deal.”

Lay patted on Sehun’s shoulder before grabbing his coat from the bench and left. Sehun was looking at Haru, his face hard and he was accessing her.

“You must be so happy. Smiling from ear to ear when talking to him. Your eyes shine brightly and you’re even wearing lip gloss.” He said, putting his bag beside him, "You must be enjoying this.”

She nodded but she didn’t look at him. She wiped using a tissue and pushed the small plate away. They both sat in silence for a while.

“You do know this is a waste of effort right?” he asked, gently.

A complete waste of effort," she answered brightly, as though the admission meant little to her. She gazed solemnly at him, however.

 

A complete waste of effort.

 

For some reason Sehun wanted to stress the point. But, drawn to her at that moment, he felt a quiet like the voice of the rain flow over him. He knew well enough that for her it was in fact no waste of effort.

“Do you really like him that much?” he breathed relentlessly. ‘Why?” he stared at his knotted fingers. “Why do you like him?”

“This is my chance.”She muttered, “ Do you really need a reason to like someone? Sometimes you just do.”

She gets up from her seat, grabbing her bag. “I have to go now.” She announced.

“Don’t.”

She scoffed, “I said it before, and I’ll say it again. I’m not your toy.” she said seriously. “You can’t just summon me anytime you want.”

“I’m really busy right now, but I came to see you. Do you want to keep talking to me like that?” He asked angrily.

That wasn’t the reaction she expected from him. She did felt guilty trying to avoid him, but she didn’t want him to tramp and walk over her again.

“I’m not avoiding you, if that answers your question,” she assured him, “I just have class now.”

He said nothing and stared blankly at her. Then he nodded wordlessly.

 

//

 

“Your father did it again.” Baek Hyun said, showing his phone to Sehun. “He took over another company. It’s all over the internet.”

Sehun slouched in the chair, looking unbothered. He was playing with the Rubik cube and wasn’t paying attention to the conversation.

“Whose is it this time?” Xiumin asked, biting an apple.

“Choi’s.” Baek Hyun answered, “I like the Choi’s.” he said, a little hesitantly.

“Minho sunbae?” Sehun asked, not lifting his eyes from the cube.

“Yes. Minho's sunbae's family business.”

“But why?” Suho asked, “Aren’t the Choi’s your father’s family friend?”

Sehun laughed bitterly, “My father work together when it suits him, he stays loyal when it suits him and he kills when it suits him,” he said, lifting the solved cube, “Everything is just a matter of business for him.”

 

The boys sat in silence for a few moments.

 

“No wonder they call him a bloodsucker,” Chanyeol said, “He rips his opponents out, stems and roots. I don't think the Choi's can recover from this. This is it for them.”

“How come there is no article about you? You're the heir, after all.” Kai asked, doubtedly swifting the topic. “Aren’t the Dispatch team good at this? Watching every move and taking secret pictures and even writing an article  about you getting your own damn coffee?"

“His father pays good money, to keep Sehun from the light.” Kyungsoo answered. “To make sure no one knows Sehun is the Oh Sehun.” He chuckled.

“That’s the least he can do,” Sehun said.

“But can you imagine if the girls know who you really are? They’ll be throwing themselves at you.”Chen joked.

Sehun looked up and scowled. “I’m not interested in that.” he declared. It was true somehow. He always get the attention from the girls, but none was brave enough to date him. It was as if they like admiring him from far, but they were too scared to take the step.

“How boring,” Baek Hyun said, his eyes opaque and his brown eyes shine brightly. “Have you even had your first kiss yet?” he asked horrified, “You’re too slow for your age.”

“And you’re too advanced,” Chanyeol mocked.