[Kaisoo] Lulled in These Flowers

Collection of EXO Short Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Genre: Highschool!au, fluff, romance, humor

Rated: PG

Word Count: 2.4k words

Pairing: Kaisoo

Requested by: N/a

Short Description: Jongin paints while Kyungsoo acts, and he used to be completely okay with that.

 

Jongin's always had a thing for the arts.

 

So when he was a Freshman and saw his first sign-up paper for a school play, he instantly knew that he wanted to be a part of that experience. (And though dancing's his number one passion, he was already part of a small dance crew outside of school, so he decided to sign up to be a scenic artist instead.)

 

Now as a Junior, he's already prepared to paint some more backgrounds and scenery again (while also sneaking glances at the actors every now and then).

 

And he's always been fairly fine with being in the background when it comes to these plays--not having his name on the second page of pamphlets, and not having to act in front of all those hot, bright lights. But sometimes, just sometimes, he wonders what it's like to be an actor.

 

And it may or may not have to do with one of the actors who joined the crew last year. A cute now-Senior guy named Kyungsoo.

 

Thing is, Jongin never really had a crush on Kyungsoo like this until one day last year when Kyungsoo had stopped by where Jongin and the rest of the paint-crew work at to compliment them on their work. Kyungsoo had smiled the cutest heart-shaped smile then, and Jongin's heart had started beating so fast that he thinks it could've made for a sick- rap beat.

 

Unfortunately, they had (and still have) no actual classes together, so Jongin only saw/sees him in the hallways and after school. But as he thinks fate would have it, whenever they do cross paths, Kyungsoo greets him with a bright smile and a Hi, Jongin and Jongin replies with a shy, Hey, Kyungsoo in return.

 

---

 

Just some days after they've all started this new school year, Jongin and the rest of the crew-members gather around on stage to listen as their director talks a bit about this year's play. Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

 

Though it's the gay version; where Titania and Hippolyta kiss, and others dance and sing and the like. Kyungsoo's gonna be playing a guy who kisses another guy (this super-tall Senior guy named Kris). And just the thought of having to see the two of them kiss makes Jongin want to catapult himself into space.

 

---

 

Luckily (or unluckily for their director), Kris keeps choking at the kiss part, and so after multiple attempts of him trying to act in love and making their director face-palm too many times--Kris quits and the spot of Kyungsoo's love interest goes up for grabs.

 

"Alright..." their director says, letting out a deep sigh. "Which of you would like to replace Kris' spot, hm?"

 

No one raises their hand, probably scared of being judged (at least, Jongin is), and Kyungsoo awkwardly adjusts his round, black glasses before suddenly locking eyes with Jongin. Jongin's lip part in awe like usual at the eye-contact before he flinches when their director suddenly calls out, You! Jongin!

 

Jongin flits wide eyes to them. "Y-yes?"

 

"Let's see what you can do."

 

Some of his fellow crew-members murmur in surprise at this and Jongin feels his hands start to get sweaty. He then glances at Kyungsoo, whose eyes are equally wide, before looking back at their director.

 

"Wha--m-me?" he asks.

 

"Yes, yes--you, Jongin. Now come along--show us what you've got," their director replies.

 

So, with his cheeks raising as he blushes, Jongin gets up from his seat and walks past some of his confused crew-members to join Kyungsoo up at the front of the stage.

 

And the thing is, he does know Kris' old lines. (It's not like he'd been day-dreaming that Kris would fail and he'd get to usurp his position or anything like that...) But, for this to actually be happening...it makes Jongin feel like he's having a lucid dream.

 

And as he stares down into Kyungsoo's beautiful dark-brown eyes framed by those cute glasses of his, he feels his stomach rumble around with numerous butterflies while his mind effectively goes blank. Kyungsoo stares right back up at him for a good moment, before giving him a gentle smile and grabbing onto one of his hands.

 

The other members from the cast and crew let out dramatic Ooh's at that, causing Kyungsoo to look down and let out a shy giggle as his ears start to turn red. Jongin, on the other hand, feels like he's about to hyper-ventilate from how soft and warm Kyungsoo's hand is (and from how cute his giggle sounded too). Then, Kyungsoo gets further into acting-mode, and his expression softens even more as he looks back up at him and says his fifth line during this last act. And Jongin feels everything else tune out as he stares, feeling so enraptured by Kyungsoo's...everything.

 

After saying his short monologue, Kyungsoo lets go of his hand (causing Jongin to internally whine) and then lifts it up to cup the right side of Jongin's face. Jongin's eyelids lower a bit at the nice feeling and Kyungsoo pauses for a moment as he gazes up at him.

 

Jongin's already forgotten if this is actually a part of the scene or not as he involuntarily smiles. He's just already imagining them kissing, and then dating, and then getting married, and living in a house on a green field with a farm with like five dogs because he's heard Kyungsoo mention in passing that he wants to grow his own crops one day and--

 

"Jongin," Kyungsoo whispers, snapping him out of his mini-daydream. "Y-your line."

 

"Uh--um..."

 

Jongin then glances at his crew-members, before blushing some more when he sees the teasing, knowing smiles on his friends' faces. He then looks back down at Kyungsoo, who gives him a small, encouraging smile and repeats his line after their director asks for him to. Then, Jongin clears his throat and (

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter