Prom Date [Suchen]

Collection of EXO Short Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Genre: Fluff, slight!angst, highschool!au, slight!humor, mutual pining

Rated: PG

Word Count: 1.7k words

Pairing: Suchen

Requested by: N/a

Short Description: With prom, comes stupid misunderstandings.

 

For Jongdae, it all started two years ago during their first ever homeroom class, when their teacher had been doing roll-call.

 

Jongdae had been busy marveling at the décor of the place; holiday lights, psychedelic posters, weird mannequins and all, when he heard the most angelic-sounding voice call out a Present! when their name was called.

 

When he turned to see who had answered, the teacher had already moved on to the person beside him, and so it wasn't until the next row that he realized that the pretty voice hadn't come from the guy at the front of the class but instead from the guy closer to the middle.

 

When the teacher finally called out his own full name, the guy who would become his best friend had turned to look at him and smiled a little. And for Jongdae, those glittering eyes framed by circle glasses made his heart start to beat faster, while Junmyeon admitted that he was just interested because they shared the same last name. Heck, he smiled at everyone in their class, but for Jongdae, the smile seemed to linger a little longer.

 

And Jongdae would love to say that right after that they became the best of friends, but no. They didn't become close until halfway through that first year when they shared a math class for the second semester.

 

Now, they're juniors and Jongdae gets to cling to Junmyeon without reproach and steal fries from him, poke him in the cheek, and back-hug him to his heart's content. And though Junmyeon doesn't always reciprocate with physical actions, he always gives Jongdae a small smile in return and Jongdae figures that he could be fine with their friendship staying like this. That is, until Prom rolls around and the topic of dates comes up between them.

 

"...I don't think I'm going," Junmyeon says one day during lunch.

 

They're both sitting outside on one of the benches near a cherry blossom tree, and Jongdae who was previously playing a game on his phone, looks up at him with parted lips.

 

"Say what?" He pauses his game and pockets his phone to lean in to Junmyeon. Junmyeon looks at him for a long second before looking away--leading to Jongdae pouting. "Why not?"

 

Junmyeon's been fantasizing about going to prom ever since they were freshmen. Suddenly, the image of Junmyeon's ex pops into his mind and Jongdae lets out a snort in distaste.

 

"Don't tell me it's 'cause of Mike..."

 

Junmyeon turns to him--looking offended. "No, it's not--it's just..." He trails off.

 

Jongdae subconsciously mirrors Junmyeon's saddening expression and places a hand on Junmyeon's without thinking. "Just what, Jun?"

 

Junmyeon doesn't respond but lets him keep his hand there as he looks away again. And Jongdae's too preoccupied with trying to turn his frown upside down to notice how red Junmyeon's ears are or how sweaty his palms have become. Jongdae then lets out a Hm? and lifts his hand up from Junmyeon's and Junmyeon finally turns to him again, but with his eyes lowered.

 

"Promise you won't tell anyone," Junmyeon whispers, lifting his gaze to look at him.

 

Then, the sun's rays hit him right at that moment and he scrunches up his face and takes off his glasses to rub at his eyes. Jongdae freezes, his stomach roaring with butterflies, and his mind and heart wanting him to lean in and kiss the ever living daylights out of his best friend. Instead of doing that though, he simply gulps and nods.

 

Junmyeon frowns as he puts on back his glasses. "C'mon, say it."

 

Jongdae gives a wobbly smile, his breath still caught in his throat from how captivating Junmyeon looked just then. How captivating he always looks.

 

"Nah, I'll do ya one better," Jongdae finds himself saying before he lifts a pinky finger to him.

 

Junmyeon looks down at his finger with a lifted eyebrow before his lips curl up a tad and he lifts his own pinky to make a pinky promise. Their pinkies curl around each other and they lean in their hands to press their thumbs together for a moment before letting go. Jongdae internally melts when he notices how...different Junmyeon's eyes looked just then.

 

"So...why don't you wanna go?" Jongdae asks, his voice softer than usual.

 

Junmyeon takes a moment to answer, now staring down at his own hands on his la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter