The Right Thing to Do

The Precious One

 

My cab was stopped in front of a big house. After I paid the driver, I walked towards the front gates. The guards opened the door instantly when they saw me.

“Welcome, Sanghee-ssi. Sunggyu sajangnim has already waited for you,” one of the guard bowed to me. I smiled at him and nodded lightly before I entered the house.

The first thing that welcomed me was the brigade of maids who were bowing at me right after I took a step in. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

How many times should I tell them that bowing to me is unnecessary? I mentally face palmed. It was not like I could change their habit ‘though, since I already told them that umpteenth times, yet they still did it every time I came here.

I just smiled and nodded at them while continue walking to my brother’s workroom.

I opened the door right after I stood in front of it.

“Knock, knock,” I beamed at him while allowing myself to get in. Sunggyu stared at me amusedly.

“Honestly, Hee-ya,” he took his glasses off and put it on the table. “I don’t get why you and Sangeun always do that,” he shook his head. “It’s clear that you or Sangeun has stood in front of me, so what’s the point of saying ‘knock, knock’ every time you enter this room?”

“For a politeness purpose?” I shrugged carelessly and sat on the sofa across his chair. Sunggyu gave me ‘you-must-be-kidding-me’ look before he got up and took some drinks from his personal refrigerator inside the room. He gave me a can of orange juice before he plopped down next to me and opened his own drink.

I lifted my orange juice and stared at him with ‘what-the-heck-is-this’ look.

“What?” he innocently asked when he caught my look. “I can’t take any risk of you being drunk when you’re on your way home later, right?”

I rolled my eyes, but said nothing. Instead, I opened my juice and drank it quietly.

“Where’s Chorong Eonni, Oppa?” I asked him when I sensed that his house was pretty silence. Even after his children left the house to have their own way, the house was normally still noisy because Chorong, Sunggyu’s wife, always be able to bring up the spirit in this house. Chorong was a typically cheerful loud woman, who will be the mood maker whenever we have family gathering. It was pretty strange to be in Sunggyu’s house without her loud bubbling inside the house.

“She is visiting his parents,” Sunggyu replied while sipping his drink.

“And how come you didn’t come with her?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Nah, I prefer to spent my time with my little Hee-ya more,” he flashed me his eyesmile.

His answer made me felt guilty.

“Mianhae, Oppa,” I muttered. “Because of my sudden appearance, you couldn’t go with your wife,” I added with a culpable face.

Sunggyu just laughed and waved it off.

“It’s alright, Hee-ya,” he hugged me. “You and Sangeun will always be my priority. You know that, right?”

I couldn’t help but smile at his statement.

How lucky I am to have a such a wonderful brother like you.

I tightened my hug and inhaled his calm scent deeply. We stayed like that for a while before Sunggyu decided to break the silence.

“So, what is it that you want me to help, Hee-ya?” I widened my eyes and broke our hug immediately.

“How do you know that I need your help?” I stared at him, half confused, half amazed. “I barely uttered any word!”

“Puh-lease,” Sunggyu rolled his eyes. “We are sibling, Hee-ya. I know you all of your life. You’re as easy as an open book for me to read.”

I snorted at his cocky comment.

“What? You know I’m right,” he shrugged nonchalantly. “So, Sweety,” he took my hands and squeezed it. He looked at me with full concerned eyes. “Say it.”

I stared at him for a moment, at his warmth and wisdom eyes.

That’s it.

I started to tell him everything, everything that I knew and I felt. From the first time I suspected Hoya when I found the lipstick stain on his clothes; the started of the chaos in our family, Heeyoun’s pregnancy, Minwoo’s sudden change of attitude, Hoya’s strange behavior; until today, when I met Jung Eunji, my husband’s mistress. I talked to him what I felt during the chaos that happened to our family. I revealed all of my hidden feeling that even Sangeun didn’t know about it.

By the end of my story, I was a bucket mess of tears. But somehow, Sunggyu managed to pull me into his firm arms between my story. So I snuggled closer to him while trying to maintain myself calm –not so success, I told you. I was still sobbing quietly in his embrace.

“So, Oppa,” I said, my voice was hoarse for talking while crying. “What should I do know?”

There was a silent moment.

“Hee-ya,” he called me gently. “Should I be the one to ask, what do you really want to do now?”

I thought for a while.

What do I want to do in this situation?

“I don’t know,” I answered him honestly. “I’m so confused. I can’t even thinking straight right now. That’s why, I come to you. I want you to help me solve this problem.”

Sunggyu sighed and pulled out of the hug. He looked at me intensely.

“Then, let me asked you,” his intense stared went through my soul. “Do you want your marriage to be saved?”

“Of course,” I replied almost so soon. “I don’t want our marriage to end up being wrecked.”

“Why so?”

“Because that is what we suppose to do,” I sighed. “We’ve been marrying to each other for more than 20 years now, Oppa. I can’t just let things get in our way and separated us. What will Appa and Eomma said? Won’t they be disappointed? What about Minwoo and Heeyoun too?”

“So that is because of them?” Sunggyu narrowed his small eyes until to the extent when I couldn’t see them clearly. “Is it because of what the other’s thought? Not because of your thought?”

I opened my mouth to answer him, but closed it again.

I was in the loss of words.

“Now, Hee-ya,” he asked me again, “Tell me, do you still love Hoya?”

I was going to said, “Of course! I still love him” when I opened my mouth.

Until some memories flashed in my mind.

The way Hoya treated me recently.

The way he yelled at me whenever he thought I was at fault.

His cynical smiles. His venomous words. His cold shoulder.

And last, his sudden happy mood whenever he has to “stay at his office late because of busy works”.

After all the time he mistreated me…

…Do I still love him?

“I-I…” Being placed under Sunggyu’s concerned eyes, I suddenly didn’t know anymore. “I… Guess… I still love him?” My statement came as a question instead.

“Hee-ya,” Sunggyu sighed. “Please, don’t lie to yourself.”

“I’m not!” I said, almost defensively. “I do love him, Oppa!”

“Then why did you need some time to answer those simple question, Hee-ya?” he retorted calmly. “And what’s with your answer? ‘I guess’? Ha! That’s the prove that you are doubting your feeling to him.”

His words hit me hard.

“Hee-ya,” Sunggyu called me endearingly when I didn’t give him any reply. “You say you wanna save your marriage’s life with Hoya. You said you don’t wanna disappointed our parents. You also reasoned that you did it for the sake of your children. But I haven’t heard any reason that you did it because you yourself want it. Why?”

I lowered my head and chose to ignore his question.

“Now, Hee-ya,” Sunggyu gently lifted my chin and made me staring straight to his eyes. “Can you look at me and say boldly that you still love Hoya?”

I just kept looking at him, unable to fulfill his request.

Why does my feeling waver all of sudden?

“So, what you wanna say is, that I better divorced with him?” Instead of answer him, I threw a question back to Sunggyu.

“I didn’t say anything near that,” Sunggyu took his hands off my chin. “But do you?” He asked me back. “Do you think that the divorce is the right thing to do?”

“Actually, I’m not so sure about it,” I hung my head down, playing with my fingers. “I have thought about it before. But, Oppa,” I looked at him again, ”Don’t you think that divorced is a big thing? It’s not an easy issue to deal with.”

He was in silent for a moment.

“Hee-ya, answer me,” All of sudden, he said to me seriously. “Why do you think people want to marry each other?”

What… The…?

What type of question is that?!

Sunggyu must have read my confused face, since he said firmly, “Just answer me.”

“Mm...” I thought for a while. “To have children?” I said as the matter of fact.

“And?” He lifted an eyebrow.

“Because they loved each other, and wanna claim each other as theirs?”

“The other reason?”

“Because they are sure that they have found ‘the right one’, and they are ready to make commitment to each other?”

“You are near there, dear.”

I was in silent for a moment. Although I had no idea, where Sunggyu would drag this ‘Q&A session’, I still did my best to think the right answer for his so-called weird question.

“You forget the most important reason, Sweety,” Sunggyu spoke after a moment. “People marry each other,” he looked at me gently, “Because they want to live happily for every moment in the rest of their life with the partners they chose.”

I gawked at his sentence.

“Now, tell me, Sweetheart,” his voice sounded demanding, yet so gentle. “Are you, Lee Sanghee, happy with your marriage right at this moment, with the partner you’ve chosen?

Not so surprisingly, I found myself struggling to answer that simple question.


 

O…kay .__.

First, my beloved readers and subscribers, I’m so sorry that I went MIA for more than a month. *deep bowing*

I know that it's a lame excuse... You probably have tired of this same reason.. But my college has started, and I was –and still amdrowned by the assignments that were given.

It’s no help, at all, that this semester happened to be my FINAL SEMESTER in my Studienkolleg (Preparation’s Class of University)… Which means, the result for this semester will have a BIG IMPACT in my university’s life, since the notes will decide whether I get the best university or not… And since I am aiming HTW Berlin, I have to work extra hard because the minimal notes to entry there are really no joke -.-

So… I’m so so so sorry for the lack update. :( *bowing again*

And… Another bad news…

I may take a long hiatus once I felt that the ‘pressure’ (of this semester) finally dawn to me.

It’s not like I often update this story now, ‘though… It's merely an announcement, so that you wouldn’t look for me if I suddenly ‘disappear’ and this story won’t be update for months. That is, if there any of you who will looking for me~ xD *lol~ who do you think you are, Ly? xD #beingslapped*

I... Really can’t promise anything… :( All I can say is, please give me a chance to make it right~ xD *singing Teen Top's 'To You'* :ppp #beingkickedhard I’ll try my best to update this story often. But in case I DO take long hiatus, I’ll make sure that I’ll update this story before the end of December 2012.

I’m really sorry. Please understand me and my pathetic hectic life. m(_ _)m

Anyway, I hope you like this chapter! :)) Don’t hesitate to leave your piece of thought in the comment section! :D Like always, commenters, readers, and the subscribers will be really appreciated! ^^

 

Until next time~ :))