Of The Confusion and Tiredness

The Precious One

 

After Heeyoun was away, I could tell you that there were big difference happened in our house.

First, of course, I couldn’t see my daughter as often as I want anymore. We –as in, me and Minwoo– made it sure to always visit Heeyoun every weekend. But still, weekend just came once in a week. And every time we visit her, we just could spend our time together for hours. It was nothing compared the hours in a week that I have to pass without her.

Second, ever since Heeyoun left, Minwoo started to be more open. He always made any conversation every time we stayed at home. His ‘cold shell’ was started to melt. Even his childish attitude towards me was back! Nothing could describe my happiness because of his completely change attitude in a good way.

There were so many different happened, both in good way and bad way. But still, there was the only one remained alike.

Hoya.

I sighed for umpteenth times. I glanced around the big living room, which I currently sat at. The bitter smile lingered my lips.

We used to share the warmth of our family here. But now… I don’t know anymore.

My sight wandered to my little flower garden in front of our house. The colorful flowers usually could give me relax effect, yet in this time, it couldn’t. I shift my gaze again towards the TV in front of me, but my mind was never focused to those box.

Truthfully, when I was agreed to send Heeyoun into that school, I thought it would be a better change for all of us. Heeyoun wouldn’t be suffered anymore because of Hoya’s spiteful words; Minwoo wouldn’t has something more to worry about beside his school; and Hoya would feel better because he wouldn’t see Heeyoun that much.

Heeyoun. I didn’t know since when, but everytime Hoya talked about her now, he always called her the disgraceful daughter. And as much as I wanted to argue about it, our debat would always be the same: Hoya spat venomous words towards me, blamed me for being such a failure mother who couldn’t watch over her children well, and then he left to who-knows-where after banged the door violently. Then after he left, I would be stayed there, crying my heart out, questioning my self about what I did wrong to cause all of this drama in my life.

Pathetic.

I laid my head in the back of the sofa, one arm covered my eyes. I was tired. Really, really tired of all this problems.

How many times have I said this? Still, if I could turn back the time, I would back to our most happiness moment. And maybe, prevent all of those issues to happen.

A tear fell from the corner of my eyes. A hidden tear, which I always conceal whenever I face Heeyoun and Minwoo in order to make them strong. After all, we couldn’t be all weak, could we? There should be at least a person who has to be strong, a person who the others could rely on. And as their mother, I took that role. Even though it was so hard to act like the strongest one, even though I have to hide my own pain, if it could help my children to be more ease, then I wouldn’t think twice to do it.

For the sake of our children, the mothers can do anything.

Anything, ‘till the extent to rip their own heart to make their children happy.

My train of thought cut suddenly by the rang phone near my seat.

“Yeoboseyo?” I answered without looked at the id caller, as usual.

“Sanghee Eonni?”

“Oh… Sangeun-ie, wae geurae (what’s it)?”

“Uhmm… I wonder if we can meet today? There’s something I’m going to tell you.”

“Sure, dear. Where will we meet?”

“What about the Light Café? The ones near the station?”

“Alright, baby dongsaeng. I’ll meet you at 1pm?”

“Yeah, sure. See you, eonni. Saranghae.”

“Na do saranghae (I love you too), dongsaeng-ie.”

I frowned a bit. There was something strange in Sangeun’s tone. Like the tone when you hesitant to say something, but you have to do it nevertheless.

I shrugged off, trying to think positive.

Maybe it is just me. Overreacted…. Or at least, I hope so.

*****

I walked into the Café once I’ve parked my car. I looked around to find Sangeun.

“Sanghee Eonni!”

I glance towards the direction of the voice. There my little sister was, waved her hand, signaled me to come over.

“No hug for me today?” I joked while I sat in front of her. That was pretty strange, since Sangeun was known as skinship Princess in our family. She would automatically tackle us into bear hug every time she saw me, Gyu Oppa, or our parents.

As if that wasn't weird enough, instead of replied me with another comeback, protest, or whining like she always did, she just smiled at me.

A weak smile.

All of sudden, my heart felt uneasy. It was as if I have intuition, whatever Sangeun told me, would hurt me. Still, I was dying to know about it.

Seeing Sangeun uneasy and hesitant to speak, I decided to be straight forward and asked her the matters.

“Baby dongsaeng,” I called her, trying to sound calm. “What’s the thing you’re going to tell me?”

Sangeun stiffened and avoided the eye contact by looked out of the window. I grabbed her hand assuringly, and she staring back at me almost instantly. Then at the time, I could see the emotion of her eyes.

Scared.

Worried.

Apologized.

Wait… Why would she apologize to me?

At that moment, I knew immediately.

There’s something bad that’s gonna be revealed.

Really, really bad.