Pretty Boy, Pretty Girl

For You

image

(gif credit)

My brother was taking the rest of the weekend off to spend some time with me, he himself was sarting to feel slightly burned out from working overtime every single night. He usually doesn't even come but sleeps at the office to save on time, which is why I rarely see him.

“I’m going to start coming home more often, I’ll have to cut off my working hours, but that will have to do.” My reaction to seeing him must have been more impactful than I thought. He’d been thinking the entire previous night.

We were currently strolling down the Han River, our favorite place to be at when we were still kids.

“Will that be Ok?” What I really meant was ‘will we be fine?’ but I’m not going to ask that.

He looks down at me, reassuringly. “Of course, the loan is paid off soon and there is nothing else we need to worry about.” He puts his hand on my shoulder. “And don’t even think about working more than you are. You are already working more than you told me.”

I look at him defiantly. “I don’t know what you are talking about, as you were able to see, I was not working yesterday when you came in.”

He gives me the 'don’t play me’ look. “You weren’t working? Ok, let’s pretend I believe you. But what were you doing with three guys, alone?”

Oh, oh, I should have just kept my mouth shut.

I shrug and avoid eye contact. “Nothing much, one of them is in my class and the others are his,” What should I say? Friends, Hyungs? I settle for the latter. “They’re his Hyungs.”

“Mhm.” With his eyebrows raised warily, we go and take a seat in front of the River on the steps.

Being here again after a long time makes me feel melancholy. Things have changed, but the waves will stay the same.
Flowing freely and unstoppable, just like time itself.

I lean my head on his shoulder, feeling drained. “I was working yesterday but Auntie gave me the day off when she realized how overworked I was. I missed the bus and my friends were waiting with me.” I was already calling them friends even though yesterday was the first time meeting them. “Then you showed up.”

“That’s very nice of her.” I could feel him smiling down at me, but my eyes were far away, trying not to go there, but my brother knew me too well. “It made you miss Mom, right?”

At the mentions of our mother the wall cracks. “Eoh.” Tears well up. Trying to hold back a sob, my body tenses up.

My brother sighs next to me. “Me, too.” I close my eyes not letting the tears fall.
Together, leaning on each other, as we’ve done for years, we sit there, our thoughts far away, reminiscing.

Eventually, my brother lifts his head and faces me. “Are you hungry?”

I rub my stomach. “A little bit, I’m actually rather thirsty.”

He stands up and brushes the back of his pants. “I’ll get you something from over there, you just wait here. I’ll be right back.”

I nod my head and he leaves.
Looking at the water and the people on the field, I wish I had taken my camera with me but my phone will do for now. Getting it from my bag, I see that I had received a message.

I probably hadn’t noticed because I had put it on silent as I wanted to enjoy my time with my brother.
Clicking on it I see that I didn’t receive a message but an image. Due to the sun reflecting off of the screen I could not see exactly what it showed.

Walking to a more shadowed area, I take a look again and burst into fits of giggles.

'V-Hyung wanted me to send this to you’

Attached to that message was a selca of Taehyung, but it wasn’t just any selca, it showed him pulling a funny face, nose like a pig and cross-eyed.

'kekeke looks cute’

I respond with a content smile on my face.

'are you sure he’s cute?’

'eoh, the cutest’

Teasing him was the best.

'you sure? cuter than the 'bear’?’

My cheeks start feeling sore from all the grinning.

'hm…. I don’t remember how the 'bear’ looks like’

For the next few minutes, I don’t get a reply from him, which made me think that he was back to working again. Just as I am about to walk back to the river my phone vibrates again.

An image again.

This one a little bit different, showing not Taehyung but Jungkook. He had his hands balled into fists on top of his head like round ears with his lips puckered, eyes round.

Fluttering butterflies appear inside my stomach again.

'ooooh, not bad, not bad’

I text back and begin walking back to the big steps.

'how it is? who’s the cutest?’

Way to put me on the spot. Not knowing how to avoid this, I just give in.

'of course, Oppa.’

Instead of a text message, he calls me, my heartbeat races as my eyes widen.

“________-ah, everything alright?” Instinctually, I face the screen down so my brother couldn’t see.

“Huh? Yeah, why?” I was feeling heated from getting caught, my cheeks getting warm.
He gives me my juice and I gladly sip on it, cooling myself down.

“You were staring at your phone like a giant spider was crawling out of it.”

I shake my head. “It’s nothing.” My phone was still in my hands, vibrating, so I shove it into my pocket.

“Then why do you look so flustered?”

Oh, snap. Looking away and even turning away from him, I slowly walk off. “It’s the sun.” I throw over my shoulder as he catches up with me.

“You sure it isn’t your boyfriend?” I look at him in bewilderment, his smile sly.

“What are you saying? I don’t have a boyfriend!” I cross my arms dramatically and mutter to myself. “I don’t have the time for one.”

“Good to know, now let’s go, the sun is making me all woozy.”

~ ~ ~

image

(gif credit)

The same night, my brother decides to take me out for dinner and he chose an expensive restaurant where people had to dress up. I had looked at him disapprovingly and refused to go. But he had looked me in the eyes and told me that mom had wanted him to do this every year for my birthday, which made me realize that my birthday was coming up. I’ve been so down lately, that I totally omitted that.

Taking a deep breath, I look at my reflection in the full sized mirror. I had chosen a simple yet cute long arm dress, it stopped just short of my knees, and since we were by car, I didn’t have to worry about freezing my legs off.

My hair was straightened out so it doesn’t look like the mess that it usually does. I slap on some makeup and reach for my earrings when my phone starts ringing.

Jungkook’s 'bear’ selca appears on the screen, a nervous feeling settles in my stomach. I take the call and notice too late that’s it’s not just a regular call but a video call.

‘’What is this?“ I utter astounded at seeing my own reflection in the corner of the screen.

”________“ My name gets called faintly, the video wasn’t very clear so I couldn’t see exactly who it was.

‘’Taehyung-ssi?” Still befuddled, I can finally detect a head shape when it gets pushed out of the way and Taehyung appears.

‘’Hi, ________!’’ He says excitedly with a grin, waving his hand.

Smiling at his cheerfulness, I lean my phone against my laptop screen and wave back. ‘’Hello.“ He was holding the camera an arm's length away but the light wasn’t very bright. ‘’I can’t see you too well.”

As soon as I’ve said it, a light is switched on. ‘’Better like this?’’ This time it’s not Taehyung’s voice that is distant but Jungkook’s.

‘’Eoh, thank you.“ Thanks to the lighting, I could now see that they were inside a room. ‘’Are you guys resting?’’

‘’Yeah, we just got home from practice, Tae-Hyung wanted to call you.” He sits down and just like
Jungkook’s head appears next to Taehyung’s, his freshly washed hair, darker and messy, was covered partially by a beanie. He takes the device and Taehyung disappears from the screen.
me puts it against something.

Even though I was touched that Taehyung seemed to like me as well, the way Jungkook said it made me a little affronted. ‘’You don’t want to?’’

‘’Not really.“ He was teasing me, so I glare at him.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I sneer my lips at him. ‘’Good, I change my mind then. Taehyung-ssi is the cutest.” In the background I can hear Taehyung yelling in triumph, I’m surprised he even heard me.

Instead of reacting to my words, he seems to be looking at himself through the screen. “I can see why I look ugly right now.’’

‘’No,’’ my voice gets higher and louder from bewilderment. ‘'Where? I can’t see it.’’

Jungkook directs his gaze back to me on the screen and smiles. ‘’You should see me without makeup.’’

‘’I have, at school. You look just fine.’’ I don’t like how he was degrading himself like that. No sane person would call him ‘ugly’ and I tell him exactly that.

‘’Your face,’’ he chuckles. ‘’You look so baffled.”

‘’I am.’’ Exclaiming loudly, I look at him in amazement. “I don’t know how anyone could call you ugly.’’ Finding humor in this, he keeps laughing silently.
‘’Is it that funny?’’ I ask him sarcastically.

‘’Eoh.’’ He responds and continues to say something when my brother yells for me.

” ________-ah! Are you ready to go?’’ I turn on my stool and push away from the desk so I was closer to the door and reassure him that I’ll be down in a few minutes. ‘’Hurry up, we’ve got a reservation.’’

‘’I said I’ll be done in a few minutes, don’t rush me.’’ I counter irritated. Earrings, earrings, where are my earrings?

I turn back and see them on my table, as I reach for them I find Jungkook looking at me idly, head tilted cutely. ‘’Are you going out?’’

Putting on one of the earrings, I struggle to push through and am busy fumbling with it for a while. ‘’Yeah, my brother takes me to dinner every birthday.’’

He jumps up from his relaxed position and looks at me with large, wide eyes, surprised. ‘’It’s your birthday today?’’

‘’No, he is taking me earlier than usual, I think he’s busy next week.“ Finally having worked my way through the piercing I go to put on the other earring.

Loosening up, relieved, he places his elbow on the table and leans his head on his fist. ‘’When is your birthday?”

I wasn’t sure what day it was, so I check on my calendar. ‘’Oh, it’s on the same day where we’ll be going to the amusement park.’’ Giving up on that ear, I drop my sore arms.

‘’Amusement park?’’ He confirms looking deep in thought, his face grim. ‘’I have a schedule on that day.’’

‘’Ah, really?’’ I pout, feeling bumped at this information. ‘’That’s too bad, I’m sure it would have been fun.’’

Jungkook with a cute pout in place presses the heel of his hand against one eye. ‘’Yeah, I think so, too. But I’ve been packed with schedules lately. There is nothing I can do about it.’’

I frown sadly, feeling for him. ‘’You must be so tired. Every time I see you now, I feel like you’re getting more and more worn out.’’ In that exact moment, he yawns widely, verifying my words. “See? Are you at least eating well?’’

Stretching his arms above his head, it seems like he can’t stop yawning. ’'Don’t worry, Seokin-Hyung is feeding me well.’’

The grimace can’t seem to leave my face, I press my lips still concerned.

Seeing this, Jungkook leans closer to the camera and smiles at me, my breath catches. ‘’________-ah, I’m good and healthy, just really tired. You really don’t have to worry about me,” he raises his eyebrows and drops them in a wink. ‘’A few hours of sleep, and I’ll be back on my feet.’’

Still pouting, I give in at his words. ‘’Alright, I’ll let you rest then, I have to go anyway.’’

‘’Alright,“ Head tilted endearingly, he lifts his index finger. ‘’Don’t forget your other earring.’’

I reach for my ear and snort at the thought of leaving the house with only one earring. ‘’That would have made me look weird.”

‘’Not at all,’’ at his voice turning lower, almost whispering, by heart quickens. ‘’You look pretty.’’

Unable to hear clearly due to my heartbeat drumming loudly in my ears, and also fearing that I’ve become delusional, I ask him what he said.

A grin is placed on his lips and he crinkles up his whole face and I know he’s doing this on purpose now, trying to make me blush. ‘’You are really pretty.’’

Even before he finishes, I can’t help it and a restraint squeal escapes my mouth while I lean back and hide my heated face with my hands. ‘’Ah, ya, Oppa.’’

I peak through my fingers to see a full smile on his face, his previous fatigued expression vanished completely. “Did you like that?’’

Although I was embarrassed, I admit to it anyway. ‘’Eoh, I liked it.’’ I breathe out heavily and use my hands to fan my face. ‘’Ah, I feel like I’m going crazy.‘’

‘’Cute.” Jungkook was still using the same method and it was still working.

‘’Don’t.“ I exclaim, entirely too affected by him.

He relaxes his expression and shows a simple joyful laugh instead. ‘’Alright, alright. I’ll stop. You should go, your brother is probably waiting for you.’’

Nodding, I can’t look away from him, contented from laughing with him like this. ‘’Oppa, good night.’’

He nods and takes the phone in his hands and moves around when he gets settled again, this time against his pillow. ‘’You too, enjoy your dinner. I’ll call you—‘’ Grunting all of a sudden, Jungkook gets cut off.

‘’________, don’t forget about me.’’

I snicker at Taehyung’s antics against Jungkook. ‘’I won’t. Taehyung-ssi, you too, sleep well.’’

The camera is back under control and it shows the two of them cozily next to each other. ’'I’ll call when I can.’’ Jungkook finishes his sentence from before he was interrupted.

Taehyung looks at Jungkook proudly and ruffles his hair. ‘’Ooh, so manly.’’

Jungkook, on the other hand, looks irritated. ‘’Ignore him.’’ Moving up from his bed, he runs away before Taehyung can catch up and it seems like he’s entered another room through a door and was currently leaning against it.
‘’Go, before you get in trouble.’’

I smile a little bit reluctant to hang up. ‘’OK, I’ll be going then. Do well.’’

*whispers SaveME.mp3* save me save me because
‘’Hm.’’ I wave my hands at him as he ends the video. It’s amazing how one simple call can make me think of his beautiful face all night long.



~~~

bighit is out for my money hihi thanks for reading   -K