Smirk

For You

image

Originally posted by coffee-soo

I go through the school day feeling like a zombie until I finally slump down onto the grass field, throwing an arm over my eyes. The sun is back at least for today and I was in dire need of some vitamin C.

Eventually, someone else slumps down next to me. Looking over I see Lee, I resume my previous position.
“Are you feeling better?” I murmur, entirely too comfortable and feeling sleepy. She had a fever the night before and had stayed home.

“Yeah, but concentrating on Maths and such proved to be difficult in my state.” She sounded even weaker than me, almost whispering her words.

“How are we supposed to go to an amusement park and a concert in our state?” I roll onto my stomach and support my head with my hand, looking at her pale complexion. “I mean look at yourself, you look like a corpse.”

She waves it off. “Talking about the concert, does that mean the mission succeeded?”

“You sly little…” I jokingly glare and snarl at her. “Do you always give out my number so easily? Should I fear some stranger calling me now?”

She opens her eyes and rolls them at me. “Don’t exaggerate, I would never do that, it’s only Jungkook and it’s not like he’s harassing you.” She points at me with her finger. “And you should be thanking me, do you know how lucky you are that I’m giving you one of the tickets? Do you know how expensive they are? Do you know how hard it is to get tickets? Do you? Do you?”

Now it’s my turn to roll my eyes at her. “I get it, now calm down, I don’t want you to start a fever again.”

She closes her eyes again, having done her work of shutting me up. I place my arms on the ground and lay my cheek on them facing her.

“I’m tired.” We mutter in unison making us both burst out laughing weakly.

Lying there, we both enjoy some resting time before resuming the school day. She will be going to string instruments class whereas I have to dance for a full hour. Both needed concentration and dedication, both things that we didn’t have in us at the moment, one was ill, one was overworked.

But not working wasn’t an option for me, even though my brother had assured me we were fine, I just didn’t want him to suffer alone for the two of us. Me working for my own allowance makes it easier for us, -at least we still got our home, the one and only sanctuary we had left.

~ ~ ~

“Miss ________?” I turn toward the voice of the manager calling from behind me.

“Yes?”

She scans my face, a worried expression marring her face. “Are you feeling alright?” I touch my face, worried that something was on it. “You look really exhausted.”

“No, no, I’m fine, thank you for worrying.”

Disapproving, she shakes her head at me for playing it off. “Miss, it’s your own health. I’ll give you the day off. There is not much to do today, I’ll do fine on my own.”

I open my mouth to argue but she glares at me, scoldingly like a mother would. It is moments like these that make my eyes water, I look at her gratefully. “Thank you, I really appreciate it.”

Gently, she pats my back and guides me towards the changing rooms, and the sudden warmth makes me feel like bawling.
Stepping into the room, I take a moment to compose myself and walk back out having changed into a pair of white pants and a light blue blouse.

Physically and emotionally exhausted, I sling my bag over a shoulder and walk back out to the manager to say my goodbyes.
I hear the bell over the entrance ringing, and out of habit greet them, when I focus my eyes at them more, I recognize one of them as a member of Bangtan.

Instead of being here as the full group they were only three people this time, they were standing behind each other, so I couldn’t see anyone else than the one at the front.

“Miss, you should hurry home, it’s going to rain soon.” She urges me to leave and I can’t help but smile at her again, her concern for me was making me long for my own mother.

“You’re going home?” A voice I would recognize anytime comes from the very back of them. The others step aside, and he comes in view, Jungkook.

“Eoh.” It was nice to see his face again, I had been getting worried because he hadn’t been to school in a while, making me worry that he, too, was overworking himself.

“This Miss here looks like she’s going to collapse anytime soon. I’m sending her home,” She ushers me with her hand waving me away and mutters to herself. “Kids these days think they don’t need sleep.”

While stepping out from behind the counter, I look at my watch to see that I had missed the bus I was planning to take due to the forecast rain. Usually, I would just walk home but guess who forgot her umbrella again.

“What’s wrong?” Jungkook suddenly says, having stepped over to me, and it’s only now that I notice he’s changed his gauges to a pair of small hoop earrings.

“It’s just that I usually walk home but Auntie said it’s going to rain so I was planning to take the bus, but I missed it.” Grimacing, I push up on my toes to look over his shoulder and see if it had started yet. “Maybe I can make it home before it rains.”

The last part was more me talking to myself but of course he heard, even Auntie.

“No, no, no. You will not be doing such things. You will be sitting down on that chair over there and you,” now she was focusing her attention on the boys, mostly on Jungkook though. “Will be a gentleman and wait with her.”

I think we were all a little bit more than taken aback by her, I surely was, I didn’t know that she was such a force to be reckoned with.

“Yes,” I say obediently and bow slightly, amused at the situation I look over at Jungkook, who was pressing his lips together with his eyes focused, deep in thought.
I tilt my head, so his eyes focus on me. “You don’t have to do that.” When he doesn’t move or say a thing, I elaborate. “Wait with me, I mean. I’ll be fine on my own.”

He does the thing with his eyebrow, looking really handsome in that moment. “You sure?” When I nod, he smirks. “Alright.”

The smirking makes me look at him suspiciously but I felt relieved that he won’t feel burdened because of me

Looking away from him, I see the other two members watching us, I bow to them, a little bit flustered having their attention and hurry away to a far corner, facing the entry. I really hope it’s not going to rain anytime soon because if so, I’d be screwed.

Having another 20 minutes to spare, I rest my chin on my hand and close my eyes.
Somewhere in-between being awake and dreaming, I hear the chair across from mine being pulled. I fight sleep and open my heavy lids slowly and turn my head his way.

“You really do look like you’re going to collapse.” Jungkook, who had taken a seat, was holding his phone in his hands, fiddling with it.

“Hm,” I agree. “I haven’t been sleeping well lately, don’t know why.”

He stays silent for a while. “Don’t you have anyone to get you from work?”

I feel a sudden ping in my heart, smiling sadly, my eyes are cast downward. “There isn’t, my brother is very busy,” I whisper the last bit. “I rarely get to see him.”

At the sudden mention of family and the previous situation with Auntie, I was beginning to miss having someone by my side terribly.
I snap out of it when I see the other two members approaching our table, one of them holding a tray with beverages.
Even though I already bowed to them I stand up from my seat and do it again. “Hello.”

After that, they take their seats with the one who I thought looked like Jungkook’s older brother next to me and the other one next to Jungkook.

One drink is put in front of everyone, even I get one, a mug of some tea. “Ahjummoni asked me to bring it to you, it’s good for your health.” The boy next to Jungkook explains.

“Thank you.” Gingerly I take a small sip, keeping my hands wrapped around the mug.

“This is ‘my V-Hyung’,” Jungkook introduces him in a tone, mimicking mine when he had shown me their album. “And Jin-Hyung.”

I smile at each of them politely. “Nice to meet you, my name is ________…. Is that your stage name? V?” I show him the peace sign and he grins.

“Yes, my name is Taehyung.” He says and Jin next to me does the same. “My actual name is Seokjin.”

“Taehyung, deep, soulful voice. Seokjin, handsome flower boy. Got it” I say to myself.

Taehyung puts his drink down. “'Deep, soulful voice’?”

I look away from him at Jungkook’s expectant expression and hold back a smile. “Yes, when I listened to the song, the Outro, your voice stood out to me, I really like it.”

“Thank you.” He looks really happy and grateful at my compliment, all smiles with his teeth showing in a soft and free-spirited, rectangular shape. I return the smile, happy to make others feel good.

Seokjin, next to me speaks up. “Outro? Did you like the Outro?” I look at him but he was looking at Jungkook with a soft smile.

A little bit confused I nod my head. “Yes, the Outro is actually one of my favorite.”

Taehyung and Jin both make an 'ooh’ sound, when I look at Jungkook for help, he has a smug expression on his face. “Outro, I wrote it.”

My mouth opens, impressed, I make the same sound as them. “Well, you should thank Taehyung-ssi for lending your song his beautiful voice.”

I see Taehyung bursting out into laughter, clapping his hands entertained at my remark. Jungkook just laughs, finding this funny.

“Did you watch the music video?” Jin questions me after a comfortable silence settles.

“There is a music video for the 'Outro’?”

“No, no. I meant our title track.” When I shake my head, Jungkook begins tapping on his phone and then offers it to me, I take it and hold it so everyone can see.
“Makdongie, is this the version?” I look at them alerted when he confirms. “Or Run?”

“I only showed her part 1, I don’t think ________ has heard part 2, yet.” I had meant to listen to it but I usually sleep as soon as I get home.

“Technically, you weren’t supposed to watch it either.” Jin directs at Jungkook.

Taehyung puts his hand out. “Wait, is this illegal?”

If I wasn’t frightened before, I definitely am now. I watch as they look at each other, not knowing what to do, so instead of them making me go crazy in my head I just click play.

Each of the members is shown at the beginning looking sad and hopeless. As soon as one of them is seen in a tub playing with fire, suicide comes to my head. Tears are spilled, pills are taken, and fire and water are being symbolized in a way that shows destruction.

Then there are moments of them being together, all seven of them, just being with one another, the happier times I assume.
My eyes widen in shock when Jungkook gets beaten up and I gasp at the violent scene.
Again it returns to scenes of them messing around in a diner, totally free of the things that are burdening now, I frown feeling sad for them.

Once again it shows Jungkook getting beaten to a pulp by two strangers as they push him against the wall and hit him again and again, I wince at his anguish, his face showing resignation, no energy to fight.

My eyes begin to water, I blink in hopes to keep them at bay.

Switching away we see the one who had taken the pills dropping to the ground, probably overdosed.
The water heavily spilling over the tub, the boy now not inside anymore but shivering against it, looks on miserably.

Taehyung is seen intercepting between another guy and a girl’s fight and all blood drains from my face but just as soon the scene switches again, now to someone looking at a car coming at them and it takes me a second to realize its Jungkook, I flinch away from the screen and squeeze my eyes shut for a split second.

When I open them again it shows them being happy and enjoying their time with each other, the singing has dropped away, now only a melancholy melody accompanying the scenes.
Then it moves back to Taehyung’s scene as he rams a broken bottle into the guy’s stomach, I subconsciously cover my mouth as I gasp shocked.

The music video keeps switching between the reminiscing scenes of them and their current extreme situations, one guy setting his room on fire and another dropping a cigarette at a gas station, making me feel all over the place.

One second I want to smile and the next I feel like crying.

As the song comes to an end, it seems that they all come to an end together in the same place, running side by side together, yelling at seagulls flying around freely, probably symbolizing that all 7 members finally are freed from all the worries and burdens.

The last shot is of the gray horizon, matching the whole color palette of the music video, dull and depressing.

Jungkook’s phone now showed a black screen, I stay motionless, processes it all, feeling really teary at the moment.

Even though I don’t know much about the music industry, I feel like these kinds of music videos are rather rare.
If they weren’t seated right in front me, I’d be extremely worried, not that I’m not but I felt relieved that I could see them in the flesh.

The fans must have been shocked and anxious as well.

“Don’t cry.” My head snaps up at hearing the voice of Taehyung, my vision blurry, a tear sliding down from the sudden movement. His eyes widening at that, his voice gets higher, panicked. “Don't cry, don't cry.”

“Oh, sorry.” Seokjin offers me a tissue and I accept it gladly. “It’s just really saddening seeing you all like that.”

I sniffle, dabbing the tears and for the first time look at Jungkook, who had a gentle smile on his face. The images of him getting beaten up flash before my eyes.
“Ya, why were your scenes so long?” I complain about the violent scenes, still very much affected from the music video.

His face changes, taken by surprise, but when he sees my face he chuckles deeply and lifts his arm, patting my head.
I glare at him.

“Is this the first music video you watched from us?” Taehyung asks.

“No, actually I recently watched the MV for your Japanese single.” I was starting to calm back down and thinking of the cute and light MV made me feel better.

Jungkook had been taking a sip of his drink, but at my previous words, he starts to cough all of a sudden. All of our eyes snap to him in an instant. Taehyung starts pointing and laughing at him at once, Seokjin doing the milder version, while I was just sitting there looking concerned.

He coughs a couple of times, then looks at me inquisitively. “'For You’ MV?” His voice sounded hoarse from choking and my lips curve involuntarily.

“Eoh, I really liked it, it’s the total opposite of 'I NEED U’.” I joke. “The song is beautiful in itself and the dance is really great.”

Seokjin leans his head on his hand. “Did you watch the dance version?”

“Dance version? No, I watched the one where Jungkook was wearing the bear mascot.” I smile, remembering how adorable it was.

Seeing my smile, Taehyung leans closer with a knowing toothy grin, his thumb directed at Jungkook. “Cute, isn’t he?”

I return the smile the same way, I was already liking him a lot, his character was fun. “You mean the bear?”

He opens his mouth, surprised at my humor but shortly after bursts out laughing throwing his head back, and holds one hand out in a high five.
“Ah, this is really funny.” He says through his roaring laughter and pats Jungkook on the shoulder. I giggle with him and complete the high five.

Jungkook, on the other hand, was looking pouty and exaggerates it by putting a hand on his heart. I smile at him, showing him that I was only teasing him.

“How did you find out about our Japanese single?” My smile drops and in return Jungkook’s lifts to a smirk, as Seokjin asks in curiosity.

“Oh, how did I find out?” Fidgeting, thrown off by this question, I try to come up with something that resembled the truth. I couldn’t exactly tell them that Jungkook singing to me at night had imprinted this song into my head.
“I, uh, heard it somewhere and I asked around and found out it’s actually your song.” It’s the truth. I did hear it somewhere, and I also did ask around.

Still, I was avoiding looking at them, especially Jungkook.

The bell above the door rings and from my seat, I had a good view of it, again out of habit I scan the entrance and am taken aback to see a familiar figure.
That person looks around the cafe, expecting me to be behind the counter and frowns when he doesn’t find me there. He continues his search and spots me behind Jungkook’s frame, already looking at him.

“Oppa…” I say quietly as if not believing my own eyes. Subconsciously, I push to my feet, never averting my eyes from him.

“________?” He asks seeing me.

I am about to rush to him when I remember that I was still with the guys. “Oh, I’m sorry, but I have to leave now. Enjoy your drink and do well on your schedules.” I bow to them politely and nod at Jungkook, his eyes watching me.

Seokjin and Taehyung stand up as well and say their goodbyes bowing slightly, too.

I turn and nearly run to my brother who already had his arms wide open, I hug him gladly and feel like I’m home again when he wraps his familiar arms around me.
Tears start to well up and I start to sob, he places a kiss against my hair while my hair.

This actually makes me even more choked up. “I missed you so much, Oppa.”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry, I’m here for you now.” Hearing his warm and deep voice after such a long time makes another wave of sobs roll over my body, my lips quivering uncontrollably.

“Ssshh….” He comforts me gently, his hands keep my hair.

I pull away from him, wiping at my tears ridden face after gathering myself. “Sorry about that.” I apologize when I see the wet spot I caused on his button-up shirt.

He bends down and scans my face. “You look ugly right now.”

My jaw drops. “Ya!” I punch his arm and he laughs while I glare at him offended, crossing my arms. “You can go right back to where you came from.”

I give him the cold shoulder but he puts an arm around me and steers me towards the exit. “Don’t be like that, I was only joking. By the way, I got you your favorite food.”

I drop my arms, at once forgetting his comment. “Really?”

“Yeah, it’s inside the car waiting for you.”

I clap excitedly like a little child and put one arm around his waist. As we near the exit, I feel like someone was watching me so I look over my shoulder and see the three of them talking among themselves.

When Seokjin sees me looking at him, he smiles and waves. I smile and face forward again.

Maybe I was mistaken, and no one was watching me after all.



~~~

.... 4 versions? Really, Bighit? Really? NO TEASER PHOTOS BIGHIT??? Sigh, buying all 4 versions is even beyond me... and then there is melon pass, too.... T.T  
let’s talk about how it seems like I’mc
clairvoyent… I wrote this 2015 around August and I was worried that Jungkook would have graduated from high school by now bc he is 18 already and it comes out that he is a year behind so yay that basically saves my whole story… now they are having a concert in May and oh look that fits my story too yohooo… I wonder what else will fit keke -K