Velvet

For You

image

(gif credit)

Work.

Work.

Work.

Aside from school that’s all I could think about lately, even though it was just a cafe I've been trying to make up for being late that one time. I wasn't just late by a few minutes but almost half an hour. The rain had really held me up even more.

Currently, in my lunch break sitting in the far back corner of the cafe, I plug in my earphones in order to block out some of the talking and proceed to do some homework before having to continue my shift.

My phone starts ringing, signaling a call, and before I can ask who it is, she greets me on her own enthusiastically. “________!”

The volume was on high, so I was short of going deaf with Lee yelling like that. “Aigoo, that’s loud.”

“Friend!” She continues with the same loudness. “I see you.” And then she just hangs up.

Totally confused, I continue doing my homework when I feel the table trembling as Lee sits down, giving me a mini heart attack.
“Did you have to do that?” But she only laughs in response while shoving something at me. “What’s this again?”
I take them from her and see that they are tickets to a concert by ‘Bangtan Sonyeondan’. Cute name.
“Who are they?” I give them back to her and look at her horrendous expression.

“You don’t know?” She almost screams, making the manager stare at me. I tell Lee to keep it down. “Jungkook? His group? Ring a bell?”

“Yeah, but I didn’t know their name.” I think for a second. “Bangtan Sonyeondan? Creative…”

“Friend, we are going to their concert in a few weeks. Aren’t you excited?” Her excited face meets my bland one.

I shake my head at her. “Sorry, I can’t. I already have to work an extra shift because I need to take the day off for the school trip.” If I continue like that I won’t be able to keep up with school.

“Please?” Lee tries by begging.

I instantly feel bad. “Sorry, Lee. But you could go with Joon.”

“He’s already agreed to go but I want to go with you.” She looks crestfallen.

Now I feel like a really bad friend, I take her hand in mine and squeeze gently. “I’m really sorry, but I’ve been falling behind on my studies. I’m sorry.”

She smiles at me with understanding although she still looked bumped. I smile back, feeling the worst I have had in a while. She is the one who I never want to let down.

~ ~ ~

Returning to my room after getting myself a glass of water, I begin to brush my teeth when I hear my phone ringing in my room. Getting rid of the toothpaste in my mouth,  I rush to my room and lift the phone to my ear without looking at the number. “Hello?”

“Hello.” The person on the other line greets back, the voice undeniable male. “________?”

Whoever it was sounded familiar, however, I was still alert. “Yes,” I confirm that it was me. “Who is it?”

The line is silent for a moment. “'I want to be your Oppa' (lyrics from 'Boy in Luv').”

Immensely confused at the sudden singing from the other person, I just bring a questioning sound. “Huh?”

“'I want to be your Oppa'.” He puts emphasis on the 'oppa’ part and I finally understand.

“Jungkook?”

I can hear his hands clapping once, which probably means I’m on speaker. “Bingo.”

Relieved that it wasn’t just some stranger calling me, I sit down on my bed and rest against my headboard, pulling the covers up to my stomach.
“How have you been?” That sounded weird coming from my lips, it’s been a few days since I’ve last seen him on the field. Somehow I had avoided missing his presence too much because I’ve been busy with school and work.

“I’ve just finished my last schedule for the day.” I look at the clock to see that it was midnight soon. “Still need to do some school stuff.”

I frown at that. “That’s late, you should get some rest.”

“I’m fine, I took a nap a few hours ago.” Now that he was talking about napping, I yawn unable to control it. On the other end, I can hear him chuckling. “Maybe you should go sleep instead.”

His voice sounded a little deeper, there was a rasp that I never noticed in person. Now that I couldn’t see his face and only had his voice to concentrate on, I was picking up these traits.

“No, I’m not tired, your voice is just so nice to listen to.” I yawn again. “It’s like a lullaby.”

“Hm,” I feel like he wasn’t too sure about that. “I didn’t mean to call you that late, but we got delayed for an hour.”

Changing position, I lie down on my bed and snuggle up to my worn teddy bear. “No, no, it’s no problem. I function well even without a lot of sleep.”

“You’re slurring, maybe I should call you back tomorrow.” His voice sounds uncertain about my credibility.

I snap open my heavy eyelids, which I hadn’t even noticed had dropped, and sit up on my bed as not to fall into the temptation of sleeping. “No, really. Talk, what is it?”

Jungkook doesn’t speak for a second. “You almost fell asleep, didn’t you?”

Even though he couldn’t see me, somehow from his voice alone I get flustered, I play it off anyway. “No, what are you talking out?” I hear him laugh, probably at me being such a bad liar.

“Anyway, I’m on a mission. I’m supposed to convince you. Lee told me—” He gets cut off by my groaning as I fall flat onto my bed, glaring at the ceiling as if it is Lee.
Inhaling and exhaling deeply once, I apologize for interrupting him and tell him to keep going.
“She didn’t tell me why you can’t come, I just wanted to ask before trying to convince you.” My resolve melts at that, is it such a considerate thing to do. But still I was busy and a concert, even a school trip, didn’t really fit in.

So, I tell him the same thing that I told Lee.

After that, he is silent for a while. “So, that’s how it is.” He sounds defeated, it’s not a sound that I like hearing from him.

“Maybe, you could convince me….” I trail off wanting to lift the mood, there was no convincing needed, I already made my decision. Guess I’ll have to put it another shift, sacrificing my weekend.

I wait as he thinks about it and have my eyes closed from exhaustion when he starts to sing.

The melody is very sweet and enchanting, Jungkook’s voice gains a very velvet-like and harmonic quality as he sings the words to a song I don’t understand. Goosebumps raise all over my skin as he continues to serenade me by singing in Japanese.
It almost feels like this song is made just for that purpose, it’s soothing and enthralling but causes my heart to flutter at the same time.
His voice has that effect, if I wasn’t convinced before, I definitely am now.

It was almost entrancing to the point that I didn’t even notice when he had finished his last note and had asked me if I had fallen asleep.

“Uh, n-n-no,” Laughing nervously, I stutter. “I’m just impressed, that’s all.”

“So, are you coming to the concert?” I’m sure he had a smug look on his face.

I snuggle deeper into my pillow as I a little. “Of course, I’d love to hear your V-Hyung’s voice live.” I burst out laughing and he follows suit but a yawn overtakes me, making my eyes water.

“Ah, our ________-ie is tired.” Jungkook states cutely, those stupid butterflies returning in my belly again. “Mission accomplished, you should sleep.”

I didn’t want to hang up but we both knew that I wasn’t going to last much longer because his voice was just so nice.

I sigh. “Alright, don’t stay up too late yourself,” I hesitate, it just feels so weird saying it over the phone but I do it anyway. “Oppa.”

I’m sure he was grinning but of course I couldn't see it. “Eoh, good night.”

We hang up and sleep comes to me fast, the probability high that my last thought was of a certain someone who just made my heart falter with his voice alone.

* * * * * *

Pushing my hands deep into my pockets, I walk through the streets of Seoul on my way back home from work. The sun had stopped showing up through the cloudy sky and the nights were getting chillier again even though the warmer seasons were approaching.
School has also kicked up a few notches, not even dance class could be described as relaxing anymore. To say I was tired was an understatement. As soon as I get home, I'd plaster myself on the bed and fall asleep at once.

Passing through the busier streets, I see a music store across the street and for the first time in my life I felt the urge to visit such a store.
Crossing the traffic lights, I walk inside the brightly illuminated store and make an impressed breathy sound. So many CD’s from national artists to overseas artist, the shelves were packed with them.

The Japanese section catches my eye. Ever since Jungkook sang his song, it’s been stuck in my head and I wanted to know if his group was active in Japan also.
Taking curious steps towards the racks, I search for a familiar face, when I get startled by an employee. “Hello, can I help you with anything, Customer?”

I can only look at him surprised that he was talking to me all of a sudden. “Ah, yes, I’m not sure if it even exists, but does Bangtan Sonyeondan have an album in Japanese.”

When he hears my request he instantly moves a little bit further and motions with his hand. “'Bangtan Sonyeondan’, it’s here. They have a lot of albums released in Japan actually.”

I thank him and he leaves to greet another customer. Reaching for one, I spot a younger version of Jungkook, but I see that it isn’t dated that long ago, it seems like he’s just changed a lot in that short amount of time.

The next one seems to be one of the recent releases. The seven members of 'BTS’ are seated on the ground looking like flower boys as if they walked out of a manga, looking like angels.
Jungkook’s hair is a lighter shade, he looks adorable with his snapback and hair swept covering his entire forehead. His eyes pierce through to me even if it’s just a cover.

Looking at the other members I notice that they were the same people as the ones in the cafe the other night.
One of them, sitting up front, could be mistaken for an actual Hyung of Jungkook, they looked similar.
They were all wearing something white and it brought the whole look together, very clean and charismatic.

The employee tries to get my attention again. “Excuse me, Miss. You can have a listen over there.” He points towards a computer-like looking machine.

Walking over to it, I look for the digital version of the album and click on it while putting on the earphones.

Piano and string instruments fill my ears as the intro of the song begins, they fall away once Jungkook’s unmistakable voice is introduced into the song. Now, only light piano chords and a gentle beat accompany his beautiful, dreamy vocals, kind of like a heartbeat.
Smiling at hearing his voice, I get pulled in when another voice replaces his, lower and rougher, rapping while the piano is doing its’ thing, backed up by soft harmonic vocals, the beat picks up when the rapping intensifies.

Again, Jungkook’s velvet vocals return and I recognize the melody as the part he sang to me over the phone.

Entranced by the song, I continue to listen to it to the end and am incredibly impressed by the musical ability to transform a ballad type song into a unique sound through their distinctive vocals and rap.

“Miss,” the employee’s voice comes from next to me, sounding far away because of the earphones. “Miss, we are closing now, do you want to buy the album?” I look around seeing that I was the last one now.

Taking off the earphones, I apologize and tell him that I will be coming back the next day.

~ ~ ~

Stepping into the much-needed warmth of my home, I start to prepare something for dinner.
Sitting down at the table with my laptop and food, I devour it while looking for the music video of 'For You’. The video starts to play and the first thing to be seen is the most adorable human-sized teddy bear dancing and giving out some fliers. When I get a closer look it seems to not just be any bear but Winnie Pooh, I think.

A cute little girl goes to hug it and I wish I could do the same. I’ve always had a soft spot for bears, the evidence was lying upstairs in my bed.

As it gets ignored by several people and even hit by an elder man for stupid reasons, I pout and frown disapprovingly. Upset at them treating it like that, I feel even more devastated when it drops its head and lets it hang there cutely but sadly.
The shot changes and the person in the bear takes off its’ giant head to reveal none other than Jungkook, who to be honestly looked like a bunny himself. An exhausted bunny.
It shows him taking a rest on a bench and messaging someone over the phone looking precious and adorable.
Putting back the big bear head he continues work, appearing more empowered and the scene changes to a charismatic looking guy with silver hair, the rapper.

Then we get a close up of all the members. Why do they all look so beautiful? How is that possible?

When the scene shows Jungkook opening a letter and it’s visible that he looks ecstatic having received the letter, he actually proceeds to hold it against his heart and kisses it afterward.
By now my mouth has dropped open at that because even though I’ve only known him for a few days, I’m not sure he would be acting so gleeful in real life.
It was almost borderline cringe-worthy but really lovable anyway.

As his part begins, Jungkook gazes into the camera, too close for my liking, looking like an angel serenading and I can’t help but feel all tingly inside when it switches to a full shot of them all dancing, my eyes remain on his charismatic stare the entire time.

The choreography accentuates the song beautifully making it feel very whimsical and fairytale-like.

Jungkook counting his salary and realizing that it’s not enough while sitting down on his bear feet, totally breaks my heart. It’s not even real but I’m reacting like that, somebody help me.

Suddenly, the ringing of my phones in real life startles me causing me to spill a little bit of my abandoned food.
Not wanting it to leak onto the ground I quickly stop the video and get a kitchen towel to clean it up but it had already leaked into the tablecloth.

Grimacing, I move my things away and get it to the sink to scrub it with all my strength and luckily after a few moments of intense arm work, it seems to come off without leaving any trace.
Breathing out in relief, I rinse off the soap and hang it up in the laundry room to let it dry and return to the table to reheat the food that had cooled down.

After putting the things into the microwave and setting the time, I remember why all this had happened and search for my phone.
A set of numbers, the same as the call I got yesterday were displayed on my phone. Jungkook.

Thinking of him calling me again, makes me all nervous and skittish, I chew at my bottom lip and return the call.
The call goes through and I can hear my erratic heartbeat in my own ears as the callback song plays, but no one answers.
Maybe he didn’t mean to call me. I think, horrified at the thought and it isn’t until I’m about to hang up when someone finally answers the call, not even sure if I wanted him to anymore.

“Hello?” My heart drops at hearing a voice, that was higher and softer than Jungkook’s.
“Hello?” They repeat again when I don’t respond, eyes wide.

I begin to stutter, frozen. “U-uh? Ah, yes, h-hello….” My voice gets quieter to the end fading into nothing.
The line stays silent apart from some ruffling for a good 10 seconds, my eyebrows lift up, not knowing what to do. “Hello?” Perhaps the line got cut, I move my phone away from my ear to take a look, -still connected.
“Hello…” I try once more and am about to hang up when he finally speaks again.

“Hello?” He says sounding a little bit out of breath. How many times have we repeated that now?

“Yes?” I respond gingerly, not knowing what to expect.

The other person seems to be catching their breath and was whispering now. “Sorry about that, I was trying to find Jungkookie, but he’s busy at the moment.”

Taken aback for a moment for him whispering all of a sudden, somehow I whisper as well. “Ah, it’s no problem at all. He just called me, and I didn’t get the call on time.”

“Oh, I see.” He sounded like he didn’t know what to say either.

Awkward.

“Uh, I-I’ll just call back later. Thank you for, uh, looking for him.” Why do I always sound so awkward to my own ears? I need more social skills.

“Ah, no problem.” We hang up and I sit there for a second thoroughly dazed after having this phone conversation.

The 'ding’ sound of the microwave timer makes me jump up, giving me a small fright. I stand up, get the food and finally eat it, my thoughts elsewhere.

After that, I do my homework and keep glancing at my phone hoping that Jungkook would call back, but to my avail, he seems to be busy until midnight, which is when exhaustion finally came over me and I fall asleep.



~~~

Ah, For You MV, it still gives me the feels to this day hehe
You know what I noticed? The way I write is kinda like how a drama would be filmed, does that make sense?
Haha, I hope you liked it and you are always welcome to gush with me over the scenes or Jungkook
or any memeber tbvh I love them all, you can also use the chat if you want, don’t be shy ^^   -K