Fate

For You

image

(gif credit)

As we walk side by side, it is announced that the amusement park would be closing in an hour.
It has gotten colder and since neither my skirt nor the sweatshirt had pockets, I had slipped my hands inside the sleeves of Jungkook’s cardigan that was dangling down my thighs. It helped but I wish I had some pocket warmers.

“Oppa,” Jungkook’s face turns my way. “Why did you take the sketchbook? I’m not upset or anything, I’m just curious.”

He takes a deep breath, seeming nervous. “I actually already knew you from before, but I don’t think you do.”
I try to remember if I’ve seen him before the cafe incident, but nothing comes up.
“It’s OK, it wasn’t like we talked.” Now I felt bad because somehow he sounded sad. “You used to go to the Han River a lot, right?”

I was surprised that he knew but only nod my head not wanting to interrupt him.

“During trainee days, after practice, we’d often go to the Han River.” I gasp, no way. “One day, I saw this cute girl with her brother, she tripped and hurt herself while dancing, but she didn’t cry or anything, she didn’t stop to care for the wound. The girl kept going.”

I was so entranced by his story that I didn’t notice that a teenage boy was about to run right into me. Jungkook, though, does notice and before the boy can collide into me, he grabs my arm and swiftly pulls me out of harm’s way.
I look up, startled and look at the boy who just passed me. I frown at him disapprovingly and focus back on Jungkook to see that he was glaring at the boy.
It’s the first time, I’ve seen him with such an expression. I’m so used to seeing him smile and laugh that I’m totally thrown off by the intensity of his eyes.

“Oppa?” I say softly wanting to avert his attention from the boy. His eyes snap to mine and they soften.

He scans my face the way it always makes me feel self-conscious. “That girl was you. I admired you for your work ethic. You weren’t practicing for anyone but yourself. You were so happy and enjoyed it.” Looking deep into his sincere eyes, I couldn’t help but be in awe. So this is how I used to be.
“As much as I’m grateful to my company, I’d totally forgotten how it was to do things for myself. I watched trainees practice again and again with sadness. I just forgot. But every time I saw you at the Han River, I felt lightness.”

This is how he saw me? She sounds like a beautiful person, but I feel like I don’t know her anymore.

He leans closer and inspects my eyes even more, the intimacy makes my breath catch in my throat. “That day was the first time you noticed me, you were drawing and I was curious because you looked so absorbed into sketching.” Hearing him talk about that day from his point of view feels unreal. “You caught me looking, and I was blushing so much, but you were so nice about it, it made me like you even more.”

With the combination of him being so close and his sweet words, I had trouble breathing.

“But then you got the call and ran off. I don’t think you remember but you dropped your sketchbook under the table and before I left, I took it, thinking that I would see you again, at the Han River or the cafe.” Jungkook pulls me close into his comforting arms. “However, I never did, not for a few years. Then I debuted and I was so busy that I didn’t even get to go to the Han River anymore.”

Slowly pulling away, he looks at me intently, and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this side of his. “But then a few weeks ago, the day I decide to go to school because my schedule was free, you sat down next to me. Out of nowhere, there you were.” I smile thinking back to that day and how much I had struggled to even go to class.
“I was shocked, and then you even talked to me asking if I was OK. Do you know how nervous I was?”

He was smiling now and I start feeling tingles running down my spine at his confession. “You know, you also grew up to be very beautiful. I don’t think I tell you enough. But there are moments when I look at you, I find it difficult to look away.”

In my head, I squeal at his romantic words and my cheeks feel like they were on fire. More than just flustered, I avert my eyes. “No one has ever said something like this to me.”

Putting his finger under my chin, he makes me look at him. His eyes weren’t as intense anymore and I think my breathing was working again. “I’ll just have to do it more then.” His cheesy lines were making me all giddy inside, so in response, I hit his arm.

“What the! Where do you learn these things from? Are you sure you aren’t a ladies’ man?”

Raising one eyebrow, he throws me a mischievous wink. “You are the only lady in my life.”

This time I squeal for real and step back while cringing at the spidery feeling across my skin.
“Don’t do that again, don’t ever say that again.” It was so unlike him that I shudder. “That was so weird coming from you.”

Jungkook throws his head back and claps his hand while laughing entertained. “Maybe I’m actually like that.”

I glare at him. “I really hope not.” He looks at my face then doubles up even more. I stomp my foot onto the ground. “Oppa!”

Walking over to me, he attempts to tune down his laughter and fails. “What, you don’t like me being your Prince Charming?”

I gawk at him open-mouthed. Did he really just say that? I’m surprised he isn’t hitting himself for saying something like this.
I spin around and walk away, worried for my sanity as I shake my head, trying to get rid of those horrifying words.

“________-ah,” he calls out in-between laughter. “Don’t be like that.”

I ignore him and walk away faster when I notice the last shop before we were out of the amusement park completely.
Switching directions, I move towards the brightly lit store. Entering, I’m positively surprised that it was warmer than outside.
Spotting the bear section, I quickly dash over to it. I lift one hand to touch the fabric and I’m amazed by how soft it is.

“What are you doing?” Jungkook asks from the entrance as he sees me there with the dozens of plushie bears.

“I’m looking for a new favorite bear since my previous one has gone crazy.” I look at him innocently and he just smiles cutely.

I look around some more and see a medium sized plushie bear wearing a beanie and a white shirt. I can’t help but laugh out loud at the sight. The plushie looks just like Jungkook.

Something heavy suddenly lands on one side of my shoulder and takes my brain a few seconds to register that it is in fact Jungkook’s chin. I try not to get affected by that, but let’s be real, how can I not?
“It looks like me.” His voice was so close, it was lower than usual.

Acting nonchalantly, I tilt my head the other way. “Don’t you think it looks a little bit,… I don’t know, manlier?”

He lifts his head and stares at me, shocked. “Are you saying I’m not manly?”

“What you said out there was hardly manly.” I glare at him accusingly. “It was rather disturbing.” I shudder from the sheer thought of his words.

“‘You’re really beautiful’, is that disturbing?” I didn’t even have to face him to see that he had one eyebrow raised and that only one side of his mouth was lifted.

“No, I like it,” I admit sheepishly, busying myself with the plush toys in front of me.

“What about this?” Looking at him curiously, he curls his two V fingers against his cheek and does the cutest kissy face I’ve ever seen.

My heart pounds against my rib cage, so in order to save myself, I cover my face with my hands and actually escape the store and him.
Welcoming the cold night air against my heated face, I take deep calming breaths and place a hand over my erratic heart. I don’t think I’ll ever recover from his aegyo.

Not a minute later, too soon for my liking, Jungkook steps out of the shop. Grinning from ear to ear, he looks pleased. “You liked that?”

“Don’t do it too often, or I think my heart will stop.” Moving next to me, he places his arm across my nape and we start to walk back to the bus.

With the comfortable silence settling in and the darkness of the evening surrounding us, I can fully feel the effect of exhaustion seeping in. “How come you don’t look tired?”

“I am, trust me. As soon as I have a chance I’ll be asleep.”

I am surprised to hear this because he looks like he still had a lot of energy. “Didn’t you get any sleep before coming here?”

“I took a nap for the ride here.”

Pouting sadly, I look at his face. “I really wish your schedule wasn't so packed.”

“Don’t worry, I’m the one with the most energy in our group.”

“Mhm.” Somehow I believed him but only because I had no other choice.

We meet up with the rest of our class and stand in line as we wait for the bus driver to return.
“Is that Jungkook Oppa?” My head perks up at a few girls from another line whispering excitedly. “You’re right, it’s him. Oppa!”

It takes all in me not to burst out laughing when I see that they were probably in their mid-twenties like my brother.
Jungkook smiles and waves at them. The girls squeal and look away shyly. Ah, the effect of a ladies’ man.

Lee turns to me and notices my straining face as I try to hold it in. “You okay?”

Successfully forcing back the laugh from escaping, I take a deep breath.
Jungkook watches me, knowing why I was like this. But I don’t say anything since they’re his fans, I shouldn’t about it.

5 minutes later Lee leans her head on my shoulder and I do the same to her head. I guess we were all a little exhausted.

“Hey, that’s my girlfriend,” Joon exclaims as soon as he sees us.

I glare at him. “She was my friend first before you met her, you already had her the entire day. So, go and look for your own friend.”

Joon was about to argue when Lee wrap her arms around my stomach. “Yeah, go look for your own friend.” She giggles and high fives my hand.

Looking wounded at our bullying he spots Jungkook and goes to hug him when Jungkook also glares at him, daring him to try.
Joon puts his hand up in surrender and moves back.

Luckily for us, the bus driver finally arrives soon after and opens the door to the bus. As I am about to take a seat next to Lee, someone from behind me shoves me further into the bus with their body. I turn around and snarl at Joon who had a victorious grin on his face. I don't curse much but sometimes this boy brings the worse out of me.

Moving way into the back, I take a seat far away from him, not even wanting to hear his voice. I stand back up and unknot the cardigan from my waist and cover my thighs with it. Jungkook silently follows me and sits down after putting his backpack under the seat.
It was crowded, as in crowded where I sat, his legs just like my brother’s always are, were spread apart brushing against mine.
I guess guys do that subconsciously when they’re relaxed.

Feeling sleepy, I lean my head on his shoulder and I wrap my arms around his arm closest to me.
I feel him looking at me, and even though he doesn’t ask, I feel the need to explain. “Whenever I sleep, I need to hug something. It’s a habit.”

I can hear him giving a short chuckle under his breath, but nonetheless, he puts his relaxed hand on my knee so I have better access to it. This action surprises me but I can't deny I liked it
I’m about to shut my eyes completely when I feel his hand moving against the fabric of his cardigan. I focus and it takes me way longer than usual, blame it on the sleepiness, to realize his intention.

Smiling to myself, I entangle my fingers with his awaiting hand and finally, exhaustion takes over and I fall asleep.

~ ~ ~

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

The shrill and stark sound of my phone’s ringtone wakes me up from my nap and for a second I’m disoriented. Then, I remember that I was still inside the bus next to Jungkook, whose head was resting on top of mine.
A little bit restricted, I remove my head, and luckily his stays in place without him waking up. I unravel one arm from him and take my phone out of my bag and answer the call.

“Hello?” The contrast of the silence compared to my voice was shocking to my ears, I take a quick look at Jungkook. Still very much asleep.

“________-ah?”

I lean as far away as possible. “Oppa?”

“________, why are you whispering?”

“My classmate is still sleeping, I don’t want to wake him.”

He is silent for a moment. “Him? Is it who I think it is?”

Busted, I blush a little. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Sure, you don’t.” He retorts. “Try waking him up, everyone almost already left, I’ll be waiting for you here. I’m parked behind a black van.”

“OK, see you later.”

“Hm.” We hang up and silence settles once more.

A yawn fights its way through my body and I rub my sleepy eyes, still feeling tired. At least it’s warm in here and I notice that it’s not coming from the bus itself but from the person next to me.
Jungkook is like a heater, without fail he keeps emitting warmth. With his eyes closed and his face relaxed, he was really beautiful in a flower boy way.
His lips were slightly ajar and I could see his bunny teeth through them. It was an endearing sight, seeing him sleep so tight makes my heart melt a little more.

“Oppa.” I squeeze his hand gently. “Oppa?”

But he doesn’t move an inch, not even my ringtone could wake him. Seems like he’s a deep sleeper.
With my other hand, I reach out gingerly and place it against his cheek. “Oppa, wake up.” If it wasn’t for his breathing, I’d be extremely alarmed by now.
Very slowly, I lift his arm and place it back on his thigh and untangle my fingers from his. Taking his cardigan, I spread it as wide as possible and cover his shoulder with it.

Thinking of something to do, I remember my old sketchbook and place it in front of me.
Flipping through my old drawings, I feel a sudden need to sketch again. Rummaging through my bag, all I can find is a pen, not my preferred tool but that’s going to have to do for now. I flip to the next blank page but then think back to those eyes.
Looking at Jungkook once more, so peacefully asleep, it’s no surprise that he was all I wanted to sketch right now.

Around 10 minutes of some rough sketching, I hold it up so I can get a better view of it. I could instantly tell that I wasn’t as good anymore as I used to be.
Absentmindedly, I begin to think back to how my mother loved to see my finished projects and how happy she was whenever I improved and mastered a new technique.

I don’t notice Jungkook waking up until he touches my face. His thumb brushes a tear away that must have fallen, his face thoughtful. “You’re awake.”

“Eoh, why didn’t you wake me?”

I look at my sketch of him sleeping like a baby. “I tried, you’re a really deep sleeper.”

He chuckles deep in his throat, thinking of something funny. “Let’s go, it’s getting late.”

Agreeing, I put my book back in my bag and follow out after him and instantly the stark night air makes me wish I had worn something warmer.
“Are you sure you’re not the slightest bit cold?” I ask him, astounded, I was slightly trembling.

Looking at me, one side of his smile is raised more. “You need more muscles.”

Ignoring him and trying very hard not to roll my eyes, I make my way to the black van. “Says the one who has too much.”

Following after me, he laughs softly. “Is your bother picking you up?”

“Yeah, but I don’t see him anywhere.”

“Try calling him.” Doing so, I wait for my brother to take the call.

“Oppa, where are you?” I ask as soon as the line connects.

“Behind the van.”

I arrive at said van and look behind it finding it vacant. “No, you’re not. I’m standing right in front of the van.” Soundlessly, Jungkook turns me slightly and points at a car, almost half the lot away. “That’s what you call behind? You’re on the other end of the parking lot.”

“Yeah, yeah. You found me, now hurry.” I look at the phone in disbelief as he hangs up on me.

The sliding door of the van suddenly opens and I jump back in fear. The light inside the van illuminates the vicinity and I see a familiar face poking their head out.

“Oh, hello.” I bow politely to Seokjin, who greets me back.

“Happy birthday, ________.”

“Ah, thank you,” I say slightly taken aback that he knew as well.

“Do you have a ride home?”

I point a thumb in my brother’s direction. “Yes, my brother is there waiting for me.”

“That’s good, then. You should get home and rest early. You have school tomorrow, right?” Why does he sound like a worried mother to me, it was cute.

“Yes, you two, too, rest well. I’m going, then.” I look at Jungkook and felt a little bit awkward with Seokjin being there. “Then, thank you again and I’ll see you later.”

“________-ie, wait a moment.” I raise my eyebrows at him. “I have something for you.”
He puts his backpack on the floor of the van and takes something, the same size as the bag, out and then in one strong motion shuts the door of the van.

I can hear Seokjin’s muffled laughing, but all I can focus on is Jungkook holding the plushie bear that looks exactly like him with the beanie and white shirt. “You got it for me?”

It was comical to see him holding such a cute thing with himself being such a tall and masculine guy.
He nods and touches one hand to the back of his neck, feeling nervous perhaps. “I didn’t have time to get you anything, so I hope this is enough.”

Touched by his thoughtfulness, I push up on my toes and throw my arms around his neck in an embrace.

He wraps his own arms around my waist and bends down slightly so I don’t have to strain as much and breathes in in content. “So, I assume you like it.”

I giggle under my breath. “Eoh, I’m just really happy today.”

“Whenever I’m not around, you’ll have him by your side.”

“I like the original more, though.”

He pats the length of my hair that was not covered by the beanie. “I’ll try my best.”

“I’d like that.” We stay like that for a moment, and I already begin to miss him because I knew that his schedule was going to keep him busy for a while.

“I think your brother is glaring at me.” He sounds amused, not at all worried.

Laughing out loud, I pull away and turn to look at my brother who did look displeased.
“Don’t worry, I’ll just tell him you like IU as well.” I about his longtime admiration for the female artist. His eyes shut in an overwhelming smile with his nose crinkling, the way I like it the most.

Still smiling big, he turns me around and gently motions for me to start walking. I look at him taken aback. “What are you doing?”

He scans my face for a second, probably wondering if I really didn’t know. “No girl should walk around alone in a parking lot when it’s dark.”

His thoughtfulness always manages to leave an impact on me, not because I was under the impression that he is any less but it has more do to with the fact that I’ve become so accustomed to taking care of myself that I totally forgot how it feels to have others look after me.

‘’What?’’ Jungkook asks me when I just keep looking at him in awe.

‘’It’s just, it’s nice having someone else look out for me.’’

We start walking in comfortable understanding. ‘’You’ve been having a hard time, haven’t you?’’

I raise my head and seek the skies for a suitable answer. ‘’Now that you say it, I probably was. But I didn’t have a choice, I had to learn to care for myself. There was no one else…’’ He places a comforting hand on my nape and squeezes affectionately, I smile up at him.

Reaching our destination, it’s his turn to greet my brother, who luckily is polite enough to get out and shake Jungkook’s hand.
From my point of view all of this was really humorous, my brother who was only a little bit taller than me, had nothing against Jungkook.
Even though it was the smallest difference, my brother notices too and doesn’t back down, Jungkook isn’t doing anything intentionally but still for me he won. It took a lot of effort not to laugh at this.

Following their prideful staring contest, Jungkook smiles at me, knowing very well what I was thinking about. Taking a step closer to me, not irked at all that my brother was right there, he hands me the plushie bear. ‘’Don’t forget this.’’

Gladly, I take it from his hand and wrap my arms around it, hugging it tightly. ‘’Get home safely and don’t work too hard.’’

I would have said more but my brother was making it pretty evident that he was disapproving. Jungkook nods with a smile, understanding. I walk around the car and when I go to open the passenger door another hand beats me to it.
Jungkook was really laying it on thick, and I couldn’t help but laugh at my brother’s face.

Letting him open the door for me, I watch him as he keeps an eye on my brother as if waiting for something. Just then he quickly looks at me and does the call sign with his hand, inaudibly telling me that he will call me when he can.

I nod, looking forward to it and then, causing my heart to beat wildly, he winks. I press my eyes shut and cover my mouth, keeping back the squeal that was on the tip of my tongue.
When I finally peek at him after a short moment, he gives me the most affectionate smile anyone has ever given me, making me get that warm bubbly feeling inside.

I slide into the passenger’s seat, a tight hold on my bear against my chest in fear that my heart will jump right out.
Jungkook leans down to my level and for a moment I wonder if he’s going to put my seatbelt on, because if so I think I might as well just faint right there.

‘’Have a safe drive, Sir.’’ I release a breath of relief.

Focusing on me, he waves without saying anything, but he doesn’t need to, his eyes express more than enough. My brother starts the engine of his car and Jungkook firmly shuts the door for me, then returns to his own transportation vehicle.

‘’He’s got guts.’’ I look at my brother, raising my eyebrows. ‘’This little rascal.’’
Contrary to his words, the tone of his voice wasn’t harsh nor mean, there was almost something like admiration lying underneath as he too watched Jungkook walk away.

Returning my focus on Jungkook, his steps confident, his back straight, shoulders wide, it’s the first time that I get to admire his back.
Just before he enters the van he turns once more and catches us looking at him, he faces us completely, bows and waves.

Is he trying to make a positive impression on my brother or what? I had a feeling that it’s working.
‘’He likes IU, too.’’ I return the wave, so he could finally get inside.

‘’Is that so?’’ He trails off, while still looking at the now-closed van. ‘’He is in the music industry, isn’t he?’’

‘’Yeah,’’ I respond cautiously. He isn’t going to judge him upon his profession, right?

‘’He always has all those beautiful women around him but he’s with you…’’ I look at him sharply. Is he trying to make me upset?
Finally, he turns his head and gives me a reassuring smile. ‘’You know what that means, right?’’

Thoroughly puzzled, I shake my head.

‘’He’s a smart guy.’’ He pats my head briefly, shifts into gear and drives off.



~~~

btw the concept photos of Jungkook... I've been writing a new vampire story and oh my goood this is exactly how I imagined him to look like in it TT this is too real, I can't deal with this, having a visual of what my head created, not ok bighit, not ok....orz    -K

2018 me: omg how does anyone read this wihtout just dyinggg, this is so corny I had to take a moment and squeeze a cushion to death ;asdkja;lskd man 2015 me was on a roll with the cuteness huh