Beautiful

For You

image

(gif credit)

“And remember, Class, to send it your presentation for the ‘the most beautiful moment in life’. It’s due Monday.” Really? How did I miss that deadline? I haven’t even sat down to look at the pictures that I had taken. Talk about procrastination.

“________-ah!” My head turns towards the classroom door.

I gather my things and walk towards Lee. “How come your teachers always let you leave early?”

“Because I’m great like that.” She flips her hair dramatically. No wonder she’s in drama class. She's a natural.

“I think it’s because the teacher doesn’t want to spend any more seconds with you.” She looks at me with a sour expression.

I grin at her and loop my arm through hers. “I haven’t seen Joon the entire day.” Usually, he is always with Lee.

“He’s not feeling well, his mother forced him to stay home.”

“How come your mothers have to force you to stay home, my mother would have kicked me out personally.”

She skids to a halt looking at me like she’s seen a ghost. “Y-you talked about your mom.”

I look down and frown lightly. “I did, didn’t I?” It was weird that I didn’t feel an overwhelming sadness flooding me.

“He’s making it better, isn’t he?” She says quietly.

I breathe out and nod my head. “Did you know he was there that day?”

She rolls her eyes at me. “There is nothing I don’t know. If you think back to it, I was ogling them that day.”

I giggle. “Oh, yes. I remember. You looked… funny.”

“Don’t mention it, I couldn’t conceal my excitement. I wish I could see them that close again.” She says with a dreamy voice.

“Let me guess, your favorite is Hoseok.” I snicker thinking of the similarity in character between Joon and him.

She seems surprised. “How did you know? I always thought you never listened?”

“I never did,” I admit shamelessly. “But it wasn’t hard to figure out. He’s really funny.”

“I wish I could shake his hand.”

I laugh under my breath. “Ya, you have a boyfriend. Concentrate on him, visit him since he’s sick.”

“I hate how you always burst my bubble. You’re no fun.” She glares at me.

“Fun was never—”

She cuts me off, knowing very well what I was going to say. “I know, I know. I’ve heard it enough. Sometimes I wonder why I’m still your friend.”

Sometimes I wonder how I still have her as a friend. I hug her tight from the side. “But I’m still really glad you’ve stayed with me all these years.”

“Don’t worry, no one gets rid of me that easily. You’re stuck with me for life.” We grin at each other. I can only hope so.

~ ~ ~

Having no one in class to talk to is really terribly awkward and boring. Instead of going to the dancing room, our teacher had notified us that class was going to happen in an actual classroom with chair and tables. Gone were the dreams of having a relaxing class for the end of the school day. Joon would have at least made it more enjoyable, cracking jokes here and there.

For the last hour, we’ve been discussing the differences between a solo performing artist and artists that perform in a group.
At least it was an interesting topic and not history. Whatever history it is, whether the history of photography or the history of paintings, I really always had trouble staying awake.

The teacher claps his hand loudly. “Alright, Class, for the next project, you’ll be choosing a solo male and female artist as your muse and do a dance cover.”

Some of the students groan at having to work by themselves. “Now, I know, a whole dance to learn by yourself, won’t be easy. But I have faith in you. Solo performing artists usually have back up dancers. We’ll leave that out so as not to complicate matters.” He claps his hand loudly once more. “Don’t go and choose someone who is only standing there, go for something challenging.”

The bell rings and the teacher finally dismisses us after throwing that bomb on us.

Great, I’m going to be very busy from now on. The worst is I don’t even know any groups how am supposed to choose a solo artist?

* * * * * *

I pull the beanie lower down over my head as I wait for the delivery man to arrive. I didn’t want the food to get cold on my journey to the company, so I decided to get it delivered to the nearby cafe.

A motorbike stops across the street, I walk over so the delivery man doesn’t have to. After paying, I walk into the cafe and buy some churros and other pastry. I’m sure the guys love these. Walking up the slanted street, this time in daylight I feel much more comfortable.

Taking the stairs up the building, I stop and take out my phone to call Jungkook. He had wanted me to call him prior so he could bring me in. Even though the call goes through, he doesn’t take the call.
I try once more, when he still doesn’t answer the phone, I slip mine back into my pocket and carefully open the office doors. I'm surprised that they are open. 
This time around there is no Seokjin waiting for me, no one was here.

I retrace the steps he had guided me through and open the door to the practice room to find it empty. Oh, no. Are they even here, or did I turn the wrong corner?
Returning back to the entrance, I take every step carefully but end up being in the same room again.

“Booh.”

“Ah, you scared me.” I jump and spin around to see Taehyung grinning at me cheekily.

“_________, you brought us food again?”

“Yes. I wanted to call first but Jungkook-Oppa didn’t answer the call, so I just came in.”

He takes the bags from my hands and starts to walk in another direction. “He’s in the studio, has been there for hours. Whenever he’s in there he puts the phone on silent.”

I look behind me at the practice room. “Isn’t this the room from last time?”

He looks over the shoulder. “Yes. But we will be rehearsing in a bigger room later. Everyone is kind of busy with their own things at the moment.”

“I’m glad you found me, I almost had a small panic attack.”

He chuckles and opens a door for me to enter, Hoseok and Jimin were inside the room, which looked like a small conference room.

“Hello.”

“Oh, hi ________, you came?” Jimin stands up and pats my back.

“Yes, I’m delivering again.”

Hoseok jumps up from the couch excitedly. “You really know a guy’s heart. I am so hungry.”

“I hope it’s enough.”

“Don’t worry, looking at the bags I feel like we will explode.” I giggle at his dramatic hand gesture.

“I’ll go and get the rest.” Taehyung grins as me. “You’ll get Jungkook?”

I smile back, my cheeks feeling warm. “Yes, it’s just left from here right?”

I adjust my laptop bag and make my way over to the studio area. It was quiet, not a lot of people seemed to be around, even the lights were dim in the hallway, but Jungkook had told me that it’s usually the other floors that are busy.

Only one door was illuminated from the inside. Opening the door carefully, I step in and after closer inspection see that Jungkook had fallen asleep on the chair.
His mouth was slightly agape, as his head was lagging to the side. That’s going to be painful when he wakes up.

Placing my bag on the couch, I take a blanket and lay it over him up to his shoulders. Ever so slowly, I move his head so it’s leaning straight instead of a weird angle. But after a moment it drops right back.

Thinking of what to do, I then move down to the floor and try to find the level thing under the chair. I spot it and pull on it making the chair flop backward. I look at Jungkook’s face alarmed that he might wake up. Luckily, his face stays relaxed and I breathe out a sigh of relief.

I stand back up to readjust his head and this time it doesn’t fall to the side, thankfully. Smiling softly, I bend forward to brush his hair away from his eyes, just watching him as he slept peacefully, almost looking like a child.

Watching him for a while longer, I return to the conference room, where everyone else gathered. “Oh, Jungkookie, where is he?”

“He fell asleep.” I open the boxes of food. “You guys start first, maybe he’ll wake up eventually.”

“If you want to wake him, there is only one method,” Seokjin says mysteriously.

“What method?” His voice was making me worry.

He raises his two hands and does a pinching motion. “Normal touching won’t work, you have to pinch his s.”

“What the! That’s so weird.”

“Think about it, it’s weirder that he only reacts to that.” I squeeze my eyes close and grimace at the thought.

“It’s weird in general.” I shudder involuntarily. They all snicker at my expression.

“Ah, I wanted to ask if it’s okay for me to plug in my laptop inside the studio room. There is some homework that I need to do.”

“Of course, but don’t you want to eat first?” Seokjin regards me with a worried expression.

I shake my head. “I ate before I came here, this is all for you.”

“Still, take this,” He hands me one of the boxes. “Just in case.”

He really is like a parent. “Thank you. Enjoy the food.”

I leave them to it and carry the box back to the studio, with Jungkook still sleeping there motionless. For a split second I think of waking him using Seokjin’s method but then I shake my head and lightly slap my own face. The wind must have blown my brain away.

Since it was pretty cozy and warmer in here, I take off my beanie and jacket, leaving me with a thin sweater.

Laptop out, I get to work on the presentation and connect my camera. I scroll through the photos and frown when I see a few that I’m sure I hadn’t taken. I recognize the amusement park. It was a shot of the scenery, the center point a bulletin board with a girl standing in front of it. Hold on, that's me? But wasn’t my camera….

In a flash, I remember that Jungkook had carried it around his neck the whole day. Clicking on another one, I can’t help but giggle thinking back to the bear. He must have taken this one in the store with me touching all those bears, excitement on my face. The next picture shows him taking a photo of himself and the bear inside the store with a funny expression.

Continuing, I frown when I see the next photo. There is no way that he could have taken that because his arms were both lowered. One in my hold and the other on his thigh. I had my head on his shoulder and his head was on mine. The two of us had fallen asleep in the bus. It was a cute photo since we were both wearing beanies, we looked like a couple.
Switching to the next photo, I understand at once. It shows Lee and Joon taking a snapshot of the four of us with them pulling derpy faces next to our sleeping forms.

I laugh but remember sleeping Jungkook and cover my mouth. Oops.

I’m glad they took these pictures, it was a memorable day with them. A birthday I will never forget.

image

(gif credit)

30 minutes into working on the project I stand up and stretch a bit, my back cracking from sitting for such a long time. The loud ringtone of my phone goes off bouncing off the walls of the studio. I quickly step around Jungkook and close the door behind me.

“Hello?”

“Why are you whispering?” Joon, on the other line, whispers as well.

“Oh, it’s you.”

“How come you always sound so disappointed when I call?” I could imagine him putting on a hurtful expression.

“You always call during the most unsuitable situations.”

“I’m hurt by your words, Friend.” His voice sounded hoarse.

I grimace. “Are you still very sick?”

“I think I caught a cold from Lee.”

“Don’t lie, that was weeks ago.” I can hear him coughing on the other line. “Maybe you shouldn’t speak too much. You can send me a message if it’s better.”

“No, no. I’m going crazy talking to myself. I just wanted to ask you about the new assignment we got in dancing class.”

“Ah, that. Teacher told us to learn a choreography of a solo artist, male for you, and I quote 'don’t choose someone who is just standing there, make it a challenge’.”

He chuckles hoarsely, making me wince. “Who are you going to choose?”

I lean against the wall. “If only I knew, I’ll have to do some research. Someone come to your mind?”

“I was thinking maybe Lee Taemin or Jang Hyunseung.” He responds thoughtfully.

“Yeah, I have no idea who they are.”

“Ha, of course you wouldn’t. The only people you know are Bangtan.”

“I know other people.” I retort defensively.

“We all know you don’t.” He says like a know-it-all. “But you should check out their solo performances.”

“If I find the time, I might.” I push away from the wall and turn the handle.

“Alright, Friend, I’ll let you return to whatever you were doing. Thanks for the info.”

“Yeah, no problem. Get well soon, I missed you in class this Friday. It was incredibly boring.” I admit with a smile.

“I can only imagine. I’ll be back by Tuesday, I hope.” He sounded desperate. “This isolation is driving me crazy.” We say our goodbyes and I walk back into the warmer studio.

I check on Jungkook, who was still sleeping and adjust the blanket that must have fallen off when he moved because his head was slacked to the side again. Carefully, I put my hand against the side of his face and move it to the center.

Out of nowhere, a hand grabs mine, giving me a small fright. “Aish, why does everyone keep scaring me today…” I mutter under my breath as his eyes slowly open sleepily, yet cutely.

“You came?” Jungkook mutter, his voice raspy from the sleep.

I sit down on the stool behind me since his hand was still holding mine. “Eoh, I called you beforehand, but you must have put your phone on silent.” He squeezes my hand for a moment then releases it to stretch and yawn cutely while sitting up.
“Oh,” I say surprised and lean closer to his face to make sure I hadn’t imagined it. “I never noticed you had a dimple.”

“To be honest, I didn’t even know that this was a dimple." He blinks a few times from the tears of yawning, the sigh making me smile.

’'I guess, it only shows when you yawn,” I purse my lips. “Or make funny faces.” He still looks sleepy, his eyes half closed. “Didn’t you get any sleep last night?”

His lips lift up at the corners as he leans in. “You’re so cute when you worry.”

I cross my arms over my chest. “I’m not even doing anything.”

“Then I guess your face is just cute.”

I playfully slap his arm. “Ya!”

Laughing entertained, the blanket starts to fall to the ground, he catches it before it does and I take it from him with a glare, putting it back to where I got it. “You really brought fried food.”

I look over my shoulder to see him peeking inside the box. “Yeah, go ahead and eat. The others already have theirs finished probably.” Jungkook looks happy to hear that, he opens the box and rubs his hands excitedly.

My phone chimes once again, signaling a message. I take it out from the back of my jean pocket and look at Jungkook when he calls my name. “Hm?”

“Sit.” He pats the stool and I do as I am told. Eyebrows raised expectantly, I wait for him to elaborate. He takes out the plastic fork and feeds me some fried chicken. Or at least he tries to.

“No, no… I already ate.” I lean my head back but the chicken keeps coming closer.

“Aaah.” He instructs, determined. I glare at him for a few seconds but when he only smiles, I relent and let him feed me. As soon as I take a bite, he looks pleased and a little bit smug, then proceeds to have some himself.

Chewing on the food, I check my messages to see a funny picture of Joon, passed out on the table with a bowl of rice porridge next to his head. I burst out laughing at the caption he edited in, I cover my mouth.

'If I have to eat one more spoon of this gooey stuff, I’ll explode into water and rice.’

“Why?” Jungkook asks curiously, having already put in the next chicken. I show him the screen and he smiles amused.

“You know he reminds me of Hoseok-ssi.” I think that one over. “Although, I feel like Joon is a little bit more….” Which word to use? Annoying, out of it, idiotic, annoying?

“How long have you known him?” His mouth is stuffed with food.

“A little bit more than a year.” I brace my elbow on the table and lean my head on my hand. “I met him through Lee.” Just as I’m about to explain more he stuffs some more chicken into my mouth.

Looking happy and satisfied, he just continues to also stuff his own mouth with chicken, his cheeks bulging like a bunny.
After my mouth is empty enough for me to talk, I try again. “I actually only enrolled into SOPA this year. And-”

Jungkook hovers some more chicken in front of my lips, interrupting me. I glare at him but open my mouth since he looked so joyful feeding me. Kind of like a child feeding an animal. Did I just call myself an animal?

“Do you have some songs in there?” I nod at the computer screen.

“Yeah, do you want to listen to something?” He keeps the fork between his lips and moves the mouse.

“Something with Oppa’s voice.” I request and take the fork to eat some of the fried fish inside the box.

“I thought you liked V-Hyung’s voice more?” He regards me with an eyebrow arched.

I look back at him sweetly. “I think your singing yesterday changed my opinion.”

Smirking now, he focuses on the screen, somehow I think back to the moment we had yesterday and I wish I could rewind my own stupidity.

Powerful violin begins to play from the speakers making me jump. The many string instruments reach a and then the music drops, piano sounds leading in as Jungkook’s voice fills the room.
“~I’m sitting alone on the sofa where you used to be~” His voice was low and soulful, cutting right into my heart from the very beginning.

The piano a stark contrast to his dreamy, flowing voice. “~I’m just blankly staring at the front door… I try closing my eyes and covering my ears~” His voice gets more intense as the melody picks up.His falsetto setting off a very melancholy and sad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

“~I’m alone on the sofa~” With a backing track mixed into the chorus part and his own vocals layered harmoniously, this part blows me away in particular. “~where you used to be~” The message of grief and heartache is conveyed clearly by the lower hidden vocals.

As the chorus ends, the beat stays giving the song a different feel. “~The longing that spread throughout the room, I couldn’t place it in my heart, ooh~” Wuah, goosebumps.
From low and husky to clear and soulful, it all makes me melt right in my seat as the chorus starts once more.

During the end of the bridge, as his voice gets higher and more emotional, I can only listen in awe. The intense backtrack drops away leaving only the piano as it accompanies his sad wailing voice, leading me into a trance-like state. 
The song finishes with his voice heavily echoing in my ear, and I wonder if it’s the song itself or if I was just too captured by his incredible vocals.

I blink a few times as reality sets back in and I can only stare at the computer screen.

Turning to Jungkook, I am startled to find his head lying on top of his arm, watching me with a small smile. “How is it?”

By the look on my face, I’m sure he could tell really well, what I thought of the song. ‘’Mhm…the song is really beautiful.’’

‘’And?’’ He murmurs into his arm.

‘’And your voice is really….’’ I ponder tilting my head, searching for the right words. ‘’Strikingly vivid.’’
I try to elaborate more, admiration clear in my voice. ‘’I could feel the sorrow through your voice. Your voice is really rich with emotion and passion. It feels like I’m still in a daze as if the impact never left me.’’ I finish, not really understanding what I just blurted out.

Again, I look at the computer screen, very much stuck inside the song. A hand my hair lovingly. ‘’You’re really beautiful.’’

Jungkook’s sudden compliment throws me off even more than the song. I peer at him, stunned. ‘’Why are you suddenly…?’’

He sits up, his eyes on me, fond. ‘’It’s not all of a sudden. I always think you are beautiful.’’

His words turn me into mush, I sway. ‘’Where did you learn to say these things?’’

‘’It’s you.’’ He declares, serious. His gaze roaming around my face in wonder. ‘’Only with you.’’
At his sweet words, my body can’t help but react. The heat rushes to my cheeks, my heart pounds faster and the fluttery sensation returns.

The door behind Jungkook opens as a head pokes in. ‘’Oh, Jungkookie you’re awake.’’ Our moment broken, I look away coyly. ‘’We’re starting rehearsal now.’’

Jungkook turns in his chair, facing Seokjin. ‘’I’m coming, Hyung.’’

Jin moves back and closes the door. ‘’This might sound weird but Seokjin feels very caring, kinda like a mother would.’’

‘’A lot of ARMYs call him ‘Mom Jin’’’

We stand up and I move over to my laptop to put it in sleeping mode. ‘’ARMY? I heard Yoongi-ssi saying that a few times but what is ARMY?’’

‘’Every fanbase has an official name. Ours is called ARMY.’’ He explains with patience waiting for me at the door leaning on the frame.

I take my sketchbook and my pencil case with me. ‘’Bangtan Sonyeondan’s ARMY. I think it’s cute.’’

He smiles and shoots a glance at my makeshift working area. ‘’If there’s some work you need to finish, you don’t have to come.’’

‘’No, that’s fine. There isn’t much left.’’

Leading the way, I can see that he is tense, although it makes me worried, I don’t ask him what it is. Somehow, I have a feeling it’s due to all the stress caused by his busy schedule. 
We step in and the first thing I see is the bed pushed to the side, I look at it weirdly. This room was much bigger than the other one, the tables were put against the walls and a bunch of chairs were stacked in the corner.

Even though I had planned to sketch something, I found it more interesting to watch them be in their element as they practice. Bangtan is really amazing.



~~~

Anyone still alive? ...Anyone? No? Yeah, same. Hehe that MV teaser... I keep rewatching it just so I can scream a bit more every time.... also solo songs for each of them??? That's what they wanted to do since INU era... so proud, I wanna cry T.T