Prologue

For You

image

Originally posted by kpopbandsgifs

Assignment.

Assignment.

Assignment.

I stare at my blank sketch pad, trying to think of anything else but the word ‘assignment’. Which is exactly what I had been doing for the last 10 minutes since I sat down at the local café.

''Draw something that shows emotion well'', my teacher had said.

It had sounded so easy when I first heard it but now actually having to do it proved to be more difficult than I imagined. Sighing loudly, I drop my head into my arms on the table, closing my eyes and resting for a bit.

After a while, I hear someone approaching me, without looking up I know exactly who it is. ‘’Don’t even think about it, Lee.’’

Lee, my childhood friend, has a tendency to sneak up on people and tickle them and lucky me, I happen to be incredibly ticklish and also lucky me, I'm one of the few people in her life. That shows how much I have to suffer through her.

The chair across from me drags across the floor as she sits down and joins me in my misery. ‘’You’re no fun, you know that?’’

‘’Fun was never a condition in our friendship description. You know that.’’ I joke, lift my head and give her a weak smile. ‘’Shouldn’t you be behind the counter or something like that?’’

‘’Nope, as you can see yourself, today is not a busy day.’’ She takes something from her apron pocket and holds it out to me. I look at her phone suspiciously. 

‘’You’re not trying to show me music videos again, right?’’

By the sheepish look in her eyes, I can already tell that this was exactly her plan. “Just one, trust me you will love them, they are so—” Thankfully, she gets interrupted by her name being called as a group of boys had just entered and sat down the table in front of me.

I watch as she sulkily stands up to get their order. Suddenly, she straightens up her posture as if she'd spotted the president or run into her mother, both just as scary.

Confused, I follow her gaze to find her gaping at one of the boys that just came in, she should close , from my point of view it wasn’t her most attractive moment.

Letting her be her creepy self, I focus back on my assignment and stare at the blank page trying and failing to visualize emotion.
Now, that I was thinking about emotion and not assignment, all I could think about was the actual word ‘emotion’.

Ugh. Pouting and frowning at the same time, I was planning on abandoning this task when my phone chimes inside the pocket of my school blazer.

Somehow, I had a feeling that it was none other than the person standing behind the counter typing her fingers off on a small device instead of working on orders. She is going to get fired one day and then I'll have to follow her.

Oh my god!

What?

What is she getting so excited about?

I can’t believe he is here, oh my god!

Who is where? Frowning in confusing, I look around the café, only seeing a few couples and a group of boys sitting ‘here’.

Who are you talking about?

Are you crazy, can you not see? Them, there, right in front of you, idiot!

I blink and stare at the screen. Did she just call me an idiot?

YA, WHO ARE YOU CALLING AN IDIOT?!

I respond, offended, and turn my phone on silent ignoring her completely. Sometimes, she can really get on every last nerve by being overdramatic.
Puffing out an air of annoyance, I look away from my phone and at the group in front of me, thinking that maybe they are the reason she was so worked up.

Looking them over, I'm surprised to see that they don’t seem to be the same age. They all had different heights and didn't seem to be siblings either.
Catching my attention is who I think to be the youngest because everyone was messing with him in a joking manner. He had round eyes, a little bit downturned at the corners, making him appear innocent and cute.

With him already being handsome in a boyish way, he’ll be catching everyone’s eye in no time.
The boy next to him was trying to hug him but even as he was pushing him away, from the distance I could tell that it was only halfheartedly. What gave it away the most is that he was smiling happily.

His smile. How do I put it in words? His eyes are the one thing holding my attention the most. It was that kind of smile that made your eyes almost disappear because you were smiling so heavily. His eyes curve down even more at the corners, it made him look incredibly adorable, and his lips almost formed a soft triangle shape matching his smiling eyes.

This moment was carefree. It made me smile myself.

And out of nowhere, I suddenly feel the urge to sketch something. So, I lower my eyes to the still blank page and sketch away.

After a while, having almost finished sketching what I believe would ace my assignment, I can’t help but look up at the boys and catch the one with the beautiful smile, with his eyebrows raised in curiosity, looking at my sketchbook.
Ever since I started drawing as a hobby, I was really protective of my unfinished work by nature. Even though he probably couldn’t see anything clearly from where he sat, I block his view with my arms out of habit.

He instantly looks up, his gaze meeting mine, and he looks like a deer caught in headlight. Not wanting to seem rude, I give him a friendly smile and bow my head slightly. He hastily returns the manner but soon after drops his head in embarrassment, not before I see him biting his bottom lip.

Seeing him flustered like that, I can’t help but grin. It’s rare to see boys being so shy. He’s really cute.

I look away from him, not wanting to make him more uncomfortable and I notice my phone’s notification light blinking.
13 missed calls from my brother.

I frown but am however happy to have him call me, he is usually too busy these days to even talk to me.

I call back instantly, looking forward to hearing his voice. He picks up at once. But the things he tells me, make all the happiness I had felt drain away. My smile vanishes. A sudden chill overtakes my body.
When he finishes, I only hear a disturbing ringing in my ear, causing all the surrounding noise to disappear. My vision gets blurry as I drop my phone from the shaking of my hands.

It isn’t until Lee is standing in front of me and trying to speak to me, that I realize that I had in fact stood up from my chair and garnered the attention of everyone around me. Everyone was staring.

“What’s wrong?” Lee’s worried voice finally reaches my ears as the ringing dissolves into silence. ‘’Why are you crying?’’

I snap out of it and only then do I notice the tears streaming down my face, pass my trembling lips, dropping onto the paper, my brother’s message finally registering.

Not a second later, I am reaching for my bag and phone with still shaky hands and storm out of the café, while doing so bumping into a chair. The pain doesn't even register.

The aching in my heart was way too consuming for me to feel any physical pain.

 

~~~
A/N:
Soooo, did you like it?
I’m actually super relieved to finally be able to post this, you don’t even know how long I have been working on this, now I’m just really excited to be able to share it with you.
The first chapters are usually quite boring, so you will just have to bear with me.

Thanks again for reading and sorry for any mistakes ^^  -K