Friends or Enemies

Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gong Seung Yeon struggles detaching herself from the comfort of her bed – the only place she’s at peace with. For the entire ten-minute time, she’s just staring at the blankness of her ceiling still thinking of her decisions to finally end things with Jong Hyun. She tried to shy away from the people around her for the past few days after her heartbreaking confrontation with him. If not for Inkigayo recordings and some magazine photoshoots, she would continue to lock herself inside the four corners of her apartment. She barely sees her family as well since then especially Jeong Yeon who has been very busy with twice promotions. This time she does not want to make her family worry about her condition again. Her family has been a constant support to her problems since the beginning but she can’t also deny the fact that they have accepted and loved Jong Hyun as a family as well. She can still feel how much her parents are hoping that the two will still end up together. But she has decided - all she wants now is to move on and start a new life without ant traces of him though it still pains her over and over again. Things did not end up the way they dreamed about it – them getting married after his enlistment.  This has been agreed by both of their families but things turned out cold and bitter.

 

“Noona!” a cheerful voice rings on her ear after answering the phone buzzing in the bedside table.

“Noona? Yah! Kim Min Seok! What do you want?” Seung Yeon lazily answers in her usual bedroom voice.

“Noona. Is there a problem? You can tell Oppa.” Min-seok tries to play around with the thought of making Seung Yeon confess her problem.

“Why? What are you talking about?” She starts to act cool and unruffled by his question. Obviously, she doesn’t want to tell it no anybody.

“Nothing. I’m just worried something is bothering you lately. I noticed you’re always in a hurry to go home after recordings and you always wanted to stay at home. You didn’t even bother to attend my birthday party.” He reasons out with aegyo to make her feel guilty.

“Ohh. I Know what you’re doing. Don’t act like you’re a very observant person. I know you well Min-seok-ssi…” She responds with sarcasm in her voice.

“Noona. Sang Yeob hyung called me last night. He wants us to hang out sometime this week, if you’re free.” His tone sounds tensed and worried, as if he doesn’t want to tell her about this invitation.  

“Min Seok-ah…” She expresses with a little sigh. She knows where this conversation is all about. She pauses for a little thinking of her next words.

“I know what you’re doing. I told you three years ago there’s no chance of me and Sang Yeob. I love him as an older brother.” She cuts him right away from his hidden intention.

“This Noona! What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with him. He did not instruct me to be a cupid again. He just wants to spend time with us. Besides, I know why you can’t accept his love all this time.” He gives a quick response to her irritation. The line becomes silent as she doesn’t respond right away. 

“Noona…I hope you being distant these days have nothing to do with him again, especially now that he’s back. I am soo worried. I am sorry Noona…” He continues with so much seriousness in his voice. He sounds like he really means to be sorry to her and to what happened.

 “This has nothing to do with you, don’t worry. Let’s stop this drama. You’re making me sad. Can I make it up to you for not attending your birthday party? I have nothing to do today. I’ll fetch you in your house after an hour?”  She excitedly invites him.

“Yes Noona. This has nothing to do with me...” He whispers over the phone while slowly walking towards his couch.

“Game! I promise I’ll make you feel better Noona!” He immediately shifts his mood trying to reassure her. He ends the call and rests his back on the comfort of his white couch, thinking how hard it must have been for her all these time. He’s thinking about how unfair it is for her to be caught under the dilemma of a failed relationship with someone you really love.  

 

The bell in his unit suddenly rings right in the middle of his deeps thoughts. Not expecting any guests, he goes towards the door with a puzzled look in his face. He moves his face closer to the peephole and suddenly he feels unrelaxed and nervous.  

“Hyung!” He tries his best to sound happy rather than surprised. A forced smile escapes his mouth.

“Surprised?” Sang Yeob shoves off the door and freely enters his house.

“No. I was just in the phone with Seung Yeon-ah…a few minutes ago.” He says after clearing his throat.

“I asked her out like what you said Hyung.” He continues like a personal reporter trailing on his back inside.

“And?” Sang Yeob comfortably sits on his couch waiting for his answer.

“She said no. She doesn’t even want to see me at all. I guess we need to leave her alone for now.” Min-seok carefully executing his lies. Feeling how shaky his eyes are at the moment, he swallows the lump forming inside his mouth. He suddenly feels sweaty; he can’t look at Sang Yeob. Suddenly he feels like he is betraying his hyung who is like a brother to him. For some unknown reason, he knows it is better to lie this time.

“No surprise about that. She obviously has feelings for him until now. She met up with that guy again.” Sang Yeob speaks with frustration in his voice.

“How did you know?” Min-seok replies in an instant, worry transcends in his questioning voice.  Sang Yeob then extends his arm with a piece of white envelope, handing i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter