C H A P T E R F O U R

Through The Funeral

Baekhyun’s hands were wrapped around her shoulders. Her eyes were closed. But her soul is still there. “What are you thinking about?”, Baekhyun asked, his voice was soothing and relaxing.

She opened her eyes, just slightly. “I’m thinking about you.”, she spoke, with a teasing smile. Baekhyun let out a soft chuckle as he tightened his wrap around her shoulder. They were both sitting under a tree just nearby their school.

The air became silence, but it was the good kind of silence. The two of them had become more and more comfortable around each other and Gyu Won loved every single moment.

     She travelled her eyes onto Baekhyun’s eyes. They were both smiling. And it seems like nothing on earth could ever destroy them.

“Hey, Gyu?”, Baekhyun spoke, calling her by her nickname. “Hm?”, she answered short.

 

              “I Love you.”.

And that was the first time Baekhyun had ever said the ‘L’ word.


C H A P T E R  F O U R

It was already morning, and Gyu Won immediately went to check on Baekhyun.

She was surprised to see that Baekhyun was not on the couch he was sleeping on yesterday and worry hits her almost immediately. Suddenly, she heard the sound of the toilet flushing.

 

She turned her head to the bathroom and saw Baekhyun with his eye still half closed walking out of the bathroom. She sighed in relief as she walked toward Baekhyun.

“How are you?”, she asked. Baekhyun smiled sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck using his palm. “I’m good… I’m so sorry for last night, that was embarrassing….”, He spoke, his eyes lowering to the floor.

Gyu Won smiled back just slightly. “It’s nothing, baek. Plus, I would never leave you just like that. You could’ve gotten sick.”, She spoke. “Or worse, kidnapped.”, she added jokingly.

Baekhyun laughed as he nodded. “You’re right, you’re right.”, he spoke with a surrendering tone. “Ugh, I should be heading home by now. Again, thank you so much for everything.”, He spoke as her eyes widened.

No, no. You can’t leave. Not yet, at least.

“W-Why don’t you grab breakfast first? Since you’re already h-here..”, She knows that she possibly sounded very desperate, but she doesn’t want the man to leave.

 

Baekhyun stared into her with slight wide eyes. “Don’t you have to work?”, he asked, out of pure curiosity.

“Y-Yeah, but my shift starts at 10, it’s only 8…”, She spoke, trying her best to convince him. Baekhyun smiled. “Alright then.”, he spoke. “Oh, and then we can take the bus together to the funeral. I want to visit my wife.”, he added, his smile turning slightly sad.

She stared into him as she nodded. “Yeah sure, be seated. I’ll cook something.” , She spoke as Baekhyun smiled. “Okay.”

 

A plate full of scrambled eggs was placed on the table as Baekhyun stared into it hungrily. Gyu Won let out a chuckle. “You’re very hungry, aren’t you?”, she spoke as Baekhyun smiled just slightly.

She passed a bag of bread toward Baekhyun as Baekhyun thanked her.

 

“So, what have you been up? I mean, are you working now?”, She spoke, starting the conversation. Baekhyun nodded. “Yeah, I’ve been teaching math at a secondary school just nearby my house, it’s just for temporary until next month.”, He answered as he starts eating his egg filled bread.

She nodded as a sign of listening. “I see. Yeah since high school you had always been interested in teaching.”, she spoke. “I’m glad you’re able to pursue your dreams.”, she added with a soft smile.

Baekhyun stared into her. “How about you..?”, He asked, there’s a bit slight of hesitate in his tone. “Didn’t you say you wanted to become a designer?”, he asked, his mouth had stopped chewing.

She lowered her eyes as she silenced. Her finger had stopped buttering the bread and was shut tightly.

 

“It had changed. I took a degree in psychology now. Two more years before I graduate.”, she spoke with a soft smile. The look in her eyes had darkened, and baekhyun couldn’t help but to notice.

“H-How come it changed? You were so passionate about being a designer…”, Baekhyun spoke, curiosity filling his tone. She let out a soft, barely audible sigh.

She silenced and continued buttering her bread; she really wasn’t comfortable talking about this topic. But Baekhyun doesn’t seem like he’s going to give up.

“What’s wrong, Gyu Won..?”, Baekhyun spoke, worry filling his tone. “Hey, talk to me.”, He added, his eyes gazing deeply to hers.

“Because you left me! You didn’t know how much it tore me apart! I had to see a therapist, just to get you out of my ing mind!”, She slightly yelled, tears threatening to fall. Baekhyun was speechless; he wasn’t sure how to react.

The air became silence, and the two of them were staring into each other very deeply.

 

Upon realizing what she had done, she immediately wiped her eye and lowered her face. “I’m sorry, I really am, I-I didn’t know what had gotten into me….”, she spoke, apologizing as her face turns red in embarrassment. She just had to ruin everything, she thought.

Baekhyun stared into her as he then turned his gaze away. “N-No, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked, I didn’t know it was a sensitive issue.”, he spoke with a low tone.

Her eyes lingered around the table. “I’m sorry, please eat. I’ll be taking a bath. If you feel like taking a bath, there’s a guest bathroom just by there. I’ll see you back at 10 and we can go to the funeral together.”, She spoke quickly as she stood up, leaving Baekhyun alone by the table.

 

 

Baekhyun silenced as he wasn’t sure what to do. He wanted to call her name and apologize, but it seems like leaving her alone is the best decision. He felt guilty, without himself knowing why.